Is piracy ; using pirated softwares or hacking softwares halal or haram?

adnan_younus

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
its just like stealing.. so what ever stealing comes under its in same category.. but our brains only pick and choose the most suitable applicable things from quran and sunna and then shout on these things, try to force on these things on others.. but on issues where it doesnt apply on self.. we immediately go in ostrich syndrome...

babadeena

Minister (2k+ posts)
Also share ur views , morally and ethically.............
This is very good question and also a complicated one. In such
practices, not only individuals but countries are also involved. e.g.
China should be bombed, JF 17 should not be imported,
85 percent of military H/ware is copied.
Similarly, the Dara arsenal markets should be banned.
A thing when it is in commerce or commercialized, firms do
make copies, legally or illegally. I doubt very much that
anyone who invented sword for the first time, gave legal licenses to
all other to copy that. so on the lists of items will become very long.
At government level these type of things must be checked.

اگر یہ حلال نہی تو پھر غریب صرف ان سافٹویئر کا نام ھی سن سکتے ھیں۔ یہ سافٹویئر صرف امیروں کے لئے ھیں۔ غریب کہاں جائے۔ اس میں قصور سافٹوئیر بنانے والوں کا ھے۔ اگر وہ اس کی قیمت اتنی کردیں کہ ھر فرد وہ قوت خرید رکھتا ھو تو پھر کبھی بھی نقل تیار نہی ھو گی۔ لہذا وہ لوگ جو اس کو خریدنے کی سکت نہی رکھتے لیکن علم حاصل کرنے کی غرض سے امیر طبقے کے برابر اپنے حقوق کے لئے اس کی نقل خرید سکتے ھیں۔
فتواہ برائے فروخت۔

ھر وہ چیز جو علم کے حصول میں مددگار ھو اور اپنی حفاظت کے لئے بنائی جائے وہ حلال ھے۔

behzadji

Minister (2k+ posts)
Following is just my own opinion only and if you find anything repugnant to Quran and Sunnah, please throw my opinion to the other side of the wall:
Again it is the outcome which decides. Like killing innocent people is Haram but killing those who kill Muslims is not only Ja'iz but even Fardh. So hacking the common people's computers is wrong but hacking those computers who are always looking to harm our websites (like there was an attack from the Indians in the recent past on our government websites, in retaliation to which our hackers kept their BCCI website inaccessible for almost a week.) So it is the purpose which decides whether hacking is good or not. The same thing does not apply to piracy softwares as this is someone else's work which is used without his/her assent. It can never be rendered as legitimate.

smalltimepro

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)

A very tricky question indeed. Although most people think the answer is quite straight forward, it is not indeed.

Piracy laws call it theft. And if accepted as theft, it obviously becomes immoral, unethical and haram.

There is a little complexity in this though. Software or intellectual assets are not the same as material. Hence the shop lifting example cannot always be used. This is plainly because they can be replicated without cost and Cannot be depleted by use or distribution.
This essentially means that the same product can be sold for an unlimited number of times. This can sometimes result in a never ending chain of profit against a fixed initial effort/cost. One can always question if that too is ethical, moral or halal.

At present there are western law based definitions of intellectual asset, their distribution and sales. However these are man made definitions and will undoubtly change with time. Political parties on the other side of the argumenet already exist in several european countries (germany, sweden, belgium etc.) Complete list available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Parties_International. They even have representation in the european parliment.

It is worth listening to there viewpoint as well. The laws around this are already being challenged and may evolve in the near future.

Here is a scenario in which it is difficult to draw a line of morallity and shariah.
I buy a software/song/movie, I give to my friend for use. In material terms this would be sharing. In legal terms (present euro law) it is illegal. In shariah terms very difficult or impossible to call haram. Hence not that straight forward.

Here is a code I live by, if it helps you at all.
- Knowledge belongs to mankind. No one can assume ownership and hence cannot be stolen.
- Due credit/price must be paid for an intellectual asset if used commercially or for direct/indirect commercial benefit.
- I believe that media (e.g. audio/video material) should be open for sharing. Not for piracy, like some companies do on cassettes and cd's in Pak, but sharing. The difference is that one is done for commercial gane whereas the is only sharing between two individuals.
- Software must be paid for if used for any commercial or productive use. For test, experimentation or education you may use the grey area on you side :). (controversial, I know)

United4Pak

Minister (2k+ posts)
Islam emphasise on following law of the land as long as it doesn't clash with any Islamic law ( similar to following your parents unless they ask you to commit anything against Islam). Therefore, I believe it's Haram (or prohibited) in Islam to use pirated software if it's illegal in the country where you live which is almost every country in this day and age.

I hope it helps.

dukelondon

Senator (1k+ posts)
Excellent question bro. Its a tough one though. I think its wrong and is a gunah. Using the word haraam might not be appropriate here.

AbdulRehman

Staff member
I believe it is. It is someone's work and they are selling it.

It is kind of like you go to the local convenient store that is with out a shopkeeper, you are supposed to pay for the product you get from there. Remember Allah is watching you.

Adeel Bhai, That is excellent answer. I agree with you one 100%.

QaiserMirza

ہر وہ کام جس سے دوسروں کا حق مارا جائے
کسی کی ملکیت ناحق غصب کرنا
کسی کی ملکیت کو مالک کی اجازت کے بغیر استعمال کرنا
یا اس ملکیت سے فائدہ اٹھانا
حرام ہے

Aijazahmed

Minister (2k+ posts)
ھر وہ چیز جو علم کے حصول میں مددگار ھو اور اپنی حفاظت کے لئے بنائی جائے وہ حلال ھے۔
Food gives you energy and energy gives you power to secure you.
So as per your logic anything you eat and drink becomes halal. How about pork and alcohol????????????

cefspan

Minister (2k+ posts)

rightly said , reverse engineering happens everywhere! thanks!

cefspan

Minister (2k+ posts)
اگر یہ حلال نہی تو پھر غریب صرف ان سافٹویئر کا نام ھی سن سکتے ھیں۔ یہ سافٹویئر صرف امیروں کے لئے ھیں۔ غریب کہاں جائے۔ اس میں قصور سافٹوئیر بنانے والوں کا ھے۔ اگر وہ اس کی قیمت اتنی کردیں کہ ھر فرد وہ قوت خرید رکھتا ھو تو پھر کبھی بھی نقل تیار نہی ھو گی۔ لہذا وہ لوگ جو اس کو خریدنے کی سکت نہی رکھتے لیکن علم حاصل کرنے کی غرض سے امیر طبقے کے برابر اپنے حقوق کے لئے اس کی نقل خرید سکتے ھیں۔
فتواہ برائے فروخت۔

VERY FEW FREEWARE r actually working , aur price hotae bhi dollars aur euros maen hae...

cefspan

Minister (2k+ posts)
Following is just my own opinion only and if you find anything repugnant to Quran and Sunnah, please throw my opinion to the other side of the wall:
Again it is the outcome which decides. Like killing innocent people is Haram but killing those who kill Muslims is not only Ja'iz but even Fardh. So hacking the common people's computers is wrong but hacking those computers who are always looking to harm our websites (like there was an attack from the Indians in the recent past on our government websites, in retaliation to which our hackers kept their BCCI website inaccessible for almost a week.) So it is the purpose which decides whether hacking is good or not. The same thing does not apply to piracy softwares as this is someone else's work which is used without his/her assent. It can never be rendered as legitimate.

u FIRST LINE , ITS great , Better for clearification.....

swing

Good Question Bro!
And I hope Kay members isee mozo per rehay.aur apnay apnay views likhay.

Last edited: