Inspirational Stories

MileStone

MPA (400+ posts)
Repentance of Malik ibn Dinar

Shaykh Malik ibn Dinar (may Allah have mercy on him) was one of the renowned pious men of his time. It is said that in his early life, he was not a pious man and when someone asked him how he came to repent of his sins and abandon his evil ways, he related the following story about himself:
I was a policeman in my youth, and was fond of wine and would drink like a fish. I drank day and night and led a care-free life. I bought a beautiful slave girl whom I loved most dearly. I had a daughter from her, a lovely child, and I was very fond of her and she was also very fond of me. When this baby daughter began to walk and talk, I loved her all the more and she remained with me all the time.
The innocent child had a strange habit. Whenever she saw a glass of wine in my hands, she would snatch it away and spill it on my clothes. Being fond of her, I did not scold her. As fate would have it, my innocent child died when she was two years old and I was stunned with shock and heart-sore with bitter grief.
One night I think it was the 15th of Shabaan, I was dead drunk and went to sleep without performing my Esha Salaah. I had the most horrible and terrible dream, in which I saw that it was the Day of Resurrection with men coming out of graves, and I was one of those who were being driven to the place of assembly. I heard the noise of something following me and looking back I saw a huge snake chasing me, close behind. Ah! It was a most horrible sight, the snake had blue cat-like eyes, its mouth was wide open and it was rushing towards me most furiously. I ran faster in terror, desperate for my life, the horrible snake still running after me and drawing closer. I saw an old man, dressed in elegant clothes, with rich perfumes wafting all around his person. I greeted him saying, ‘Asalamu alaykum’ and he returned my greeting. I said, ‘For the Sake of Allah, help me in my misery.’ He said, ‘I am too weak to help you against such a mighty foe; it is beyond my powers. But you must go on running; perhaps you may find some help to save you from it.’
Running wildly, I saw a cliff in front of me and climbed it, but on reaching its top, I saw beyond it the raging fire of Jahannam, with its most horrifying spectacles. I was so terrified by the snake that I ran on till I was afraid I would fall into Jahannam. Meanwhile, I heard a voice calling aloud ‘Get back, for you are not one of them (people of Jahannam).’ I came away and began to run in the opposite direction. The snake also turned around and came after me. I saw again, the white robed old man and said to him, ‘Old man, can’t you save me from this python, I asked you before, but you did not help me.’ The old man began to cry and said, ‘I am too weak to help you against such a mighty snake, but I can tell you that there is a hill nearby where they keep the sacred trusts of the Muslims. If you go up that hill you might find something of yours, kept in trust, which might save you from the snake.’
I rushed towards the hill, which was round in shape, with a large number of open curtained casements. The casements had golden shutters studded with rich rubies and most precious jewels, on each shutter hung a curtain of the rarest of silk. When I was going to climb the hill, an angel called out, ‘Open the windows and raise the curtains and come out of your closets! Here is an unfortunate man in misery, may be you have with you some trust of his that might help him in his distress.’ The windows opened at once, the curtains went up and there issued forth from the casements a host of innocent children with faces bright as the full moon. By this time I was utterly despondent, for the snake had drawn very close to me. Now the children called their friends, ‘Come out, quickly, all of you, for the snake has drawn very close to him.’ Hearing this more children came out in crowds and among them; I saw my own dear daughter who had died some time ago. She began to weep, exclaiming, ‘By Allah, he is my own dear father!’ She jumped on a swinging cradle, which seemed to be made from heavenly light and darted to me. I took her to my bosom; she lifted her left hand towards me and with her right hand motioned the snake away. The snake went away immediately. Then she gave me a seat and sat in my lap and began to stroke my beard with her right hand saying, ‘My dear father:

Has not the time come for the Believers that their hearts should submit in all humility to the remembrance of Allah and to the truth which is revealed...
[Surah Al-Hadeed: Ayah 16]
I was moved to tears and asked her, ‘My daughter, do all of you know the meaning o the Qur’an?’ She replied, ‘We understand the Qur’an even better than you.’ I asked her, ‘My dear child, what was this snake?’ She said, ‘It was your own evil deed which had made it so strong, it was about to push you into Jahannam.’ I asked ‘And who was that white robed old man?’ She replied, ‘Those were your good deeds and you had made them so weak with your scanty good deeds that he could not help you with the snake.’ I asked, ‘What are all of you doing on this hill?’ She replied, ‘We are the children of the Muslims who died in infancy. We shall live here till the day of resurrection, waiting to be reunited with you when you come to us at last and we shall intercede for you with your Lord.’
Malik then woke up screaming, crying out, “O my Lord! Right now! [I repent] right now my Lord! Yes, it is due.” So he got up, made wudu, and headed out to pray Fajr in the Masjid, seeking to repent and return to Allah. Upon entering the Masjid, he found the imam reciting the very same verse recited by his daughter in the dream.
Indeed, Allah is well aware of those who wish to turn back to Him, and out of His boundless mercy, He gives them continuous opportunities to seek His forgiveness and draw close to Him.
After his repentance, Malik ibn Dinar was known to stand in prayer, weeping to Allah throughout the night, saying,

إلهي أنت وحدك الذي يعلم ساكن الجنة من ساكن
النار، فأي الرجلين أنا اللهم اجعلني من
سكان الجنة ولا تجعلني من سكان النار

“O Allah, you are the Only One Who knows the inhabitants of Paradise and the inhabitants of the Hellfire, so whichever of the two men I am, O Allah, make me of the inhabitants of Paradise, and do not make me of the inhabitants of the Hellfire.”
Malik ibn Dinar changed from a person known for his oppression, alcoholism, and great negligence in his relationship with Allah, to a leading pious scholar with the likes and in the times of big names like Hasan al Basri (may Allah be pleased with them all).He changed from someone the people used to hate, to someone the people to this day continue to love him and ask Almighty Allah to have mercy upon him. Once an individual whose actions could have made him merit Hellfire, Ibn Dinar turned into a person who, InshaAllah, will inhabit Paradise eternally.

Last edited:

angryoldman

Minister (2k+ posts)
Re: Repentance of Malik ibn Dinar - Please be Patient and trust Allah

:jazak::jazak:
thx for sharing such a nice story.

Wadaich

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Re: Repentance of Malik ibn Dinar - Please be Patient and trust Allah

Jazak'Allah Khair.

MileStone

MPA (400+ posts)
A glimpse of his Aakhirah
4377478283_100b3b6f1d.jpg

There were only 15 minutes left before Salat-ul Isha. He quickly made Wudhu and performed Salat-ul Maghrib.
While making Tasbih, he again remembered his grandmother and was embarrassed by how he had prayed. His grandmother prayed with such tranquility and peace. He began making Dua and went down to make Sajdah and stayed like that for a while.
He had been at work all day and was tired, so tired. He awoke abruptly to the sound of noise and shouting.
He was sweating profusely.
He looked around.
It was very crowded.
Every direction he looked in was filled with people.
Some stood frozen looking around, some were running left and right and some were on their knees with their heads in their hands just waiting.
Pure fear and apprehension filled him as he realized where he was.
His heart was about to burst.
It was the Day of Judgment.
When he was alive, he had heard many things about the questioning on the
Day of Judgment, but that seemed so long ago..
Could this be something his mind made up?
No, the wait and the fear were so great that he could not have imagined this.
The interrogation was still going on.
He began moving frantically from people to people to ask if his name had been called.
No one could answer him.
All of a sudden his name was called and the crowd split into two and made a passageway for him.
Two angels grabbed his arms and led him forward.
He walked with unknowing eyes through the crowd.
The angels brought him to the centre and left him there.
His head was bent down and his whole life was passing in front of his eyes like a movie.
He opened his eyes but saw only another world.
The people were all helping others.
He saw his father running from one lecture to the other, spending his wealth in the way of Islam.
His mother invited guests to their house and one table was being set while the other was being cleared.
He pleaded his case,
'I too was always on this path..
I helped others.
I spread the word of Allah.
I performed my Salah.
I fasted in the month of Ramadhan.
Whatever Allah ordered us to do, I did.
Whatever he ordered us not to do, I did not.'
He began to cry and think about how much he loved Allah.
He knew that whatever he had done in life would be less than what Allah deserved and his only protector was Allah He was sweating like never before and was shaking all over.
His eyes were fixed on the scale, waiting for the final decision.
At last, the decision was made.
The two angels with sheets of paper in their hands, turned to the crowd.
His legs felt like they were going to collapse.
He closed his eyes as they began
To read the names of those people who were to enter Jahannam.
His name was read first.
He fell on his knees and yelled that this couldn't be,
'How could I go to Jahannam?
I served others all my life,
I spread the word of Allah to others'.
His eyes had become blurry and he was shaking with sweat.
The two angels took him by the arms.
As his feet dragged, they went through the crowd and advanced toward the blazing flames of Jahannam.
He was yelling and wondered if there was any person who was going to help him.
He was yelling of all the good deeds he had done, how he had helped his father, his fasts, prayers, the Noble Qur'an that he read, he was asking if none of them would help him.
The Jahannam angels continued to drag him.
They had gotten closer to the Hellfire.

