Pakistani Taliban target female students with acid attack

ryzvonusef

MPA (400+ posts)
Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) -- It's the latest cruel tactic in the Pakistani Taliban's battle to stop girls and women from getting an education: acid thrown in their faces to scar them for life and deter others from following in their footsteps.

A doctor who treated the victims of an acid attack on a college van in the city of Parachinar in northern Pakistan last month told CNN that two girls had been left with severe burns to their faces.

The Pakistani Taliban have taken responsibility for the attack in threatening pamphlets distributed around the city. They also warn local girls against going to school, Dr. Shaban Ali said.

"We will never allow the girls of this area to go and get a Western education," said Qari Muhavia, the local Pakistani Taliban leader, when contacted by CNN by telephone.

Who are the Pakistani Taliban?

"If and when we find any girl from Parachinar going to university for an education we will target her (in) the same way, so that she might not be able to unveil her face before others," Muhavia said.

The Pakistani Taiban's violent campaign to stop girls from getting an education was brought to international attention early last month when gunmen in the Swat Valley attacked another van, this time carrying schoolgirl education activist Malala Yousufzai. She is in a British hospital recovering from a gunshot to the head.

Shahab Uddin, a local government official from Kurram Agency in Pakistan's northern tribal belt, said the acid attack was the latest method used to terrorize young girls and deter them from going to school.

Fifteen students, boys and girls, from Kohat University were on their way home to Parachinar when unknown "extremists" stopped the vehicle and threw acid at the girls and shot one of the boys, according to Uddin.

Two girls, Zahida and Nabila, and one more boy had suffered burns, Uddin said, while Mohammad Ali, a fourth boy, was the student who was shot.

"After throwing acid on the students the assailants opened fire on the van," Uddin said.

He said the girls who were targeted "are alive and out of danger now, but their faces are badly scarred."

Ali, of the district headquarters hospital, confirmed that four students were brought into the emergency room for treatment, three with acid burns and one with a bullet wound.

"We are all graduate students studying in the master's program, and we were coming back home after taking our exams," one of the girls who was targeted told CNN under condition of anonymity.

"We don't know who the attackers were, but when our vehicle reached Doranai they stopped us and threw acid on our faces ... now we are scared of going back to our studies," said another girl, who also asked not to be named because she didn't have permission from her family to speak.

Malala is face of global attacks on schools

"Other passengers who were sitting in the vehicle were also wounded, but they were not as serious as Zahida and Nabila," she said.

Acid throwing is frequently used as a weapon in Pakistan to punish women for acts that allegedly bring dishonor to the family, or just to enact revenge.

Another recent acid attack in Pakistan resulted in the death of a 15-year-old girl, Anwasha. She was allegedly attacked by her parents for engaging in illicit relations with a boy, according to Tahir Ayub, a senior police official.

The 15-year-old girl suffered severe burns on her face and chest, but her parents initially refused to get her medical help, Ayub said. She was eventually taken to a hospital a day later and died from her injuries.

"Her father said she wasn't coming to her senses so the parents threw acid on her to save their honor," Ayub told CNN.

Anwasha's mother claimed she had seen the boy and girl secretly meet and had seen her frequently speaking on a cell phone, Ayub said.

The parents, who live in a suburban village outside the Kashmiri city of Muzaffarabad, are in police custody, Ayub said.

The Taliban in Afghanistan also have used acid attacks against girls to discourage them from going to school. The victims are left to cope with a disfigurement that is shameful in their culture and is likely to impact their ability to have a husband and family.
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/03/world/asia/pakistan-acid-attack/index.html?sr=reddit

2qjdavk.jpg

What is WRONG with us?

Last edited by a moderator:

tariisb

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)

طالبان اتنے "پیچیدہ" حملوں پر یقین نہیں رکھتے ، وہ تو بس ، "اڑا" دیتے ہیں

اس طرح کے واقعات ، ہمارے معاشرے میں ، بہت پہلے سے ہورہے ہیں ،

یہ طالبان نہیں ، ہمارے چند خود سر "مردان" کیا کرتے ہیں

Believer12

Na kaho yaar iss page per Taliban kay sharmanak kamoon ko support karney waley ***** phir bhonkena shuru kar dete hain aur puri kahani ko di drama qarar dey dete hain.
iss larki ko bhi drama keh deyn gay keh white bandage kay niche kuch nahi hai.

PATRIOTIC_PAKISTANI

Minister (2k+ posts)
Na kaho yaar iss page per Taliban kay sharmanak kamoon ko support karney waley ***** phir bhonkena shuru kar dete hain aur puri kahani ko di drama qarar dey dete hain.
iss larki ko bhi drama keh deyn gay keh white bandage kay niche kuch nahi hai.

Kisi shakhs ka jhoota honay k liey itna kaafi hey k suni sunaee baat per yaqeen ker lein... this is what our religion teaches us .... doest it ?..... TTP's are terrorist - No doubt - and they always accepts whatever they do .. If you have started a debate in its own ... so everyone has right to give his opionion... So please use your words carefully without swearing ... and learn some ethics .........

Scorpion

Banned
Ya bandage wali tasweer ka news source ma siray sa koi zikar hi nahi . . . . Tum liberal jhootoun ko aik hi kaam aahta hai . . . . CUT COPY PASTE kur ka kahanian banana . . . . Shabash lugay raho . . . . Pichlay 12 saloun ma tum jaisoun na earhi choti ka zore laga lia hai . . . . likin Taliban hai kai kum honay ka bujai barhtay hi ja rahay hain . . . . Or tum kuch bhi kur lou, taliban ko roke nahi suktay . . . . Taliban aik haqeeqat hain or rahaingay . . . .

America zaleel ho kur dafa ho raha hai Afghanistan sa . . . . Phir tum sub munafiqoun ka khair mananay ki baari hai . . . .

ryzvonusef

MPA (400+ posts)
Just to clarify, I didn't put that image of the girl in bandages, the moderators moved this thread and must have put this image, I don't know where it has come from.

As for this happening before, well... in previous times it was usually due to love affairs and stuff of that nature, but now the taliban are adding going to school in this "honour" list, and this IS new.

Since when was going to school bad? Who decided this? Who gave them to right to decide this?

When will this stop? WHERE will this stop? This menace won't stop there, you know. It will spread, after all, the American *may* go from here, but the Taliban will *never* go from here, and don't think they will go back to their old lives, they like the taste of power, they will never let go (imagine a taliban version of zardari)

Believer12

Kisi shakhs ka jhoota honay k liey itna kaafi hey k suni sunaee baat per yaqeen ker lein... this is what our religion teaches us .... doest it ?..... TTP's are terrorist - No doubt - and they always accepts whatever they do .. If you have started a debate in its own ... so everyone has right to give his opionion... So please use your words carefully without swearing ... and learn some ethics .........

i am more ethical than you but here situation is terrible coz they are attacking on women,,,please be strong against enimies of islam and react with full strength. they are crossing the boundaries and we are teachign the lesson of ethics.
what a shame.

PATRIOTIC_PAKISTANI

Minister (2k+ posts)
i am more ethical than you but here situation is terrible coz they are attacking on women,,,please be strong against enimies of islam and react with full strength. they are crossing the boundaries and we are teachign the lesson of ethics.
what a shame.

If you think to react in full strength then wat's difference b/w you and talibans then ? they use their version of religin as you do... an old women who used to throw garbage on Prophet Mohammad (SAW) found him first to visit her when she was sick....

I observed the code of ethics you used above ... so cautioned....

the above mentioned are our social ills and not only an act of talibans.... Bori Band lashain,,, Rapes, Murders, extortions ..... its all in our society ... look what MQM is doing in Karachi , Wadeeras in Sindh, Talibans in KPK, Chaudaries in Punjab....

meray khiyaal mei tu hum sub buary log hein jo es dharti ko napaak kiyeye baithee hein....

TV lagao to pehli 5 khabrain kia hongi ?

1- Karachi mei pichle 12 ghantoon mei 10 boori band laashain mili - Altaf Hussain ki muzamat
2- Faisalabad mein 13 saal ki bachi aashna k saath pakre jaane k baad baap ko gooli maar di -
3- Haidarabad mei zamaindaar ne 2 mazaroon ko apne bhookay kutton k aagy daal dia -
4- panchait k faisle k baad 18 saal ki bachi se panchait ki ziadati.
5- peshawar bum dhamaka 75 ifraad halaak
6- Qatal, Badkaari, Rishwat, Dushmani, ziadat.............................

zhohaq

Minister (2k+ posts)
Just to clarify, I didn't put that image of the girl in bandages, the moderators moved this thread and must have put this image, I don't know where it has come from.

As for this happening before, well... in previous times it was usually due to love affairs and stuff of that nature, but now the taliban are adding going to school in this "honour" list, and this IS new.

Since when was going to school bad? Who decided this? Who gave them to right to decide this?

When will this stop? WHERE will this stop? [HI]This menace won't stop there, you know. It will spread, after all[/HI], the American *may* go from here, but the [HI]Taliban will *never* go from here[/HI], and don't think they will go back to their old lives, they like the taste of power, they will never let go (imagine a taliban version of zardari)

In Hospitals in multan according to one estimate 200 girls a month come to be treated for acid burns sustained mostly in attacks by jilted fiance,honor, relatives and In laws etc.
Then you have the separate category of burnings done usually by inlaws for women who dont bring enough jahaiz.

