GB Annexation: PTI failed to grab enough support :South China Post

The Pakistani

Minister (2k+ posts)

49a9ee92-2fce-11eb-be20-200ca6256645_image_hires_184419.jpg

Pakistan’s plan to annex Kashmir’s Gilgit-Baltistan hits snag amid disputed election fallout​

• For the first time in over a decade, the party of power in Islamabad has failed to win a clear majority in Gilgit-Baltistan’s legislative assembly elections
  • Hopes of a strong mandate for making the region Pakistan’s fifth province have been dashed, just as a national opposition coalition gains momentum

A hotly disputed election in Gilgit-Baltistan, part of the wider Kashmir region administered by Pakistanthat borders China, has not delivered the mandate for annexation that Prime Minister Imran Khan was hoping for, amid swirling allegations of federal interference in the electoral process.

For the first time since Gilgit-Baltistan’s legislative assembly was established in 2009, the party of power in Islamabad has failed to win a clear majority in the region’s elections. Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party and its ally Majlis-i-Wahdat-i-Muslimeen won just 10 of the assembly’s 24 directly elected seats, according to official results issued on Tuesday – a full nine days after voting concluded on November 15.

The PTI is still able to form a government for the region after striking a deal last weekend with six victorious independent candidates – all of them former party members. Six more PTI candidates have been elected to the nine seats reserved for women, technocrats and professionals under the region’s system of proportional representation.

Yet instead of strengthening the case for making Gilgit-Baltistan the fifth province of Pakistan, the election’s disputed outcome could now drag the remote mountainous region into a burgeoning opposition movement that seeks to overthrow Khan’s government.

The Pakistan Democratic Movement was formed in September with the express purpose of bringing an end to political interference by the country’s powerful military, which the opposition accuses of rigging the 2018 general elections in favour of Khan and his PTI. Its leaders had warned that their support for the annexation of Gilgit-Baltistan would be contingent upon free and fair elections being held in the region.

Shahzad Ilhami, a Gilgit-based spokesman for the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP), which forms part of the opposition coalition, said it was still unclear whether Khan’s government would go ahead with the constitutional reforms required to make Gilgit-Baltistan a province.

The ruling party does not have a two-thirds majority in parliament, so it can’t get the reforms approved. We suspect this [promised reform] was just an election stunt,” Ilhami told This Week In Asia.

The PPP secured just three of the seven seats it expected to win in the Gilgit-Baltistan elections, and dozens of its activists were arrested for rioting in the regional capital of Gilgit on Monday after violent protests broke out amid allegations of vote-rigging.

Khan’s administration has only a thin majority in the directly elected lower house of Pakistan’s parliament, and is dependent on support from regional parties with strong ties to the military. A PTI-led coalition is expected to gain control of the upper house, however, following indirect elections to be held in March.

Professor Ajmal Hussain, financial secretary of the PTI’s Gilgit-Baltistan chapter, dismissed opposition allegations of vote-rigging as a “rejection of the democratic expression of the people”, and said suggestions Khan’s administration would back out of constitutional reforms to upgrade the region’s status were “shocking”.

“These elections were important, and not just for Gilgit-Baltistan. For 73 years, we have not had fundamental rights and Prime Minister Imran Khan took a bold decision, despite pressure from India , the US and others,” he said.Geopolitical analysts focused on South Asia say Pakistan’s move to settle the constitutional status of Gilgit-Baltistan has been encouraged by China, at least in part.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/poli...nnex-kashmirs-gilgit-baltistan-hits-snag-amid

Attachments

• 1606681030485.png
    1606681030485.png
    73 bytes · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:

The Pakistani

Minister (2k+ posts)
I critisize PTI victory in GB from Day 1, Winning 10 out of 24 is a verdict against anexation. PTI should have beat independents and win atleast 18 seats to call it a landslide victory and a "Yes Vote".

Sonya Khan

Minister (2k+ posts)
I critisize PTI victory in GB from Day 1, Winning 10 out of 24 is a verdict against anexation. PTI should have beat independents and win atleast 18 seats to call it a landslide victory and a "Yes Vote".
Don’t worry GB will become 5th province of Pakistan soon ..... And btw ‘annexation’ is forcefull and is what the gutter of world endia is doing in Kashmir ...... GB was always ours .... it’s just an administrative change that GB will have ....

Saboo

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Don’t worry GB will become 5th province of Pakistan soon ..... And btw ‘annexation’ is forcefull and is what the gutter of world endia is doing in Kashmir ...... GB was always ours .... it’s just an administrative change that GB will have ....
Well can PTI still get a referendum done on annexation and get a majority yes vote...to shut up the critics?

