Afridi won't captain Pakistan again: Ijaz Butt

Geek

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
7-8-2011_18325_l.jpg

KARACHI: Pakistan cricket chief Ijaz Butt has said former one-day captain Shahid Afridi will never lead the national side again, blaming him for losing matches against the West Indies in May.

"In my opinion, perhaps considered wrong by some people, he made us lose the fourth and fifth one-dayers," Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Butt said in an interview to Geo Super.

"As far as I am concerned he is not captaincy material for the PCB anymore," said Butt of Afridi, who was dumped as captain after Pakistan won the overall series against the West Indies 3-2.

Afridi subsequently breached his contract by announcing his retirement from international cricket and criticising the PCB for mistreating senior players.

The PCB suspended Afridi's contract, revoked his permission to play abroad and directed him to appear before a disciplinary committee.

Afridi took the PCB to court but finally agreed on an out-of-court settlement that saw him fined 4.5 million rupees (52,000 dollars) but granted permission to play for Hampshire in the Twenty20 league in England.

Asked if Afridi would be allowed back on the team, Butt said: "He has not given us his retirement. If he wants to resign, he has to resign with the PCB.

"He is no more on our contract... after the West Indies tour he was no more the captain as our policy was to appoint a captain after every series and he knew that," said Butt.

Butt accused Afridi of politicising the row, saying he had to fend off calls from former Pakistani prime minister Nawaz Sharif and the governor of the Afridi's home province of Sindh, Ishrat-ul-Ibaad.

"I told them point blank that I will not budge and Afridi will have to appear before the disciplinary committee," said Butt. (AFP)

http://www.thenews.com.pk/NewsDetail.aspx?ID=18325

faqira786

Senator (1k+ posts)
This is a punishment for Afridi to Live in Karachi and support Karachi Cricketers. This happen to all cricket player or sportsman who live in karachi. People in board should stop discrimination for peopel in karachi,

sayeenwada

Councller (250+ posts)
Afridi should always play if the PCB wants to make money, if they (PCB) had any brains, they should have kept Shoaib Akhtar around too as they are crowd pullers and people want to see them on the ground. However, they are not Captain material!

kapadias

MPA (400+ posts)
this is a punishment for afridi to live in karachi and support karachi cricketers. This happen to all cricket player or sportsman who live in karachi. People in board should stop discrimination for peopel in karachi,

correct.

And the examples are 'hanif muhammed ' 'mushtaq muhammed' 'jawed miandad' 'aftab baloch' 'sikandar bakht' 'shoaib muhammed' 'rahsid lateef' 'basit ali' 'faisal iqbal' and many more

frenes

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Mulak bchana mushkil ho rha hai Cricket tu wasy b ab in ki ghatiya harkat ki wjha sey ab cora crkat ben gai hai. Kash koi muamla tu sudher jay.