ISI Chief Shuja Pasha going to Washington

Lodhi

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Military sources say Gen Pasha will stay in Washington for a day. Although the exact nature of the visit and its agenda are not known, it is being said here that he is travelling to the US for intelligence coordination. — File Photo

ISLAMABAD: The chief of ISI, Lt-Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha, is leaving for Washington on Wednesday for talks with US intelligence and military officials on continuing cooperation in the fight against terrorism.
The unannounced visit is the most significant indication yet that both countries are ready to back down from brinkmanship that has become a feature of their relationship since the covert US attack which killed Osama bin Laden.
Gen Pasha’s visit, his first to the US after the May 2 Abbottabad raid that put the relationship into free fall, follows US Centcom Commander Gen James Mattis’s meetings with army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani and Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Chairman Gen Khalid Shameem Wynne in Rawalpindi on Tuesday.
The exchanges are taking place against the backdrop of a US move to withhold $800 million military aid for Pakistan.
Military sources say Gen Pasha will stay in Washington for a day. Although the exact nature of the visit and its agenda are not known, it is being said here that he is travelling to the US for intelligence coordination.
Gen Pasha’s trip also signifies that despite recent problems in ties the two sides remain united in the fight against terrorists.
“Like in the past, operations against Al Qaeda and its affiliates would continue,” an official said, adding that cooperation with the CIA against terrorists would remain unaffected because Pakistani leaders were convinced that terror groups were a common threat for the country and rest of the world.
The military also appears to be in a conciliatory mode.

While it avoided a sharp reaction to the US decision to suspend aid, a conference of corps commanders held on Tuesday, quite in contrast to the last meeting after which a hard-hitting statement had been issued, this time only reiterated the army’s commitment to fighting terrorism using its own resources.
“The forum reiterated the resolve to fight the menace of terrorism in our own national interest using our own resources,” a press release issued after the meeting noted without saying anything about the problems in the ties with the US, including the maligning of the army and ISI; and more recently the aid suspension.
But, in their conversations with Gen Mattis, who was on his fifth visit to Pakistan since becoming Centcom Commander last year, both Gen Kayani and Gen Wynne regretted that actions by the US and public pronouncements by American officials were constricting the already little space for cooperation.
A military source said that in his meetings Gen Mattis discussed the aftermath of the aid suspension, the Afghanistan situation and other matters related to regional security. That both Pakistan and the US were looking for ways to sustain their alliance against terrorism, despite the odds, was clear from a statement made by Ambassador Cameron Munter at the Pakistan National Arts Council.
“We sometimes see the world in different ways… and as I believe is true for our bilateral relationship, that even while we at times pass through rough patches, we can find a way to live together, to support each other and to prosper,” he said.

http://newsmixture.com/2011/07/13/isi-chief-shuja-pasha-going-to-washington.html

7-13-2011_75922_1.gif

Last edited:

Star Gazer

The power of public opinion is becoming evident slowly but surely and we need to keep it coming ,not only for the outsiders but more so for our beloved good-for-nothing-politicians.

Nathookhan

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
This is "No" and "Yes"...No we don't want US aid. We will try to be self reliant and independent. Then why the hell you are going to USA? To say "Yes" politely or request them to reconsider their stance?

Oye Hukamrano,document your economy and implement taxation. Hang those who evade tax and do corruption i.e yourself as well and you will generate billions of Rupees.

Also,enhance friendship with China-economic as well as strategic.Open the trade through KKH.Your economy will be booming in few years.

See if u can make peace with India and Afghanistan.That wll be a plus.Less military expenditure.

Deal with mad mullas with iron hand as you are doing now for past few weeks.

Isn't it so easy to stand on one's feet??????????????????????????????????????????

Why on earth you offer your arm to be twisted again and again and again? That doesn't mean drifting away from US. Just maintain essential relations and "Mind your own business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

change

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
I wonder how shameless this Pasha is and how quickly he forgotton previously Leon Paneta had kicked his a_s_s badly now he'z going again for the same treatment. These shemale generals have put pakistani nation in eternal slavery to america and made Pakistan an American Colony. Because of these american dollar hungry top military leadership americans are shooting people in FATA like ducks. 31 killed today in Drone attacks, why Kiyani and Co are silent? where is pak-fauj that has taken oath to defend us? Americans are killing our innocent brothers and sisters and our generals still feel proud to be american alley - shame on them.

Unicorn

Banned
That did not take too long now Mr. Pasha with begging bowl. Eventually army will come around and follow the list given to them by uncle Sam.

Bombaybuz

Minister (2k+ posts)
Its a good news in my view... we are open to talk.... but core-command metting's out come just a day before reflects our stance also, and that should be the policy.... being PRO PAKISTANI doesn't mean at all that we are ANTI AMERICAN ... one more thing that duration (one day visit) is also very meaningful.

Last edited:

Scorpion

Banned
What is the need for going to Washington . . . . Or the intention are that Bhagtay choor ki langote his sahi . . . . A few more dollars . . . .

Dear fellows, in my opinion Shuja Pasha is going to America for a "Special Mission" and the mission is that Pakistan will tell America that it is ready to take action in North Waziristan but on the condition that America should pressurize Afghan government to allow Pakistan to erect a barbed fence on Afghan border. If Pakistan succeed in convincing US for the building of fence on Afghan border, I assure you it will be a historic victory for us.

Just imagine, if we succeed in building a fence on Pak-Afghan border, it will be very easy for us not only to stop the movement of terrorists into Pakistan but also we will be able to control the "Arms Trafficking".

My best wishes are with Pasha.

Pakistan Zindabaad

Scorpion

Banned
Dear fellows, in my opinion Shuja Pasha is going to America for a "Special Mission" and the mission is that Pakistan will tell America that it is ready to take action in North Waziristan but on the condition that America should pressurize Afghan government to allow Pakistan to erect a barbed fence on Afghan border. If Pakistan succeed in convincing US for the building of fence on Afghan border, I assure you it will be a historic victory for us.

Just imagine, if we succeed in building a fence on Pak-Afghan border, it will be very easy for us not only to stop the movement of terrorists into Pakistan but also we will be able to control the "Arms Trafficking".

Pakistan Zindabaad

Are you serious or it is some joke

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

Pakistan Zindabaad

This proposal was raised recently i.e. to barb wire the entire border. I just hope they run electric current in the unmanned segment of the wire.

canadian

Pakistan Zindabaad

Buddy the matter is much more complex and intricate and building a fence will not solve any problem.We should build relationship with our Afghan brothers and help them in rebuilding that Country which is in tatters after years of ravaging by foreign invaders.

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Buddy the matter is much more complex and intricate and building a fence will not solve any problem.We should build relationship with our Afghan brothers and help them in rebuilding that Country which is in tatters after years of ravaging by foreign invaders.

ok I have even better solution. Dig a long 50ft deep canal throughout the entire border with Afghanistan with breaks for border crossing, same ON/NY, then fill with water. The canal will provide much needed water downstream and protect from illegal cross overs also

What do you all say??