hell-lake-of-fire.jpg

He looked back and these were his last pleas.
Had not Rasulullah
icon--1.gif
said,

'How clean would a person be who bathes in a river five times a day, so too does the Salah performed five times cleanse someone of their sins'?
He began yelling,
'My prayers? My prayers? My prayers.?'
The two angels did not stop, and they came to the edge of the abyss of Jahannam.
The flames of the fire were burning his face.
He looked back one last time, but his eyes were dry of hope and he had nothing left in him.
One of the angels pushed him in.
He found himself in the air and falling towards the flames.
He had just fallen five or six feet when a hand grabbed him by the arm and pulled him back.
He lifted his head and saw an old man with a long white beard.
He wiped some dust off himself and asked him,
'Who are you?'
The old man replied,
'I am your prayers'.
'Why are you so late! I was almost in the Fire! You rescued me at the last minute before I fell in'.
The old man smiled and shook his head,
'You always performed me at the last minute, did you forget?'
At that instant, he blinked and lifted his head from Sajdah.
He was in a sweat.
He listened to the voices coming from outside.
He heard the Adhan for Salat-ul Isha. He got up quickly and went to perform Wudhu.

MileStone

MPA (400+ posts)
About Struggling...

About Struggling...

A man found a cocoon of a butterfly. One day a small opening appeared. He sat and watched the butterfly for several hours as it struggled to force its
body through that little hole. Then it seemed to stop making any progress. It appeared as if it had gotten as far as it could, and it could go no further.

So the man decided to help the butterfly. He took a pair of scissors and snipped off the remaining bit of the cocoon.The butterfly then emerged easily. But it had a swollen body and small, shriveled wings. The man continued to watch the butterfly because he expected that, at any moment, the wings would enlarge and expand to be able to support the body, which would contract in time.
Neither happened! In fact, the butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings. It never was able to fly.

What the man, in his kindness and haste, did not understand was that the restricting cocoon and the struggle required for the butterfly to get through the tiny opening were Allah's way of forcing fluid from the body of the butterfly into its wings so that it would be ready for flight once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.

Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our lives. If Allah allowed us to go through our lives without any obstacles, it would cripple us. We would not be as strong as what we could have been. We could never "fly"!

I asked for Strength.........
And Allah gave me Difficulties to make me strong.

I asked for Wisdom.........
And Allah gave me Problems to solve.

I asked for Prosperity.........
And Allah gave me Brain and Brawn to work.

I asked for Courage.........
And Allah gave me Danger to overcome.

I asked for Love..........
And Allah gave me Troubled people to help.

I asked for Favours.........
And Allah gave me Opportunities.

I received nothing I wanted ........
I received everything I needed!

