Muslim Dating: The Reality of our Ummah !!!

canadian

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Muslim Dating: The Reality of our Ummah Part 1

When people ask do Muslims date? A big chunk of Muslims will quickly respond with a Hell No! Because remember that Hadeeth about Shaytaan being the third? Ya, so of course Muslims dont date, commit adultery or drink alcohol or have gay sex or break any other Quranic tenet. Muslims are perfect angels with no faults.
But if youve lived among a large Muslim population, befriended Muslims or visited a Muslim majority country, you will learn that things are not very different than what we see here (in America) among the mainstream culture. Muslims indulge in all of these acts, but the only difference is all is done in secrecy, in a hush-hush secret alternative reality where its better to sweep your shame under the carpet than dreadfully advertise your sins.
One doesnt need to travel to the Middle East to witness the phenomenon. Take a short trip to the beautiful city of Toronto and its neighboring suburbs where a Muslim majority is present in the high school scene. You will find the percentages of Muslim individuals involved in dating, sex, drinking, drugs, etc is high, which is no different than a school with a Judeo-Christian majority.
If youve ever visited fatwa sites like Islam QA or Islamonline cyber counseling/fatwa section you will learn that our Muslim youth arent living a sin-free life. I remember a young man once wrote the site asking for advice about his problem. You see this young man, an aspiring Sheikh, was attracted to men and he didnt know how to keep his faith and battle his desires. Another girl wrote asking what to do with a man she loves and is on the verge of committing adultery with him because her practicing beautiful Muslim family wont allow her to marry him.
Young men and women write daily to these outlets asking for a solution.They grew up hearing that its haraam to do this and that, yet an alternative was never presented. And when their sins are revealed they are shunned from the community, especially if female.
I know a number of pious and well regarded youth in my community who live double lives. A simple facebook or myspace check will tell you all. Its very sad that everyone around them, including their young fellow Muslim friends, are aware of this double life but the parents are in the dark. I dont pity the parents because they CHOOSE not to understand their children. Parents assume their child would never be like so and sos bad child. But I got news for them, THEY DO and sometimes they are worse!
Some religious scholars will advise youth to fast or play sports. But in the day and age we live in , is that really enough? Has it been effective thus far? I dont think so.
I think its time for the Muslim Ummah collectively to stop turning a blind eye and face REALITY. Obviously their previous plan hasnt worked. Our Ummah collectively arent becoming more Godly but they are turning away from their religion all together. The way we deal with our children needs to change NOW.
First action item on the list: Change parental attitudes and priorities.
Muslim Dating: The Reality of our Ummah and Some Solutions Part 2

When parents eventually learn about their childs alternate reality their reaction is of one of two: 1) Overreact the situation, curse and damn child to hell, take away worldly possessions such as a phone while spitting out every Quranic verse to guilt the child to stop; 2) Deny the situation entirely and never address it. Astonishingly, the latter occurs at a much higher frequency.
Ive seen parents bow in prayer begging God to help and guide their child. Unfortunately, that is usually the extent of their effort. Waking up an hour early to pray in the wee hours of the morning isnt the solution. God doesnt help people who dont help themselves first.
Acceptance of Gender Mixing:
Humans need to socialize and interact with one another. Its part of life. Contrary to most Islamic Scholars interpretation of Islamic teachings, I believe that healthy interactions among the genders is needed to build self-esteem and healthy choices in life. I sometimes wonder why scholars emphasize the importance of community values among Muslims (Jummah, Eid, visiting the sick, keeping relations with kin), yet spend most of their time speaking of the evilness of mixing with the opposite gender and the horrors that come about.
I believe that God has commanded us to be social beings. There are no exclusions. The forms of these contacts are different in nature. Some are more intimate than others but with every relation one could discern the proper form of interaction.
Many Muslim children are raised on the notion that mixing with the opposite gender is haraam. Recently I visited friends during a dinner party. The children were separated by gender and were asked to not interact. I heard a mother tell her daughter Good little girls dont play with boys. Of course, Muslim parents arent concerned about todays innocent playdate but the future is whats on their mind. They believe if they allow their six-year old daughter to play with a little boy now, ten years later she will still want to play, but maybe more of a mature type play?
The mistake occurs the first time parents restrict interaction. Boys and girls grow up curious about the opposite gender thanks to the limited interaction they were allowed as children. However, the same standards arent into play when it comes to school, especially when they are in a public school setting. The child learns to discriminate: when he/she is at school, they are free to interact as they please, but once in the presence of a parent or a Muslim member of their community, they learn to avoid contact with the opposite gender. From here the dual-lifestyle is commenced.
When the child approaches their parent to discuss their social life at school or ask to invite a male classmate to their birthday party, they are quickly reprimanded and reminded that this is not our way (i.e. the Muslim/Arab/Asian, etc way). Soon after the child learns that certain topics arent safe to discuss with ones parent, so they turn to friends to seek advice or confide their secrets. The friends cheer on the alternate life the child creates, and as a result the parent and other community members remain in the dark.
The solution:

• Allow children to freely interact with the opposite gender in academic and social settings.
  • Teach children of both genders to work together on community service projects (brainstorm, plan, lead, etc).
  • Equip children with the interpersonal skills (how to socialize with one another, etc)
  • Teach children proper etiquette across settings
  • Encourage and reward honest and thoughtful dialogue
  • Set fair rules, be consistent, open to criticism, and follow-through when rules are broken
  • Model Godly behavior
  • Provide a safe environment free of hostility and disrespect.
Preparing Children to be Responsible Adults with Mature Goals in Life:
A group of Muslim girls getting ready to start bowling in San Francisco, 2009

When I asked a Muslim teenage friend of mine why she wanted a boyfriend, her response was honest, I want a boyfriend to buy me expensive things and take me places. Growing up as a teen in the Middle East, many of my friends sought boyfriends for the same reasons, although most wanted the relationship to end in marriage (and 99% of them never did). If I ever fancied to take on a boyfriend at the tender age of 15, my reasons would have probably been to fill the empty void in my life and the loneliness I felt.
When you ask Muslim teens today what their goals in life are, their thoughts of the world or what commitment means, they will be at loss for words. Of course this is not a Muslim phenomenon but a universal one. As Muslims though we believe that God has sent us guidance that would solve all our worldly problems and yet we arent even close to solving the Muslim youth crises. One must wonder why?
Our youth complain that religious folk dont get them. They are there to throw rules and judge them at every given moment. The rules state clearly: gender mixing of any kind is haraam; liking, loving or dating someone is haraam; any emotions towards the opposite gender is haraam; being curious is haraam; speaking about your emotions and desires to your parents is haraam and disappointing to your parents; talking OPENLY about sex is haraam; talking about what happens at school is haraam; being honest about your needs is haraam and shameful; if you are alone with the opposite gendereven in pubicthats haraam; if you want to have a friend of the opposite gender, its haraam.
The massive language and generational barrier has resulted in the mess we call today dual-identity of the Muslim youth.
Parents remind their children that all the above rules can be broken when married. So one must wait and be patient until then. Ironically, the parents do NOTHING to prepare these children for marriage, and at the same time when the child is ready to be married off they make it so difficult that marriage is almost a struggle (thats for another topic). And the cycle continues
Solution:

• Parents must accept that their children at whatever age will naturally seek a partner. This is nature at play.
  • Parents should be approachable so child can consult with them when needed (without fear).
  • Parents must work hard to raise mature children. The dilemma in todays ummah is that our children are babied forever. Lets face it, in Western communities Muslims are among the wealthiest and most educated. They seek the same for their children so they baby them. The child learns no type of responsibility growing up. Ive met countless young Muslims whove never held a real job. My question is why? Everyone has bills, even at 15!
  • Involving the child in community service, work, house chores and in decision making will expose the child to more experience, thus maturity. This should be part of the familys culture.
  • Teaching children to relieve their natural feelings through acceptable means: marriage.
  • Parents should teach their child that marriage is the only way to have a wholesome relationship with someone.
  • Liking someone is acceptable; however, the ultimate form of the relationship should be marriage (or what leads to it), nothing else. Our problem today, children are scared of marriage. We should prepare our boys and girls to be the husbands and wives of the future. Marriage isnt scary, it could be a beautiful thing when two healthy individuals are involved.
So Do Muslims Date?
My answer is yes and no.
When my non-Muslim friends ask me this question, I am often stumped. In mainstream American culture dating doesnt always lead to marriage or start off with that intent. Of course, ultimately, any couple wishes their relationship evolves to that stage, but its not necessary for the relationship to continue.
In my opinion, the getting to know someone part could be given the term dating or courtship. A person gets to know another person with the initial intent made clear: marriage.
I am often surprised at my Muslim friends who date with no intent of marriage. Why would they invest so much energy, time and emotion on someone they dont have any intention to remain with?
When we equip our Muslim youth with balanced childhood where friends are of both genders, awkwardness is absent because gender relations can take many forms like friendship (not only sex as many Islamic scholars like to emphasize). Finally: honesty, respect and Godliness are integral parts of the value system of a healthy Muslim child. I believe with all in place our youth will see the beauty in Islamic values that past generations have unintentionally destroyed in the Name of God. Amen!(http://www.zawaj.com/muslim-dating-2/)

Unicorn

Banned
Hum ko jo taney datain hain, Hum Khoi hain in rang ralion mein,

Humney un ko bhi dakha hai, chup chup atai in galion mein.

LOL

Haider2332

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Bro Canadian!

You seem to be one of those who are too much impressed by others and always see darker side of ur own community(If ur really a muslim). I also live in Western country and I know this is happening in Muslims too buttttt u can not compare the extent with other nationalities. U want muslims to be like INDAINS??? who ask their daughters to find only WHITE GUY so that their progressive image could be
shown?

Yessss parents do need to understand their children and they must not feel hesitation or fear to consult them when needed but parents can not give them licence to ************************* around. If u wana do it, go ahead with ur children and u ll get to have some mixed race grandchildren I can bet. Dont try to act a philosopher and impose ur thoughts on to others. Look at the comment b4 me, u have made one Indian happy. Congratulations :P

Peace!

canadian

Bro Canadian!

You seem to be one of those who are too much impressed by others and always see darker side of ur own community(If ur really a muslim). I also live in Western country and I know this is happening in Muslims too buttttt u can not compare the extent with other nationalities. U want muslims to be like INDAINS??? who ask their daughters to find only WHITE GUY so that their progressive image could be
shown?

Yessss parents do need to understand their children and they must not feel hesitation or fear to consult them when needed but parents can not give them licence to ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************* around. If u wana do it, go ahead with ur children and u ll get to have some mixed race grandchildren I can bet. Dont try to act a philosopher and impose ur thoughts on to others. Look at the comment b4 me, u have made one Indian happy. Congratulations :P

Peace!

Bro These are not my views.It appeared in a US Islamic Web Site and I posted the article here.You may not necessarily agree with whatever somebody posts here but at least should have the patience to listen to them.
I believe this is our national tragedy.Nobody agrees with any body.......Subb Ney Aapni Aik Ieent Ki Masjid Banai Hui Hai.....

Mughal1

Humans are physical beings or if you like biological organisms with various systems working as one in human body.

Islam is all about addressing real human problems.

Our problems is following one particular line of reasoning which lands us into sectarianism and divisions.

The right way of reasoning is a person educating oneself and training oneself in critical thinking.

It then makes one to be able to judge the data properly.

Now is time to collect data and make sense of it till one is happy with it oneself.

This is true faith and peace of mind for oneself.

