US lawmakers threaten to suspend aid to Pakistan !!!

canadian

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
US lawmakers threaten to suspend aid

By Anwar Iqbal | From the Newspaper (44 minutes ago) Today

MCCAIN_543.jpg
Senator John McCain, however, advised the US not to sever ties with Islamabad.Reuters photo

WASHINGTON: Senior US Congressional leaders urged the Obama administration on Tuesday to reconsider Americas relationship with Pakistan and also threatened to suspend $1.3 billion of annual aid to the country if its established that Pakistani intelligence officials helped lodge Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad.
But at least one lawmaker Senator John McCain advised the US not to sever ties with Islamabad. To try to assist them and try to move towards democracy in my view is a very difficult path but extremely (necessary). The other options are not really viable. For a ten-year period we cut off relations with Pakistan, things got worse. And so to do that obviously would not be the answer, said the senior Republican senator who was also his partys presidential candidate in 2008.
Others disagreed. Our government is in fiscal distress; to make contributions to a country that isnt going to be fully supportive is a problem for many. I want to think this out, talking to other members, said Senator Dianne Feinstein, who chairs the powerful Senate Intelligence Committee.
Before we send another dime, we need to know whether Pakistan truly stands with us in the fight against terrorism, said Frank Lautenberg, a senior Democratic senator from New Jersey. Until Congress and the American public are assured that the Pakistani government is not shielding terrorists, financial aid to Pakistan should be suspended.
Pakistan receives financial assistance from the United States for fighting terrorists. In his 2012 budget, President Barack Obama requested nearly $3 billion in foreign assistance for Pakistan, including $1.58 billion in funds for security-related programmes.
I dont know whether (cutting aid) would be effective or counter-productive, well have to look at that, said Congressman Steny Hoyer, the No. 2 House Democratic leader in the House.
It needs to be looked into. Senator Susan Collins, the top Republican on the Senate Homeland Security Committee, also backed calls for restraining US assistance to Pakistan.
We clearly need to keep the pressure on Pakistan, and one way to do that is to put strings attached to the tremendous amount of military aid we give the country, she said.
I do understand the Pakistan government is under tremendous pressure internally, but the fact is it is in Pakistans own interest to work with us to defeat the terrorist threat.
The White House also has added its voice to those seeking an explanation from Pakistan for Osama bin Ladens presence in Abbottabad, but has refrained from endorsing the demand for ending its alliance with Islamabad.
It is inconceivable that Bin Laden did not have a support system in (Pakistan) that allowed him to remain there for an extended period of time, said White House counter-terrorism adviser John Brennan.
We are looking right now at how he was able to hold out there for so long, he said. We are talking with the Pakistanis on a regular basis now, and were going to pursue all leads to find out exactly what type of support system and benefactors that Bin Laden might have had.
Mr Brennan said it was understandable that congressional leaders were calling into question US aid to Pakistan. But he called the US-Pakistan alliance critically important to breaking the back of Al Qaeda and eventually prevailing over Al Qaeda, as well as associated terrorist groups.
US House Intelligence Committee Chairman Michael Rogers, a Republican from Michigan, also warned against severing ties to Pakistan.
Liaison partnerships are always theyre never all-in propositions, he said. You have to take the service as you find it in the country of which you find it. And they the ISI and Pakistan, the government of Pakistan have been helpful to the United States when it comes to counter-terrorism actions and investigations.
Other US lawmakers, however, pointed out that Abbottabad was only 40 miles north of Islamabad and was home to Pakistans military academy.

T

terex

dont worry..money will continue to pour into pakistan!!

but future battle will focus on pakistan frontier provinces and tribal areas!!

canadian

Yes, they should do it... public is already suffering, but what happens with the elite of the country? If their children wouldn't get iPad 2 or iphone 4, how will they sleep?...!

