H1B Visa Abuse: What Do Software Engineers Earn in India and Pakistan?

RiazHaq

Senator (1k+ posts)
A segment of CBS 60 Minutes, top rated American newsmagazine on television, has recently brought sharp focus on H1B visa abuse. It alleges that the H1B visas are being misused by Indian body shops to bring low-cost Indian software engineers to the United States to replace higher-paid American workers.

H1B Visa Abuse:

The visa category was originally intended to help fill gaps in the high-tech workforce with highly skilled employees from abroad in situations where there arent enough Americans. Instead, it has given rise to body shops that bring in workers from overseas, mainly from India, to replace higher-paid American workers.

Recent examples of the firing of American IT workers and their replacement by Indian workers at UC San Francisco and Walt Disney and Co have received a lot of media attention. What has particularly incensed the American public is the practice of forcing the American workers to train their replacements.

Labor Cost Savings:

A loophole in H-1B legislation that US companies are taking advantage of allows them to outsource jobs to Indian body shops without even looking for Americans, if those jobs pay approximately $60,000 or higher. Similar jobs in Silicon Valley pay an average of $110,000 a year.

The average salary of a software engineer ($110,000) in Silicon Valley is about 20X more than the average salaries in India ($6,875) and Pakistan ($4,770).

Average%2BSalaries%2Bof%2BSoftware%2BEngineers.png
Source: Glassdoor

Indians Gaming H1-B System:

Indian body shops are masters of gaming the H1-B system. Most of India's IT exports to the United States are made up of wages of H1B workers brought to the United States by a handful of Indian body shops like Cognizant, Tata Consulting Services (TCS) and Infosys. In 2014, 86% of the H1B visas for tech workers were granted to Indians, according to available data.

Excluding the Indian H1B workers' pay, India's IT exports drop to about one-twentieth of the the amount reported by the Indian government as IT exports, according to a 2005 study by US General Accounting Office (GAO).

The Indian body shops like Cognizant, TCS and Infosys that rely on the H1B visa program in the US are "the shining star" of the Indian economy, and the country's largest export, according to an Indian-American professor Ron Hira who is a strong critic of the abuses of H1B program. By complaining, the Indian government and firms that rely on the program are trying to "build up a firewall so that no other reforms can come through and constrain the program in any way."

Indian Code Coolies:

H1B workers brought in by Indian body shops are described variously as "code coolies" or "H1B slaves". Some call them "indentured servants", like the ones from India who replaced slave labor after the British empire abolished slavery.

Indentured servants is a pretty accurate term because in many cases thats exactly whats going on, said Phillip Griego of San Joses Phillip J. Griego and Associates. Over the years, Griego and his law partner, Robert Nuddleman have represented several H-1B workers in lawsuits against body shops.

Trump's Pledge:

Along with cracking down on illegal immigration, a key campaign promise of President Trump has been to create lots of American jobs for American workers. Youve heard me say the words, and Ill repeat them, right now: Buy American and Hire American. Its not just a motto, its a pledge. Its a pledge to the working people of this country. The era of economic surrender for the United States is over -- it's over, Trump said at Michigan earlier this week.

Right after the CBS 60 Minutes segment on H1-B visa, Senator Chuck Grassley tweeted: "If u just saw CBS 60minutes abt ripoff H1B visa program is replacing AmWorkers u shld know my/Durbin bill will correct this injustice."

There are reports that new legislation is being offered to change the H1-B program. Among the key provisions of this new proposed legislation are cutting the number of visa by 50% and doubling the minimum salary of H1B workers from $60,000 to $120,000.

Summary:

The abuse of H1B visas to replace American workers and depress wages is drawing both legislative and executive attention under the Trump administration. High profile cases like the firing of American workers at UC San Francisco and Disney and their replacement by Indian workers has energized the support for cracking down on abuse.

Source:http://www.riazhaq.com/2017/03/h1b-visa-abuse-what-do-software.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Iconoclast

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
In my 17+ years of collaborating with various studios and clients, I've never worked for a Pakistani. I just excuse myself by saying they can't afford me.

atensari

(50k+ posts) بابائے فورم
یہ فرق صرف سافٹ وئیر انجینیر تک نہیں ہر شعبے میں موجود ہے

Iconoclast

Must Be Inferiority Complex. :P
Nah more like the reason for my arrogance. What I cater to does not even exist in Pakistan and I am not going to waste my time there. Audi, Merc, Lexus, Weta Digital, ILM, Blur studio is fun. Name one firm/media outlet that'd pay me 3000 for 30 seconds of a gig? No one, unless I am working for Zordari or Noora to further their propaganda.
Coming back to your butthurt jibe, if you ever followed my posts, you'll come to know I'll be the last person to worship the west. I'd have forsaken my Pakistani Nationality long ago. I go out, I get the job done, and I go back home. And if it weren't for the miserable electricity conditions, I'd probably have already based my self there.
I'm probably a better Pakistani than you. So before you get all butt heart and say something that holds no ground, use your brain. I bet you're donning a western attire sitting in Pakistan while here I am in shalwar Qameez (Friday)

karachi1947

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Nah more like the reason for my arrogance. What I cater to does not even exist in Pakistan and I am not going to waste my time there. Audi, Merc, Lexus, Weta Digital, ILM, Blur studio is fun. Name one firm/media outlet that'd pay me 3000 for 30 seconds of a gig? No one, unless I am working for Zordari or Noora to further their propaganda.
Coming back to your butthurt jibe, if you ever followed my posts, you'll come to know I'll be the last person to worship the west. I'd have forsaken my Pakistani Nationality long ago. I go out, I get the job done, and I go back home. And if it weren't for the miserable electricity conditions, I'd probably have already based my self there.
I'm probably a better Pakistani than you. So before you get all butt heart and say something that holds no ground, use your brain. I bet you're donning a western attire sitting in Pakistan while here I am in shalwar Qameez (Friday)

Good on ya lad, do us a proud! I understand what are you on about but the people in Pakistan have so much envy for each other so there is no point wasting your time and energy. Good luck!

kamdev

Banned
Good on ya lad, do us a proud! I understand what are you on about but the people in Pakistan have so much envy for each other so there is no point wasting your time and energy. Good luck!

do you believe what he is claiming ? 6000 rs for one minute ? 360000 for an hour ?(bigsmile)
such a great media baron ? pakistanis do not know him ?
he is telling very vaguely about his expertise ? why pakistan can't afford him ? is he c.e.o. of some multinational giant ?:)

Last edited:

Iconoclast

(bigsmile)(bigsmile)(bigsmile)

every hazzam has got some sort of complex , most have inferiority . they boast on net .
allah janta hai sachai kya hai .

small minds like you discuss others, I couldn't give a microfk what you think about me and if I'm lying or not, very few here actually know my reality and even FB, so keep on fantasizing about me. That must help your low self esteem.

Last edited:

Iconoclast

do you believe what he is claiming ? 6000 rs for one minute ? 360000 for an hour ?(bigsmile)
such a great media baron ? pakistanis do not know him ?
he is telling very vaguely about his expertise ? why pakistan can't afford him ? is he c.e.o. of some multinational giant ?:)
My expertise are beyond your comprehension skills. And I couldn't care any lesser whether you think I'm fibbing or not.
Pakistan can't afford me because there is no market for my skill set, 3d, motion graphics, vfx, architectural visualization etc. A an architect by the name of Arqam Sabzwari contacted me and he said his budget is 15k PKR. Would you do it for 15kpkr when you're making $300 an hour? No sane person would. So go ahead call me a liar lol **** factor = zero. That's why you'll never move ahead.
Most like Jarmani das would be ready to suck my dk in a heartbeat if they knew who I was lol, but oh well he wouldn't even pass up as my janitor.
You're in NY as you claim, which I could easily say you're lying about. Go ask someone how much a creative/interactive, 3d generalist/technical consultant earns a year.

