Robert Fisk article on Arab Racism towards migrant workers.

awan4ever

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
fisk.jpg

Robert Fisk: Arab Spring has washed the region's appalling racism out of the news

Robert Fisk

Monday, 7 May 2012

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...ppalling-racism-out-of-the-news-7718707.html#
How many tracts, books, documentaries, speeches and doctoral theses have been written and produced about Islamophobia? How many denunciations have been made against the Sarkozys and the Le Pens and the Wilders for their anti-immigration (for which, read largely anti-Muslim) policies or let us go down far darker paths against the plague of Breivik-style racism?

The problem with all this is that Muslim societies or shall we whittle this down to Middle Eastern societies? are allowed to appear squeaky-clean in the face of such trash, and innocent of any racism themselves.

A health warning, therefore, to all Arab readers of this column: you may not like this week's rant from yours truly. Because I fear very much that the video of Alem Dechasa's recent torment in Beirut is all too typical of the treatment meted out to foreign domestic workers across the Arab world (there are 200,000 in Lebanon alone).

Many hundreds of thousands have now seen the footage of 33-year-old Ms Dechasa being abused and humiliated and pushed into a taxi by Ali Mahfouz, the Lebanese agent who brought her to Lebanon as a domestic worker. Ms Dechasa was transported to hospital where she was placed in the psychiatric wing and where, on 14 March, she hanged herself. She was a mother of two and could not stand the thought of being deported back to her native Ethiopia. That may not have been the only reason for her mental agony.

Lebanese women protested in the centre of Beirut, the UN protested, everyone protested. Ali Mahfouz has been formally accused of contributing to her death. But that's it.

The Syrian revolt, the Bahraini revolution, the Arab Awakening, have simply washed Alem Dechasa's tragedy out of the news. How many readers know for example that not long before Ms Dechasa's death, a Bengali domestic worker was raped by a policeman guarding her at a courthouse in the south Lebanese town of Nabatieh, after she had been caught fleeing an allegedly abusive employer?

As the Lebanese journalist Anne-Marie El-Hage has eloquently written, Ms Dechasa belonged to "those who submit in silence to the injustice of a Lebanese system that ignores their human rights, a system which literally closes its eyes to conditions of hiring and work often close to slavery". All too true.

How well I recall the Sri Lankan girl who turned up in Commodore Street at the height of the Israeli siege and shelling of West Beirut in 1982, pleading for help and protection. Like tens of thousands of other domestic workers from the sub-continent, her passport had been taken from her the moment she began her work as a domestic "slave" in the city; and her employers had then fled abroad to safety taking the girl's passport with them so she could not leave herself. She was rescued by a hotel proprietor when he discovered that local taxi drivers were offering her a "bed" in their vehicles in return for sex.

Everyone who lives in Lebanon or Jordan or Egypt or Syria, for that matter, or especially the Gulf, is well aware of this outrage, albeit cloaked in a pious silence by the politicians and prelates and businessmen of these societies.

In Cairo, I once remarked to the Egyptian hosts at a dinner on the awful scars on the face of the young woman serving food to us. I was ostracised for the rest of the meal and thankfully never invited again.

Arab societies are dependent on servants. Twenty-five per cent of Lebanese families have a live-in migrant worker, according to Professor Ray Jureidini of the Lebanese American University in Beirut. They are essential not only for the social lives of their employers (housework and caring for children) but for the broader Lebanese economy.

Yet in the Arab Gulf, the treatment of migrant labour male as well as female has long been a scandal. Men from the subcontinent often live eight to a room in slums even in the billionaires' paradise of Kuwait and are consistently harassed, treated as third-class citizens, and arrested on the meanest of charges.

Saudi Arabia long ago fell into the habit of chopping off the heads of migrant workers who were accused of assault or murder or drug-running, after trials that bore no relation to international justice. In 1993, for example, a Christian Filipino woman accused of killing her employer and his family was dragged into a public square in Dammam and forced to kneel on the ground where her executioner pulled her scarf from her head before decapitating her with a sword.

