Should dual national Pakistanis have no right to hold a govt. office in Pakistan?

Should dual national Pakistanis have no right to hold a govt. office in Pakistan?

• Total voters

Aijazahmed

Minister (2k+ posts)
A bill has been tabled in Pakistan NA that will not allow all dual nationality holder expatriates to take part in pak politics or even they will not be able to hold any govt. office in any govt. deptt.
How about if some technocrate like Dr. A.Q. Khan wants to come back Pakistan to serve the nation but doesn't want to withdraw his foreign nationality? will it not be a loss of Pakistan? Will not Pakistan miss the expertise and services of an educated experienced professional?

Why should punish the most patriotic Pakistanis because of some corrupt politicians?
Is this fair?

Yes?
No?
Other?

Please comment and raise your voice if you are with me.
Thanks

k.a.kiani

Minister (2k+ posts)
of cours not
brother this is about holding the public office. it is not about putting restritions on keeping dual nationaliy. if this bill will be passed and after that if Dr. A.Q. Khan will be asked to leave his dual nationality then he should not hesitate to surrender his other nationality but any patriotic pakistani will not hesitate. I think it is out of question. this bill should be passed although the people who brought this bill in forward, I am suspicion about their intentions but still it is good thing.

By the way there are countries in the world where you can't keep dual nationality and if you want to keep both nationalities then you will have surrender your own country's nationality like China. can you give me example of any other country where person of dual nationality can hold public office.

canadian

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
A bill has been tabled in Pakistan NA that will not allow all dual nationality holder expatriates to take part in pak politics or even they will not be able to hold any govt. office in any govt. deptt.
How about if some technocrate like Dr. A.Q. Khan wants to come back Pakistan to serve the nation but doesn't want to withdraw his foreign nationality? will it not be a loss of Pakistan? Will not Pakistan miss the expertise and services of an educated experienced professional?

Why should punish the most patriotic Pakistanis because of some corrupt politicians?
Is this fair?

Yes?
No?
Other?

Thanks

If this is so then almost all prominent Pakistani politicians and lot of senior Govt officials hold dual nationalities although this is against existing service rules.

atensari

(50k+ posts) بابائے فورم
1045.gif

Aijazahmed

Minister (2k+ posts)
of cours not
brother this is about holding the public office. it is not about putting restritions on keeping dual nationaliy. if this bill will be passed and after that if Dr. A.Q. Khan will be asked to leave his dual nationality then he should not hesitate to surrender his other nationality but any patriotic pakistani will not hesitate. I think it is out of question. this bill should be passed although the people who brought this bill in forward, I am suspicion about their intentions but still it is good thing.

By the way there are countries in the world where you can't keep dual nationality and if you want to keep both nationalities then you will have surrender your own country's nationality like China. can you give me example of any other country where person of dual nationality can hold public office.

Yes. I think, in Canada I can run any office while holding dual nationality. Correct me if I am wrong. I am working in Canada. One of my Pakistani friend working as Manager Audit in another city of Canada. They never asked us these questions.
Even few years back, one Pakistani was elected from Mississauga, Ontario riding. I am not sure but I think he was also dual.

Can't Pakistan do any other arrangement rather to chop my right all of a sudden? There must be some more ways to stop misuse of this privilege of mine.

Last edited:

alibaba222

Minister (2k+ posts)
ye bill tu pas hota muskil dekhyi deyta he asal masla dual ka nahee he ,lot mar is say khatm nahee ho gee, jo kam kerny key he wo seyasat dan kerty nahee

arslan4u

Minister (2k+ posts)

Is this fair?

Yes?
No?
Other?

Thanks
Obviously since your party head is a dual national you have trouble swallowing this bill.
If AQ Khan or anyone else is sincere to Pakistan then they should have no problem in surrendering their second nationality to serve the country. Its not a punishment, its a test of their patriotism.
This way we will be free of 'parachute' politicians like Shaukat Aziz and all the run-offs who enjoy government and after that they run away leaving the country in ruins to enjoy their life abroad.

abbasiali

Minister (2k+ posts)
Yes. I think, in Canada I can run any office while holding dual nationality. Correct me if I am wrong. I am working in a city govt. in Canada. One of my Pakistani friend working as Manager Audit in another city of Canada. They never asked us these questions.
Even few years back, one Pakistani was elected from Mississauga, Ontario riding. I am not sure but I think he was also dual.

Can't Pakistan do any other arrangement rather to chop my right all of a sudden? There must be some more ways to stop misuse of this privilege of mine.

Bro, it is useless to debate on this subject, people are who are in politics have no brain, they damn cares about sky high "MEHNGAI" people are dying of hunger, they are doing their B-S. So don't even think about this, after all when they need money, they come out to overseas only, at that time they only remember overseas Pakistanis, their maximum survival is on overseas Pakistanis remittances, but politics is politics and it will remain as is.

Aijazahmed

Minister (2k+ posts)
Bro, it is useless to debate on this subject, people are who are in politics have no brain, they damn cares about sky high "MEHNGAI" people are dying of hunger, they are doing their B-S. So don't even think about this, after all when they need money, they come out to overseas only, at that time they only remember overseas Pakistanis, their maximum survival is on overseas Pakistanis remittances, but politics is politics and it will remain as is.
So sad, look at the responses of the people here. I just opened a thread with my all well wishes to Pakistan, and people are tagging it with Altaf Bhai and MQM. I never had anything in my mind about AH dual nationality, as far as I know, he never run or will never want to run any govt. office. So, think on that is out of the question.
I am just saying that an skilled technocrat experienced from abroad is way better than a third class degree holder PM Gilani or not graduate president Zardari.
Because of these few stupids, why all we, me and you suffer.
I strongly believe that Shaukat Aziz was thousands times better than this present lot of fake degree holders.
Or even, if he was not good, then because of that one individual, why we should close the doors for all the top brains of Pakistan if some of them ever want to come back? Are they saying TATA forever?

Surrendering other nationality will be a big risk for every one until and unless they get the guarantee from Pakistan for their safety and security. How many can take that risk? May be 10 pagal max.
HUM HI BEWAQOOF HEIN KEH JO AAJ BHI 20 SAAL GUZAR JANE KE BAAD SUBAH SUB SE PEHLE INTERNET PER JANG YA NAWA-E-WAQT PARHTE HEIN.
GOD BLESS PAKISTAN.

usmanjee786

MPA (400+ posts)
i think yes ab kisi kay pas duel nationalty hai to koe sazaa hai kiyaa ...........kabi socha hai overseas pakiz kittnaa revnue gen kertey hain........pakistan kay lie?

Wadaich

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Ban on dual nationality for public office holders shall be greatest service to Pakistan and bring a sea change (positive) in the politics. Pakistan should get rid of the majority of the traitors holding public office.

samar

Minister (2k+ posts)

Is this fair?

Yes?
No?
Other?

Thanks

What about those who have bank balances in foreign countries.............they should not have the right to govern us.

brother yahan to koiee bolta hi nhi MQM valoo ko imran or nawz sharif ya ANP buree lagti he baki apney jo krain vo theek yahi haal PPPP valo ka he gunja party ko b **** sirf mukhalifo me nazar ata he.

bottom line ye he k ye log ALLAH se azab k talab gaaar hain ab daikho kab inki khwaish poori hotee he..

jo aik rupia taz nhi deta vo tax collect krta he...........lakin koiee poochney vala nhi

Muhammad Tauseef A. Bajwa

Senator (1k+ posts)
New bill seeks to disqualify MPs with dual nationalities

New bill seeks to disqualify MPs with dual nationalities
By Zia Khan
Published: April 20, 2011

Passport-150465-151365-152847-640x480.jpg

Mover wants similar punitive action for parliamentarians and bureaucrats maintaining foreign bank accounts. PHOTO: FILE

ISLAMABAD:
An opposition MP on Tuesday introduced a private constitutional amendment bill in the National Assembly, seeking the disqualification of parliamentarians and bureaucrats holding dual nationalities or holding assets or bank accounts outside Pakistan.

The legislation by Raza Hayat Hiraj of Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q) called for the insertion of another article (63B) in the countrys constitution, to be applicable to the members of the national parliament, provincial assemblies and civil and military officials.

Article 62 and 63 elaborate conditions under which a lawmaker can be removed.

Though the government did not block the introduction of the bill and let it go to the house committee for further consideration, its future remains uncertain because many of the countrys top politicians have businesses abroad.

President Asif Ali Zardari and former premier Nawaz Sharif reportedly either have assets or bank accounts in various countries.

In the past as well, Pakistan witnessed imported individuals such as Moeen Qureshi and Shaukat Aziz leading the government and then leaving the country once their terms were over. Hiraj said that under the proposed amendment, no person with dual nationalities, foreign accounts and property abroad would be eligible for holding a public office or become a member of the parliament or provincial assemblies.

He said the disqualification would be applicable if an individual maintains an account in his own or his spouses name or holds a dual nationality or has a permanent resident status of any other country.

The legislation also sought disqualifications for those holding an office of profit or interest in any company established in a foreign country.

Having a business outside Pakistan would also disqualify an individual from holding a public office, according to the draft bill.

Religious Affairs Minister Khursheed Shah did not oppose the introduction of the bill though he said the legislation carried many technical flaws.

Shah assured the house that the service structure of engineers affiliated with the Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC) would be reviewed after taking up the matter with the PM.

Published in The Express Tribune, April 20th, 2011.

Muhammad Tauseef A. Bajwa

Senator (1k+ posts)

Is this fair?

Yes?
No?
Other?

Thanks[/QUOTE

Being impartial it must be endorsed that persons/politicians having dual nationality should not be allowed to hold a govt. office in Pakistan? When, overseas, expatriates are denied to cast their votes then, how can they be allowed to hold any technocrat post even though they want (like Dr. A.Q. Khan) to come back (Pakistan) to serve the nation when they give preference to another foreign nationality? It will never be a loss of Pakistan as we had no 'dearth' of dedicated, efficient, deligent men in Pakistan who are not less in expertise & services than an other educated experienced professional who gives 1st preference to another nation. Pakistan is and should remain 'Supreme'. Didn't we experienced, Moen Qureshi, Shaukat Aziz & alikes?

United4Pak

Minister (2k+ posts)
I believe there are two issues here which needs to be separated. Firstly, patriot Pakistanis working abroad and politicians making policies for Pakstan while having interests ( businesses, nationality etc.). A Pakistani worker with dual nationality may not be ble to work for sensitive government jobs but could make contribution to work for a charity, bank, construction company etc. On the other hand a politician who is directly involve in making policy can only make an independent policy if his interests are not abroad. It's like asking a wadera or landlord to pass a bill against land reform or an industrialist to vote in favour of tax rises.

With this in mind I will support the bill as if I was such a good Pakistani then I should nit be allowed to be in two boats.

crankthskunk

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
This question the way it put is little bit vague. I voted yes, thinking I am voting for yes dual nationals should not be allowed to hold public office in Pakistan.

I could have dual nationality, but I did not have, even though it cost me time, money and efforts to obtain visa every time I travel to Pakistan. Before, they use to give 5 years visa, but even that is also stop now.

Those who are holding dual nationalities and working abroad, should not worry, they can continue to do so. But if they decide to run for elections or hold any position of power, they should give up their foreign nationalities.

This question is now even raised in the USA. Plenty of politicians and people working with in the establishment in the USA hold dual nationalities, namely Israel's. Question of their impartiality and loyalties to the USA is raised at many forums.

For example, RM in his recent interview denies he is director of Shafaf Ltd, that he is holding British nationality, when the documents shows otherwise.

Once the PPP rule is over, this corrupt thief will fly away to London, without much consequences to himself. We know, because many before did so, current examples of Moeen Qureshi and Shaukat Aziz are in front of us.

How long Pakistan and Pakistanis would allow themselves to be robbed by these foreign thieves? Pakistan have to decide.

I am clear, no dual nationalities for Politicians and important post holders. No other country will make a dual national head of Government like Pakistan did.

United4Pak

Minister (2k+ posts)
I have a feeling that I voted No thinking that I don't want these dual nationals be allowed to participate in pakistan politics but reading the question again I feel stupid. Am I the only one here who did that?