Indian Muslims: A Tale of Wows and Woes

mohib

Senator (1k+ posts)
According to the 2001 Census, Indias Muslim population was over 138 million, next only to that of Pakistan and Indonesia. As the final figures from the Census 2011 havent been disclosed yet, the current Muslim population is estimated at 180 million, which is roughly 15% of Indias population of 1.2 billion.

On a positive light, the Indian Muslims can boast of three of the Nations former Presidents and three Vice Presidents, including the incumbent, from the community. The list of Muslim high achievers in the field of Music, Literature and Art including the cinema is not unimpressive either. Another field of considerable Muslim prominence is the sports. Some of the nations best players have been engendered from the religious minority community. Looking at these stars, one would bubble WOW! How prominent Muslims in India are!

Besides the ceremonial or celebrity status, Muslims occupy a prominent space in the electoral landscape, not as influential leaders, but as a vote bank, in reserve, for the secularist political parties. However, the feel good situation from these occasional prominences does not last long. Because, majority of Indias Muslims have long been suffering quite severely so - economically, politically as well as socially.

[HI]Since Indias independence in 1947, the community has been under-represented in politics and government jobs. The situation, far from improving, is deteriorating further with each passing decade.[/HI] More recently the Sachar Committee Report finds that, as of 2001, Muslims were lagging behind not only the Indian mainstream in nearly all spheres of progress but also the Scheduled Castes/Tribes (SC/STs), considered the most backward sections, in many aspects.

The Committee found that the literacy rate among Muslims (59%) was well below the national average (65%), owing mainly to the limited access to government schools. An inverse association between the proportion of the Muslim population and the availability of educational and other physical infrastructure in small villages supports this view.

[HI]In public employment, the picture seems even bleaker. Only 5% of the central government employees were Muslims. In the Police Services, their share was 3.3%. In Administrative services, it was 2.2%. Muslims made up only 4.5% in Indian Railways and even then 98.7% were placed at lower levels. Although their share in the Judiciary was 8% but Muslim Judges comprised only 2.7% of the total.[/HI]

This indicates that in the administrative and decision making positions, Muslims have an abysmal representation which further marginalizes them. In the private sector, the situation is even worse.

In terms of income and expenditure, Muslims shared the lowest strata. The Indian average Per-Capita-Expenditure (MPCE) for the year 2004-05 was roughly $16 with a high of $23 for General category followed by $14 for Muslims, which was slightly above the MPCE for the SCs/STs roughly $11.50. The land-ownership among the Muslims was the lowest of all population categories.

Incidence of poverty among Muslims in urban areas was the highest with 38.4 % living below the national poverty line, while their rural counterparts fared better with just 28% below the line. Overall, Muslims recorded the second highest deprivation with 31 % people below the poverty line.

Representation of Muslims in Indian politics, also, is disproportionally low. Abject poverty, low representation in politics, coupled with abysmal representation in the administrative, police, and legal system, as aforesaid, has rendered the Muslim community extremely vulnerable.

The rise of anti-Muslim communalism in India adds another woe to the increased Muslims vulnerability. The height of communalism is marked by the demolition of Babri-Masjid in 1992 and its aftermath in which over 2000 Muslims were killed in communal clashes. A decade later, the Gujarat massacre in 2002 - costing over a thousand Muslim lives and rendering tens of thousands houseless remains one of the worst communal incidences in the country.

[HI]These apart, there have been numerous incidences of communal violence in which the Muslim community has suffered. However, this does not end here. The glaring face of bigotry is that in many cases of communal violence, the Muslims have been targeted as perpetrators without any evidence.[/HI] Consequently, there has been widespread communal profiling of Muslim youths by the police.

A recent report What it means to be a Muslim in India Today finds that there is an intense sense of fear, growing insecurity, and universal feeling of helplessness amongst Muslims due to baseless allegation by the police - propagated by the media, and perpetuated by the inability of the legal system to provide a timely justice and inadequacy of the government measures to safeguard the interests of the Muslims.

[HI]Several Testimonies from victims of the communal profiling reveal that after any incidence of terror in the country, Muslim youths have been baselessly targeted to be involved with the act. [/HI]Many of them today live under the constant dread of being profiled as a terrorist, with the attendant fears of illegal and prolonged detention, denial of bail, torture, unfair and biased investigation and trial, and extra-judicial killings.

[HI]Recently, a WikiLeaks cable has revealed that Indian Muslims are largely unattracted to extremism. Despite strongest denunciations of Terrorism, Muslims have been repeatedly blamed for terrorist activities, which have later been proved as works of Hindu-extremists.[/HI]

Such a degenerate trend of profiling without substantial evidence is not just detrimental to one community; rather it poses a threat to the communal harmony of the whole country. Marginalization of Muslims is a grave challenge to the basic values of the Indian Constitution, including democracy, secularism, and the rule of law.

