Scholarship: 35000 Rs per month, free education, free accommodation, and a servant

alpha

MPA (400+ posts)
Role of Corps of Engineers
Primary Role

To support the Army in all its combat operations, so that the move of the Army is facilitated in offensive operations and the move of the enemy is impeded while own Army in defense. Engineers are also responsible for the survivability of the Army. Engineers are, thus, those soldiers who “First to enter and last to leave the battle field”.

Secondary Role

Engineers are also trained to fight as infantry, and Corps of Engineers is proud recipient of various battle honors for gallantry actions in infantry role, in addition to performance as combat sappers.

Other Minor Roles

In addition to national Building tasks, Corps of Engineers maintains few specialized outfits, which are meant for survey, bomb disposal, and can undertake these tasks to limited extent.

War Performance

1948 War

The engineers tasks especially opening of & constructing roads and tracks were enormous and resources scanty. The terrain was difficult, hills were precipitous and there were no roads; engineer operations were thus hazardous. Sappers constructed and maintained hundreds of miles of roads, took guns to the highest ridges by ingenious methods, destroyed enemy's Line of Communication and other installations. They have Laid/removed thousands of mines and created innumerable road blocks. The Sappers are made substantial contribution for the freedom of that part of Jammu & Kashmir, which is now called Azad Kashmir.

1965 War

The Engineers played a role in not only defending their homeland but also in capturing enemy territory. The Enemy, who had all the advantage of surprise in launching attacks in various sectors, was halted in the shortest possible time by rapid demolition of bridges, laying of mines and denying all the routes of his advance.

Kasur Sector

Three bridges of different classifications for crossing of tanks and other vehicles were built on Rohi-Nullah and BRB Canal, which facilitated attack on Khem Karan.

Lahore Sector

Seven bridges on BRB Canal and Hudiara drain were demolished mostly under enemy fire & Artillery shelling. Thousands of anti-tank and anti personnel mines were laid. In the enemy’s dream of capturing Lahore was falsified.

Sialkot Sector

Demolition of Jassar Bridge in the face of enemy brigade group was most challenging and perilous task for the engineers. All the avenues of advance of the enemy in Sialkot, Zafarwal, Chawinda and Pasrur sectors were completely denied by laying thousands of anti tank and anti personnel mines.

Chhamb - Jaurian Operations

Engineers supported the fighting troops in offensive as well as defensive-operations by providing crossing over Manawar Tawi River. Improving / building and maintaining tracks / roads and laying as well as breaching the minefields.

1971 War
In West Pakistan as well as in East Pakistan, the Engineer units also performed their role as Infantry under adverse circumstances. One of our battalions captured an enemy position after a bitter fighting in Sulemanki Area and was awarded the battle honour of "PAKKA 71".

Another engineer battalion not only provided prompt engineer support for a brigade crossing by unconventional methods and improvisation for capture of Chhamb, but it also made a gap of 600 yards in 45 minutes for the armour in Chhamb Sector. It fought as infantry and annihilated an enemy platoon. This battalion got the Battle Honour of "Chhamb 71". An engineers battalion supporting an Infantry Division in Rann of Kachh laid 80,000 Anti Tank and Anti Personnel mines. This figure indicates how much engineer effort, energy and skill was involved for such a colossal task. The desert was used by engineers troops to their best advantage, while enemy seemed reluctant to venture away from roads and tracks.

Peace Time Contribution

Pre Partition

Some of the works carried out by the military engineers before independence, and which are assets to Pakistan are listed below:-
Lower Chenab Canal. Jhelum Canals. Upper Swat Canal. Canals in Sind. Sukkur Barrage. Roads in NWFP & Baluchistan. Railway Line Khushalgarh to Tal. Railway Line Peshawar to Landi Kotal.
Bolan - Harnai Railway.

Post Partition Some major projects undertaken after independence are:-
Karakuram Highway.
Gilgit - Skardu Road Chitral Road.
A number of roads in Balochistan.
Irrigation works in Balochistan.
Network of roads in Azad Kashmir.
Northern Area Roads.
Flood protection bunds in Sindh.
Khanpur Dam.
Airfields and airstrips at various places.
Thermal Power Stations.
Salinity control, rehabilitation and drainage projects.
Power generation projects at Muzaffargarh and Mangla.
Construction of urban roads of Lahore, Faisalabad, Sialkot, Multan, Rawalpindi and other cities.
Up-gradation of National Highway N-5.
Management of Motorway.
City Development
Packages.
Development of Defence Housing Societies.
Makran Coastal Road Project.
Lyari Expressway Project.
United Nations Peace Keeping Missions

Corps of Engineers participated, whole heartedly, in United Nations Humanitarian & Peacekeeping Missions as part of Pakistan Army Contingent. (Pak Engineers have done extremely well as peacekeepers and builders in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bosina, Haiti, Western Sahara and East Timor. Presently, Pak Engineers are employed in Sierra Leone and Liberia.