Then there was 19-year old Sithi Farouq, a Sri Lankan housemaid accused of killing her employer's four-year-old daughter in 1994. She claimed her employer's aunt had accidentally killed the girl. On 13 April, 1995, she was led from her prison cell in the United Arab Emirates to stand in a courtyard in a white abaya gown, crying uncontrollably, before a nine-man firing squad which shot her down. It was her 20th birthday. God's mercy, enshrined in the first words of the Koran, could not be extended to her, it seems, in her hour of need.

mrk123

I am sure some people are frantically googling Fisk's ancestry right now to make the connection to you know where ;-)

mrk123

Beirut is a place where you will be hard pressed to find wahabis....anyway, its not about the sect or religion its all about the racist mindset.

Why do people even go to these shi--tty places... those wahabis are worse than kafirs.

mrk123

Yes, and all those decades that he had been painstakingly working to document the excesses of the zionists against the palestinians was a cover for his work for the yahoodis - double agent!!!! ;-)

OH MY GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD! FISK IS YAHOODI AGENT-WA!
shhh.gif
silly.gif
silly.gif
silly.gif
silly.gif
silly.gif
silly.gif
silly.gif
silly.gif
silly.gif
silly.gif

Vitamin_C

Beirut is a place where you will be hard pressed to find wahabis....anyway, its not about the sect or religion its all about the racist mindset.

Agree but i was speaking about Arabs in general... Ive witnessed first hand how immigration officers in UAE airports misbehave with Bangladeshis, they taunt them and harass them and shout at them... I have no respect for these Kaafirs.

Izzat dene wala bhi aur izzat lene wala bhi Allah hai. In kaafiron ko guroor kis baat ka hai.

mrk123

Well, I don't dare interfere in Allah's domain - He is the only judge of who is kafir and who is not. I stay away from these tasks as I am utterly incapable - in fact I believe all mortals are.

As I said it has nothing to do with religion or sect and has everything to do with the racist mindset.

Agree but i was speaking about Arabs in general... Ive witnessed first hand how immigration officers in UAE airports misbehave with Bangladeshis, they taunt them and harass them and shout at them... I have no respect for these Kaafirs.

Izzat dene wala bhi aur izzat lene wala bhi Allah hai. In kaafiron ko guroor kis baat ka hai.

cefspan

Minister (2k+ posts)
agree but i was speaking about arabs in general... Ive witnessed first hand how immigration officers in uae airports misbehave with bangladeshis, they taunt them and harass them and shout at them... I have no respect for these kaafirs.

Izzat dene wala bhi aur izzat lene wala bhi allah hai. In kaafiron ko guroor kis baat ka hai.

well, i don't dare interfere in allah's domain - he is the only judge of who is kafir and who is not. I stay away from these tasks as i am utterly incapable - in fact i believe all mortals are.

As i said it has nothing to do with religion or sect and has everything to do with the racist mindset.

ooooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllll!

Afraheem

Senator (1k+ posts)
یہ سب سچ ہے لیکن شرم کی بات ہے یہ عرب آج بھی اپنے عرب ہونے پر بہت فخر کرتے ہیں اور آپ کی اطلاح کے لیے عرض ہے کے ان کے نزدیک آپ کا مسلم ہونا کوئی حثیت نہیں رکھتا ہر قوم میں اچھے بھی ہوتے ہیں مگر بہت کم

mrk123

They must be in a quandary right now. Beirut is a tricky place. They can't just go out and criticize without knowing the sect of of the culprit - if it happens to be one of their adversarial sects then they will be all praise for Fisk otherwise if he is one of their fellow sectarian brothers then Fisk will be a yahoodi working for you know who....

