The bear trap !

Classified

Senator (1k+ posts)

From 1983 to 1987 the author, Brigadier Mohammad Yousaf, was the head of the Afghan Bureau of Pakistan's Inter-Service Intelligence (ISI-akin to the CIA), and as such was effectively the Mujahideen's commander-in-chief; he is. in fact, as the book demonstrates, the only general since the Second World War to have directed troops in action within the Soviet Union's own borders. He controlled the flow of thousands of tons of arms across Pakistan and into its occupied neighbor, arms bought with CIA and Saudi Arabian funds from the USA, Britain, China, Egypt and Turkey, amongst others. He organized and directed the training of the Mujahideen in secret camps within his own country, and covertly sent Pakistan Army teams inside Afghanistan to assist the guerrilla's in their campaign of ambushes, assassinations, raids and rocket attacks, a campaign that forced the Soviets to realize that they could never win. He saw that the Mujahideen were fed, cared for, and supplied with every necessity; he organized recruiting from among the thousands of refugees; he negotiated with the leaders of various guerrilla groups (a task requiring the skills, patience, and strength of character of several saints); and he coordinated the ultra-secret Mujahideen raids deep inside what was then still the USSR.
There are many in authority in the USA and Pakistan who would still prefer that Brigadier Yousaf's revelations were not made public, and not least his confirmation that American and Pakistani authorities deliberately blocked any serious investigation into the-murder of Pakistan's leader, General Zia, the US Ambassador, and Yousaf's superior, the head of ISI, in an airplane crash in August 1988. Never published in the USA, the last remaining copies of the original 1992 UK hardcover edition were snapped up by US intelligence in the last week of September.

Below is the link to read , a gift to all patriots from me !! ENJOY !

http://therearenosunglasses.wordpress.com/the-bear-trap-afghanistan’s-untold-story/

Last edited:

Classified

Senator (1k+ posts)
Extract from this book AND MANY OTHERs i kept save to wrtie in members Blog but had to post the link of this Precious book because SO many of our young patriots here on this forum indulges in lame aurguments with others when it comes to FACTS AND FIGURES !
i guess this would help a little to understand the current situation of Afghnistan and Role of ISI in past and Today !!

Geek

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Extract from this book AND MANY OTHERs i kept save to wrtie in members Blog but had to post the link of this Precious book because SO many of our young patriots here on this forum indulges in lame aurguments with others when it comes to FACTS AND FIGURES !
i guess this would help a little to understand the current situation of Afghnistan and Role of ISI in past and Today !!

Role of ISI is an established fact no one denies it, and ISI was not the only spy ageny who was involved in it, infect Afghanistan was a joint operation of CIA and ISI, both agencies were fighting KGB and Afghan Khad. So blaming only ISI for Afghanistan is unjustified.

Wadaich

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
The success of ISI results in the cries of the enemies

The success of ISI results in the cries of the enemies. So we should not be apologetic about the successes of ISI. Let the haters of Pakistan cry.
(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)

Last edited:

Geek

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
The success of ISI results in the cries of the enemies. So we should be apologetic about the successes of ISI. Let the haters of Pakistan cry.
(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)

Should be or should not be?

Salik

Senator (1k+ posts)
I ve read this book before... it is an excellent piece of information...I recommend all of u to read it... :) Happy reading

Last edited:

Night-Hawk

Senator (1k+ posts)
I bought this book from Caravan Books Multan in year 2000. At that time it was not very popular as previous Jehad was considered antiquated and west had lost interest in it. I was attracted by the title of this book "The Bear Trap". During the great game of 19th century, colonial Russia was reckoned as bear (due to her huge colonial expansion i.e. all the way from Pacific to Atlantic). After the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917, the bear was envisaged as "Red Bear". The USSR was truly a successor state of Imperial Russia. Peter the Great (1672-1725) was responsible for the huge territorial expansion of Russia across Siberia in East-West axis and Central Asia across North-South axis. It was his will before his death that Russian Empire must be expanded to the Indian warm waters (so that Russian Empire could compete with other contemporary naval powers like Britain and France). Peter the Great's will became Russian Psyche and successive Czars were indulged in spy wars with British Empire which continued till 1907. It was around this year when Russia and Great Britain agreed to make Afghanistan a Buffer State and Wakhan strip was deliberately expanded so that the boundaries of aforementioned empires do not meet (to maintain Afghan buffer and to avoid a direct conflict). After 1917 Russia became Soviet Union but the psyche prevailed i.e. to reach the warm waters of India. Russians were seriously traumatized in both world wars but the urge to reach warm waters was never lost. Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in 1979 was an attempt to materialize the age old Russian Psyche.