6000 rs for one minute ? 360000 for an hour ?
4.gif
A 30 sec spot can take up to 15 days, plus a week or so to render it, post produce it and hand it over...... Your math is way off but then again, that ought to happen when you try to call out someone on something you know nothing about. Next time think before you open up your mouth, you'll be less likely laughed at.

Last edited:

Iconoclast

Much obliged, at least someone with intelligence and without any envy. Thank you. I try. I'm not particularly bothered by the retorts of these dimwits. Kinda amusing if you ask me.

kamdev

Banned
My expertise are beyond your comprehension skills. And I couldn't care any lesser whether you think I'm fibbing or not.
Pakistan can't afford me because there is no market for my skill set, 3d, motion graphics, vfx, architectural visualization etc. A an architect by the name of Arqam Sabzwari contacted me and he said his budget is 15k PKR. Would you do it for 15kpkr when you're making $300 an hour? No sane person would. So go ahead call me a liar lol **** factor = zero. That's why you'll never move ahead.
Most like Jarmani das would be ready to suck my dk in a heartbeat if they knew who I was lol, but oh well he wouldn't even pass up as my janitor.
You're in NY as you claim, which I could easily say you're lying about. Go ask someone how much a creative/interactive, 3d generalist/technical consultant earns a year.

you are great !
if you are working for walt disney or dreamworks or you must be like anish kapoor or owner of blue fountain and fantasy .
if above is true then your claim is acceptable .

giphy.gif

Iconoclast

you are great !
if you are working for walt disney or dreamworks or you must be like anish kapoor or owner of blue fountain and fantasy .
if above is true then your claim is acceptable .

giphy.gif

Oh I'm a freelancer, I collaborate with the likes of Weta digital, ILM, Aixsonza, tilt vfx, bad robot (JJ abrams) and so on. I will never accept a full time job offer, can't stand the idea of a boss and office env. I prefer my freedom so I can be a wanderlust. I have my own client base and they keep me busy.

Oh by the way those company you speak of, walt disney, dreamworks etc, they don't really do it in house, they outsource it to the same companies i collaborate with. Weta digital was responsible for the foliage of Avatar. ILM worked on other aspects of it and so on. It's a well knit industry with everyone depending on everyone.
As I mentioned above, I really couldn't be bothered whether you accept it or not and posting meme's usually mean you lack the ability to express yourself in words, hence a simpleton. ;)

Last edited:

kamdev

Banned
Oh I'm a freelancer, I collaborate with the likes of Weta digital, ILM, Aixsonza, tilt vfx, bad robot (JJ abrams) and so on. I will never accept a full time job offer, can't stand the idea of a boss and office env. I prefer my freedom so I can be a wanderlust. I have my own client base and they keep me busy.

Oh by the way those company you speak of, walt disney, dreamworks etc, they don't really do it in house, they outsource it to the same companies i collaborate with. Weta digital was responsible for the foliage of Avatar. ILM worked on other aspects of it and so on. It's a well knit industry with everyone depending on everyone.
As I mentioned above, I really couldn't be bothered whether you accept it or not and posting meme's usually mean you lack the ability to express yourself in words, hence a simpleton. ;)

well well well you are in this field with good standing that is clear .

Cobra

MPA (400+ posts)

My Sincere Apology For The Unfair Jibe. :)

Saqi99

Senator (1k+ posts)

Fucck off. No body cares. Brag somewhere else.

Saqi99

Senator (1k+ posts)
Apparently you do. Go play with your acrylic dike and direct your rectal rabies at someone else.

Looks like you have really fuucked up imagination. I see a ugly side of you which was quite obvious in your posts.

Listen arrsehole if you even sleep with Bill Gates or bed partner of Elon Musk, No one cares. Buzz off