10 reasons why I love Canadian winter !!!

canadian

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Mayank Bhatt has learned to love Canadas snowy climate.

10 reasons why I love Canadian winter

In a little more than two years of living in Canada, Im no longer in dread of the long and harsh winter.

Mayank Bhatt

So, whos afraid of the mighty Canadian winter? Not me; not any longer. In a little more than two years of living in Canada, Im no longer in dread of the long and harsh winter. In fact, I was actually looking forward to it this year, given the unusually warm climate weve had.

Here are 10 reasons why I love the Canadian winter. Winter is:

1. When I can wear several layers of warm clothes and hide (although not completely) my beer belly.

2. When the static in the artificially heated rooms makes touching another person an electrifying experience. (Does this happen only to newcomers?)

3. When the whiteness that I see from my apartment window is blinding, but also calming and soothing. And those two trees down below one with snow-covered leaves and the other bare-naked stand together complementing each other; coexisting peacefully despite being different.

4. The bus stops are empty, although the buses arent, but getting on into a warm bus is so pleasant.

5. Losing your favourite pair of woollen gloves that you bought in Mumbai (from Roopam, the only shop in that bustling megapolis that sells winter clothes), spend a sleepless night in remorse, only to then serendipitously find them on your work desk the next morning.

6. Buying snow boots from Zellers every year for my son, who wont stop growing.

7. The end of daylight saving and the start of long, almost unending nights. Its dark when you reach work, dark when you reach home, nearly dark at coffee break. Some find it depressing; I find it soothing.

8. Wearing velvet moccasins at home. I bought them at a dirt cheap price and wore them to work intermittently through summer, only to realize that they are slippers youre supposed to wear at home.

9. Walking through snow-laden walkways. I enjoy being a kid as I deliberately plonk my way through freshly laid snow.

10. Summer is so many months away. Im sure this will sound strange to a Canadian, but to anyone whos spent his life quite near the equator, the sun holds no charm. (http://www.canadianimmigrant.ca/immigrantstories/immigrantblogs/article/7971)

wanderer

Siasat.pk - Blogger
there is so much more to liking Canadian winters :)

The peace and tranquility that settles on a moonlit - snow'ed in night.

The steaming hot choclate ....

etc etc etc...

ASQR1

Only thing good abut winter in Canada is spring.

When the gloomy gray sky turns to clear blue,
And the snow disappears from the ground,
When the birds start singing, our moods start to lift,
Then we know Spring is coming around.
When the first flower poke their heads to the sun,
Golden daffodils, red patunias, too;
When the grass turns green, and the flowers bloom,
Then sweet Spring makes its show a debut.
Once again we awake from cold winter's pale dream,
As our minds and our bodies revive;
We rejoice and delight in spring’s colorful sight;
Each new spring makes us glad we’re alive!
Every day fresh air, red roses and blue skies make us thrive.
and thrive we will, because of the roses and daffodils.

canadian

You Might Be Canadian If...

