US invites Pakistan to the climate summit 2021

shafali

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
us-invites-pakistan-to-climate-change-summit-1618856891-5600.jpg

The United States administration has extended an invitation to Pakistan to participate in the virtual global climate summit scheduled for April 22, 2021.

As per details, US climate envoy John Kerry on instructions of President Biden wrote a letter to Special Assistant to Prime Minister Imran Khan on Climate Change Malik Amin and extended an invitation to attend the virtual event.

Last month, US President Joe Biden had announced a virtual global climate summit but had not invited Pakistan.

Prime Minister Imran Khan also revealed disappointment with the US administration for not inviting his country to a conference on climate.

In his Twitter messages, PM Imran Khan said that his government’s environment policies are driven solely by the commitment to the future generations of a clean and green Pakistan to mitigate the impact of climate change.
PM’s statement came after the announcement of a global climate summit by US President Joe Biden, starting from April 22-23 where 40 world leaders including China, India and Bangladesh were invited.

He said, "We have gained vast experience in 7 years, beginning with Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP), and our policies are being recognised and lauded. We are ready to help any state wanting to learn from our experience."

President Joe Biden will host a closely watched global leaders climate summit on April 22, during which the US is expected to unveil an updated carbon emission reduction target and urge cooperation with other nations to combat the climate crisis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will_Bite

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
I can't understand why Pakistan is so desperate to be a part of it? Is it a matter of ego? The heck with it if they didn't invite. Pakistan has done wonders with environment protection...and should continue with it, regardless of where they are invited

PakXameen

Voter (50+ posts)
I can't understand why Pakistan is so desperate to be a part of it? Is it a matter of ego? The heck with it if they didn't invite. Pakistan has done wonders with environment protection...and should continue with it, regardless of where they are invited

It’s not ego, it is more of optics and also countering Indian lobby that is working day and night in D.C. Sometimes you just have to push little hard to make/convey a point and I think Pakistan finally got successful in that.

Dr Adam

Yeah, true.
On the contrary Khan's participation will give credibility to Biden's knee jerk initiative.
Per se, no benefit to Pakistan.

asus87

MPA (400+ posts)
It’s not ego, it is more of optics and also countering Indian lobby that is working day and night in D.C. Sometimes you just have to push little hard to make/convey a point and I think Pakistan finally got successful in that.

Yes, In events like this the agenda may appear to public about Climate change but in principle its more about who you are with i.e. who are friends and foes.

Biden Administration now wants to give one last chance to get some more from Afg. before it gets more worse for them.

Will_Bite

Actually it seems more like a baby didnt get a toy....cried for few hours straight..and the dad got him a toy just to get him to stop crying. No value addition.

And your point reinforces my point. its an ego battle between Pak and India....who gets 'mentioned' by US Pres in his speech....who gets 'invited' to a zoom call......

If I were the PM, Id say, thanks for the late invite, but we cant attend. We are busy planting 10 billion trees to suck up the CO you guys are spitting out.

Oppostion Is Mafia

Minister (2k+ posts)
Actually it seems more like a baby didnt get a toy....cried for few hours straight..and the dad got him a toy just to get him to stop crying. No value addition.

And your point reinforces my point. its an ego battle between Pak and India....who gets 'mentioned' by US Pres in his speech....who gets 'invited' to a zoom call......

If I were the PM, Id say, thanks for the late invite, but we cant attend. We are busy planting 10 billion trees to suck up the CO you guys are spitting out.
If you invite 9 babies and leave 1 baby out it would look bad that father is not playing fair. When usa father need afghiistan peace then wants Pakistan to help him. Father has double standards

Aristo

Minister (2k+ posts)
If you invite 9 babies and leave 1 baby out it would look bad that father is not playing fair. When usa father need afghiistan peace then wants Pakistan to help him. Father has double standards
your are saying USA is father?????? WTH alfaz ka chunao sahi nahi tha meray bahi

out_lander

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Yeah, true.
On the contrary Khan's participation will give credibility to Biden's knee jerk initiative.
Per se, no benefit to Pakistan.

اگرنیند پوری نہیں کرے گا اور دوائیاں وقت پر نہیں کھائے گا تو تجھے ایسے ہی مرگی کے دورے پڑا کریں گے

Oppostion Is Mafia

Minister (2k+ posts)
your are saying USA is father?????? WTH alfaz ka chunao sahi nahi tha meray bahi
That is the fact. Muslims are divided weak and corrupt so Usa is super power your money comes drom IMF, world bank, UN all American. Your Molvies are corrupt incompetence and Indian or American agents like Fazlu

PakXameen

Voter (50+ posts)

You are taking this conference literally as climate only summit and my angle is purely from foreign policy perspective. I wish we could tell US that we are busy but knowing our current situation, do you think it will be wise to snub them after they extended the invite? If you observe, currently China and US are locked in a confrontation on South China Sea , same confrontation is happening with Russia in Ukraine but both are joining this summit and not snubbing the invite. Even after US announced fresh sanctions on Russia just few days ago. The reason is simple, both countries are signaling to keep the doors open for dialogue on other critical issues and same goes for US that they want to have more engagement with leaders of both countries too.
I would say take this as FP tactics to start our conversation with US administration, remember this is new administration in US and we need to have our presence and engagement with them on all levels. It looks like our initial lobbying failed and Indian lobby was successful in getting us out of this summit but now game is on and our lobbyist did something that US had to revisit and extend this invite to us.