Why dams – Why are they Lying

RajaRawal111

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
I was talking to one of the very reasonable insafi behen ji Rtabasum about the reason why we need dams and I gave her my point of view. Than I thought I should share it with others too. I will make it as short and as simple as possible. But the topic needs little deliberation.

Total area of Pakistan is 796,100 sq km. out of which arable land (including all Indus basin and other rivers) is 27300 sq km. This makes only 27% of the total land. Total agricultural land on Pakistan is 46%, so rest of 19% depends on rains for irrigation. 54% of the Pakistan land is not cultivatable. Minus urban areas, this 54% land is not cultivatable because there is no water in this area. Therefore, if we manage the water through reservoirs/dams, it will benefit only 27% of Pakistan. That means, this will not benefit 73% of the land at all.

Now let us see why we need dams.

Global warming is not a myth, It is an established reality. Due to this the rate of melting of our glaciers in Himalayas is drastically increasing. An estimate shows that we will lose 70 to 90% of these glaciers by 2100. This increasing melting rate is going to increase the flow rates in our rivers. The 27% of our arable land is the food basket for whole nation. Most of this land will be hit by increasing floods every year. As a result we will loose one to two cultivation seasons in these lands. So we need dams to regulate this over flow of the rivers in future --- not to fight the scarcity of the water. 2nd benefit off course is cheap electricity.

Now the question of depleting drinkable water. It is also a valid problem. But there are alternate and very fast achievable solutions. 97% of the water on earth is in oceans. So who the hell says we are running out of water. No world is not worried about dying of thirst. World is more worried about drowning in the rising oceans. What about the countries who don’t have any rivers, how will they build dams. If dam is the only way out.

The only way out for scarcity of water is the desalination of the sea water. Extensive research is being done in finding the cheaper methods of desalination. Various methods have been developed, one which is very promising is the called as AQUAVUS (using ultrasonic resonance technique).

A dam will take 10 years plus to complete, while desalination plants will take no more than 3 years to build.

So my dear Insafi bothers and sisters if some one tells you that we need dams to drink water he is lying to you. Whether he is your Monkey Chief Justice or he is your beloved Wazeer-Azam Imran Khan. Whether they are lying to you deliberately or they don’t know ----- That is a different question.

I never touched this topic when Monkey was custodian of this slogan. It was never his job so I damn cared about him

But Now your beloved Wazeer-Azam Imran Khan is telling you this also. So I thought it is my responsibility to let you know that please please please help him build the dams. Help him build the dams to regulate the overflow in our rivers and save our cultivatable lands ----- not to save water for drinking.

Having said that. I am 110% in favor of IKs drive for the dam fund. But my Nakis Raaey is that IK did this to free up the monkey CJ and encourage him to do the job he is supposed to do. Also IK needs immediate dollars inflow to fight depletion of foreign reserves not the depletion of water reserves. You will never see the dam from this money until at least 10 years.

Below are some links to show the facts I have mentioned above.

http://en.worldstat.info/Asia/Pakistan/Land

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...area-will-disappear-with-climate-change-study

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aquavus-ultrasound-desalination-and-purification#/

Last edited:

RajaRawal111

All non-readers-abusers are requested that in above article I have not written anything against building the dam. I have written the actual reason why we are in dire need of the dams.

If you don’t have reasonable things to share. Please leave this thread alone for constructive discussion.

khalilqureshi

Senator (1k+ posts)
Brother desalinated water is only used as a last resort as desalinated water doesn't contain mandatory/essential minerals and therefore have late bad impact on health. This source is only used where there is no fresh water source available or fresh water is in scarcity. Pakistan has no dearth of fresh water. More then 70% of fresh water is wasted. Only if 50% of that 70% wastage is saved, our water woes can be solved. There are many ways to achieve that target , and Dam is only a fraction of this solution. But again desalinated water should be used as last resort and should not be given priority.

Regards

Kamboz

Senator (1k+ posts)
No one will take you seriously, since your job is criticism at any cost and on everything. Desalination plants are not cheap either. Botom line we need money for everything.

RajaRawal111

Brother desalinated water is only used as a last resort as desalinated water doesn't contain mandatory/essential minerals and therefore have late bad impact on health. This source is only used where there is no fresh water source available or fresh water is in scarcity. Pakistan has no dearth of fresh water. More then 70% of fresh water is wasted. Only if 50% of that 70% wastage is saved, our water woes can be solved. There are many ways to achieve that target , and Dam is only a fraction of this solution. But again desalinated water should be used as last resort and should not be given priority.

