Perfect Assessment of Imran Khan & Upcoming Elections: Amir Mateen

Sher_ka_Shakari

Senator (1k+ posts)
Amir Mateen

The biggest mystery about Imran Khan remains his ideology. You will be as confused as anybody else if you try to explore the question in classical ideological terms.

For all we know, Imran has cooked this broth of moderate rightists and religious extremist with a little garnishing of liberalism. And then topped by a pinch of ultra-liberal salt sprinkled by, lets say, Jemima who remains his biggest supporter despite their divorce. How cute.

The PTI had shades of all this in its Lahore rallysomething of everything. Imran Khans speech was noticeably laced with religious references that should have appealed to the religious right. But his support for a dialogue with Taliban, ironically now adopted by his political detractors also, made him equally attractive to religious extremists.

He also used Shia references, touched a chord or two with the Saraikis, Sindhis and the Baloch. For the liberals, the whole ambiance was mouth-watering. It looked more as a picnic than a rally: live music being played by top stars; women on stage dancing; young girls in jean as well as head-scarves waving to the beats and boys, well, were just being boys. From elite women flaunting designer clothing to middle class families to ordinary labourersthe rally represented a potpourri of classes, ages, sects, areas and gender.

So how will you define this mishmash? But then what do you expect from a cricketer-turned-politician. Perhaps it is wrong to interpret his all-rounder approach in classical ideological terms. It makes perfect political sense. Imran Khan is largely eyeing for the traditional rightist vote. Call it what you may - Muslim Leagui, centre-of-the-right, Jamaati or Taliban - he is coming after Nawaz Sharifs votebank. For he knows that his main fight is with Nawaz Sharif and in Punjab.

This was the reason that Imran Khan accepted Jamaat-i-Islamis offer of electoral understanding with open arms. Jamaat sees Imran Khan as Turkeys Tayyip Erdogan, a tie-wearing moderate but a rightist nevertheless. Remember Erdogan was the prodigy of Erbakan, a Jamaat favourite who was barred from politics because of his extreme religious views.

Jamaats shalwar-qameez wearing, bearded cadres need an icon as Imran Khan, somebody with whom the masses could identify. Jamaat has pockets of organised cadres in every Punjab constituency but they are not enough to win even a single seat without a mainstream coalition - read PML (N). But they have had enough of Nawaz Sharif. Imran Khan is also in a similar situation. He has got pockets of votes but they are not big enough. So far, that is. This makes the PTI-JI electoral understanding a perfect combination, particularly in Khyber Pashtunkhwa where this electoral coalition will impact at least 15 National Assembly and 30 provincial seats.

The PTI hopes that it might also steal a sizeable chunk of left votes because of its cosmetic liberalism. There is also an underlying assumption that the demoralised PPP voter in Punjab will not vote for Nawaz at any cost - such being the decade long rivalry called dharabandi - and the PTI might reap that as a windfall. And this is quite possible, such being the PPP disenchantment with Asif Zardari and Co.

The PML-N feels secure in the fact that they have gathered the biggest stable of electables in Punjab - the political morality that Nawaz Sharif liked to propound in earlier days be damned. They have reasons to be confident based on old-style mathematics. The PTI might give them competition in urban seats, which are just about 30 out of the total 107 seats in the Central Punjab. Even if one takes out 20 more seats that are partially urban, and also concede a few seats to PTI in Rawalpindi and Sargadha Divisions, this still leaves at least 50 National Assembly seats in rural Lahore, Gujranwala and Faisalabad Divisions that have not been touched by the PTI. The PML -Q stands vanquished in this biradri-infested land of traditional turncoats and the PPP candidates are in deep trouble. And Imran Khan hardly has any notable candidate.

This is where the actual electoral Panipat war will be fought.

Nawaz Sharif may have his reasons to be secure but things might change if PTI manages to sway the popular mood. Imran Khan remains the wild card in this election. His exact strength remains difficult to assess because he boycotted the last election and the PTI was hardly a party in 2002. So this leaves little statistical data to assess the electoral situation.

