50% rural population of Faisalabad have Hepatitis C [badal ke rakh dia Punjab]

Liberal.Punjabi

Senator (1k+ posts)
left-arrow-thin.gif
Liver disease: ‘50% of rural population hepatitis C positive’

Field report*s show that the percen*tage of people suffer*ing from hepati*tis is betwee*n 50 and 70.
By Imran Rana
Published: June 26, 2013

FAISALABAD: More than half of the rural population of Faisalabad is suffering from hepatitis C, field surveys conducted by the Liver Foundation Trust Faisalabad in June have concluded.

The trust- set up in 2005 under a private-public partnership- runs a liver centre and a mobile health care unit that visits a village each everyday in the region. It now plans to extend its capacity with a Rs100 million investment to deal with the emergency situation. The centre runs with help from philanthropists, who pay for two to 10 patients each.

Field reports show that the percentage of people suffering from hepatitis is between 50 and 70.
In the Muhammadwala village, where 223 patients were tested in the second week of June, 65 per cent were diagnosed with hepatitis C and four per cent with hepatitis B. In a village visited last week, the hepatitis C ratio was 69 per cent.

Doctors at the centre say patients lack awareness about how to protect themselves against the disease. The mobile health units reach out to liver patients at their doorsteps for creating awareness and treatment.

Sheikh Ashfaq Ahmad, the trust’s founder trustee, said trust was vaccinating hepatitis B patients in the rural areas free of cost. He said the daily expense of the unit was Rs300,000. Visiting villages cost Rs9 million a month. The money, he said, came from philanthropists. Overseas Pakistanis in the UK and the USA also contribute for the hospital, he added.

He said the land for the centre had been provided by the district headquarters hospital. The management had spent Rs30 million on purchase of the equipment for the centre, he added. Ahmad said the trust has been asking the businessmen in other cities to open similar centres as treatment of hepatitis C was very expensive.

Talking about the expansion plan, he said, it was designed to cater to the needs of the city where one-fourth of the population was suffering from the disease. He said the ratio was fast increasing.

Dilbur Hafeez, a patient at the liver centre, told The Express Tribune that he had been under treatment at the centre for several years. He said when he was first diagnosed with hepatitis C, he didn’t know he would live this long since he could not afford the treatment. “The hospital has not charged a single penny from my treatment,” he said.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/568272/liver-disease-50-of-rural-population-hepatitis-c-positive/

Last edited by a moderator:

Liberal.Punjabi

Senator (1k+ posts)
Polio, small Pox , Hepatitus A , Hepatitus B. TB, Renal Diseases , Cholera, Malaria . HIV , Downsyndrome and all other diseases are due to Punjab Government. Shame on Shahbaz Sharif for not finding a cure for HIV and Malaria.[hilar][hilar][hilar][hilar][hilar]

Stupid Man and his stupid Post!
Abusive language not allowed

Urooj_lbw

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Rural areas of Faislabad me bhi Metro bus chalwao, taake wahan Hepatitis kam hojai :) aik no ke jahil har.am khor, Noore u have my go, go go go and chitrol punjabis

Liberal.Punjabi

Senator (1k+ posts)
Polio, small Pox , Hepatitus A , Hepatitus B. TB, Renal Diseases , Cholera, Malaria . HIV , Downsyndrome and all other diseases are due to Punjab Government. Shame on Shahbaz Sharif for not finding a cure for HIV and Malaria.[hilar][hilar][hilar][hilar][hilar]

Stupid Man and his stupid Post!

Health department is responsible and health ministry in last 5 years was under Mian Shahbaz Sharif Butt

Sachbolo

Senator (1k+ posts)
I herd a lots of time "Ham nea banaia hay Punjab" is this the Punjab they are talking about or just that Red bus for Lahore, Motorway, Yellow Cab, Fleets of Bullet proof cars and Mercedes Benz what i can say is A fool is a fool is a fool is a fool. HOOR CHOOPO

samkhan

شاباش نورے، تو واقعی عوام کو انکی اوقات پر رکھتا ہے. عوام جو فصل بوئینگے وہی کاٹے گے. ایسے لوگو پر اللہ بھی رحم نہیں کرتا

جیسی کرنی ویسی بھرنی​

Health department is responsible and health ministry in last 5 years was under Mian Shahbaz Sharif Butt

and how many hospitals he inagurated or supported? how many new health facilities ....can you provide a list of projects completed in his 5 years or...can you prove how many cases were reported before and after shahbaz? were these diseases not there before ya shareef apnay sath laiker aya thaa?

Please please i request you not to post propaganda thread!

Liberal.Punjabi

Senator (1k+ posts)
and how many hospitals he inagurated or supported? how many new health facilities ....can you provide a list of projects completed in his 5 years or...can you prove how many cases were reported before and after shahbaz? were these diseases not there before ya shareef apnay sath laiker aya thaa?

///////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

Liberal.Punjabi

Senator (1k+ posts)

Nawaz Sharif Butt CM Punjab 1988 to 1990 . PML-N CM Punjab Ghullam Haider Wyne from 1990 to 1993. Shahbaz Sharif Butt CM Punjab 1997 to 1999 and 2008 to 2013. Both Butts ruled Punjab for a total of 13 years in last 25 years. More than 50% duration in last 25 years.

Nawaz Sharif Butt CM Punjab 1988 to 1990 . PML-N CM Punjab Ghullam Haider Wyne from 1990 to 1993. Shahbaz Sharif Butt CM Punjab 1997 to 1999 and 2008 to 2013. Both Butts ruled Punjab for a total of 13 years in last 25 years. More than 50% duration in last 25 years.

1988 - 1990 is 2 yrs
1997-1999 is 2 yrs
2008 - 2012 is 4 yrs

So in 8 yrs you expect a Human being to eradicate major developing country health related epidemics. You and your great expectations. OOO yeh virus jo hote hein naa yeh antibiotics say nahi mertay do some research on what is a virus and what is a bacteria and then give me a list of countries from our region where these diseases are not found.
Waterborne diseases are prevalent in all developing countries like India, Pakistan , Afghanistan , Sudan , Congo and even in advanced countries like CHina etc. It is indeed very naive of you to blame these virus related epidemics on Nawaz shareef. You need to educate yourself!

Liberal.Punjabi

Senator (1k+ posts)
1988 - 1990 is 2 yrs
1997-1999 is 2 yrs
2008 - 2012 is 4 yrs

So in 8 yrs you expect a Human being to eradicate major developing country health related epidemics. You and your great expectations. OOO yeh virus jo hote hein naa yeh antibiotics say nahi mertay do some research on what is a virus and what is a bacteria and then give me a list of countries from our region where these diseases are not found.
Waterborne diseases are prevalent in all developing countries like India, Pakistan , Afghanistan , Sudan , Congo and even in advanced countries like CHina etc. It is indeed very naive of you to blame these virus related epidemics on Nawaz shareef. You need to educate yourself!
Do you take Math lessons from Butt?

Do you take Math lessons from Butt?

I failed to educate you . When teachers like me fail , Mutaz Qadries fill the vaccum. Only he can make people like you understand Mr. Liberal Punjabi jee!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I lack the recklessness and force. May be some other day when u are more receptive I will try again!

IhsanIlahi

1988 - 1990 is 2 yrs
1997-1999 is 2 yrs
2008 - 2012 is 4 yrs

1985 se 1988 tak wadda Ganjja CM tha.... ????
1990 se 1993 tk Ghulam Haider Wayein ko jedda se import kiya tha nooray ne ????

2013 wala year qu kaat diya..... ? Us main showbaaz ki new biwi ka purana bf CM tha kia???

1985 se 1988 tak wadda Ganjja CM tha.... ????
1990 se 1993 tk Ghulam Haider Wayein ko jedda se import kiya tha nooray ne ????

2013 wala year qu kaat diya..... ? Us main showbaaz ki new biwi ka purana bf CM tha kia???

Easy Easy election haar jane kay baad ub bemarioun ka ronay roo rahe ho? Most of these diseases are related to lack of sanitary environment which is poor in all developing countries. Elections haaar gaye ub ghussa beemarioun per laga rahe hein.

Start washing your hands with soap and scrub vigorously.
Make sure all food items are well protected from flies
Do not leave open garbage in the streets
Do not Defecate or urinate in the open
Make sure when you goto the barber that new razor is used for the haircut
Avoid drinking from other's glasses
Boil water and put chlorine tabs in your water tanks.

And Please Please stop Jahilana Threads. Kia Bachpun May school nahe gaye thaa ya kissi ghareeb kay ghar paida hogaye thay kay tumhe yeh batein nahi pataa jo menay batayein hein?

Technocrat

MPA (400+ posts)
Easy Easy election haar jane kay baad ub bemarioun ka ronay roo rahe ho? Most of these diseases are related to lack of sanitary environment which is poor in all developing countries. Elections haaar gaye ub ghussa beemarioun per laga rahe hein.

Start washing your hands with soap and scrub vigorously.
Make sure all food items are well protected from flies
Do not leave open garbage in the streets
Do not Defecate or urinate in the open
Make sure when you goto the barber that new razor is used for the haircut
Avoid drinking from other's glasses
Boil water and put chlorine tabs in your water tanks.

And Please Please stop Jahilana Threads. Kia Bachpun May school nahe gaye thaa ya kissi ghareeb kay ghar paida hogaye thay kay tumhe yeh batein nahi pataa jo menay batayein hein?

