The first Mosque Designed by A Woman‏

Abdul Hakeem

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Last week the Sakirin Mosque opened in Istanbul, Turkey. Its the first mosque in the country to have an interior designed by a woman, Zeynep Fadillioglu. An interior designer known for jet setting ways, she nonetheless won a commission to redesign the religious structure in Istanbul. She even recruited women to help in the construction. Begun last year, the project was just recently completed. It's a fairly impressive building, subtly blending modern techniques and materials into what might be the world's most conservative design vernacular.

Admittedly, I have not been inside a lot of mosques and dont know much about how light and open space is supposed to work in them, traditionally. I just know that this has a crazy gorgeous interior, with a lovely soaring, open feel to it. Its got lots of gold in the color scheme, but it manages to be tasteful and elegant, instead of looking like Trump Mosque. The unfinished wood accents contrast nicely. And I love how the dripping chandelier catches and magnifies natural light. I want that thing in my house!
6e3219b5bf318831b72385ccf140ad6c.jpg

wanderer

Siasat.pk - Blogger
more images should have been posted ! How can One tell by just one image ?
besides she really didnt need to be in the image..

chandelier is nice, could have had more spirals to it.

awan4ever

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Sad how people got so fixated on what the designer was wearing instead of the actual DESIGN of the masjid.

Judgmental jerks.