The existence of so many imponderables makes it even more complicated. For instance, 35 million voters have been wiped off the electoral rolls and a new 40 million largely young new voters have been added. Here we are talking about almost 50 percent of the votes. We have no data to suggest which way they will float. A dozen nationalist and religious parties did not participate last time and their re-entry will definitely impact the equation. The last elections were reasonably fair but still the government machinery was used by the Musharraf government. The conditions are totally different this time around. A relatively independent caretaker governments exist. The Election Commission is powerful as never before and the judiciary remains increasingly vigilant. There will be a camera overseeing every polling station and the television channels will compete with each other in providing information and debate -the kind that the public may have never experienced before.

So it is under these circumstances that Imran Khan makes his entry. About his ideology - who cares?

Last edited:

khanaman

Senator (1k+ posts)
You just have to read IKs book to understand his religious ideology. I feel it is in perfect sync with the ideology of the masses in Pakistan. Religious but not extremist. He also advocates tolerance in society and wants to engage people from all religious ideologies. What most old school analysts fail to understand is that it is no longer left vs. right in Pakistan, it is right vs. wrong. Anyway, a good assessment of the situation. the next two months will be very interesting indeed.

mrk123

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
You just have to read IKs book to understand his religious ideology. I feel it is in perfect sync with the ideology of the masses in Pakistan. Religious but not extremist. He also advocates tolerance in society and wants to engage people from all religious ideologies. What most old school analysts fail to understand is that it is no longer left vs. right in Pakistan, it is right vs. wrong. Anyway, a good assessment of the situation. the next two months will be very interesting indeed.

Very good observation indeed! I liked the right vs wrong instead of right vs. left comment.

The problem is that the analysts are still thinking in terms of left vs. right politics in Pakistan which in my opinion died long time ago. I don't know why these analysts still talk about it when the boundaries between the two ideological poles have all but disappeared. People move from left to right wing parties and vice versa as if they are changing their underwear - i.e. without any thought. In this environment to talk about ideologies seems ludicrous. Still the analysts like to present this situation in black and white wherein-fact there are shades of gray all around in Pakistan. On the lines of your comment we don't need leftist or rightist leader rather we need a pragmatist and a realist leader.

GreenMaple

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
A very insightful article indeed. By not participating in the by-elections, PTI has kept secret the element of 'surprize', which by the way is a lethal weapon in a military conflict. That's why all analysts are perplexed about the real strength of PTI, and which is keeping its political foes, specifically PMLN in a state of anxiety and unknown fear.
PTI is in a fortunate position that it is attracting people from all walks of life. Further, no one has a real grasp on the ground reality in the rural areas. I sense that wherever there is TV/cable coverage, the PTI message is reaching very subtly and discretely. People may not show it or talk about it, but deep inside they also believe that current system is not working for them, and that some sort of change is needed. PTI/IK are now perceived as an element of change both in urban and rural areas. My guess is that 60-65% of new young voters and a similar percentage of women voters will vote for PTI. This will most certainly propel PTI in a winning position.

Niazi Hawk

Minister (2k+ posts)
IF KAPTAAN SOMEHOW MANAGES TO CONVINCE QADRI TO VOTE HIS FOLLOWERS FOR PTI,THAT WOULD BE A MAJOR BREAK THROUGH,OVERSEAS CAN ALSO CHANGE THE GAME,ROLE OF SOCIAL MEDIA CANT BE NEGLECTED,BY GIVING STATEMENT AGAINST LEJ IK HAS WON SUPPORT OF SHIAS IN URBAN AREAS,AND I HAVE LEARNT IT FROM MY SHIA FRIENDS, MAJORITY OF YOUTH AND WOMEN WILL VOTE FOR PTI,IF PTI HAS BEEN ABLE TO FIND GUD CANDIDATES IN RURAL AREAS OF PUNJAB AND SINDH,THEN KAPTAAN SIX WILL BE OUT OF PARK(clap)

BIRDEYE

Voter (50+ posts)
perfectly described.

Nice2MU

President (40k+ posts)

مجھے آج تک اس بات کی سمجھ نہیں آئی کہ ھمارے یہ میڈیا والے کیوں عام وؤٹرز کو داٰئیں اور بائیں بازوں میں تقسیم کرتے ھیں۔ میرا نہیں خیال کہ وؤٹروں کو دائیں یا بائیں کے معنی بھی معلوم ھیں۔ ھاں بہت تعلیم یافتہ اور سمجھ دار وؤٹر کو تو اسکا معلوم ھو لیکن عام وؤٹرز کو صرف اپنی پیٹ پوجا اور تھانہ کچہری کی پڑی رھتی ھے اور وہ اُسی بندے کو وؤٹ دیتا ھے جو ان چیزوں میں وؤٹرز کی مدد کرسکتا ھے۔

میرے خیال میں یہ دانشور پارٹی لیڈران کو دیکھتے ھیں کہ وہ لبرلز ھیں یا مذھبی رجحان رکھنے والے۔ وؤٹرز کو اس چیزوں کا ککھ نہیں پتا۔ ھاں مذھبی پارٹیوں کے وؤٹرز زیادہ تر مذھبی لوگ ھو سکتے ھیں۔ آپ سندھ کے ان پڑھ دیہاتی سے پوچھے کہ وہ وؤٹ پی پی پی کیوں دیتا ھے۔ وہ کہے گا کہ بس وؤٹ صرف بھٹو کو دینا ھے اسکی معلوم بھی نہیں پی پی پی کے لیڈران کیا ذھن رکھتے ھیں۔

پاکستان میں یہ رجحانات شائد آج سے 40-30 سال پہلے تو پائے جاتے ھو لیکن آجکل ایسا کچھ بھی نہیں۔ ھر ایک کو اپنی مستقبل کی پڑی ھوتی ھے۔
میں ایسے کئ لوگوں کو جانتا ھوں جو 5 وقت کے نمازی، روزہ دار، زکوۃ دینے والے اور جج کرنے والے ھوتے ھیں لیکن وؤٹ اے این پی یا پی پی پی جیسی لبرل پارٹی کو دیتےتھے۔

Last edited:

Zoaib

Minister (2k+ posts)
The youth vote is crucial indeed - and could swing the results if motivated enough by PTI. After the Lahore Jalsa, next test is the announcement of candidates - I believe PTI is also planning to run ads with their candidates to show to the people how they represent CHANGE. Let's see how this affects the public mood and whether most Pakistanis really want change or not.

Mir Jaffer

Senator (1k+ posts)

مجھے آج تک اس بات کی سمجھ نہیں آئی کہ ھمارے یہ میڈیا والے کیوں عام وؤٹرز کو داٰئیں اور بائیں بازوں میں تقسیم کرتے ھیں۔ میرا نہیں خیال کہ وؤٹروں کو دائیں یا بائیں کے معنی بھی معلوم ھیں۔ ھاں بہت تعلیم یافتہ اور سمجھ دار وؤٹر کو تو اسکا معلوم ھو لیکن عام وؤٹرز کو صرف اپنی پیٹ پوجا اور تھانہ کچہری کی پڑی ھوتی رھتی ھے اور وہ اُسی بندے کو وؤٹ دیتا ھے جو ان چیزوں میں وؤٹرز کی مدد کرسکتا ھے۔

میرے خیال میں یہ دانشور پارٹی لیڈران کو دیکھتے ھیں کہ وہ لبرلز ھیں یا مذھبی رجحان رکھنے والے۔ وؤٹرز کو اس چیزوں کا ککھ نہیں پتا۔ ھاں مذھبی پارٹیوں کے وؤٹرز زیادہ تر مذھبی لوگ ھو سکتے ھیں۔ آپ سندھ کے ان پڑھ دیہاتی سے پوچھے کہ وہ وؤٹ پی پی پی کیوں دیتا ھے۔ وہ کہے گا کہ بس وؤٹ صرف بھٹو کو دینا ھے اسکی معلوم بھی نہیں پی پی پی کے لیڈران کیا ذھن رکھتے ھیں۔

پاکستان میں یہ رجحانات شائد آج سے 40-30 سال پہلے تو پائے جاتے ھو لیکن آجکل ایسا کچھ بھی نہیں۔ ھر ایک کو اپنی مستقبل کی پڑی ھوتی ھے۔
میں ایسے کہی لوگوں کو جانتا ھوں جو 5 وقت کے نمازی، روزہ دار، زکوۃ دینے والے اور جج کرنے والے ھوتے ھیں لیکن وؤٹ اے این پی یا پی پی پی جیسی لبرل پارٹی کو دیتےتھے۔

I am surprised by your last paragraph. So you wanted to say that people who pray 5 times should not vote for ANP or PPP.I am surprised by your political wisdom. I know many people who donot pray 5 times but they vote for PMLN. So what doe sit mean?? ANy guess??

Nice2MU

President (40k+ posts)
I am surprised by your last paragraph. So you wanted to say that people who pray 5 times should not vote for ANP or PPP.I am surprised by your political wisdom. I know many people who donot pray 5 times but they vote for PMLN. So what doe sit mean?? ANy guess??

I think you didn't get my message. That's what I say that common people don't know the meaning of Right Wing or Left wing but the journalists and writers repeatedly say that the voters of PPP, ANP and MQM are leftists whereas the voters of Religious parties, PMLN, PTI etc. are rightests. This might be true for Religious parties and their voters, but I don't think it is true for the rest of voters. They even don't know which party is Left wing and right wing.

I will suggest you to read my entire post instead of the last few lines.

If you still don't understand then I must say that you don't know the meaning of the terms Rightest and Leftists.

Mir Jaffer

Senator (1k+ posts)
I think you didn't get my message. That's what I say that common people don't know the meaning of Right Wing or Left wing but the journalists and writers repeatedly say that the voters of PPP, ANP and MQM are leftists whereas the voters of Religious parties, PMLN, PTI etc. are rightests. This might be true for Religious parties and their voters, but I don't think it is true for the rest of voters. They even don't know which party is Left wing and right wing.

I will suggest you to read my entire post instead of the last few lines.

If you still don't understand then I must say that you don't know the meaning of the terms Rightest and Leftists.
My apology, really i donot know what does it mean to be "rightes" or"leftest".

mrk123

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
And a nationalist as well...

Oh yes, that goes without saying. A nationalist or a patriot and honest and sincere and selfless and self-respecting and confident and empathetic - the list goes on :)

We have been knocked down by the military dictators, corrupt politicians, opportunist bureaucrats unscrupulous religious leaders, greedy feudal lords and businessmen. All we need now is for someone to sprinkle water on our faces, slap it around a few times and help us stand back up on our feet. Just get us back to our senses.

shaheer

Minister (2k+ posts)
hamary haan seedha seedha hisab rakha gia ha,jo clean shave hyn woh LIBERAL aur jo darhi waly hyn woh MAZHABI.har kisi k HARDWARE se he nateeja nhe nikalna chaye,kisi ka SOFTWARE bhi dekho k darhi wala ander se kasa ha,uski soch,ilam,amal,khana kamana kaisa ha,yahi hisab clean shave walon ko bhi parkho,phir apko kuch DARMIANI RAH waly bhi milein gay.amal,husn-e-ikhlaq,halal ki justajo,dosron ki jan,mal,izzat ko apny liye haram samjhna yahi sab to islam sikhata ha.agr 5waqt namaz parh k ap dosron ki jan,mal,izzat se khilwar karo gay to kon se mazhabi huay aap.

ح

حکایت جنوں

Very good observation indeed! I liked the right vs wrong instead of right vs. left comment.

The problem is that the analysts are still thinking in terms of left vs. right politics in Pakistan which in my opinion died long time ago. I don't know why these analysts still talk about it when the boundaries between the two ideological poles have all but disappeared. People move from left to right wing parties and vice versa as if they are changing their underwear - i.e. without any thought. In this environment to talk about ideologies seems ludicrous. Still the analysts like to present this situation in black and white wherein-fact there are shades of gray all around in Pakistan. On the lines of your comment we don't need leftist or rightist leader rather we need a pragmatist and a realist leader.
Just a little comment. The right vs left politics has almost been disappeared not just from Pakistan but from the world after the triumph of capitalism in late 80's. This means (for the time being) the age of revolutions has passed. The political change nowadayz is not revolutionary but of reforms like in Turkey, Egypt and Malaysia. The recent example of Syria is the most interesting case in this scenario where an armed struggle is focused to change not the economic structure but just a regime. This again shows that even the "revolutionary armed struggles" end up in bringing partial changes. There is no problem in Imran Khan ideology. Imran Khan is a pure capitalist mindset and envisions a partial change i.e. to replace corrupt parts of elites with the reformist capitalist part of the same elite. Our journalists don't study normally. They normally vomit in newspapers which is outdated

Last edited by a moderator: