Thank you Imran Khan :International Media Praising KPK Police

HORUS

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
THE POLICEWOMEN OF PESHAWAR

When Asmat Ara joined Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s (KPK) police force, in northwestern Pakistan two decades ago, her career prospects were bleak.

“There was no concept of progress; there was no light at the end of the tunnel. All the time, I just thought that I want to leave the police,” she says as she cruises along Peshawar’s busy ring road, blue lights flashing on her police patrol car.

Back then, the force’s few female officers faced many difficulties. From getting access to training, to being provided with proper accommodation, they had to fight to be taken seriously and be treated as equals.

policecaroptimised.gif

"We decided to struggle and push forward,” says Asmat. “We slowly started working, got our training, and told them we have the capability to do the job.”

Today, she has reached the rank of deputy superintendent in Peshawar’s traffic police and says there has been a significant change in attitudes towards female officers. Part of her work now involves training other officers, both male and female, in investigative skills.

But attitudes on the street have taken longer to shift. The sight of a female officer behind the wheel of a police car still attracts curious stares.
"The environment in KPK is such that women don’t leave their homes a lot. When we go out on patrol, it’s a new concept for the public here.”
And that environment, teamed with a predominantly male police force, also makes it difficult for female victims of crime to come forward.

With support from NGOs and KPK's provincial government, there has been a drive to recruit and train more female officers over the last few years. There are now more than 600 in the province working in various roles - from detectives to machinegun-wielding police commandos.

"The environment in KPK is such that women don’t leave their homes a lot. When we go out on patrol, it’s a new concept for the public here.”

And that environment, teamed with a predominantly male police force, also makes it difficult for female victims of crime to come forward.

With support from NGOs and KPK's provincial government, there has been a drive to recruit and train more female officers over the last few years. There are now more than 600 in the province working in various roles - from detectives to machinegun-wielding police commandos.

policecommandosoptimised.gif

Perhaps the biggest difference on the ground has been an initiative to set up ‘women’s desks’ in police stations. Operated by female officers, these counters provide better access to justice for female victims of crime. According to development consultancy Coffey International, the five stations where the pilot project has operated have seen a 67 percent rise in the reporting of crime by women since 2013. The provincial government has since pledged to expand the initiative to the rest of KPK.

"There's been a change. Women have realised that female officers are present and that the system can work for them now,” says Asmat.

She is much happier today than she was when she first joined the force 20 years ago but feels there’s still a lot of progress to be made. In total, women account for less than one percent of Pakistan’s police force.
Asmat hopes the next generation will build on the progress made by this current crop of female officers.

"My little niece copies me and keeps all my news clippings. When anyone asks her what she wants to become when she’s older, she says: ‘I want to be a police officer, just like my aunt.’”

http://interactive.aljazeera.com/aje/shorts/pakistani-police-women-peshawar/

Last edited by a moderator:

Pak1stani

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
THE POLICEWOMEN OF PESHAWAR​

When Asmat Ara joined Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s (KPK) police force, in northwestern Pakistan two decades ago, her career prospects were bleak.

“There was no concept of progress; there was no light at the end of the tunnel. All the time, I just thought that I want to leave the police,” she says as she cruises along Peshawar’s busy ring road, blue lights flashing on her police patrol car.

Back then, the force’s few female officers faced many difficulties. From getting access to training, to being provided with proper accommodation, they had to fight to be taken seriously and be treated as equals.

policecaroptimised.gif

We decided to struggle and push forward,” says Asmat. “We slowly started working, got our training, and told them we have the capability to do the job.”

Today, she has reached the rank of deputy superintendent in Peshawar’s traffic police and says there has been a significant change in attitudes towards female officers. Part of her work now involves training other officers, both male and female, in investigative skills.

But attitudes on the street have taken longer to shift. The sight of a female officer behind the wheel of a police car still attracts curious stares.

The environment in KPK is such that women don’t leave their homes a lot. When we go out on patrol, it’s a new concept for the public here.”