In Aid of Civil Power

Natural calamities like floods, earthquakes, failure of communication networks etc call for organized engineer support. Corps of engineers has undertaken these tasks in the past and may be required to act in aid of civil power in future as well. Flood relief tasks are planned and monitored by the army formations under centralized control of Engineer Directorate. Engineers play a key role in this operation. Before the flood season, the engineers inspect all the protection bunds and other precautionary measures, which are necessary to combat the flood menace. They advise the civil Government to improve the efficiency of such measures.

National Calamities

Since independence, sappers have been intimately involved in multi-dimensional activities of wide spectrum. In times of natural disasters, sappers have responded with silent resolve and deep commitment to alleviate sufferings of distressed people and assisted in reconstruction and rehabilitations, may it be floods, earthquakes or other disasters. The Corps of Engineers responded the call of nation, when-ever need arose, and it preformed admirably to redress the sufferings of their fellow country-mates. Some of major catastrophic events are as under:-
Un-precedented floods in 1974, 1988 and 1992.
Earthquakes in Northern Areas of NWFP.

Honours & Awards
The honours and awards conferred on the officers and men of the corps since independence excluding Imtiaz and Khidmat series commendation certificate, are as under:-

Sitara-i-Juraat 13
Sitara-i-Basalat 11
Tamgha-i-Juraat 21
Tamgha-i-Basalat 14

source : http://www.pakistanarmy.gov.pk/AWPReview/TextContent.aspx?pId=23&rnd=453

malikbhai

MPA (400+ posts)
You know I have many friends studying in europe on scholorship provided by Pakistan Govt. you know they receive 1000 euros per month stipend plus university fees for whole annual year I think this should be appreciated if Govt or army providing fecilities for higher education.mr Adnan swati plz try to view the optimistic angle of things insted of creating Fazool propogenda.

mt_dilber

MPA (400+ posts)
OK so why fine & fit candidates from Army only? resources should be equal my friend, if Army is getting handsome amount of Budget by force, that doesn't make any credibility of Army Institute.

because Army can provide candidates to NUST which are fine and fulfill their criteria. Civilian institutes also run same fine and fit selection and send them abroad for Phd, e.g HEC . If army takes a chunk of the budget they make sure, it is spent on the actual cause, however civilians don't use their budget in right cause and thus ordinary man can not see development in civil society and politicians tell civilians that they don't have money in their budget coz army takes big part of it. but in reality, they keep it in their own banks.
So moral of the story is both Army and Civil organisations get money, Army spend it on its employee and provide them best facilities and it is the priority for them. But civilians can provide opportunities to local man but they dont because it is not their priority

abbasiali

Minister (2k+ posts)
That again is a debatable point.Do you sincerely think with the security situation in the sub continent and India spending hundreds of billions of dollars on it's defence establishment we can lower our gaurds ? On the other hand a so called nasty " War on Terror " is going on our Eastern Borders, Do you think we have a choice ? I dont think so !!!

I don't think so we need any debate in this regard, unfortunately Pakistan has gone to the lowest level of depth, where no one would dare to conquer this country, specially India,

Indians do they need to conquer Pakistan, when they are already dominating in every Pakistanis home through their TV & FILM, Majority of Pakistani's youth is Indian hero or heroine, then why would they do silly attempt to invade Pakistan and have their debth and liabilities on their head.

What is war of terrorism, When Imran Khan organised his "DHARNA" then we don't experience any fatality, and within same week Navy got targeted, I believe this is not the war of terrorism, this is war of own benefits, or TOPI DRAMA

My biggest problem is, I always compare Canadian standard to Pakistan, and under which I found every one dishonest and hypocrite.

abbasiali

Minister (2k+ posts)
good joke my dear.army is getting handsome amount of budget BY FORCE. lol who told u that?