You think Peter Mansbridge is sexy. You can eat more than one maple sugar candy without feeling nauseous. You think -10 C is mild weather. You substitute beer for water when cooking. You steal stationery from your Government of Canada co-operative education placement because you figure you can find lots of uses for paper with 'Human Resources Development Canada/Dveloppement des Ressources Humaines Canada' written at the top. You refuse to consume chocolate that doesn't come in either Smarties, Coffee Crisp, or Laura Secord format. You die a little inside if you can't get your Tim's double-double every morning. Someone accidently stepped on your foot. You apologize. You've actually said, "Stay where yer at, 'till I gets where yer to." You pity people who haven't tasted a "beavertail". You have at least one ROOTS sweatshirt that always smells like cigarettes and beer. You find it difficult to explain "milk in a bag" to non-Canadians, and even more difficult to describe the "snippy-thing" used on bag corners. (Bonus points if your collected snippy-things are stuck to your fridge.) Your local zoo is mainly flamingoes, giraffes and sad elephants freezing their asses off against a backdrop of pine trees, grey skies, and precambrian shield formations. You wonder why squirrels and seagulls somehow manage to get in every zoo exhibit (including the parking lot and squirrel and seagull exhibits). You're such a hardcore Canadian punk you used ketchup-flavoured potato chip 'residue' to dye your hair. You know it's kind of gross, but at least you smell good. You're not offended by the term "HOMO MILK" You drink Pop, not Soda. You don't care about the fuss with Cuba. It's a cheap place to go for your holidays (not vacation), with good cigars and no Americans. You drive on a highway, not a freeway You have Canadian Tire money in your kitchen drawers. You brag to Americans: Shania Twain, Jim Carrey, Celine Dion & more, are Canadians. You know that the C.E.O. of American Airlines is a Canadian You design your Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit. You know that the last letter of the English alphabet is always pronounced "Zed" You live in a house with no front step, but the door is one meter up from the ground. Your local newspaper covers the national news on 2 pages, but requires 6 pages for hockey. You know that the four seasons means: winter, still winter, almost winter, and road work/construction. You know that when it's 25 degrees outside, it's a warm day. You are in grade 12, not the 12th grade. Eh?" is a very important part of your vocabulary, and is more polite than, "Huh?" You call it a BUN not a "Roll" Its called a WASHROOM not a lavatory or powder room or rest room. You know that in Canada the mosquitoes have landing lights You have more kilometers on your snow blower than your car. You know that Canadian Tire on any Saturday is busier than the toy stores before Christmas. You've taken your kids trick-or-treating in a blizzard. You owe more money on your snowmobile than on your car. The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun. Your snow blower gets stuck on the roof. You think the start of deer season is a national holiday. You frequently clean grease off your barbeque so the bears won't prowl on your deck. You find -40C a little chilly. The trunk of your car doubles as a freezer. You are excited whenever an American television show mentions Canada. You make a mental note to talk about it at work the next day. When abroad, you have a cold fear that somebody might mistake you for an American. You make a point of deliberately being kind to locals just to make it clear you are a Canadian You understand everything in this list, and email it to all your friends.

Baba jee

Councller (250+ posts)
I love winter because me & my kids can skate on the frozen rivers.
I love all four Canadian seasons!

"Swing" dollar is a part of life here. You can't survive without it, because its a local currency here!

moazzamniaz

Multan is not very far from New York and so is Dera Ghazi Khan
where I originally hail from.
So,

اک ہم ہی نہیں تنہا، ............!؟

However, my ancestral home is in Ali-Pur, dist Muzaffar Garh, Division D G Khan. Glad to know about u, bro!!!!!!!

canadian

So,

اک ہم ہی نہیں تنہا، ............!؟

However, my ancestral home is in Ali-Pur, dist Muzaffar Garh, Division D G Khan. Glad to know about u, bro!!!!!!!

I am originally from a village called Vehoa in DG Khan.However,as my father was in the civil service we did not live there.
Most of my life I lived in Lahore.

baaghi01

Senator (1k+ posts)
Wait for another couple of years and see if u still like it n how fun winters are. Darkness starting at 4:30p.m and 8 months of winter. Somebody said all 4 seasons of canada. Are you sure you living in canada??? I dont see any 4 seasons.

canadian

Wait for another couple of years and see if u still like it n how fun winters are. Darkness starting at 4:30p.m and 8 months of winter. Somebody said all 4 seasons of canada. Are you sure you living in canada??? I dont see any 4 seasons.

Yes Bro.I am living here since the last fifteen years.I love winters and cold weather.

baaghi01

Senator (1k+ posts)
Yes Bro.I am living here since the last fifteen years.I love winters and cold weather.

No i wasnt talking about you bro. But there are no 4 seasons. Its not called 4 seasons when you have 8 months of winter and winter is not just with snow only.

Maryam.

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
I can tell 1000 reasons for hating Canadian winter. I miss Pakistan's winter, it was so nice. =D But the Spring and Summer is nice here, can't wait for the snow to go away. <_<

canadian

I can tell 1000 reasons for hating Canadian winter. I miss Pakistan's winter, it was so nice. =D But the Spring and Summer is nice here, can't wait for the snow to go away. <_<

Once you stay in this Country for five years of so you will develop liking for every thing Canadian(including the weather).
I have travelled a lot and been to maybe twenty or so countries but believe me Canada is unique.

Maryam.

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Once you stay in this Country for five years of so you will develop liking for every thing Canadian(including the weather).
I have travelled a lot and been to maybe twenty or so countries but believe me Canada is unique.

I have been here for nearly 10 years now and still haven't formed a liking towards the winter here, its pathetic. My body's intolerance to the cold doesn't help me either..(thumbsdown) Yeah, its a nice country, no doubt about that.. but still I wouldn't say its 'fun' to be here, especially in winter.