If this trend is not effectively checked, many apprehend, Muslims the largest religious minority in India, will descend to a second class citizenship in a democratic, secular, and pluralistic India which seemingly envisions equality for all. As tales of woes of Muslims surpass those of their wows, Indians must introspect as to whether we are moving in the right direction.

http://twocircles.net/2011jun05/indian_muslims_tale_wows_and_woes.html

IndiaRocks

Banned
Thank god these Muslims dint immigrate to Pakistan!! Im an Indian muslim, work for Microsoft and thank Allah everyday,Im an Indian,not a Pakistani. Indian Muslims are much better off than muslims in the failed state of Pakistan!! India Rocks!!

modern fakir

MPA (400+ posts)
Thank god these Muslims dint immigrate to Pakistan!! Im an Indian muslim, work for Microsoft and thank Allah everyday,Im an Indian,not a Pakistani. Indian Muslims are much better off than muslims in the failed state of Pakistan!! India Rocks!!

yeah right ..they have token indians like u everywhere ..one such is Farooq abdullah and the guy who is supposedly the CM of Kashmir !.. You are very right when you say that you are not Pakistani because doesn't and will never want people like you.

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said The one who stands against us is not one of us !. This Hadith is sufficient to decide on who stands with us !

Allah o Akbar !

Unicorn

Banned

My fellow Indian Muslim brother the day is not very far when we should reap the benefits of our hard work together based on equality among all people.

These guys keep wondering why even the victims of Gujarat massacre are not interested in Pakistan and find pleasure in their luck while they had nothing to show for it.

Last edited:

indian125

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
yeah right ..they have token indians like u everywhere ..one such is Farooq abdullah and the guy who is supposedly the CM of Kashmir !.. You are very right when you say that you are not Pakistani because doesn't and will never want people like you.

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said The one who stands against us is not one of us !. This Hadith is sufficient to decide on who stands with us !

Allah o Akbar !
let me clear you one thing that creation on Pakistan is big blunder from Muslim league. they are hypocrite people. they just not only divided our great country India but also Muslims in subcontinental. Allah showed world about Pakistanis hypocrisy in 1971 when they did brutality against Bengali. read maulana hussain madani and maulana azad what their views on creation of Pakistan . i am myself Indian Muslim and i am proudly say that we can give our life to protect our country. India zindabad.

Jack Sparrow

Minister (2k+ posts)
they are ten times better in india than failed state pakistan

Your only source of information is from biased ,narrow minded Hindu media.Think neutrally , How many Indian Muslims did PhD every year.I am living in Europe ,I never saw any Indian Muslim as PhD student not even Indian Sikh or Christian.I met hundreds of PhD students from India ,All of them are Hindu.

Condition of Indian Muslims are pathetic to the extend that they are no more Muslims.And here is the prove:

Take the example of Shahrukh Khan and Farah Khan(Director). Shahrukh khan married to a Hindu woman. and he keeps Idols in his home and also worship them.He is no more a Muslim.He reserved his place in hell for eternal life.

Now Farah Khan, she married to a Hindu man , and has three kids who are Hindu.She reserved hell fire for herself for eternal life.These stories are top level examples ,If we talk about a common Muslim in India ,situation is worst.

Imaan nahi tu Kuch nahi

Last edited:

Jack Sparrow

Minister (2k+ posts)
let me clear you one thing that creation on Pakistan is big blunder from Muslim league. they are hypocrite people. they just not only divided our great country India but also Muslims in subcontinental. Allah showed world about Pakistanis hypocrisy in 1971 when they did brutality against Bengali. read maulana hussain madani and maulana azad what their views on creation of Pakistan . i am myself Indian Muslim and i am proudly say that we can give our life to protect our country. India zindabad.

Pakistan is created for the special purpose by Allah(SWT).All the Shaitani powers(USA ,NATO,ISRAEL AND INDIA) are combined against Pakistan,and trying their best to dismantle Pakistan.This is itself the best prove that "Pakistan is created for the special purpose by Allah(SWT)".

And (the unbelievers) plotted and planned, and Allah too planned, and the best of planners is Allah. Surah l 'Imran (3:54)

Every thing is according to the script, nothing is wrong from the creation of Pakistan to the creation of Bangladesh.Just think 180 million muslims in Pakistan , 150 million muslims in Bangladesh, 150 million muslims in India.For rest of the script i leave on you to think .

Last edited:

desicad

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Your only source of information is from biased ,narrow minded Hindu media.Think neutrally , How many Indian Muslims did PhD every year.I am living in Europe ,I never saw any Indian Muslim as PhD student not even Indian Sikh or Christian.I met hundreds of PhD students from India ,All of them are Hindu.

Condition of Indian Muslims are pathetic to the extend that they are no more Muslims.And here is the prove:

Take the example of Shahrukh Khan and Farah Khan(Director). Shahrukh khan married to a Hindu woman. and he keeps Idols in his home and also worship them.He is no more a Muslim.He reserved his place in hell for eternal life.

Now Farah Khan, she married to a Hindu man , and has three kids who are Hindu.She reserved hell fire for herself for eternal life.These stories are top level examples ,If we talk about a common Muslim in India ,situation is worst.

Imaan nahi tu Kuch nahi
If a muslim man marries a non muslum no hell fire for him, but if a muslim woman marries a non muslim she will go to hell fire. Why this double standards?
Anyway there are many muslim women who have married non muslims and they are very happy in life.