OK, Then what is the reality, why funds are not allocated to higher education of Pakistan and Army is producing professionals, so strange.

abbasiali

Minister (2k+ posts)
because those funds are eaten by termite (Politicians) ...

So you are saying its 50/50 both institute get their equal share, Army utilizes in right place and Civilian Government consume everything on them personally, thanks for making me laugh, just read out the last years budget please.

canadian

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
"I found every one dishonest and hypocrite. "
@abbasiali
Brother,
I dont agree with your above statement.Difference of opinion is the essence of democracy.We are all sincere,patriotic and hard working Pakistanis.Just imagine living in this Countr we spend hours on this forum discussing affairs of our beloved Country which shows our love and affection for Pakistan.Yes sometimes we disagree......but again this is what is called democracy.So I am sure you will take it in good stride and allow us to discuss all issues related to our beloved Country,what ever they may be.I think this is every Pakistani's right ? Isn't it.

Faisal Vohra

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
scholarship:

35000 rs per month ,
free education,
free accommodation,
and a servant

and of you would love to have this treat but that only for Pakistan army .
here the story:
my friend's friend got commission in army getting 68 percent marks in F.sc. after completing two year training as a soldier he opted for engineer corpse. now after completing three year of his job he has started his studies as an undergraduate in NUST at the age of 24 years getting all above facilities.

Question is:
if army has to send him to engineer corpse why was he trained as a soldier.
after completing 5 year of his job he started his undergraduate study wasting million of public money.

what about those engineers in market who have no job and they studied on their own expense.they would have been a much better option.

can a civilian even think of getting admission in NUST after getting 68 percent marks??

above scenario will tell you why our defense budget is in 100 of billions

Little knowledge is danerous, you are an imposter, you are an indian agent who wants people to hate their own ARMY which is protecting us from you and your so called Indian Friend. Have you research that in INDIAN ARMY , same is happening and around the world in all the Armies. I am working in NHS in UK, Now when i tried to improve my qualification , I was given study support which is more than what your friend is given, First Research and then talk, do not misguide people

mt_dilber

MPA (400+ posts)
So you are saying its 50/50 both institute get their equal share, Army utilizes in right place and Civilian Government consume everything on them personally, thanks for making me laugh, just read out the last years budget please.

'Assuming' things can lead to 'misconception' . I never said 50/50 . we are in state of war. and we were fighting a war last year as well. You get according to your performance. Even if civilians get 70%, you will not see anything happening. :) . If Army is getting more , they are working, and you have seen it (it is a separate debate whether the war is just on unjust).

abbasiali

Minister (2k+ posts)
'Assuming' things can lead to 'misconception' . I never said 50/50 . we are in state of war. and we were fighting a war last year as well. You get according to your performance. Even if civilians get 70%, you will not see anything happening. :) . If Army is getting more , they are working, and you have seen it (it is a separate debate whether the war is just on unjust).

What are they fighting and for whom they are fighting, we all are well aware, here we are not talking about this war, this is a very simple topic, Equality is a issue, and you are still keep trying to twist this issue into your choice area,

abbasiali

Minister (2k+ posts)
"I found every one dishonest and hypocrite. "
@abbasiali
Brother,
I dont agree with your above statement.Difference of opinion is the essence of democracy.We are all sincere,patriotic and hard working Pakistanis.Just imagine living in this Countr we spend hours on this forum discussing affairs of our beloved Country which shows our love and affection for Pakistan.Yes sometimes we disagree......but again this is what is called democracy.So I am sure you will take it in good stride and allow us to discuss all issues related to our beloved Country,what ever they may be.I think this is every Pakistani's right ? Isn't it.

O Dear Canadian my dear Brother, please accept my apology if I make you feel bad for any reason.

When did I have any contradiction or controversy with you, Never feel any one to refrain talking about their right, and neither allowed any one to interfere any one's right.

Sub is very simple, we are simply talking about the equality, Being origin Pakistani, we both have same feeling, then why discrimination for one institute and for other support.

Every Pakistani have right to have better life, so how could you justify by supporting one.

canadian

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
O Dear Canadian my dear Brother, please accept my apology if I make you feel bad for any reason.

When did I have any contradiction or controversy with you, Never feel any one to refrain talking about their right, and neither allowed any one to interfere any one's right.

Sub is very simple, we are simply talking about the equality, Being origin Pakistani, we both have same feeling, then why discrimination for one institute and for other support.