What about our sold out Leaders ?
Suub Kuch Khatam Ker Key Choorain Gey !!!!

drkjke

yes like when pakistani brave army gave reymond davis to america the americans the very next day killed 50 paki army guys in north waziristan.similarly i knew that after osama was killed with pakistani traitors help the americans will punish pakistanis more
its character of america..like snake it bites the same hand which feeds it

i guess america will keep attacking inside pakistan now as our general kyani is there agent...some day perhaps they will missile our atomic programme too

Star Gazer

It could be a good thing like a blessing in disguise. I hope they do that and then we will be forcedto take care of our own problems. I know it is going to be very tough, but then who from amongst us thinks that the way we are living now is easy or respectable?

Last edited:

Imranpak

Suspending aid may not be a bad thing afterall it never reaches the comon man anyway!. We'll survive this so-called setback too and be stronger for it in the longrun as it would teach us to depend only on ourselves.

There would be no need for us to continue the Afghan war either or support it in anyway so not a bad thing in my view.

Star Gazer

I am sorry about that, I was trying another way for posting and did not realize I was logged on.

Star Gazer

They have always done that, once their purpose is served they blame you for everything and take off untill the next time they need you.
Let them go for good this time and lets not even use te back channels, Allah say mango It will take Him 1/10000000... of a second to do if he responds to our prayers.

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
It could be a good thing like a blessing in disguise. I hope they do that and then we will be forcedto take care of our own problems. I know it is going to be very tough, but then who from amongst us thinks that the way we are living now is easy or respectable?

Exactly..... no-aids will force Pakistanis to bring revolution for the better and over throw PPP. I hope it happens tomorrow

South Africa is the prime example. Under sanctions for years, they build on their own, most diversed in the region

canadian

They have always done that, once their purpose is served they blame you for everything and take off untill the next time they need you.
Let them go for good this time and lets not even use te back channels, Allah say mango It will take Him 1/10000000... of a second to do if he responds to our prayers.

Unless they get rid of this curse they will never learn to stand on their own legs. They will have to take this decision sooner than later.Believe me our people are capable of that,just give them a chance !!!

anees1980

MPA (400+ posts)
Good we don't need their aid anymore we need Aid from Allah Subhana Wa Tallah

Ya Allah is america ki aid ke sath sath in politicians ko bhi le ja. Ameen...

rakeem

Senator (1k+ posts)
How much of this aid, has gone to ordinary PAkistanis. This aid was and is for Pak military and politicians. I hope that these idiot US lawmakers actually do that which they won't, just use this as a scare tactic on these jerks governing us. Until their forces don't withdraw, they need Pakistan badly and if PAkistan continues to support them they'll keep treating us as their slaves and the scenario of getting our nukes by US-India joint operation is'nt far. Its high time Pak military limits this co-operation and leave the US to fend for themselves in Afghanistan. That is how they'll behave as Taliban will keep them busy in that country.

saeed khan

It can be a blessing of God. Because the aid US is giving is like bribe to our rulers and because of that bribe we are bound to do more.
After stopping the aid US can not demand to do more.

jimpack

Minister (2k+ posts)
Pakistan will collapse if the Aid is stopped. You can’t survive without it. Be realistic. You may keep getting Aid but now after “Laden” episode, you will have more “do more” sureties to fulfill.

canadian

Pakistan will collapse if the Aid is stopped. You can’t survive without it. Be realistic. You may keep getting Aid but now after “Laden” episode, you will have more “do more” sureties to fulfill.

Geeder Ki Zindagi Sey Izzat Ki Mout Behtar..........
Waisey this is a bluff.Trust yourself and have faith in your Country men.
Believe me they can do it !!!

Ehraz

MPA (400+ posts)
Unfortunately, we never raised our hands toward Allah for His help. For Allahs help we have to change our self to the extreme and thats what we don't want it. We want justice, but can't practice it...The leaders and there follower - they fear everyone else around, their boss USA, people, environment & everyone else except Allah!

Allah says in Quran: "And when My servants ask thee about Me, say: I am near. I answer the prayer of the supplicant when he prays to Me. So they should hearken to Me and believe in Me, that they may follow the right way."(2:187) "Is not Allah sufficient for His servant? And yet they would frighten thee with those beside Him. And he whom Allah adjudges astray for him there is no guide. And he whom Allah guides there is none to lead him astray. Is not Allah the Mighty, the Lord of retribution?"(39:37-38)