Jack Sparrow

Minister (2k+ posts)
If a muslim man marries a non muslum no hell fire for him, but if a muslim woman marries a non muslim she will go to hell fire. Why this double standards?
Anyway there are many muslim women who have married non muslims and they are very happy in life.

There are no double standards for marriage laws in Islam.No muslim allowed to marry non muslim.Only condition is non muslim has to revert back to Islam before marrying to muslims.

Your last sentence 100% justified the creation of Pakistan.

Last edited:

IndiaRocks

Banned

Imaan nahi tu Kuch nahi

My bro is a Phd in Germany and works for Mercedes Benz.. ur views are formed by pathetic lies spread by ur Urdu media..there are tens of thousands of Indian Muslims working in Europe and US..maybe u never found an Indian Muslim phd. coz you do not know

Unicorn

Banned
Pakistan is created for the special purpose by Allah(SWT).All the Shaitani powers(USA ,NATO,ISRAEL AND INDIA) are combined against Pakistan,and trying their best to dismantle Pakistan.This is itself the best prove that "Pakistan is created for the special purpose by Allah(SWT)".

And (the unbelievers) plotted and planned, and Allah too planned, and the best of planners is Allah. Surah l 'Imran (3:54)

Every thing is according to the script, nothing is wrong from the creation of Pakistan to the creation of Bangladesh.Just think 180 million muslims in Pakistan , 150 million muslims in Bangladesh, 150 million muslims in India.For rest of the script i leave on you to think .

You have no stats as to how many Muslims have PHDs so lets go withe the lowest common denominator. The victims of Gujraat massacre are not interested in Pakistan this should tell you something about your country.

Pakistan today is exactly what it was made for.

desicad

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
There are no double standards for marriage laws in Islam.No muslim allowed to marry non muslim.Only condition is non muslim has to revert back to Islam before marrying to muslims.

Your last sentence 100% justified the creation of Pakistan.
So obviously there are many muslims who don't subscribe to your interpretation of the laws.

khanpanni

Minister (2k+ posts)
East India Company, Britishers overthrown the Mughals in India and how they might return back the power to the original indian Mughals or muslim rulers ?

Quaid-e-azam was the member of congress party and in one election all the muslims voted for congress and they won. But afterwards they showed

their real attention to suppressed the muslims in india by prohibiting their Islamic rituals (no nemaz break had been given during the cngress sittings).

Ultimately Mohd Ali Jannah quited the congress and joined Muslim League and muslim all over from India voted for the creation of Pakistan !
This was the right decision and many of our brothers and sisters sacrificed their lives in after revenge from hindus.

In 1965 indian president Mr. Shastari declared war to Pakistan announced ( we will open the war front with our choice) and attacked all over W. Pak
specially in the middle. Then in 1971 E. Pak chapter ? Who allowed indans to go in E. Pak disguised fight and at the end disarm Pak under which
UNO resolution ?

In 19 98 as india tested the nukes, suddenly Mr. Wajpai changed his tone towards Pak and now supporting full insurgency from Afghanistan to
destabilize Pak ?
We are thankful to Almighty Allah that we have a separate country where we dont see any naked gurros, hindu water and

and muslim water and the difference of cast as in hindu believe ? We have britishers left problems of waddaras and landlords and base setup ?

As soon as Pakistanis will get a real leadership this nation will shoot like nothing in progress and peace of the world, Inshallah !

modern fakir

MPA (400+ posts)

lol ...hahahaha ...See this is the problem with indians like you ..because Im not sure whether your are even a muslim or not cuz u certainly dont sound like one, but if you are then listen to this !. First thing is who certified Maulana Madani and Maulana Azad to be the leaders of 180 million pakistanis ??. Pakistan is not based on the ideology of such maulana's who have no concept and vision of Allah Subhana wa tallah and Love for the Prophet MUhammad (pbuh). How much muslims are loved in india is quite evident from places like DHARVI and incidents like gujarat, kashmir, hyderabad and Mumbai - where your known actors cant even buy a place to live ! :D :D :D

So this temple indoctrination that you recieved is baseless rubbish which carries no meaning !

Now, Pakistan was created on the Direct Orders of Our AKA (leader) Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and that ideology of ALLAMA IQBAL (ra) is what people opted for at that time. Your Molanas were LOOSERS THEN (because Pakistan is a reality today) and they will always be Loosers because their destiny has been exposed by ALLAH subhanawa tallah himself ...lol lol :D :D

I would like to end with a few lines from iqbal about the future of Pakistan - Ishq o feryaad lazim thi so woh hogai ab zara dil thaam ker feryaad ki tabeer dekh !

modern fakir

MPA (400+ posts)
You have no stats as to how many Muslims have PHDs so lets go withe the lowest common denominator. The victims of Gujraat massacre are not interested in Pakistan this should tell you something about your country.

Pakistan today is exactly what it was made for.

and who are you unicorn ?...are u the hindu spokeman for the gujrat muslim community ..lol lol lol hahahahahahaha :D :D

Yeah right buddy !...go get some Islamic Lessons first ..lol