Courageous Turkish leader dares to stand against Israel on International Forum

Knowledge Seeker

Senator (1k+ posts)
Turkish Prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan had taken very courageous and admirable step in the world economic forum by condemning the brutality of Israel and boycotting the forum despite of the fact that the diplomatic relations between Turkey and Israel were very close in history.

Nepali Pandit

MPA (400+ posts)
It is just his public relation campaign. Everybody knows easiest people to fool in the world Muslims. Turkey is the biggest muslim trading partner of israel, they have good diplomatic and commercial relationship. If he really cared for palistanians why doesn't he stop that.

hassam

MPA (400+ posts)
Everybody knows easiest people to fool in the world Muslims. QUOTE]

100% agreed. Muslims all over the world think that they are smart enough to live in the current world. They have self made execuses for not following the guidance provided by Allah and his Prophet (PBUH). We are now reaping what our elders have sown and we are taking it to a next level.

ConcernedPakistani

MPA (400+ posts)
The relations between Turkey and Israel were not established by Erdogan. There is a history behind it. It all goes back to Ottomon Empire and Foreign powers' role in breaking the empire, Arab revolt and emergence of Ataturk, distrust between Turkish and Arab people, the secularization of Turkey. Consult history and you will find the answer. Turkey is changing and the change will take time. Turkey has always been a true friend to Pakistan and always stood with Pakistan. Turkey alongwith China very actively supported Pakistan in the wars against Pakistan's enemy India.

kashnex

Councller (250+ posts)
Well .... this is somehow bad to not create relations with Israel. The logic behind this notion is that, if we don't have relations with this country we'll miss and even overlook so many things that we can keep ourselves abreast of while having ties with this country. What news we get is from Int'l media which are rather limited or sometimes just nothing (quantitatively) but if we have formal ties with them we will have more news. Ultimately, we will be in better position to formulate our foreign policy along.

Knowledge Seeker

Senator (1k+ posts)
The relations between Turkey and Israel were not established by Erdogan. There is a history behind it. It all goes back to Ottomon Empire and Foreign powers' role in breaking the empire, Arab revolt and emergence of Ataturk, distrust between Turkish and Arab people, the secularization of Turkey. Consult history and you will find the answer. Turkey is changing and the change will take time. Turkey has always been a true friend to Pakistan and always stood with Pakistan. Turkey alongwith China very actively supported Pakistan in the wars against Pakistan's enemy India.

Agreed. If we talk about vast majority of people in Turkey, They were never happy about the good relation of their government with Israel.On the other hand, They also have serious reservations about Arabs due to their bitter experience in history.

ConcernedPakistani

MPA (400+ posts)
What is Indian leadership's opinion of Israel's acts against Palestinian? Can Manmohan dare to say anything against Shimon Peres and Israel's policies on an international forum?

ConcernedPakistani

MPA (400+ posts)
Turkey and Pakistan have always been very close. Turks have been living in what is now Pakistan since the second wave of Islamic armies under Mahmood of Ghazni who himself was a Turk. Urdu language has much of turkish vocabulary in it. Even the word Urdu has turkish origins meaning 'army'. Many people in Pakistan have turkish origins. Turks are famous for their bravery and valour. The strongest bond between Turkey and Pakistan is ofcourse the bond of Islam. Turks have lived and served in the armies of Muslim rulers in Sub-continent and a significant population of Pakistan has Turkish roots.

Turkey is changing as i mentioned before and majority of Turkey's population has anti-Israel sentiments. The religious party in Turkey is in power and they are faced by some opposition from secular parties in Turkey and that is because of the reasons i mentioned in my previous post. Gradually Turkey will emerge as a major Muslim power and Pakistan-Turkish brotherhood will be strengthened.

ghias

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
A Brief Intro Of Tayyip Erdoğan :

After four months in prison, Erdoğan established the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) on August 14, 2001. From its first year, the AK Party became the largest publicly-supported political movement in Turkey. In 2002, the general elections resulted with the AK Party winning two-thirds of the seats in parliament, forming a single-party government after 19 years.
As prime minister, Erdoğan implemented numerous reforms within a period of time. After 45 years, the negotiations for Turkey's accession to the EU started during Erdoğan's tenure. A great deal was achieved in democratization, attaining transparency, and preventing corruption. Parallel to this, inflation, which had for decades adversely affected the country's economy, was taken under control and the Turkish Lira retrieved its former prestige through the elimination of six zeros. Interest rates for public borrowings were pulled down; per capita income grew significantly. The AK party won the elections of 2007 making it the first time in 52 years that a party in power has increased its votes for a second term.