Regards
But Sir jee if you reduce it down to the benine state, than you can add any essential mineral in any quantity you want. Yes desalination is a last resort, but that is the only way out. And if it becomes cheaper than why call it last resort. Telling you truther the level of research on this field is just equal to the research on Hydrogen cell.
There are both incentives. Money with a patented technique and the will to survive as Water depletion is a much much serious problem for some nations. We are Alhumdo lillah much lucky with our rivers.

RajaRawal111

No one will take you seriously, since your job is criticism at any cost and on everything. Desalination plants are not cheap either. Botom line we need money for everything.
I also talked about cheaper techniques of desalination being developed. I just discussed one, but there are more methods.

Ali.Pakistani

Senator (1k+ posts)
Thank you for sharing links. I believe these are our habits that are making us deprived from fresh water like we normally go to tube-wells or pools just for taking dip for hours and enjoying. This somewhat costs us like 7000 to 8000 liters of fresh water per hour we waste only for fun. Though some of my friends say that the water goes back to the land when diverted to crops but still its so lavish usage of such a precious resource....

hawkinthesky111

Minister (2k+ posts)
isay samajh nahin aani...
the tactics of nooners are these to start creating doubts in everything that PTI govt starts..

qarz utaro mulk sanwaro..... yaad tu aaya hoga..

nooners are hurted as they did not think to devise this scheme in their time.... so they could have looted more money ... :)

Citizen
But Sir jee if you reduce it down to the benine state, than you can add any essential mineral in any quantity you want. Yes desalination is a last resort, but that is the only way out. And if it becomes cheaper than why call it last resort. Telling you truther the level of research on this field is just equal to the research on Hydrogen cell.
There are both incentives. Money with a patented technique and the will to survive as Water depletion is a much much serious problem for some nations. We are Alhumdo lillah much lucky with our rivers.
the solution you are suggesting is this the one which everyone in the world prefers as the solution? we may survive by eating tree leaves as well or maybe something worst than what we eat now.. but is this really the preferred solution... dam building is not only about saving water to drink there are more benefits.

back to the future

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Yaar aap Bach pan say hi it nay aqal mand thay ya abhi koi jri booti pi hay?
water desalinate kr kay lahore pindi peshawar puhanchana hay?
water ka aik cycle hay Apnay ganja boss ki khush a mad say farigh ho jao tu ghor kro paani do Treeqon say aata hay baarish say aur snowfall say baarishon aur snowfall say aap kay dry chaltay hain.aur land cultivate hoti hay.

dam say paani roka jaatay hay aur cultivation kay season main provide kia jaata hay.

Ab apnay kaam pr lg jao

khalilqureshi

Senator (1k+ posts)
Agreed that minerals can be added but adding mineral again require investment and regular expenses/cost which overshadow its real benefit. Thats why I am not completely against it but I am of the view that purpose can be served using modern way of using water ( which is being wasted), harvesting flood, rain water and cloud water. Better management is the answer as we don't have any scarcity of fresh water. Leaving fresh water ( which is in abundance) for saline water is not understandable where less investment can bring better results. So far dams are concerned I fully agree with you that dams should not be given priority as other better solutions are available.

RajaRawal111

the solution you are suggesting is this the one which everyone in the world prefers as the solution? we may survive by eating tree leaves as well or maybe something worst than what we eat now.. but is this really the preferred solution... dam building is not only about saving water to drink there are more benefits.

I will never disagree with you. Yes dams are used for preserving drinking water too. But as I said only the areas downstream of the dam benefit. It is not good for whole country. what we will do for the growing population in Baluchistan (if our CPEC and gawader gives us the sweet fruit we are expecting). Which dam will benefit baluchistan and people in thar.

I repeat. I am never against a dam - but we need them to save us from growing water. Not to save up from depleting water.

khalilqureshi

Senator (1k+ posts)
Also there is misunderstanding about dams. You probably know India has built more then 2000 dams. I live in Sydney and in NSW (state where Sydney is located and is equal in area to Pakistan) there are more then 2300 dams. There was once/twice active campaign for desalination plant water but environmentalists rejected it on many grounds besides one, I mentioned in above response and government had to listen to these arguments.

RajaRawal111

Yaar aap Bach pan say hi it nay aqal mand thay ya abhi koi jri booti pi hay?
water desalinate kr kay lahore pindi peshawar puhanchana hay?
water ka aik cycle hay Apnay ganja boss ki khush a mad say farigh ho jao tu ghor kro paani do Treeqon say aata hay baarish say aur snowfall say baarishon aur snowfall say aap kay dry chaltay hain.aur land cultivate hoti hay.

dam say paani roka jaatay hay aur cultivation kay season main provide kia jaata hay.

