Singapore Airlines sacks staff, closes all operations in Pak

pak hi pak

Citizen
Lahore, March 20:
Singapore Airlines (SIA) has closed its operations in Pakistan due to the deteriorating security condition in the country.

According to a private television channel, the airlines, which had four flights a week from Pakistan to Singapore, has closed its offices and sacked its entire staff, The Daily Times reports.

Several multi-national companies (MNCs) have stopped their operations in Pakistan, which has seen a considerable increase in violence and bloodshed over the past two years.

The troubled nation has seen an unprecedented rise in the number of suicide attacks carried out across the country and loss of life during the first 70 days of 2010 compared to the same period last year.

According to the available facts and figures, at least 15 incidents of suicide bombings have taken place so far in the first 70 days of this year (between January 1 and March 12), while 11 assaults were carried out in first 70 days of 2009.
The suicide bombings in 2010 have left 321 people dead and injured over 500, with the daily average killing rate of four and a half people and the weekly killing rate of 10 people.

During the same period in 2009, 105 people were killed. The year had proved to be the bloodiest as at least 1,217 people were killed and 2,305 injured in 80 attacks.

According to the data compiled by the Punjab Home Department, 145 people were killed in five incidents of suicide bombings in January this year; another 101 people lost their lives in seven such attacks in February while 75 people have so far been killed in the first 12 days of March.

Authorities investigating the bombings are of the view that most of the attacks have been carried out by the Punjabi Taliban belonging to four Jihadi groups working in tandem with the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan

sagaciouscorpion

MPA (400+ posts)
Re: Singapore Airlines sacks staff, closes all operations in

It s a real shame .....

When I go to Jinnah International my heart really cries...

A few years back... all international airlines used to come to karachi...

But during the last few years...one after the other airline packed their bags...

and now..... the Airport seems deserted and haunted with only a few airlines operating through....

I hope and pray that this gets well.... soon....

Star Gazer

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)

The grand design against Pakistan has been unfolded a little more. Neverthless Allah is our savior and hope and protector. Lets just do what needs to be done.

angryoldman

Minister (2k+ posts)

sagaciouscorpion said:
It s a real shame .....

When I go to Jinnah International my heart really cries...

A few years back... all international airlines used to come to karachi...

But during the last few years...one after the other airline packed their bags...

and now..... the Airport seems deserted and haunted with only a few airlines operating through....

I hope and pray that this gets well.... soon....

oyeee don't worry paa ji.we 'll face it all alone.we start PIA to singapore.
Britian did same thing who got benefit ofcourse PIA.don't rely on others
its training time for us to rule the world.
"maar khaaye gy to samaj ay gi samaj ay gi to palt ker maary gy"

digitalzygot1

Minister (2k+ posts)

Send them emails requesting resumption of flights and how it's affecting thousands of travellers. Worth a try

sagaciouscorpion

MPA (400+ posts)

oyeee don't worry paa ji.we 'll face it all alone.we start PIA to singapore.
Britian did same thing who got benefit ofcourse PIA.don't rely on others
its training time for us to rule the world.
"maar khaaye gy to samaj ay gi samaj ay gi to palt ker maary gy"

It is even more worrying that PIA itself is being run by Idiots who dont know how to make profit..... If you start looking for corruption in PIA you can write an encyclopedia... PIA is itself shutting its operation across the world.... and guess who gets the benefit... Ittehad and Emirates....

If you look into the history, we have sustained a huge loss due to the development of Dubai as an alternate to Karachi airport... If our authorities would have wanted... the would have developed Karachi at the same pace... as a result we wouldnt have lost the huge amount of money ... and everybody would have benefited... not only the people of Karachi... but unfortunately ... they were sleeping..... and they are still sleeping...

arkadin

Salam to all,

I am here on Siasat.pk for quite sometime, mostly reading discussions and watching some Pakistani talk shows, but never bothered to post anything. This twisted / manipulated news is the main reason to write in here. And I am from Singapore.

First I am not sure why this news appeared in media now while SIA suspended its operations on 17th Feb and the decision was made and published in December 2009. This is a purely business strategy decision of SIA to suspend (NOT CLOSE for ever as this piece of news is trying to show) flights to Pakistan to cope with on-going crunch and high operating costs travelling industry is facing. The decision of suspending flights to Pakistan is entirely due to low passenger demand, and SIA has never mentioned current security situation in Pakistan the reason for suspending her operations. It is NOT only Pakistan where SIA has suspended flights, some other cities are on the list too where SIA has either suspended operations or has reduced number of flights. Those include Amritsar in India, Nanjing in China, Ho Chi Minh City and few others. I do not remember in last 10 years if SIA has ever operated 4 weekly flights to Pakistan. There used be weekly 3 flights prior to 2005 but in recent years SIA has operated only two flights.

I could not find the official SIA press release on this decision, as this has be removed from their website now because decision was made and published long back. Below link might give some insight.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... njing.html

Google 'SIA +Pakistan' and you will know the outlet of this news of 'sacking staff and closing operation'.

Wassalam,

digitalzygot1

Minister (2k+ posts)

I agree to the last post. I emailed them and they said they will review the decision in near future and it was purely a business decision, that's why I mentioned please email them and raise your concerns.

sagaciouscorpion

MPA (400+ posts)

Thanks guys... both of you....

Though it adds some content that they may start the flights again... but Karachi Airport is still deserted.....