Lets see when the apologists for the racist Arabs come forward to defend their 'Holy Brethren'. ;)

Mansoor Khan

Senator (1k+ posts)
Lets see when the apologists for the racist Arabs come forward to defend their 'Holy Brethren'. ;)

holy brthren ya unholy. yaar yahan europe mei arab ke sath wasta ajaye tu khuda yaad ajayega. yahan ankh band karke ap ko ye yaqeen karna parega ke ap ke employees mei jo arab hai wo chor hoga aur aisa hi hota hai. aur jahalat itni ziada ke mei apko kia batao.

shassan655

Senator (1k+ posts)
Guys...stop bashing Robert Fisk...he is a very well known writer and his assessments are always on the mark. I have watched and listened to him at several occasions and never found him bashing muslims or muslim world for no apparent reason. Before the rant starts, I would recommend you to listen to his speeches about Israel, US, UK foreign policies and then Judge him.

Salaam

awan4ever

Guys...stop bashing Robert Fisk...he is a very well known writer and his assessments are always on the mark. I have watched and listened to him at several occasions and never found him bashing muslims or muslim world for no apparent reason. Before the rant starts, I would recommend you to listen to his speeches about Israel, US, UK foreign policies and then Judge him.

Salaam

Sarcasm yani tanz ....

Shaid aap naye hein yahan...kuch batein tanzia kahi jaati hein...

Lodhi

Ms Dechasa being abused and humiliated and pushed into a taxi by Ali Mahfouz

Kabhi kabhi ayna bhe dekh lena chahye, chahay woh koi Yahudi he dikha raha hoo.
I read the article, its almost 100 Correct what he stated here. We know this all we some time say this is bad but we close our eyes just because they are our Muslim Brothers. And if Any Western person tries to open our eyes to see the facts on ground we started yelling they are Jews they this they are that. But unfortunately we dont try to correct ourselves. This is why we are going down day by day morally, ethically and of course in every thing.

Last edited:

ranaji

President (40k+ posts)
ahl a yahood alarabia racism ke sabb saay baarey champions hain

Justice.Yes

MPA (400+ posts)
AOA
Just 'horrified'...things like that happen all the time in our country also...have you ever seen anyone coming to the aid of the person victimized...same thing happening here in Lebanon...additionally Lebanon is ex French Colony and half of them are Christians and the other majority are Shia-Muslims...please don't think for a moment that this can be condoned, as a matter of fact people like that should be put to death...Islam came to remove this very 'ignorance' which the Arabs were suffering 1400 years ago and unfortunately are suffering from it to this very day...as matter of fact many of the 'ills' suffered at that time, the World is suffering from them today...theft, killing, rape, women as sex objects, deceit, false witness, racism, slavery, invasions, greed, etc. etc...don't you agree...regardless of who Robert Fisk maybe but what he is saying is there any Truth to it...because if Truth be told does it matter who & where it comes from so long as it is the 'Truth'

mrk123

Brother, largely agree with what you wrote.

As your status suggests - you are new here. Sometimes cynics like me use sarcasm to get our point across to a select group of folks - sort of like inside jokes. I guess you will know when you spend a little more time here or maybe because of that you may not stay for too long :-)

Welcome to the forum by the way - we need more sane voices. The more the merrier!

AOA
Just 'horrified'...things like that happen all the time in our country also...have you ever seen anyone coming to the aid of the person victimized...same thing happening here in Lebanon...additionally Lebanon is ex French Colony and half of them are Christians and the other majority are Shia-Muslims...please don't think for a moment that this can be condoned, as a matter of fact people like that should be put to death...Islam came to remove this very 'ignorance' which the Arabs were suffering 1400 years ago and unfortunately are suffering from it to this very day...as matter of fact many of the 'ills' suffered at that time, the World is suffering from them today...theft, killing, rape, women as sex objects, deceit, false witness, racism, slavery, invasions, greed, etc. etc...don't you agree...regardless of who Robert Fisk maybe but what he is saying is there any Truth to it...because if Truth be told does it matter who & where it comes from so long as it is the 'Truth'

AsifAmeer

Siasat.pk - Blogger
And I thought Lebanon was a better than the rest. If this is better, I can only imagine what hell would be like in the middle east.