200 a month since as long as you can remember.

Does that daily crime rate not move you or is it only a crime when reported to the CNN and attributed to the Taliban???

Also note the many holes in your orignal report. They were "unknown "extremists" who attacked them
and one victims says that
"We don't know who the attackers were" yet you insist that its the "Taliban".

Can you tell us how you reached this conclusion.
Then they are getting the geography wrong. The alleged Taliban spokesman says one thing and the doctor Shaban Ali attributes another.

Acid throwing is common enough occurrence in this country? are all the cases perpetrated by the Taliban too.Then the CNN story then jumps to an unrelated case in Kashmir and then makes assertion about attacks in Afghanistan. I think you are also making similar leaps of logic.
Both are difficult to take seriously.

Last edited:

ryzvonusef

MPA (400+ posts)
In Hospitals in multan according to one estimate 200 girls a month come to be treated for acid burns sustained mostly in attacks by jilted fiance,honor, relatives and In laws etc.
Then you have the separate category of burnings done usually by inlaws for women who dont bring enough jahaiz.

200 a month since as long as you can remember.

Does that daily crime rate not move you or is it only a crime when reported to the CNN and attributed to the Taliban???

Also note the many holes in your orignal report. They were "unknown "extremists" who attacked them
and one victims says that
"We don't know who the attackers were" yet you insist that its the "Taliban".

Can you tell us how you reached this conclusion.
Then they are getting the geography wrong. The alleged Taliban spokesman says one thing and the doctor Shaban Ali attributes another.

Acid throwing is common enough occurrence in this country? are all the cases perpetrated by the Taliban too.Then the CNN story then jumps to an unrelated case in Kashmir and then makes assertion about attacks in Afghanistan. I think you are also making similar leaps of logic.
Both are difficult to take seriously.
Ah yes, the "leave the poor Taliban alone, look at all the *other* criminal out there, why don't you speak out about them?" excuse...

Sorry, bro, but look at this:

http://www.siasat.pk/forum/showthread.php?144424-Girl-killed-in-Kashmir-acid-attack

I posted this TWO days BEFORE, and no it has NO talibans in it, so your pathetic excuse that I am ONLY targeting those poor taliban is wrong.

I am moved by *all* crimes, no matter who does it, America, Taliban, or our own stupid people. I know people like to paint it as a black and white issue, either you are a western shill, begging for an american visa, or you are crazy mullah, going "haraam haraam kullu haraam", but I am neither, so stop trying to pigeon hole in to some stereotype.

I comment on news as it is, when a local person does it, I will blame them, as I did in that submission, but when the Taliban does it, I will curse them too.

Admit it, we have a problem. Foreign taliban coming here, and applying *there* ideology is wrong, I understand they have problems back in Afghanistan, or in one of -stans above, like Uzbekistan, Kazakhistan, Tajikistan etc... where they have harsh secular rulers who don't follow Islam at all, but that does NOT mean we have to suffer for it! (actually they are not even applying an ideology as much as releasing their pent up frustrations on us)

I have a relative who teaches a small primary school in one of these tribal areas (actually that one comes under PATA, not FATA), should I not be worried that one day I might hear she has been burned with acid? Why? for the *crime* of teaching those kids Alif Bey Pey?

zhohaq

Minister (2k+ posts)
Ah yes, the "leave the poor Taliban alone, look at all the *other* criminal out there, why don't you speak out about them?" excuse...

Sorry, bro, but look at this:

http://www.siasat.pk/forum/showthread.php?144424-Girl-killed-in-Kashmir-acid-attack

I posted this TWO days BEFORE, and no it has NO talibans in it, [HI]so your pathetic excuse that I am ONLY targeting those poor taliban is wrong.[/HI]

I am moved by *all* crimes, no matter who does it, America, Taliban, or our own stupid people. I know people like to paint it as a black and white issue, either you are a western shill, begging for an american visa,[HI] or you are crazy mullah, going "haraam haraam kullu haraam"[/HI], but I am neither, so stop trying to pigeon hole in to some stereotype.

I comment on news as it is, when a local person does it, I will blame them, as I did in that submission, but when the Taliban does it, I will curse them too.

[HI]Admit it, we have a problem. Foreign taliban coming here,[/HI] and applying *there* ideology is wrong, I understand they have problems back in Afghanistan, or in one of -stans above, like Uzbekistan, Kazakhistan, Tajikistan etc... where they have harsh secular rulers who don't follow Islam at all, but that does NOT mean we have to suffer for it! (actually they are not even applying an ideology as much as releasing their pent up frustrations on us)

[HI]I have a relative who teaches a small primary school in one of these tribal areas[/HI] (actually that one comes under PATA, not FATA), should I not be worried that one day I might hear she has been burned with acid? Why? for the *crime* of teaching those kids Alif Bey Pey?

