BUDGET DISCUSSION, FIGURES, POLICIES AND COMMENTs

khanaman

Senator (1k+ posts)
A budget that is remarkably disconnected from the issues of the common man in Pakistan. A continuation of what has been happening for the last 66 years in this country. :13:

crankthskunk

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Dar is expecting the GDP to expand he predicted foreign reserves would be at $20 billion. Oh wishes oh wishes.

1. Monthly income support, formerly known as BB income support would increase to Rs1200. An increase of 20%. It would be 75 billion increased from 40 billion.
  2. Public corporations which ought to be sold will be sold , meaning Mian Mansha get ready with your purse. While for PIA we have Qaqani and Tariq ready on the wing.
  3. Foreign treasury bills to be issued to strengthen the foreign reserves.
  4. 60 days to clear the circular debt, meaning Saudi would be helping soon.
  5. Debt amount reaches Rs 14000 billion.
  6. A new scheme to be launced, subsidy on construction of houses under Rs 50 Lacs. Which according to Dar would help 50,000 people. The houses would be built by private corporation. Meaning that Khancha is set for Noon's favourite businessmen to apply for construction of houses and get their pockets filled.
  7. Increase on duties on Pan and Challia.
  8. Hybrid cars of up to 1200 CC to get 100% exemption.
  9. Cigarette prices are increased, duty increased from 2% to 3%.
  10. The exemption on taxes for Tribal belt has ended, which means that the troubles in the tribal areas wouldn't get increased fundings.

crankthskunk

All I see is free money flooding the market without anything productive or solid for it in return.

Loans grants pensions, laptops bullet trains and massive projects which will never get completed

16 Trillion !!!!

It means hyper inflation is around the corner

Watch for the Rupee to start falling. Rs200 to the by the end of the year............

When I came to the UK it was less than 4 rupees to one ..............

How long before the IMF ad Word Bank turn the screw...... and insist on adjustments before they lend anymore.

Where is all this going......................

Did he mention anything about the Electric Crises or Gas ............. or the price of fuel............

Is that Benazir Scheme business still going ?

Even I remember Rs13 to a 1. Man those were the days.(bigsmile)

UKPakistani

Even I remember Rs13 to a 1. Man those were the days.(bigsmile)

Do you think the rupee has fallen so low that it is time for a NEW Rupee equal to 100 old rupees ?

Turkey......... Just knocked off several Zeros and created a new "Lira"

It costs more to make a rupee coin than it is worth !!!!

Its time Pak did the same, just for a little stability and dignity

Abdul Allah

Minister (2k+ posts)
for many it might be a stupid question :( but i really need to know. (serious)

Why it is called "Sales" tax

When it is taken by consumer who "Purchased" it.
(omg)

escalations

MPA (400+ posts)
6-12-2013_149428_1.gif

kool.... atleast one good thing in the budget.
The rest is all same topi drama...
This budget and no basic change in Tax net does keep their power base intact [the electable from Punjab]

barca

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
I object on sales Tax 17 %.....it is max in the world I think...

It was max in Canada before and it is 13% now , they reduced it....

How Pakistani could afford it....

It is criminal activity actually. and it should not be more than 7 % in Pakistan....
sales Tax 21 %
spain main hai
:lol:

crankthskunk

Do you think the rupee has fallen so low that it is time for a NEW Rupee equal to 100 old rupees ?

Turkey......... Just knocked off several Zeros and created a new "Lira"

It costs more to make a rupee coin than it is worth !!!!

Its time Pak did the same, just for a little stability and dignity

I had been of that opinion for last 10 years. We should do it and knock of 00 from the value of the rupees, it would b equal to dollar then.

But before that we have to do a lot more. Pakistani economy can be handled very easily the problem is if you have the will. Documentation first step, second issue the notices to the businesses.

How many millions of shop keepers in Karachi for example, ok, fine there are some smaller one who may be out of the tax net because of their low income. But there are millions who do very well and should be paying large amount of tax. But what they do is bribe the inspector and avoid paying any tax at all.

A country with such record can not come out of the problems.

Here in the UK, the Inland Revenue keeps full record of all different sectors. They know exactly on what mark up different shops sell their goods. If you try to fudge, they would do your assessment for you and hit you with a heavy penalty if you were deliberately avoiding paying the correct tax.

Those they investigate, they find out what schools the children are going, if they going to private schools their fees, full details of the owners and her spouse bank accounts, air travel, how much is their house worth how much mortgage is paid by the person, etc etc. They consider all these facts to assess the income of a trader.

Usually they accept self assessment if it is within reasonable limit. But hanky panky and they would pull up everything against you and hit you with a massive fine too. They have wide ranging powers, you mass with them on your own perils. Specially the VAT inspectors they can shut your business down if you don't comply.

UKPakistani

sales Tax 21 %
spain main hai

UK it is 20%

Sales tax or VAT as it is here is one the THE MOST inefficient forms of taxation there is

It also applies to services not just goods........

EVERYONE selling something collects it and then claims it back when they sell something on

We also pay VAT on fuel but also Fuel duty and then vat on the duty !!

Total tax on a litre of fuel 73%

crankthskunk

sales Tax 21 %
spain main hai

Barca, Spain doesn't have sales tax it has VAT. Does it have VAT at 21%? We have 20% increased from 17.5%.

At least sales tax is less regressive. VAT is even more regressive. Even if the VAT is at 20% but it actually costs the end user between 25% to 30%. If you don't understand it I can explain.(bigsmile)

UK it is 20%

Sales tax or VAT as it is here is one the THE MOST inefficient forms of taxation there is

It also applies to services not just goods........

EVERYONE selling something collects it and then claims it back when they sell something on

We also pay VAT on fuel but also Fuel duty and then vat on the duty !!

Total tax on a litre of fuel 73%

The difference is that in UK tax is collected from every sector but in pakistan burden is put again and again on same people who are paying taxes.....

UKPakistani

A question for you and all others and one I have NEVER seen discussed

Maybe even something for you to write about

Pakistan needs some serious funds injected into Government and the economy

Long term we may possess resources beyond our needs and wishes BUT in the short term, is the following feasible

Sell off EVERY bit of Islamabad left to develop to Private developers in Pakistan,

individuals corporations and builders and overseas Pakistanis within a year or two.

ALL of it

How much money could this generate.

The land is lying there for 1/2 a century doing nothing. NO PLOT mafia there I think (Why !!)

The funds generated are from within Pakistan, and not required to be paid back.

How much are we tlking about, anyone know ?

I now it is bloody expensive but how much is left to sell and what can it be sold for ?

What good is for the average Pakistani, it goes to civil servants corrupt politicians, generals and the like

Finish that for once and for all

Looking at a Google image I see so much maybe 1/2 still to be developed !!

Last edited: