International statement condemning extremism

Sheikh Professor Joel Hayward (Yusuf Muhammad) has created an excellent new forum for mainstream Muslims to condemn murderous violence by ISIS and other extremists. I will certainly sign and circulate it around all my friends:

قَالَ أَبُو سَعِيدٍ الخدري سَمِعْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَقُولُ : "‏ مَنْ رَأَى مِنْكُمْ مُنْكَرًا فَلْيُغَيِّرْهُ بِيَدِهِ فَإِنْ لَمْ يَسْتَطِعْ فَبِلِسَانِهِ فَإِنْ لَمْ يَسْتَطِعْ فَبِقَلْبِهِ وَذَلِكَ أَضْعَفُ الإِيمَانِ"‏ ‏

The Prophet Muhammad ( صلى الله عليه و سلم
) said:

Whoever among you sees something abominable should rectify it with his hand; and if he has not strength enough to do it, then he should speak against it; and if he has not strength enough to do it, then he should (abhor it) in his heart, and that is the least of Faith."

Sahih Muslim, Kitab al Iman, 49.

Are you Muslim and feeling frustrated that, although you hate the violence that extremists are doing in the name of Allah the Almighty, you dont really have any public forum for expressing your frustration?

Would you like to put on record your disgust at the aggressive violence, persecution, murder and terrorism committed by misguided Muslims in Syria, Iraq, Nigeria, Somalia and elsewhere, including in western nations?
This small website was created with the sole intention of proving a non-sectarian forum for registering your hatred of the violent extremists and their appalling conduct. Here you can do what the Prophet (
صلى الله عليه و سلم
) urges: you can "speak" and "abhor" the abominable!

To tell the extremists that they do not act in your name, please add your name and city to this online statement of condemnation.

The Statement:

1. I passionately embrace and practice the faith of Islam because of its powerful spiritual truths, its emphasis on peace and justice, its racial and ethnic inclusiveness and its charitable spirit towards the poor and needy.

2. Islam is a temperate, empowering and ennobling force which underpins the rights and dignity of all people and treats human life as a sacred gift from Allah the Almighty.

3. I stand fiercely opposed to all religious extremism. As a Muslim, I especially oppose the extremism which is perpetrated by a wicked and misguided minority of Muslims in the name of Islam.

4. I unequivocally condemn all aggressive violence, persecution, murder and terrorism committed by Muslim individuals and groups and I consider the radicalized and violent expressions of Islam to be among the worlds worst current political scourges.

5. I firmly oppose and denounce the IS (the so-called Islamic State, or Daish), al-Qaeda, Boko Haram, al-Shabaab, the Taliban, and groups with similar agendas and practices, and I utterly reject the notion that their struggles or goals legitimately constitute jihad.

6. I directly address YOU the leaders and members of these and similar groups and I tell you: "You do not represent me. You do not represent the true nature and teachings of Islam. I reject your harsh, exclusive and repressive interpretation of Islam and the oppression, violence and murder that flows from it. I accuse you of criminality. I stand against you in my heart and in my unqualified condemnation of your crimes."

http://www.not-in-my-name.com/

Last edited by a moderator: