Muslims snub Imam, join Anna

desicad

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Muslims snub Imam, join Anna, Womem's Law Board Slams Imam

295Asif.jpg
Muslims snub Imam, join Anna

Former RJD MLA Asif Mohammad Khan
New Delhi: It seems the message from the top Muslim cleric hasn't spread well among the community. A day after Syed Ahmed Bukhari, Imam of Delhi's Jama Masjid, pointed out that slogans such as 'Vande Mataram' and 'Bharat Mata ki Jai', staples of Anna's campaign, did not make Muslims any comfortable, more and more people from the community are flocking to the Ramlila Maidan.

Resignation
The 'anti'-effect of Bukhari's message was such that a Muslim MLA from Okhla resigned from his party and joined the crowd at Ramlila Maidan. Former RJD MLA Asif Mohammad Khan said, "There are two ways to go. One is to support the movement and another is to toe the party line. I chose the first one, sensing the people's mood."

The leader said he was miffed over party leader Lalu Prasad's stand on the issue and he himself did not want to go against people's wishes. "I am people's elected representative and will always be with them," he said.

On Bukhari asking Muslims not to join Anna's protest, Khan requested clerics not to give such statements. "I would request him not to divide people on religious lines. Anna's voice is also the voice of common Muslim. I request him to respect it."

Disgruntled Bukhari
Contending that communalism was a bigger a threat to India than corruption, Bukhari asked Anna why he and his campaign managers did not do more to involve Muslims in their anti-graft movement.

"The Gandhian needed to learn more from the Mahatma on how to spin all sections of the society together in a mass movement. I very much believe that corruption needs to be weeded out of the country. It is equally important to tackle communalism by addressing the problems of Muslims," said Bukhari.

Complaining there was no effort on part of the campaign leaders to involve the community into their fold, the cleric said, "Why not raise more inclusive slogans like Hindustan Zindabad or Jai Hind."

Feeding frenzy
Meanwhile, a large number of fasting Muslim volunteers were seen feeding hungry protesters at the venue. Iqbal (23), a volunteer in one of the kitchens, was seen distributing food to supporters on Sunday. "This is our struggle for freedom. I have kept my roza, but that does not deter me from feeding all these people."

Maqsood Ull Hasan Qasmi, president of the Imam Council of India, who was present at Ramlila Maidan, asked fellow Muslims to come out in support of Anna. "We all are equal sufferers in this. This is our second freedom struggle," he said while addressing the gathering.

Read more at: http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/muslims-snub-imam-join-anna-128346?pfrom=home-India&cp

Last edited:

only_truths

Minister (2k+ posts)
Mr. Bukhari is known to be a Congress support. Both Congress (after Lal Bahadur Shastri) and Imam Bukhari's thrive on divide and rule, a program of British India. That is why Anna Hazare calls today's protest as second independence struggle from these people. The common man in India irrespective of religion support this revolution on corruption.

desicad

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Muslim Women Personal Law Board backs Anna, slams Imam Bukhari

A day after Imam of Delhi’s Jama Masjid Syed Ahmed Bukhari came down heavily on Anna Hazare’s campaign for the use of slogans like ‘Vande Mataram’ and ‘Bharat mata ki Jai’, All India Muslim Women Personal Law Board (AIMWPLB) president Shaista Amber on Tuesday criticised him and said that nobody forced Muslims to raise these slogans in the anti-corruption movement.
Shaista Amber said people of all communities had participated in the freedom struggle and then slogans were raised without any hesitation.

On Tuesday, she staged a dharna with 35 other Muslim women at Jhulelal Park where eight persons are sitting on an indefinite hunger strike since August 15. They also offered special prayers for the well-being of Anna Hazare and the success of his movement.
Originally, 15 persons had started an indefinite hunger strike at Jhulelal Park since August 16. But seven of them ended their fast on Tuesday on doctors’ advice. Shaista Amber said, “In the holy Quran, Muslims have been asked to protest atrocity and corruption. Therefore, every Muslim should support Anna Hazare’s anti-graft campaign.’’

She also said that Anna Hazare had not stopped any community from joining his campaign and so Muslims should openly support his movement.Activists of India Against Corruption (IAC) have planned a roza iftar at Jhulelal park on Wednesday.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/m...-board-backs-anna-slams-imam-bukhari/836261/1