These so called Taliban are not foreigners. They are predominantly locals.
You havent shown conclusively that the "Taliban" (a vague term you need to define) are indeed responsible for the acid attacks reported . Given the complicated sectarian, military,tribal conflict their can be any number of perpetrators.
Also given that Acid attacks are common enough it could be a jilted fiance or some other tool.It takes a leap of imagination that the TTP groups in kurrum who are now under attack on two fronts in Kurrum would take the time out to organize the fairly useless operaiton which would alienate any local support. Thats not how insurgencies work.I am sticking by my skepticism, which has repeatedly served me well.

Pointing obvious holes in a story does not make me a Taliban sympathizer or any other label you want to tar and feather me with. They are easily available detail documented atrocities of the TTP you can come up with it but they are of the boring variety lacking the spice and emotional cues that would interest the likes of CNN.
Their are far worse atrocities committed by our side which never are worthy of reporting or even posts in Siasat.pk.Given the long sordid history of deception and the underlying geopolitics you have to be at least skeptical when hearing such a vague yet extraordinary story.

You complain of me stereotyping you (which I have not) but your every post is invariably full of them. So its "crazy" Mullah. And visa grubby "western schill" even though In the last post I made it clear that there is nothing wrong with a Visa. An that in my view the primary culprits are our government and locals. So we shouldn't cook up fantastic theories of evil malicious American Zionist or even as you have of Central asian barbarians hordes defiling our innocent and pure country. Our country have caused far more destruction in Afghanistan then vice versa.

I also stick with my earlier conclusion about you. You have a limited understanding about the area and are mostly reproducing popular fairy tales popularised by ISPR and the press. Basically your entire understanding infact that of many ppl out KPK can be summarized in that atrocious movie Khuda kai liyes.You are easy to fool hence you fell earlier for the narrative on Mukhtara mai peddled by the press, which I painstakingly showed was completely fabricated. Yet you refused to even acknowledge that fact.

I also never said you are incapable of writing on another topic. That would be a ridiculous claim to make. I just was pointing out you are only concerned with a crime when it serves a certain political objective.Even on the Kashmir story you could not point out why would the BBC that has nothing to say of the mass rapes and mass graves over the LOC suddenly get concerned on the plight of that poor girl. Maybe the underlying subtext is that Azad Kashmir is an oppressive islamist hell hole worse then J&K. It also did not strike you odd that the CNN story tenuous links the Kashmir story with Afghanistan Taliban and TTP.
Not all victims are equal to them or to you.No matter what bait is thrown up you fall for it, without any processing what so ever.Never in any post have you challenged anything odd out of place, or exercise caution. An unpaid loyal propagandist.

This I elucidated on the other thread on Hina khan. On which you did not have the courage of responding after my last post which took the micky out of your earlier assertions.

Last edited:

ryzvonusef

MPA (400+ posts)
You complain of me stereotyping you (which I have not)
I also stick with my earlier conclusion about you. You have a limited understanding about the area and are mostly reproducing popular fairy tales popularised by ISPR and the press. Basically your entire understanding infact that of many ppl out KPK can be summarized in that atrocious movie Khuda kai liyes.You are easy to fool
(clap)Bravo brother, So you will NOT stereotype me...except to do in the next paragraph? Mashallah, what consistency you have!

Hint, brother, PATA (Provincially Administered Tribal Areas) is in KPK, It's like FATA (as in, tribal law and all that "ilaka ghair" stuff), except KPK govt manages it instead of Federal.

In other words, brother, I AM originally from KPK!!![hilar] Now do you feel stupid about claiming I know this all from a stupid movie (what is about anyway? I genuinely haven't watched it) and ISPR (seriously brother not every pindi-ite is affiliated with the damn army) or whatever the hell? Oh but of course, I keep my eyes close when ever I visit my village, after all, that movie has told me everything to know about KPK! [hilar]

Sorry, brother, if you can fall this sort of silly mistake, it's pointless reply to you about your other mistakes. Like the Mai one, When will you get it? I am sure you are correct (see I agree with you, hurray!(clap)) about her drama, but it has nothing to do with the supposed visa stunt claim! She was accused of doing it for a visa, it was proven false, she is still in Pakistan, the end. But still you harp on about how I *fell* for her drama, how long will I have to correct you that I wasn't talking about her drama in the first place :doh:? If you keep posting stuff that is unrelated, I will get bored and stop answering.

Btw, what Hina Khan thread? Genuinely curious, could you link it to me? I am sorry I left you hanging there, if that is really the case. I think I will finally watch that movie and borrow some courage from the ISPR to face you [hilar]