Ab apnay kaam pr lg jao

Jnaab Us jari booti Ka naam he Bhung.
And about your question on transporting the water. Do you know there is one thing called a ""the pipeline"". that things starts from far reached of central Russia and extent all the way to western Europe. which i think is more than 10 time longer than distance between sea and Pindi/Lahore.

Should I send some of that booti to you too. It will make it easy for you to understand these kind of simple solutions.

RajaRawal111

Also there is misunderstanding about dams. You probably know India has built more then 2000 dams. I live in Sydney and in NSW (state where Sydney is located and is equal in area to Pakistan) there are more then 2300 dams. There was once/twice active campaign for desalination plant water but environmentalists rejected it on many grounds besides one, I mentioned in above response and government had to listen to these arguments.

Yes because we use the electrolytic methods for desalination . Which needs lots of power which off course have environmental impact. But as i said above there are cheaper and environmental friendly methods are emerging now.
So far as Indian dams are concerned. yes that is a bad fact. Which our govts have criminally neglected.

Last edited:

crankthskunk

Here he goes, another "Aristotle" in Khoon league in the making like the "MBA Genius" of "Narowal".
This idiots doesn't know that, even countries like Britain, where is no shortage of the rain, and most if not all cultivation is done through natural rain water. We still have huge reservoirs in and around all major cities to supply the population fresh drinking water.
There is a massive system of aqua ducts under the roads etc to collect the rain water and store it.
Let me remind him the UK is an island, surrounded from all corner by thee Sea. It is not very big or wide country. All major cities are probably less than 100 miles from a sea shore.
Considering this they wouldn't and shouldn't have worried about such wide and massive system of water storage.
Even this country at times in the extended summers or in some months when rainfall is short, runs out of water storage. Hose pipe ban are quite frequent in the UK too where there is no shortage of the rain.

secondly, the reservoirs and dams are needed in Pakistan, because we receive rain in Pakistan and India in buckets in Monsoon period.
It makes perfect sense to store the water for the time of the year when it is dry.

Thirdly, the cultivation area in Pakistan is limited because no water is available in most part of Baluchistan and part of lower Punjab and Sind because no major rivers flow there. Storage and then transportation system of water to those areas can also increase Pakistan's cultivation area.

RajaRawal111

Here he goes, another "Aristotle" in Khoon league in the making like the "MBA Genius" of "Narowal".
This idiots doesn't know that, even countries like Britain, where is no shortage of the rain, and most if not all cultivation is done through natural rain water. We still have huge reservoirs in and around all major cities to supply the population fresh drinking water.
There is a massive system of aqua ducts under the roads etc to collect the rain water and store it.
Let me remind him the UK is an island, surrounded from all corner by thee Sea. It is not very big or wide country. All major cities are probably less than 100 miles from a sea shore.
Considering this they wouldn't and shouldn't have worried about such wide and massive system of water storage.
Even this country at times in the extended summers or in some months when rainfall is short, runs out of water storage. Hose pipe ban are quite frequent in the UK too where there is no shortage of the rain.

secondly, the reservoirs and dams are needed in Pakistan, because we receive rain in Pakistan and India in buckets in Monsoon period.
It makes perfect sense to store the water for the time of the year when it is dry.

Thirdly, the cultivation area in Pakistan is limited because no water is available in most part of Baluchistan and part of lower Punjab and Sind because no major rivers flow there. Storage and then transportation system of water to those areas can also increase Pakistan's cultivation area.

یار بغلول تیرے جیسوں سے میں نے پہلے ہی ریکویسٹ کی تھی کہ اس تھریڈ سے باہر ہی رہنا پلیز
تم لوگوں نے پڑھے بغیر میرا نام دیکھ کر ہی بولنا ہوتا ہے

پڑھ لو ذرا --- میں نے ڈیم نہ بنانے کا بلکل نہیں کہا

back to the future

Jnaab Us jari booti Ka naam he Bhung.
And about your question on transporting the water. Do you know there is one thing called a ""the pipeline"". that things starts from far reached of central Russia and extent all the way to western Europe. which i think is more than 10 time longer than distance between sea and Pindi/Lahore.

Should I send some of that booti to you too. It will make it easy for you to understand these kind of simple solutions.
you seem to be Agha waqar type of person.
Keep smoking the weed as it will give you such wonderful ideas again and again.pipeline hah

free_man

MPA (400+ posts)
Britain spend billions to build separate drainage systems. Surface water (rain water) and foul water( toilets etc) are kept separate. The whole Britain drinks surface water after filtration. Desalination is very energy intensive. Dams are build to increase water availability in dry season and regulate flow in wet season. It not only provide water for drinking but agriculture during the periods of need. What Raja suggesting is based on farcical idea of desalination becoming cheaper in near future instead of building dams.