<ChOuDhArY>

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
This article is from "Tom Hussain" who is an Islamabad-based journalist..

Before reading this article -- Here are some recent articles by this so called Journalist... You can decide the credibility of this news and this reporter.

- Protests erupt near Pakistan’s China border over vote-rigging claims in Gilgit-Baltistan
- Pizza corruption scandal risks dragging China into Pakistan’s domestic affairs
- Pakistan’s military pressured to withdraw support for Imran Khan as Covid-19 cases soar
- Pakistan’s Imran Khan loses control of coronavirus fight to military, amid corruption scandal
- Coronavirus: Pakistan struggles to track down 100,000 attendees of Tablighi Jamaat religious event
- Musharraf treason verdict could hurt Imran Khan – and China won’t mind
- Why Pakistan’s Islamists aren’t the real problem for Imran Khan
- Imran Khan’s China play threatens Middle East headache for Beijing

I hope this list of his recent news will help you to understand the purpose of this news even without reading the new. I myself didn't read the article but I spend some time and did some research about the author.

We know the credibility of Journalists in Pakistan... specially after they announced PMLN-Lifafa Wing. We need to think before reacting to any news.

-

Saboo

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
یہ شاید چائنا کا وہی اخبار ہے جس نے شہباز شریف کہ بارے میں کہا تھا کہ اسکی کام کرنے اسپیڈ دیکھ کر چائنیز بھی حیران ہیں

:)
ہاں یہ وہی اخبار ہے.. لیکن اس نے شہباز کے کام کی سپیڈ دیکھ کر نہیں کہا تھا وہ حیران ہیں؟
بلکہ اسکی کرپشن کرنے کی سپیڈ دیکھ کر حیران تھے کہ وہ اتنے تھوڑے وقت میں اتنا پیسہ کیسے
بنا لیتا ہے...دو چار چینی لوگوں نے بھی شہباز کی کاپی کرنے کی کوشش کی......اب وہ اس دنیا
میں نہیں.

A.jokhio

Minister (2k+ posts)
hahhaa...the article is from Tom Husain an anti PTI (Imran Khan), n Nawaz Sharif Supporter journalist....his ground is completely baseless...the question is..has apposition parties and independent s objected on GB annexation?...the answer is no..opposition also supports annexation...they themselves made promises in past with GB, in their campaign and Govt...Khan has made it happen...opposition is not against annexation therefore the argument that PTI did not won overwhelming majority, means this vote is against annexation, is stupid and rubbish....Mafia beneficiary journalist gets blind in their animosity against Imran khan initiative...pity them

<ChOuDhArY>

for your information.. All parties use the same slogan of Provincial Rights.. So it was not only PTI. If you dont know this then share one proof where any party fought elections against province .

Everyone knows that there will be hardly anyone in GB against Provincial status..

The Pakistani

Minister (2k+ posts)
یہ شاید چائنا کا وہی اخبار ہے جس نے شہباز شریف کہ بارے میں کہا تھا کہ اسکی کام کرنے اسپیڈ دیکھ کر چائنیز بھی حیران ہیں

:)
bat to such thi, Buzdar bhai k Underpass ne sabit kr dia?

The Pakistani

Minister (2k+ posts)
hahhaa...the article is from Tom Husain an anti PTI (Imran Khan), n Nawaz Sharif Supporter journalist....his ground is completely baseless...the question is..has apposition parties and independent s objected on GB annexation?...the answer is no..opposition also supports annexation...they themselves made promises in past with GB, in their campaign and Govt...Khan has made it happen...opposition is not against annexation therefore the argument that PTI did not won overwhelming majority, means this vote is against annexation, is stupid and rubbish....Mafia beneficiary journalist gets blind in their animosity against Imran khan initiative...pity them
Bhai tm kahin Faisal Javed to nh?
Bs Kr do yar, itni Andhi Support?

Hate_Nooras

Before reading this article -- Here are some recent articles by this so called Journalist... You can decide the credibility of this news and this reporter.

- Protests erupt near Pakistan’s China border over vote-rigging claims in Gilgit-Baltistan
- Pizza corruption scandal risks dragging China into Pakistan’s domestic affairs
- Pakistan’s military pressured to withdraw support for Imran Khan as Covid-19 cases soar
- Pakistan’s Imran Khan loses control of coronavirus fight to military, amid corruption scandal
- Coronavirus: Pakistan struggles to track down 100,000 attendees of Tablighi Jamaat religious event

I hope this list of his recent news will help you to understand the purpose of this news even without reading the new. I myself didn't read the article but I spend some time and did some research about the author.

We know the credibility of Journalists in Pakistan... specially after they announced PMLN-Lifafa Wing. We need to think before reacting to any news.

-
Sound like a made up name

NasNY

-
I am happy knowing others on this forum research the Author before reading the article.
Awareness about these Agenda Journalist is key in having consciousness about world issues.

Imran Siddiqi

Minister (2k+ posts)
The so Called Independents are Diehard PTI workers who ran Independent as protest to PTI leadership for not giving them ticket and joined PTI because they were already members of PTI..(one of them was district president of PTI)
Those who are disturbed by GB becoming Pakistan are opposing it one such example is Modi.

Oppostion Is Mafia

Minister (2k+ posts)

49a9ee92-2fce-11eb-be20-200ca6256645_image_hires_184419.jpg

Pakistan’s plan to annex Kashmir’s Gilgit-Baltistan hits snag amid disputed election fallout​

• For the first time in over a decade, the party of power in Islamabad has failed to win a clear majority in Gilgit-Baltistan’s legislative assembly elections
  • Hopes of a strong mandate for making the region Pakistan’s fifth province have been dashed, just as a national opposition coalition gains momentum

A hotly disputed election in Gilgit-Baltistan, part of the wider Kashmir region administered by Pakistanthat borders China, has not delivered the mandate for annexation that Prime Minister Imran Khan was hoping for, amid swirling allegations of federal interference in the electoral process.

For the first time since Gilgit-Baltistan’s legislative assembly was established in 2009, the party of power in Islamabad has failed to win a clear majority in the region’s elections. Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party and its ally Majlis-i-Wahdat-i-Muslimeen won just 10 of the assembly’s 24 directly elected seats, according to official results issued on Tuesday – a full nine days after voting concluded on November 15.

The PTI is still able to form a government for the region after striking a deal last weekend with six victorious independent candidates – all of them former party members. Six more PTI candidates have been elected to the nine seats reserved for women, technocrats and professionals under the region’s system of proportional representation.

Yet instead of strengthening the case for making Gilgit-Baltistan the fifth province of Pakistan, the election’s disputed outcome could now drag the remote mountainous region into a burgeoning opposition movement that seeks to overthrow Khan’s government.

The Pakistan Democratic Movement was formed in September with the express purpose of bringing an end to political interference by the country’s powerful military, which the opposition accuses of rigging the 2018 general elections in favour of Khan and his PTI. Its leaders had warned that their support for the annexation of Gilgit-Baltistan would be contingent upon free and fair elections being held in the region.

Shahzad Ilhami, a Gilgit-based spokesman for the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP), which forms part of the opposition coalition, said it was still unclear whether Khan’s government would go ahead with the constitutional reforms required to make Gilgit-Baltistan a province.

The ruling party does not have a two-thirds majority in parliament, so it can’t get the reforms approved. We suspect this [promised reform] was just an election stunt,” Ilhami told This Week In Asia.

The PPP secured just three of the seven seats it expected to win in the Gilgit-Baltistan elections, and dozens of its activists were arrested for rioting in the regional capital of Gilgit on Monday after violent protests broke out amid allegations of vote-rigging.

Khan’s administration has only a thin majority in the directly elected lower house of Pakistan’s parliament, and is dependent on support from regional parties with strong ties to the military. A PTI-led coalition is expected to gain control of the upper house, however, following indirect elections to be held in March.

Professor Ajmal Hussain, financial secretary of the PTI’s Gilgit-Baltistan chapter, dismissed opposition allegations of vote-rigging as a “rejection of the democratic expression of the people”, and said suggestions Khan’s administration would back out of constitutional reforms to upgrade the region’s status were “shocking”.

“These elections were important, and not just for Gilgit-Baltistan. For 73 years, we have not had fundamental rights and Prime Minister Imran Khan took a bold decision, despite pressure from India , the US and others,” he said.Geopolitical analysts focused on South Asia say Pakistan’s move to settle the constitutional status of Gilgit-Baltistan has been encouraged by China, at least in part.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/poli...nnex-kashmirs-gilgit-baltistan-hits-snag-amid
I dont where these stupid patwaris come from with no research and lies. With fake new IDs. Pti is getting stronger and bigger against 11 corrupt parties and finded by enemy india. 10 pti and 4 are also pti independents who couldnt get tickts and then 1 seat was joint partnership. Pmln and ppp lost after 40 years in power and corrupt in buying people.