Perhaps the biggest difference on the ground has been an initiative to set up ‘women’s desks’ in police stations. Operated by female officers, these counters provide better access to justice for female victims of crime. According to development consultancy Coffey International, the five stations where the pilot project has operated have seen a 67 percent rise in the reporting of crime by women since 2013. The provincial government has since pledged to expand the initiative to the rest of KPK.

"There's been a change. Women have realised that female officers are present and that the system can work for them now,” says Asmat.

She is much happier today than she was when she first joined the force 20 years ago but feels there’s still a lot of progress to be made. In total, women account for less than one percent of Pakistan’s police force.

Asmat hopes the next generation will build on the progress made by this current crop of female officers.

"My little niece copies me and keeps all my news clippings. When anyone asks her what she wants to become when she’s older, she says: ‘I want to be a police officer, just like my aunt.’”

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatema

Sirf KPK nahin balke Pakistan k sare barhe chote shehron k police stations mein khawateen police officers honi chahye jo female crime victims k crime reporting aur moral help kr sakein. Ziyada tar violence aur crime against females isi liye report nahin hote k wahan koi aurat police maujud nahin hoti.

Muskerahat

ناجو پٹواری اب پھر موٹے دانیال عزیز کو کہو انٹرنشنل میڈیا کے خلاف بھونکے . جلو پٹواریوں . انشاللہ جب عمران خان کی حکومت آ ے گی جب پورے پاکستان میں سسٹم بدلے گا

eye-eye-PTI

انٹرنیشنل میڈیا بھی بکاءو ثابت ہوا ہے ۔۔۔انہوں نے بھی نہیں بتایا

عمران خان نے کے پی کے میں کیا کر لیا ہے ؟؟؟

Knownajnabee

Minister (2k+ posts)
The policewomen of peshawar. Aljazeera

THE POLICEWOMEN OF PESHAWAR

Deputy Superintendent Asmat Ara is part of a growing number of female officers breaking stereotypes and catching criminals in Pakistan's northwest, where attitudes are finally changing.

When Asmat Ara joined Khyber Pakhtunkhwas (KPK) police force, in northwestern Pakistan two decades ago, her career prospects were bleak.

There was no concept of progress; there was no light at the end of the tunnel. All the time, I just thought that I want to leave the police, she says as she cruises along Peshawars busy ring road, blue lights flashing on her police patrol car.

Back then, the forces few female officers faced many difficulties. From getting access to training, to being provided with proper accommodation, they had to fight to be taken seriously and be treated as equals.

policecaroptimised.gif

"We decided to struggle and push forward, says Asmat. We slowly started working, got our training, and told them we have the capability to do the job.

Today, she has reached the rank of deputy superintendent in Peshawars traffic police and says there has been a significant change in attitudes towards female officers. Part of her work now involves training other officers, both male and female, in investigative skills.

"The environment in KPK is such that women dont leave their homes a lot. When we go out on patrol, its a new concept for the public here.

Perhaps the biggest difference on the ground has been an initiative to set up womens desks in police stations. Operated by female officers, these counters provide better access to justice for female victims of crime. According to development consultancy Coffey International, the five stations where the pilot project has operated have seen a 67 percent rise in the reporting of crime by women since 2013. The provincial government has since pledged to expand the initiative to the rest of KPK.

"There's been a change. Women have realised that female officers are present and that the system can work for them now, says Asmat.

She is much happier today than she was when she first joined the force 20 years ago but feels theres still a lot of progress to be made. In total, women account for less than one percent of Pakistans police force.

"My little niece copies me and keeps all my news clippings. When anyone asks her what she wants to become when shes older, she says: I want to be a police officer, just like my aunt.

Awan-1

Minister (2k+ posts)
Re: KPK - Peshawar Laday Police deputy superintendent

اب اس سے کام نہیں چلے گا
کوئی پروجیکٹ شرو کرو چار سال گزر گیں ہیں