Now they had two routes to reach the warm waters

1- From Afghanistan to Iran -- to reach ports of Chahbahar (not operational then) and Bandar Abbas in Persian Gulf
2- From Afghanistan to Balouchistan--- to reach Gawadar in Arabian Sea

First route was less likely --- Russians were under the hand helping Iranians to challenge American hegemony. Second route was the most plausible route because Pakistan was considered an enemy of USSR (U2 Plane incident and Pakistan's entry into SEATO and CENTO) and a simultaneous Indian attack from Eastern side could have made things easier for them. Another important reason to consider Gawadar was its vital strategic location adjacent to the mouth of strait-of-Hormuz. So to get Gawadar was like a-dream-come-true scenario.

Note: If you look at the Russian map you will notice that major Russian ports like Vladivostok (in Pacific) and Sevastapol (in Black Sea) are in Northern hemisphere and not operational round the year. Secondly they are far away from ancient trade routes and Persian Gulf, where Russian navy could not play a significant role to control oil traffic and influence international trade.

Last edited:

Classified

Senator (1k+ posts)
Hola amigo Nighty ! word up ?

never read a book on Peter the Great but have seen TV serial on him back in 1989 ..

Night-Hawk

Senator (1k+ posts)
Peter_der-Grosse_1838.jpg

Peter I the Great or Pyotr Alexeyevich Romanov

He is the most influential and respected figure in Russian history.​

alibhai

Councller (250+ posts)
Read the Bear Trap way back in ancient history when it came out. It was all over every library in a cantt. or a unit. No doubt about the success of the ISI afghan cell back in those days. But there should also be no doubt about the present consequences of those actions. This is some long tail blowback we are dealing with and still no end in sight.

It will also be instructive to talk to Afghans and have their view of the Pakistani role in their history. Changed my perspective. Was the war neccessary? Was it worth it? Would Pakistan have recieved better aid and technology from west if Afghanistan had been allowed to go into soviet fold? Or did we, as we usually do, freak out too early. Its all academic now.

Night-Hawk

Senator (1k+ posts)
Read the Bear Trap way back in ancient history when it came out. It was all over every library in a cantt. or a unit. No doubt about the success of the ISI afghan cell back in those days. But there should also be no doubt about the present consequences of those actions. This is some long tail blowback we are dealing with and still no end in sight.

It will also be instructive to talk to Afghans and have their view of the Pakistani role in their history. Changed my perspective. Was the war neccessary? Was it worth it? Would Pakistan have recieved better aid and technology from west if Afghanistan had been allowed to go into soviet fold? Or did we, as we usually do, freak out too early. Its all academic now.

Brother ! Don't you think that the first afghan war was more of 'symbiotic relationship' than the current 'master-slave relationship'? Had there been no 9/11 we would have been better off (assuming that 9/11 was not done by Afghans).

Last edited:

alibhai

Councller (250+ posts)
Brother ! Don't you think that the first afghan war was more of 'symbiotic relationship' than the current 'master-slave relationship'? Had there been no 9/11 we would have been better off (assuming that 9/11 was not done by Afghans).

Yes, there was symbiosis between the US admin and Zia regime. Zia was able to prolong his illegal rule. The hawks in US admin were able to get benefits at home. In the end the US came out ahead. They got a bit of payback by humiliating the USSR using proxies. I really don't see anything Pakistan got that we couldn't get in different circumstances. The only tangible benefit, I used to concede was that Pakistan was able to continue with the nuclear programme. But, I no longer think that even that can be said so easily. The program was started by Zulfi Bhutto despite worldwide sanctions and condemnations. It continued under BB and the testing was done under NS, again all this against worldwide pressure. So there is a pattern of Pakistani civil govts remaining loyal to this national cause.

I wouldn't agree to the assertion of the current relation being painted as master-slave. It was still symbiotic between the govts. Musharraf got the legitimacy he was looking for and that prolonged his rule. Where there is a problem again is that our govts concede too fast and ask for too little. A lot of that comes from lack of foresight and lack of understanding of the pressures the US partners are working under. We all have heard and read about the surprise of US admin at how fast Pak conceeded to the war effort. We have seen how little tangible benefits have been garnered from this. Why is it that the military believes it is negotiating for itself only and not for the whole country. When it is the whole country that is in the line of fire, not just the good generals. All they want is weapons and dollars. Tech transfer - no thanks, build infrastructure - don't need it, economic revival - what is that.

The master-slave image is being sold to the people of the country. They are in partnership. All muslim countries, none of them democracies, play this game with the populace. They flame haterd towards different boogie men to divert attention from their own failures. Look at mid-east. Almost all of them are in bed with Israel and/or america, but they make fools of their people by keeping them at simmer. That is why asking for proofs and investigating is so important. Even if the assertion sounds good to our ears. Still question its validity.

The Americans in hysteria after getting attacked did not ask questions of their govt. and gave them carte blanche to go out there and kick ass. Now there is regret and understanding that they have wasted precious lives and resources for no result. The world view is that 9-11 was done by saudi citizens inspired/guided by osama. Osama was under protection of taliban regime and had commander massoud assasinated to dig further into the good books of his hosts before the americans came asking for him. Maybe the taliban could have averted this war by handing over Osama. Maybe not. All academic now.