Mera Bhaarat Mahaan??

Baba jee

Councller (250+ posts)
NEW DELHIFrom the moment Lawmkim moved to Indias teeming capital from her sleepy village three years ago, locals made their feelings clear about her arrival in the neighborhood.

All the time people call me Chinky, so often that I cant tell you how many times, the 27-year-old says. It makes me angry but what can I do?

Like many Indians from this massive countrys northeast corridor, Lawmkim, who is from tiny Mizoram state, has a broad face and almond-shaped eyes, features that make her both easy to pick out and pick on.

In April, she and her older brother Malsawma, 36, were assaulted by a neighbour in their apartment complex, several months after they cut down a spy camera they found installed on their neighbors home.

The camera was just a few feet away from their own home and was trained on their bathroom. It was the second camera Malsawma discovered. After he cut down the first last summer, his neighbours wife promised it wouldnt happen again.

There was nothing for a few months and then last month I saw him peeping at my sister again over the balcony and I yelled, Malsawma said. He and a friend came over and beat me with cricket bats and a field hockey stick. This would not have happened with someone who had not come here from outside.

The attackers only left after Lawmkim apologized for the trouble. She then took her brother to a hospital where they were both given stitches.

India promotes itself as the worlds largest democracy, a country where race and religion arent supposed to stand in the way of anyone scrambling to create a better life. And yet as millions of rural Indians flock to large cities in search of better jobs and schooling some 350,000 residents of northeast India have moved to New Delhi since 2005 social activists say there is a sinister underbelly to the countrys India Shining story.

Activists say the assault on Malsawma and the spying on his sister is illustrative of discrimination ranging from verbal and physical assaults to rape, human trafficking and murder that some migrants face upon their arrival in New Delhi and other large cities.

Its a reflection of Indias longstanding caste system, said Madhu Chandra, who runs the North East Support Centre and Helpline.

Pointing to his own face, Chandra, who is also from northeast India, said, this face doesnt fit in the system, so we become outcasts and outsiders, viewed as strangers who are polluting the local culture.

In a recent two-year survey, Chandra concluded 86 per cent of migrants from northeast India have faced discrimination in New Delhi. The survey, which examined migrants arriving in the capital since 2005, recorded 56 cases of groping and other crimes against women, 25 cases of assault and five murders.

We have had two assaults recently against boys from the northeast in Delhi where the boys were beaten while they were walking in the street but nobody took their mobile phones, money or ATM cards, Chandra said. During the beatings, both asked why are you hitting me? No one answered them.

The problem, Chandra said, may be more widespread than his statistics suggest.
Local police routinely refuse to file reports, which keeps the number of incidents low and helps to ensure unsolved crimes stay off their books.

The New Delhi neighborhood of Munirka is known as the most dangerous for new migrants, Chandra said.

Only a few blocks away from the leafy boulevards of New Delhis diplomatic quarter, Munirka is a tangle of narrow streets where Hindu Jats have lived for centuries. Swastikas, a traditional Hindu symbol before it was co-opted by the Nazis, are featured on the steel gates of many homes.

I remember when I could swim in the Yamuna River and was afraid to walk home by myself because of all the wildlife in Delhi, says Zile Singh, 74, who was born in Munirka and now sells buffalo milk to local residents.

About five years ago, Singh said, the neighborhood's makeup began to change as north easterners rented tiny one-room flats. Now, roughly 3,000 of the 10,000 residents are migrants, several locals said.

The result has been a clash of cultures, with arch-conservative Jats living alongside northeastern families, many of whom see nothing wrong with young women living western lifestyles having boyfriends or wearing provocative tops and short shorts.

Its not good, the children see this, said Singh, rattling off a list of indiscretions he says migrants regularly commit.

One evening this week, as Poonam Singh prepared dinner for her children, she gave an account of her husband Yudhvir Singhs battle with Malsawma.
They run across our balcony and run on our roof all the time and they run around the streets with no clothes on, Poonam said.
Her husband was the one was attacked by Malsawma, she added.