"fatabraka-LLahu aHsanu-l khliqn"

"So blessed be Allah, the best of creators!"
Sura The Believer (23) verse 14

Last edited:

MileStone

MPA (400+ posts)
The Triple Filter Test

The Triple Filter Test

During the golden Abbasid period, one of the scholars in Baghdad, the capital of Muslim caliphate at that time, was reputed to hold knowledge in high esteem.
One day an acquaintance met the great scholar and said, "Do you know what I just heard about your friend?"
"Hold on a minute," the scholar replied. "Before telling me anything I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test."
"Triple filter?"
"That's right," the scholar continued. "Before you talk to me about my friend it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you're going to say.
That's why I call it the triple filter test.
The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"
"No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it and.."
"All right," said the scholar. "So you don't really know if it's true or not.
Now let's try the second filter, the filter of goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my friend something good?"
"No, on the contrary..."
"So," the scholar continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him, but you're not certain it's true. You may still pass the test though, because there's one filter left: the filter of usefulness.
Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to be useful to me?"
"No, not really."
"Well," concluded the scholar, "if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?"

"O ye who believe! Let not some men among you laugh at others: It may be that the (latter) are better than the (former)" ... (to end of surah) Hujurat 49.12
"And spy not on each other behind their backs..." (to end of surah) Hujurat 49.13

Praise be to Allah that we are Muslims...

Jazak'Allah Khairan

MileStone

MPA (400+ posts)
Poor Frog

islam_frog.png

Once upon a time, there was a mouse, which, whilst passing a pond witnessed a frog emerge from the depth of the pond. Astonished by this unusual sight, the mouse began to converse with the frog and through this, a very warm and friendly conversation took place. A very close friendship grew between the two of them, until it developed into a love relationship. By mutual arrangement, they appointed a specific time at which they could meet each other in the mornings daily and converse with each other for a long time. At these special meetings they use to enlighten each other with their own opinions regarding certain topics or they use to entertain each other with exciting stories regarding their past. Their hearts opened up to each other and were joy filled at the sight of one another.
One day the mouse said to the frog You are swimming around in the water while I am left all alone on the dry earth. I suffer the pangs of sorrow over being parted from you. When lonely, I come to the edge of the water to call to you, but while you are in the water, even the voice of a lover cannot be heard. I cannot be at peace by meeting you for such a short time each day.
The mouse replied, O beloved frog: I cannot live a moment of my life peacefully without seeing your face. By day, the sight of you is my life: by night the thought of you is my tranquillity and sleep. It will be very courteous on your part that you will permit me the pleasure of meeting you time upon time at every opportunity possible.
The mouse carried on by saying My respected friend, I am a creature that can live on land alone, whereas you can live on land and in water. But how is it possible for you to know inside the water that I have the desire to meet you?
For quite a while they pondered upon this and consulted each other until finally, the mouse put an opinion forward. This opinion was that one end of a piece of string is to be tied to the foot of the frog and the other end is to be tied to the foot of the mouse. Thus, when the mouse has a desire to meet the frog he will just need to pull the string and the frog will respond by returning to the surface of the water.
The frog considered the mouse's suggestion to be a bad one and said in his heart, This evil one, wishes to tie me up and make me live like a prisoner.
Despite disliking the mouse's suggestion, the frog found an inclination within himself to accept to the request.
The two of them, by pulling the string were able to meet each other repeatedly each day until destruction struck them one morning. A vulture seeing it's pray i.e. the mouse, from high above soared down upon the mouse, it also unknowingly, lifted the frog out of the water where until now he was safe and comfortable. This was due to the fact that the string held the mouse and the frog together. Unfortunately, what fate awaited the mouse befell the frog as well. The vulture killed them both and devoured them. If the frog remained in the water and had not formed a friendship with the evil mouse, nothing would have happened to him and he would not have been the prey of the vulture.
Hadrat Rumi Rahmatullahe alayhi uses this story as an example to draw our attention to the harms and effects of having bad company. It is a very good story with a powerful moral lesson.
Hadrat Rumi Rahmatullahe alayhi says:
In this story we see the soul, the self and the shaytaan. The self represents the mouse, the soul represents the frog and the vulture represents the shaytaan.
The self, in order to satisfy its desires engages the soul in evil practises, endeavours to tie it with a string so that the soul indulges in these evil practises as well. When the soul reluctantly obeys the desires of the self and befriends the self, it allows the shaytaan to pull it whenever it wishes. In this way the soul is also humiliated because of the contact with the self. Hence, when shaytaan will go to hell, the self, who was in its beak, will also go to hell and so will the soul which was tied to the self.
In this day and age, we live in the midst of bad people and evil company. By befriending these evildoers, we will eventually be affected by their foul doings and will also indulge in these sins. By indulging in things that are wrong, we will only become more and more sinful and we will be dragged with the evildoers into Jahannam, which is the totally the opposite direction to where we should be heading.
Whereas if we are to befriend the pious, we will be affected by their good deeds and we will eventually get in to Jannat.
My dear respected readers, we have been given two choices only, but the big question is, which one will we choose? In this world we are not forced to do anything, we act upon our desires.
May Allah Ta'ala grant us the ability to choose what is right and may he the Almighty grant us protection from one's self and from shaytaan.
Ameen

MileStone

MPA (400+ posts)
A Clever King - A Short Story

A Clever King

I will share with you a story which shows the clever decision of a youth on how to live this life. This story is only an example.

There was a country long time ago where the people would change a king every year. The person who would become the king had to agree to a contract that he will be sent to an island after his one year of being a king. So, one king finished his term and it was time for him to go to the island and live there. The people dressed him up in expensive clothes and put him on an elephant and took him around the cities to say goodbye to all the people. This was the moment of sadness for all the kings who ruled for one year. After saying goodbye, the people took the king with a boat to the remote island and left him there. On their way back, they discovered a ship that had sunk just recently. They saw a young man who survived by holding on to a floating piece of wood. As they needed a new king, they picked up the young man and took him to their country. They requested him to be a king for a year. First he refused but later he agreed to be a king. People told him about all the rules and regulations and that how he will be sent to an island after one year.

After three days of being a king, he asked the ministers if they could show him the island where all the other kings were sent. They agreed and took him to the island. The island was covered with thick jungles and sound of vicious animals were heard coming out of them. The king went little bit inside to see how it was and discovered the dead bodies of all the past kings. He understood that as soon as they were left in the island, the animals came and killed them.

The king then went back to the country and requested the people to provide him with 100 strong workers. He was provided with 100 workers and he took them to the island and told them to remove all the deadly animals and to cut down all the trees. He would visit the island every month to see how the work is progressing.

In the first month, all the animals were removed and many trees were cut down. In the second month, the whole island was cleaned out. The king then told the workers to plant gardens in various parts of the island. He also took with himself useful animals like chickens, ducks, birds, goats, cows etc. In the third month, he ordered the workers to build big houses and docking stations for ships. Over the months, the island turned into a beautiful place. The young king would wear simple clothes and spend very little from his earnings. He sent all the earnings to the island for storage. Nine months have passed like this. The king called the people and told them that "I know that I have to go the island after one year, but I would like to go there right now." But the people didn't agree to this and said that he have to wait for another 3 months to complete the year.

3 months passed and now it was a full year. The people dressed up the young king and put him on an elephant to take him around the country to say goodbye to others. However, this king is unusually happy to leave the kingdom. People asked him, "All the other kings would cry at this moment and why are you laughing?" He replied, "Don't you know what the wise people say? They say that when you came to this world as a baby, you were crying and everyone was smiling. Live such a life that when you are dieing, you will be smiling and everyone around you will be crying. I have lived that life. While all the other kings were lost into the luxuries of the kingdom, I always thought about the future and planned for it. I turned the deadly island into a beautiful abode for me where I can stay peacefullly."

We should take a lesson from this story about how we should also live our life. The life of this world is to prepare for the life hereafter. In this life, we shouldn't get lost into the beautiful things of this world and forget about what is to come in the afterlife. Rather, even if we are kings, we should live a simple life like our beloved Prophet Muhammad (SAW) and save all our enjoyments for the hereafter. May Allah make it easy for us all.