1988 - 1990 is 2 yrs
1997-1999 is 2 yrs
2008 - 2012 is 4 yrs

It is a shame that people are blindly supporting political parties for no particular reason. For the sake of Allah, it is just a political party, and not a religion or prophet that people are complaining against.

Who should the people blame when they are not getting clean water? Who should the people blame when their children are not getting the education they deserve? Who should the people blame when their kids are facing malnutrition?

Pakistan was created to be an example for good reasons, but we are now making Pakistan a lesson to be learned for other countries; Don't we feel ashamed about it in any way?

I don't give a dime if PTI is in power, or PMLN is in power; I only care about the fact that the ruler should do things for the country but sadly people defend the leaders without even thinking once about the plight of the person who deals with those diseases in such high percentages. I feel very strongly that WE as a Nation are dead, it is now merely survival of the fittest; Law of the jungle.

Humi

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
I am sure it is a big problem but that number seems too big to be true....I hope it is not true...(serious)

Technocrat

MPA (400+ posts)
Hello Knock Knock any Brain up there? Diseases are a medical problem and not a Political One! Only a stupid would expect a political party to find cure of Cancer and HIV!

I've a brain, but you seem to have a brain that has never been used. I'm talking about diseases that can be controlled through "human" development initiatives, like clean water, controlled disposal of factory wastes into the ground or streams, development of community health centers to effectively provide immediate medical attention to rural areas, control of additives (milaawat - including medicine!) in food items and so many other things that the Government should take charge of so that people don't live in a constant fear of diseases.

Is that complicated to comprehend?

I've a brain, but you seem to have a brain that has never been used. I'm talking about diseases that can be controlled through "human" development initiatives, like clean water, controlled disposal of factory wastes into the ground or streams, development of community health centers to effectively provide immediate medical attention to rural areas, control of additives (milaawat - including medicine!) in food items and so many other things that the Government should take charge of so that people don't live in a constant fear of diseases.

Is that complicated to comprehend?

What a part of my previous reply did you not understand? The problems you have mentioned are communal/environmental problems and not Political. The change has to be brought from with in the society. The Overall culture has to change.

Do you really expect a one month old Govt. to clean up all the rivers and to teach people how to improve their sanitation habits , how not to get HIV and Hepatitus OOOOOOO Man Give us a break and please do not overdo it and make a fool of yourself.
Chapter closed! THIS IS NOT A POLITCAL ISSUE!

Night_Hawk

Siasat.pk - Blogger
Preventive measures: Hepatitis B,C leading cause of liver cancer
Liver cancer is the fifth most diagnosed cancer globally and the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the world, doctors stated at the seminar.

Five million Pakistanis suffer from hepatitis B, which can lead to hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) the most common type of liver cancer with or without cirrhosis, said Dr Muhammad Salih, of Shifa International Hospital on Wednesday.

According to a press release issued by the hospital, Dr Salih, a gastroenterologist and hepatologist by profession, was speaking at a seminar on liver cancer organised by the hospital in collaboration with the World Gastroenterology Organisation.
The event was attended by health consultants, doctors, medical students and citizens.
Liver cancer is the fifth most diagnosed cancer globally and the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the world, doctors stated at the seminar.
The speakers stressed that as prevention from liver cancer and related diseases was easily possible, people must adopt them to avoid the disease.
Salih said liver cancer can be prevented by checking obesity, alcohol consumption, active screening for detecting hepatitis B and C, which can be caused through transmission of blood and bodily fluids.
He also advised caution when using syringes in hospitals and asked people to be wary of second hand medical instruments.
Published in The Express Tribune, May 30[SUP]th[/SUP], 2013.
http://tribune.com.pk/story/556174/preventive-measures-hepatitis-bc-leading-cause-of-liver-cancer/

Night_Hawk

Siasat.pk - Blogger
[h=1]Hepatitis C
[/h] Fact sheet N164
July 2012

[h=3]Key facts[/h]
  • Hepatitis C is a liver disease caused by the hepatitis C virus.
  • The disease can range in severity from a mild illness lasting a few weeks to a serious, lifelong condition that can lead to cirrhosis of the liver or liver cancer.
  • The hepatitis C virus is transmitted through contact with the blood of an infected person.
  • About 150 million people are chronically infected with hepatitis C virus, and more than 350 000 people die every year from hepatitis C-related liver diseases.
  • Hepatitis C is curable using antivirals.
  • There is currently no vaccine for hepatitis C; however, research in this area is ongoing.

Hepatitis C is a contagious liver disease that results from infection with the hepatitis C virus. It can range in severity from a mild illness lasting a few weeks to a serious, lifelong illness.
The hepatitis C virus is usually spread when blood from an infected person enters the body of a susceptible person. It is among the most common viruses that infect the liver.
Every year, 3–4 million people are infected with the hepatitis C virus. About 150 million people are chronically infected and at risk of developing liver cirrhosis and/or liver cancer. More than 350 000 people die from hepatitis C-related liver diseases every year.
[h=3]Geographical distribution[/h] Hepatitis C is found worldwide. Countries with high rates of chronic infection are Egypt (15%), Pakistan (4.8%) and China (3.2%). The main mode of transmission in these countries is attributed to unsafe injections using contaminated equipment.
[h=3]Transmission[/h] The hepatitis C virus is most commonly transmitted through exposure to infectious blood. This can occur through:

• receipt of contaminated blood transfusions, blood products and organ transplants;
  • injections given with contaminated syringes and needle-stick injuries in health-care settings;
  • injection drug use;
  • being born to a hepatitis C-infected mother.
Hepatitis C may be transmitted through sex with an infected person or sharing of personal items contaminated with infectious blood, but these are less common.
Hepatitis C is not spread through breast milk, food or water or by casual contact such as hugging, kissing and sharing food or drinks with an infected person.
[h=3]Symptoms[/h] The incubation period for hepatitis C is 2 weeks to 6 months. Following initial infection, approximately 80% of people do not exhibit any symptoms. Those people who are acutely symptomatic may exhibit fever, fatigue, decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, dark urine, grey-coloured faeces, joint pain and jaundice (yellowing of skin and the whites of the eyes).
About 75-85 % of newly infected persons develop chronic disease and 60–70% of chronically infected people develop chronic liver disease; 5–20% develop cirrhosis and 1–5% die from cirrhosis or liver cancer. In 25 % of liver cancer patients, the underlying cause is hepatitis C.
[h=3]Diagnosis[/h] Diagnosis of acute infection is often missed because a majority of infected people have no symptoms. Common methods of antibody detection cannot differentiate between acute and chronic infection. The presence of antibodies against the hepatitis C virus indicates that a person is or has been infected. The hepatitis C virus recombinant immunoblot assay (RIBA) and hepatitis C virus RNA testing are used to confirm the diagnosis.
Diagnosis of chronic infection is made when antibodies to the hepatitis C virus are present in the blood for more than six months. Similar to acute infections, diagnosis is confirmed with an additional test. Specialized tests are often used to evaluate patients for liver disease, including cirrhosis and liver cancer.
[h=3]Getting tested[/h] Early diagnosis can prevent health problems that may result from infection and prevent transmission to family members and other close contacts. Some countries recommend screening for people who may be at risk for infection.
These include:

• people who received blood, blood products or organs before screening for hepatitis C virus was implemented, or where screening was not yet widespread;
  • current or former injecting drug users (even those who injected drugs once many years ago);
  • people on long-term hemodialysis;
  • health-care workers;
  • people living with HIV;
  • people with abnormal liver tests or liver disease;
  • infants born to infected mothers.
[h=3]Treatment[/h] Hepatitis C does not always require treatment. There are 6 genotypes of hepatitis C and they may respond differently to treatment. Careful screening is necessary before starting the treatment to determine the most appropriate approach for the patient.
Combination antiviral therapy with interferon and ribavirin has been the mainstay of hepatitis C treatment. Unfortunately, interferon is not widely available globally, it is not always well tolerated, some virus genotypes respond better to interferon than others, and many people who take interferon do not finish their treatment. This means that while hepatitis C is generally considered to be a curable disease, for many people this is not a reality.
Scientific advances have led to the development of new antiviral drugs for hepatitis C, which may be more effective and better tolerated than existing therapies. Two new therapeutic agents telaprevir and boceprevir have recently been licensed in some countries. Much needs to be done to ensure that these advances lead to greater access and treatment globally.
[h=3]Prevention[/h] [h=5]Primary prevention [/h] There is no vaccine for hepatitis C. The risk of infection can be reduced by avoiding:

• unnecessary and unsafe injections;
  • unsafe blood products;
  • unsafe sharps waste collection and disposal;
  • use of illicit drugs and sharing of injection equipment;
  • unprotected sex with hepatitis C-infected people;
  • sharing of sharp personal items that may be contaminated with infected blood;
  • tattoos, piercings and acupuncture performed with contaminated equipment.
[h=5]Secondary and tertiary prevention[/h] For people infected with the hepatitis C virus, WHO recommends:

• education and counseling on options for care and treatment;
  • immunization with the hepatitis A and B vaccines to prevent coinfection from these hepatitis viruses to protect their liver;
  • early and appropriate medical management including antiviral therapy if appropriate; and
  • regular monitoring for early diagnosis of chronic liver disease.
[h=3]WHO response[/h] WHO is working in the following areas to prevent and control viral hepatitis:

• raising awareness, promoting partnerships and mobilizing resources;
  • evidence-based policy and data for action;
  • prevention of transmission; and
  • screening, care and treatment.
WHO also organizes World Hepatitis Day on 28 July every year to increase awareness and understanding of viral hepatitis.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs164/en/