If India is to truly become a global power, it will have to figure out how to convince residents from varied backgrounds to get along. The management consulting firm McKinsey estimates 70 per cent of Indias jobs will be found in cities by 2030.

Afraid to return to their own apartment, Lawmkim and her brother stay with nearby friends yet neither regrets moving to New Delhi from their village near Indias border with Burma.

I came here for a job, Lawmkim said. Thats all I want.

(http://www.thestar.com/news/world/a...ce-backlash-after-move-to-big-cities-in-india)

ASQR1

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Re: Mera Bhaarat Mahaan???????????????

Mahan woh hotey hien jo Insaniat say rehay or chaley, Bharat nay Pakistan ko ek dushman samajh kar us nay muslamano ko buhat zaleel karney ki koshash ki hay, Laikun Allah S.W.T. ko sharart or tarkibein bananey waley log napasand hien, is liey zara sambhal kar Bharat chaley, aqal say chaley or insaniat say chaley.

Unicorn

Banned

Mahan woh hotey hien jo Insaniat say rehay or chaley, Bharat nay Pakistan ko ek dushman samajh kar us nay muslamano ko buhat zaleel karney ki koshash ki hay, Laikun Allah S.W.T. ko sharart or tarkibein bananey waley log napasand hien, is liey zara sambhal kar Bharat chaley, aqal say chaley or insaniat say chaley.

Some of you guys have a habit of bringing religion into everything including political and territorial disputes. If there was so much hate towards Muslims than tell me one reason why India did not make every Muslim leave from India. India even welcomed Muslims arriving from Pakistan to India Mohammad Rafi, Dalip Kumar and Bade Gulaam Ali Khan are the example of these Muslims who became prominent in India.

Pakistan and India see each other as enemies, wrongly or rightly is not the issue,
but thats a fact and if its your belief that India's position is unjust so be it. It has nothing to do with Islam or Muslims and I am not saying that there is no discrimination in India.

Unicorn

Banned

Democracy has nothing to do with how people behave. If an individual is ignorant he causes harm. No one has ever advocated that we are free from ignorance.

only_truths

Minister (2k+ posts)

Quote:
If India is to truly become a global power, it will have to figure out how to convince residents varied backgrounds to get along. The management consulting firm McKinsey estimates 70 per cent of Indias jobs will be found in cities by 2030.

I came here for a job, Lawmkim said. Thats all I want.

Un quote:

This has nothing to do with slogans like Mera bharat Mahaan or Global player, democracy or caste system etc., Even in matured Global player countries (including the home of this newspaper) such discrimination exist for migrants. It is always the next generation reaps the benefit of migration as acceptance and understanding of other person takes time. I am sure South Asians must have felt this when they migrated to western countries or even to middle eastern countries. As for as India is concerned, migration for jobs are happening fast due to extensive economic activity, leading to sons of the soil feelings. It will take time to overcome this and I am sure there is a lot of remedial measures, social counselling and mentoring is taking place. I am sure this is true even when a Delhite have to move to Northeastern state or even a punjabi moves to baluchistan?

It looks like anything found against India will be posted without analyzing the topic or the problem.

Last edited:

ASQR1

Some of you guys have a habit of bringing religion into everything including political and territorial disputes. If there was so much hate towards Muslims than tell me one reason why India did not make every Muslim leave from India. India even welcomed Muslims arriving from Pakistan to India Mohammad Rafi, Dalip Kumar and Bade Gulaam Ali Khan are the example of these Muslims who became prominent in India.

Pakistan and India see each other as enemies, wrongly or rightly is not the issue,
but thats a fact and if its your belief that India's position is unjust so be it. It has nothing to do with Islam or Muslims and I am not saying that there is no discrimination in India.

Unicorn, tum to har baat ko twist kartey ho or us ka batangar bana detey ho. Hundustani style Pakistan bananey waley ney is leiy bania kweh indu majority batatri thi keh yahan koi Muslaimanio ki hifazat nahi hogi, is liey Qiad-e-azam ney Pakistan Bania

Bat Mahan ki ho raho thi or mein nay maahan key mieney bateiy or tum nay baat Musulsmano ko Hindustan say nikalney ki kar de.
waisy to tum logon nay pori koshish Musalmano ko nikalney ki ki, laikan wo barey bahadur they keh tumhari her ziadadti seh giay or wahan rehtey rahey or rehtey rahein gay.

Man o man u r a peace of work like HIndustan, that is the reason Qaid Azam decided to Make Pakistan. U talk with a forked toungue.

Last edited:

Imranpak

It's got nothing to do with religion or anything as such! India was never one country to begin with so such problems are inevitable. The British and the Moghuls merged many islands that "Bharat" inherited after they left the poverty stricken nation place.

ASQR1

Quote:
If India is to truly become a global power, it will have to figure out how to convince residents varied backgrounds to get along. The management consulting firm McKinsey estimates 70 per cent of India’s jobs will be found in cities by 2030.

“I came here for a job,” Lawmkim said. “That’s all I want.”

Un quote:

This has nothing to do with slogans like Mera bharat Mahaan or Global player, democracy or caste system etc., Even in matured Global player countries (including the home of this newspaper) such discrimination exist for migrants. It is always the next generation reaps the benefit of migration as acceptance and understanding of other person takes time. I am sure South Asians must have felt this when they migrated to western countries or even to middle eastern countries. As for as India is concerned, migration for jobs are happening fast due to extensive economic activity, leading to sons of the soil feelings. It will take time to overcome this and I am sure there is a lot of remedial measures, social counselling and mentoring is taking place. I am sure this is true even when a Delhite have to move to Northeastern state or even a punjabi moves to baluchistan?

It looks like anything found against India will be posted without analyzing the topic or the problem.

You need to know the differance, in India it is not only accepted but promoted, In western countries it is opposite, they do not condone niether they suport Racism, in India they do.

Unicorn

Banned

You need to know the differance, in India it is not only accepted but promoted, In western countries it is opposite, they do not condone niether they suport Racism, in India they do.

Maybe you can tell us how state of India promotes discrimination and racism. There are raciest orgination there who promote it like may other country. Pakistan is the only know country where State teaches hate and discrimination give this video a good listen, this is only a tip of the iceberg my friend.

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

NEW DELHIFrom the moment Lawmkim moved to Indias teeming capital from her sleepy village three years ago, locals made their feelings clear about her arrival in the neighborhood.

All the time people call me Chinky, so often that I cant tell you how many times, the 27-year-old says. It makes me angry but what can I do?

Like many Indians from this massive countrys northeast corridor, Lawmkim, who is from tiny Mizoram state, has a broad face and almond-shaped eyes, features that make her both easy to pick out and pick on.

In April, she and her older brother Malsawma, 36, were assaulted by a neighbour in their apartment complex, several months after they cut down a spy camera they found installed on their neighbors home.

The camera was just a few feet away from their own home and was trained on their bathroom. It was the second camera Malsawma discovered. After he cut down the first last summer, his neighbours wife promised it wouldnt happen again.

(clap)(clap) Keep up the good work India and keep on shining. I salute your democracy

ASQR1

It came from a Mythical King named "Bharta"

U.R talking about a king not known to the history, How prejudicial it is for Indian that you over look Muslim kings rule all the time and not only you ignore their contribution. You even make bogus claims about Taj mahal.

You keep talking of Mythical kings, and abandon the factual and real kings who gave you all those fantastic Arts and architecture, when Europe was in dark ages Sher Shah suri gave yuo a grand trunk road envy of all kings of all times and Shahjahan gave Taj Mahal which no body can or will envision, so stop mentioning Imaginery kings and start mentioning real and kings and their fantastic work.

Last edited: