Good news.. Port Grand Food Street [Karachi] finally opening

rakeem

Senator (1k+ posts)
A project started under Musharraf rule was to be completed sometime back but due to delay caused by PPP govt. it was almost shelved alongwith other projects[IT Towers, Karachi] due to PPP's nefarious intent. But finally it got completed after 4 years, is said to bring some good news[which is important at this point of time] for people of Karachi Port Grand Food Street will finally open next month.It was made possible by MQM Minister of Ports and Shipping Babar Ghauri, who also tried previously to open a cruise ship travel between Karachi and Dubai. It has been constructed close to Karachi port on the newly renovated historic Netty Jetty bridge:
pf_pt_grand_com_s2.jpg

pf_pt_grand_com.jpg

8076d1241327052-download_007.jpg

8084d1241327143-download_017.jpg

8075d1241327052t-download_006.jpg

Px11-055.jpg

Karachi%20-%20Port%20Grand%20-%20Render%20-%2001.jpg

8071d1241327052-download_002.jpg

Port Grand opening next month: visitors to pay Rs 200 each for entry to food resort

ISMAIL DILAWAR
KARACHI (July 11 2010): The long-awaited opening of the Asia's biggest food and entertainment resort, Port Grand would be carried out in the mid of next month. "In the first phase the soft opening would be undertaken in mid August," Farooq Hassan, Vice President of Port Grand, told Business Recorder in an interview conducted on Saturday at the scenic site.

Grand Leisure Corporation (GLC) is constructing the Karachi Port Trust's mega project at the 13-acre scenic coastal stretch of Karachi Port ranging from Native Jetty Bridge to M.A Jinnah Bridge roundabout at a cost of over Rs 1 billion on Built-Operate-Transfer basis for 21 years.

Management of the well-known Food Street expects a huge crowd of 10,000 local and foreign visitors in a single day at the under-construction resort, which is first of its kind in the country. "Within a few months of the soft opening we would have influx of people but for a full-fledged operation we hope that around 10,000 people to visit the resort in a day," the vice president said. This figure, Hassan said, was for a normal day while for weekends his management was expecting the number of visitors to range between 15,000 to 17,000.

He said that the management had decided to set entry fee for the Port Grand at Rs 200 per head, out of which the visitor would be allowed to do a hundred rupees' shopping. That means the effective rate of entry in Port Grand is to be Rs 100. "This is to ensure that sober and decent people enter the resort because this is a place where we would like to welcome all families and professionals," the soft-spoken deputy chief added. About security, he said there would be security cameras installed throughout the resort to snap the wrongdoers, if any. "We would keep the photos in record and would not allow entry to a miscreant next time," Hassan said. To a query on feasibility of the 1867-built bridge, Hassan said the government was tending to lay down the outdated bridge, but the Port Grand management reclaimed it and renovated it in a way that sky rocketed original cost of the project, Rs 200 million, to over Rs 1 billion.

www.portgrand.com

Last edited:

Compaq

Councller (250+ posts)
Weldone MQM. Rashinoon ka shar mera shar I love Karachi. ..............If you need all this development in your city please vote MQM.

aping4

Senator (1k+ posts)
1 ) I think they are inviting the suicide attackers.
2 ) or soon a Kabza mafia will occupy the lands.

Pakistan 1st

Minister (2k+ posts)
It is an honor for us on having Asia's Largest Food Street in Pakistan....certainly MQM deserves huge appreciation on gifting this international quality venue to Pakistan.

Ammad Hafeez

Minister (2k+ posts)
1 ) I think they are inviting the suicide attackers.
2 ) or soon a Kabza mafia will occupy the lands.

1) We condemned the Suicide Attacks and Talibanization. But Karachi is on red Alert on the list of talibani Militants
2) Ohh, Land Mafia occupied in Karachi but Insha Allah Soon they will demolish soon, Don't Worry !!

Surferzag

Citizen
I have posted some pics and info about Port Grand on my blog. Is it possible to post a link here without getting banned?

hkniazi

Minister (2k+ posts)
I have posted some pics and info about Port Grand on my blog. Is it possible to post a link here without getting banned?

I think we are all civilized men here, mr. Zag. so I hope that the moderators shouldn't be having any problems with you posting anything from your Zagtalk.

Surferzag

Citizen
I think we are all civilized men here, mr. Zag. so I hope that the moderators shouldn't be having any problems with you posting anything from your Zagtalk.

Wasn't trying to offend anyone by attacking the civility of the members here :), but was just being careful as it was written any kind of links to other sites will lead to warnings or ban. I've had past experience in other forums where I've been kicked and banned from forum for linking my blog in the posts, therefore I thought I'd be careful and ask beforehand.

Night_Hawk

Siasat.pk - Blogger
A leisure facility for Karachi soon

A leisure facility for Karachi soon
20101101_42.jpg
Port Grand now in finishing stages

KARACHI: A leisure facility conceived by Grand Leisure Corporation and supported by Karachi Port Trust (KPT), Port Grand is now in its finishing stages.

Supported with over rupees one billion of investment by Grand Leisure Corporation, Port Grand is being built on land leased by KPT to Grand Leisure Corporation for initially 21 years on build, operate and transfer (BOT) basis.

This project has been designed and developed by leading US Architects, NEWWORK of New Jersey.

GLCs scope of work includes financing, construction, maintenance and operation of all aspects pertaining to the Port Grand.

The GLC almost rebuilt the whole one mile Old Napier Mole Bridge that includes removal of old deck slab, cleaning of rust and scaling of existing structure, strengthening of sub-structure and laying of new deck slab.

This work took around two year to completely revamped the bridge thus delayed the project for around two years.

The one kilometer bridge has been transformed into an entertainment and food enclave housing numerous eateries totaling 40,000 sqft of climate-controlled area and space for kiosks of exotic Pakistani and foreign food and a variety of beverages.

Once operational this project would provide direct employment to around 1,000 persons and indirectly to several thousands.

The Port Grand is a food, retail, entertainment and recreation complex. It offers ample area for landscaping, walkways, joyrides, dinner cruises, etc.

Port Grand is an effort to revive the culture and traditions of old Karachi as well as celebrate it as the City of Lights. It would revive the harbor culture, i.e. seafood, boating around the mangroves, pedestrian friendly harbor front experience etc. said Shahid Firoz, the spirit behind the project.

He said a good omen is that several foreign food chains and retail stores are coming to Pakistan and thus it would send a very positive signal to foreign investors about Pakistan.

The Port Grand will maintain international standard of food hygiene and the place and will be fully protected by high tech security solution. Port Grand also features a trading post for retail and fast food including international franchises; a floating restaurant, children play area and a Cineplex with different cafes. app