Taking a defensive position is then not a wrong idea if one can really defend one's stand point by reason, arguments based on evidences explaining facts clearly.

Taking a defensive position in ignorance is dangerous because one has no idea of what is right or wrong, why or how etc.

Free thinking is necessary to reach the balanced point of view or more likely correct world view.

It is easier to defend concepts based on knowledge rather than ignorance.

Unfortunately, we do not have that wide spread education. It is better we concentrate on our this lack and se if we can turn things round.

As for the quran, no one knows it from a to z. What each learned person knows is so many bits of it that make real sense. This is why we need to listen to all scholars of every persuasion to gather all sensible things from them for ourselves.

Therefore we need to be open minded enough to realise this major point. Many people spend a whole life time in learning and may discover only a few points.

Also whoever makes a new discovery is always going to tells us something new therefore we need to be kind enough and encouraging enough to let such people speak so that a culture of exchanging new ideas freely comes about. That is exactly what will guarantee our success. Otherwise oppression and suppression of ideas will only strangle us more and more till we are finished.

This is why such mindset and attitude must be encouraged that helps us develop and make progress so that as a people we could prosper.

Last edited:

canadian

Hum ko jo taney datain hain, Hum Khoi hain in rang ralion mein,

Humney un ko bhi dakha hai, chup chup atai in galion mein.

LOL

Woh Kuch Aur Baat Hai.That's another story for some other time.Jo Kuch Bazahir Nazar Aata Hai Woh Kabhi Kabhi Nazar Ka Dhoka Hota Hai........lol[hilar]

canadian

Humans are physical beings or if you like biological organisms with various systems working as one in human body.

Our problems is following one particular line of reasoning which lands us into sectarianism and divisions.

The right way of reasoning is a person educating oneself and training oneself in critical thinking.

Now is time to collect data and make sense of it till one is happy with it oneself.

Taking a defensive position is then not a wrong idea if one can really defend one's stand point by reason, arguments based on evidences explaining facts clearly.

Taking a defensive position in ignorance is dangerous because one has no idea of what is right or wrong, why or how etc.

Free thinking is necessary to reach the balanced point of view or more likely correct world view.

Unfortunately, we do not have that wide spread education. It is better we concentrate on our this lack and se if we can turn things round.

As for the quran, no one knows it from a to z. What each learned person knows is so many bits of it that make real sense. This is why we need to listen to all scholars of every persuasion to gather all sensible things from them for ourselves.

Therefore we need to be open minded enough to realise this major point. Many people spend a whole life time in learning and may discover only a few points.

Also whoever makes a new discovery is always going to tells us something new therefore we need to be kind enough and encouraging enough to let such people speak so that a culture of exchanging new ideas freely comes about. That is exactly what will guarantee our success. Otherwise oppression and suppression of ideas will only strangle us more and more till we are finished.

This is why such mindset and attitude must be encouraged that helps us develop and make progress so that as a people we could prosper.

Very true.I fully agree.

Unicorn

Banned

Very well said

Muhammad Tauseef A. Bajwa

Senator (1k+ posts)
Muslim Dating: The Reality of our Ummah Part 1

When people ask do Muslims date? A big chunk of Muslims will quickly respond with a Hell No! Because remember that Hadeeth about Shaytaan being the third? Ya, so of course Muslims dont date, commit adultery or drink alcohol or have gay sex or break any other Quranic tenet. Muslims are perfect angels with no faults.
But if youve lived among a large Muslim population, befriended Muslims or visited a Muslim majority country, you will learn that things are not very different than what we see here (in America) among the mainstream culture. Muslims indulge in all of these acts, but the only difference is all is done in secrecy, in a hush-hush secret alternative reality where its better to sweep your shame under the carpet than dreadfully advertise your sins.
One doesnt need to travel to the Middle East to witness the phenomenon. Take a short trip to the beautiful city of Toronto and its neighboring suburbs where a Muslim majority is present in the high school scene. You will find the percentages of Muslim individuals involved in dating, sex, drinking, drugs, etc is high, which is no different than a school with a Judeo-Christian majority.
If youve ever visited fatwa sites like Islam QA or Islamonline cyber counseling/fatwa section you will learn that our Muslim youth arent living a sin-free life. I remember a young man once wrote the site asking for advice about his problem. You see this young man, an aspiring Sheikh, was attracted to men and he didnt know how to keep his faith and battle his desires. Another girl wrote asking what to do with a man she loves and is on the verge of committing adultery with him because her practicing beautiful Muslim family wont allow her to marry him.
......................................................................................................

Above is sufficient to the best of my knowledge & belief. Rest is censored!

Haider2332

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Well.....u should have at least explained that b4 this article that how much u agree or disagree with that. I advise to be very careful in choosing wht Islamic sites to visit cuz there are soo many
fake sites on the net and they are there, just to confuse and dis-heart Muslims. If u read back my first comments, I agreed with part of the article but the way it has been presented it completely wrong
and un Islamic too.
I also dont like some of the Muslim communities who are too westernised but it has become their culture now. There might be various reason to that, like, foreign rule. It doesnt mean that we should
legalise it and clear the way for those who want to live their lives according to the teaching of Islam.

AGAR JURM KA AHSAAS KHATAM HO JAYE TU JURM JURM NAHIN REHTA...............

Thats y, those who do it, must be aware of the fact that they are doing something wrong and might come back to the right path one day. Furthermore, we need to adapt to the changes to the world and
find ways to overcome the negative impact on our way of life.

Ur right to say that we dont wana listen to others views and this is our weakness. I might be one of those cuz I dont consider myself near perfect.
Sorry for harsh words.
Take care

usm100

Minister (2k+ posts)
We have to accept the fact that yes these things have started happening in our country as well. If we keep closinng our eyes and deny every thing that will never solve the problem. So i think first accept that yes the issue is there but offcourse not to the extent like western countries. But if it continues like this we will definitely reach there very soon.
The answer is not by going to the other extreme but making a balance. Normally its the state who has to deal with these things and plan them but i dont see it happenening here. We had one dictator who told all the pakistanis to become mullah for 10 years and then another came for 8 years to tell us to take off all the clothes and become westernize.

kashmiri

MPA (400+ posts)
Prophet Muhammad(Peace and Blessings be upon Him) said “If there comes to you one with whose religion and attitude you are satisfied, then give your daughter to him in marriage, for if you do not do so, fitnah and mischief will become widespread on earth.” [ A hasan hadith narrated by Tirmidhi, 2/274, Abwab al-nikah, 3; and by Ibn Majah, 1/633, Kitab al-nikah, bab al-akfa’.]

?? ??? ???? ???? ???? ?? ?????? ??? ???: ??? ?? ??? ?? ?? ????? ??????? ?? ???? ??? ???? ????? ???
??????: ???? ??? ??????

(?????? ???? ??? ????)

Last edited:

canadian

We have to accept the fact that yes these things have started happening in our country as well. If we keep closinng our eyes and deny every thing that will never solve the problem. So i think first accept that yes the issue is there but offcourse not to the extent like western countries. But if it continues like this we will definitely reach there very soon.
The answer is not by going to the other extreme but making a balance. Normally its the state who has to deal with these things and plan them but i dont see it happenening here. We had one dictator who told all the pakistanis to become mullah for 10 years and then another came for 8 years to tell us to take off all the clothes and become westernize.

The problem is that these things are happenings in Pakistan on a very large scale but the moment you mention them lot of people become abusive and use harsh language for posting seach threads.They think by closing their eyes every thing will disappear.Here in The West every thing is open weather it is good or bad.People discuss problems,analyse them,give suggestions and will appreciate you suggestions even if they dont agree with them.That's what is called an open society.I believe this is one of the reasons that these countries have progressed.

canadian

Very well said.I agree.