Every Pakistani have right to have better life, so how could you justify by supporting one.

@
abbasiali
This is a democratic right of each citizen to have an opinion which he perceives in his own logic as correct and on the other hand anybody else has the same right to disagree with him.In Canada some people like Conservatives and Stephen Harper,I dont.I favour liberals.This is my democratic right and nobody can compel to change my opinion,yes somebody can convince me with his arguments.Dont you think that's the way it should be ??

digitalzygot

Senator (1k+ posts)
Army does have an excellent recruitment system, 95% of candidates that are selected are on merit remaining 5% are sons and daughters of serving/retired armed forces officers, it is this 5% I am worried about. I passed all the tests,medical and after interview was put on a waiting list, another guy who was son of Rtd Maj.General appeared in tests with me and got selected. I wasn't jealous but I had some serious questions as I worked with that guy for like a year and had known him pretty well, he clearly didn't deserve it. I preferred to move overseas but army selction isn't 100% merit, those who think it's are wrong. My father was in armed forces and he said I will never talk to someone to get you selected though I was right there after passing everything on merit, this is the sort of man he's but I guess every father isn't the same. Overall I will give armed forces selection an A+ but not A++.

adnan_swati

Senator (1k+ posts)
I can smell jealousy .....

1. Army selects candidates after many sophisticated tests, and they chose the best both physically and mentally so you don't have to lose your sleep thinking over it, coz Army knows its job.

2.Training as a soldier is MUST no matter what role you are going to play being a soldier. It could be doctor, engineers, technician or what ever. And you dont seem to understand a simple fact that EVERY recruit remains a soldier through out his/her tenor and No matter what the job title is, they are expected to fight or assist a fight when required. So it is not WASTE of time.

3 For your kind information, civilian engineers can also apply for commission to join as captain see following link for your information;
http://www.friendsmania.net/forum/government-jobs-pakistan/90478.htm

4. ???68% marks, is that your only criteria to judge someone's ability or IQ level??? what a pity. Anyone who fulfill a minimum entry criteria and passes following screening tests, guarantees that the recruit can be a good professional. A candidate with 98% marks may not be a good professional as one who got 68% .

5. Yes, a civilian CAN think of study in NUST with 68% marks, and you have already told us that in your post :) (do u suffer from short-term memory loss??? a friend of ur friend got it, he didnt come from Mars, he was a civilian)

My polite advise to you;

Dont talk about things you dont know about.
or
Write a letter to Gen Kyani and ask him to appoint you Chief selector of Pak army because you know better and share this 'jewel' of information you shared with us.
or
Get a job in Pak army with all the benefits you mentioned above and freeze your lazy ass on Siachin glacier for 3 months and let us know when u get well.
or
Take a bath with cold water :)

1: no a civilian with 68 percent marks cant get admission in NUST . ask any nustian
2: yup army recruits some direct civil engineer but they are very very few in number. they can select all engineer as is done in any other organization saving millions of public money.
3: yes everyone gets training but here i mentioned that the guy was selected for long course. he graduated as a soldier. but this is his second Bachelors degree program.wouldn't it be better to directly hire someone with a engineering degree rather hiring a person who has already graduated as a soldier and is doing job for 5 years
4: the above mentioned guys will get degree as an engineer when he would be 28years old and then will start his career again in engineering corpse. that is after 10 year of paid job he will start his career.

4: if this is jealously then what would you say when you people speak against politicians and their own personal wealth

adnan_swati

Senator (1k+ posts)
Re: scholarship: 35000 rs per month ,free education, free accommodation, and a servant

Good answer.
Have you noticed this guy adnan-swati is always criticising our armed forces.
I request Admin. to take action.

not always . but yes i think that biggest hurdle to Pakistan's progress is its army. ask any intellectual around the world from any country that what is the reason that Pakistan didn't progress. they will tell you its because of your army.
(i think you haven't studied any other book other than your Pakistan studies book)

adnan_swati

Senator (1k+ posts)
That again is a debatable point.Do you sincerely think with the security situation in the sub continent and India spending hundreds of billions of dollars on it's defence establishment we can lower our gaurds ? On the other hand a so called nasty " War on Terror " is going on our Eastern Borders, Do you think we have a choice ? I dont think so !!!

so what does this mean ?? that all belongs to army??
as far as india is concerned this is also debatable issue that can our army stand against india with what have they done with their own people??? i will write something about this as well in near future