Honorary doctorates
Honorary citizenship
  • Erdoğan received honorary citizenship of Seoul on February 2004.
  • Erdoğan received honorary citizenship of Tehran on February 2009

azrana

MPA (400+ posts)
very well done, very well done dear President, a hailrious JOB

my well wishes for you.

Muhammad Afzal

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
When we will have leaders like him in Pakistan. But looking at the state of affairs in Pakistan, i don't see any change in near future. A corupt and selffish, away from Sunnah, nation deserves leaders like Zardari, NAwaz Sharif, Altaf Hussain, ANP, JI, etc etc etc I don't say it, so don't start cursing me, it is written in the Quran. So better change your self first. Only than Allah will raise from us leaders Like Hazarat Umar Farooq (RA).

ConcernedPakistani

MPA (400+ posts)
When erdogan arrived in Turkey after leaving this conference, Turkish people received their beloved leader on the airport and his popularity further increased among the Turkish people.

ConcernedPakistani

MPA (400+ posts)
Erdogan: My anger over Gaza directed at Israeli government, not Jews

By Haaretz Service and News Agencies Published 10:28 30.01.09 Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan received a hero's welcome upon his return to Istanbul on Friday, a day after storming off the stage at the World Economic Forum in Davos, red-faced from verbally sparring with President Shimon Peres over the recent fighting in Gaza.

Upon his return to Istanbul, Erdogan told a news conference that his anger over the operation in Gaza and Peres' remarks was directed not at Jews, but at the Israeli administration.
"Our people would have expected the same reaction from any Turkish prime minister," he told a news conference at Ataturk airport on Friday morning after speaking to a cheering crowd.
"This was a matter of the esteem and prestige of my country. Hence, my reaction had to be clear. I could not have allowed anyone to poison the prestige and in particular the honor of my country," he said."Our reproaches are not against the Israeli people or Jews. Our reproach is totally against the Israeli administration," Erdogan said.
Thousands of people gathered at the Ataturk airport on Friday morning to greet Erdogan, waving Turkish and Palestinian flags and chanting his name. Some supporters shouted "Turkey is with you," and others held signs greeting Erdogan as "a new world leader," the BBC reported.
Meanwhile, Peres and Erdogan spoke by telephone after the debate, in which United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Arab League leader Amr Moussa also participated. During the conversation, the two leaders agreed not to let the incident affect Turkish-Israeli relations, Israel Radio reported.
"I am very sorry for what happened and friends could sometimes have an argument between themselves," Peres told Erdogan during the telephone conversation. "I have always had a great respect for the Republic of Turkey and you as the prime minister. I consider myself as a friend of Turkey and Premier Erdogan."
"We don't want conflict with Turkey. We are in a conflict with the Palestinians," Peres told reporters at the annual gathering of businessmen and political leaders in the Swiss ski resort of Davos.
"I don't see this as a personal or national problem. The relations can remain as they are. My respect [for him] hasn't changed. It was an exchange of views and views are views," Peres said.
Peres said he hoped Turkey would continue to be a moderating force in the Middle East. "Turkey should be an answer to Iran ... they offer a choice to the Middle East. I hope they will continue to do it," he said.

ConcernedPakistani

MPA (400+ posts)
Turkish PM given hero's welcome

BBC NEWS Page last updated at 05:01 GMT, Friday, 30 January 2009 Turkey's PM has received a hero's welcome on his return to Istanbul after he stormed out of a debate about Gaza at the World Economic Forum in Davos.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan had reacted angrily when he was refused the chance to respond to Israeli President Shimon Peres' defence of the operation
Thousands of people turned out in the city to greet Mr Erdogan's plane.
He told them Mr Peres' language and tone had been unacceptable, so he acted to stand up for Turkish honour.
"I only know that I have to protect the honour of Turkey and Turkish people," said Mr Erdogan.
"I am not a chief of a tribe. I am the prime minister of Turkey. I have to do what I have to do."
The BBC's Sarah Rainsford in Istanbul said there had been huge anger in Turkey at Israel's operation in Gaza and there now appears to be widespread support for Mr Erdogan's actions in Davos.

o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
This showed that Turks are standing on their feet in Europe, in the world
end_quote_rb.gif

Mustafa Mastar, Istanbul resident

inline_dashed_line.gif

Turkey rallies to Gaza's plight

Huge crowds were waiting at Istanbul airport in the early hours of the morning, with many people waving Turkish and Palestinian flags.
Correspondents said the crowds were shouting "Turkey is with you," and that some were holding signs greeting Mr Erdogan as "a new world leader".
"In Davos, all the world witnessed what has not been happening for many years," said Istanbul resident Mustafa Mastar.
"This showed the power of Turks. It showed that Turks are standing on their feet in Europe, in the world."
"Tonight I was really proud. I feel really happy," said Mustafa Sahin, another person in the crowd.
'Matter closed'

_45427847_crowds_afp226.jpg
Crowds gathered at Istanbul airport to welcome Mr Erdogan

During the debate on Thursday, Mr Erdogan had clashed with Mr Peres, whose voice had risen as he made an impassioned defence of Israel's actions, jabbing his finger. Mr Erdogan said Mr Peres had spoken so loudly to conceal his "guilt".

He said many people had died in Gaza and he found it sad that anyone would applaud Mr Peres for defending Israel's actions.
He then accused the moderator of not allowing him to speak and said he did not think he would return to Davos.
The Turkish PM stressed later that he had left the debate not because of his disagreements with Mr Peres but because he had been given much less time to speak than the Israeli leader.

He said he respected Mr Peres but that "what he says is not true". Turkey is one of the few Muslim countries to have dealings with Israel, but relations have been under strain since the Islamist-rooted AK Party was elected to power in 2002.
But Mr Erdogan stressed to the crowds in Istanbul that "our hard words are not directed towards the people of Israel, not directed at the Jews, but they are totally directed towards the government of Israel".
He said no decision on Turkish-Israeli relations would be made "driven by momentary anger on such issues".
More than 1,300 Palestinians and 14 Israelis were killed during the three-week conflict in Gaza, which began on 27 December.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/davos/7859815.stm

ConcernedPakistani

MPA (400+ posts)
"This was a matter of the esteem and prestige of my country. Hence, my reaction had to be clear. I could not have allowed anyone to poison the prestige and in particular the honor of my country," he said."Our reproaches are not against the Israeli people or Jews. Our reproach is totally against the Israeli administration," Erdogan said.

Huge crowds were waiting at Istanbul airport in the early hours of the morning, with many people waving Turkish and Palestinian flags.
Correspondents said the crowds were shouting "Turkey is with you," and that some were holding signs greeting Mr Erdogan as "a new world leader".
"In Davos, all the world witnessed what has not been happening for many years," said Istanbul resident Mustafa Mastar.
"This showed the power of Turks. It showed that Turks are standing on their feet in Europe, in the world."
"Tonight I was really proud. I feel really happy," said Mustafa Sahin, another person in the crowd.

Pakistan needs a leader

ConcernedPakistani

MPA (400+ posts)
Thousands of people turned out in the city to greet Mr Erdogan's plane.
He told them Mr Peres' language and tone had been unacceptable, so he acted to stand up for Turkish honour.
"I only know that I have to protect the honour of Turkey and Turkish people," said Mr Erdogan.
"I am not a chief of a tribe. I am the prime minister of Turkey. I have to do what I have to do."

Who would protect the honour of Pakistani people. Rather our so=called leaders happily hand over Pakistanis to other countries without any trial.

ealtaf

Minister (2k+ posts)
Re: Turkish Prime Minister Speaks Up (Is ko kehtey hain mard ka bachcha! Mashallah!)

Yar these Leaders are courageous and brave because they are honest with their people, with their country, with their religion. They know that when they speak whole country is standing at their back. This is leadership, this is what we want in Pakistan, the only person I see deserving of Leading Pakistan is Chairman PTI Imran Khan. Ya Allah make Pakistan a better place to live by the hands of Imran Khan. Ya Allah give him courage, power, guidance to Lead this Muslim nation of Pakistan, Ya Allah hum Tujhi sy Madad mangtay hain aur Tujhi par bharosa karty hain..... Ameen