Is This Story About Ikram Sehgal True ?‏

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abdul Hakeem

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
THE TRUTH ABOUT IKRAM SEHGAL

I beseech all group members to read.
Ikram Sehgal is an ex-army officer.His father was also a retired Colonel who had commanded 2 East Bengal Regiment that was raised prior to 1950.The mother of Ikram Sehgal was from Bogra where as his father was from Punjab.While I was watching a talk show, Ikram sehgal had claimed that he was the first Pakistani POW to have escaped from the Indian Camp.He is now running a well-entrenched security company SMS (probably joined now by Wackenhut), acquired a reputation of a Defence Analyst and is rubbing shoulders with the high and mighty in our land of the pure.The fact of the matter is that he was not a POW but had defected to India.This is what Lt Gen (R) Kamal Matinuddin has written on pages 251-252 in Chapter 5- Military Action of his book Tragedy of Errors while covering East Bengal Regiments Rebel.
"2 East Bengal Regiment
2 East Bengal Regiment at the old palace at Joydebpur had been split into companies and platoon.A company was at Tangail, another at Mymensingh, one platoon of the third company was at Rajenderpur, and one platoon at Ghazipur.Its task was to enforce law and order.
The battalion was commanded by Lt Col Masaudul Hussain Khan an officer hailing from East Pakistan.The second-in-command was Major K.M.Safiullah, also a Bengali officer.Safiullah, recalls with pride that after March 1, (when the national assembly session had been postponed) he no longer felt obliged to remain loyal to the West Pakistan officers.He decided to support the Awami League and awaited orders from Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rehman.He goes on to narrate that after that date 2 East Bengal began to secretly join the movement od non-cooperation.When the city hoisted black flags on Pakistan's national day Safiullah recalls that in his heart of hearts he was not opposed to the fluttering of black flags on a day when he used to proudly display the crescent and star on his housetop.
On March 27, Major Safiullah told his commanding officer "We intend to go over to Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rehman you may go away if you wish or you are most welcome to join us.We can even tie you and leave you in one room to give the impression that you were not part of the mutiny. Lt Col Raquib, who had taken over from Lt Col Masaudul hasan, left the unit quietly as disloyalty was not what he had trained for. He was heard of no more.
Safiullah concentrated 2 East Bengal in Mymensingh and took an oath of allegiance to Sheikh Mujib from his troops. He broadcast a message on his regimental frequency to all those who may have been listening. "I, major Safiullah of the East bengal Regiment, have taken up arms against the Pakistan Army. If you are a Bengali, wherever you sre, take up arms with whatever you have against the Pakistanis and begin an armed resistance to liberate your country from the colonial fetters of Pakistan'.He sent Captain Aziz-ur Rehman to haluaghat to establish contact with the Indian Border Security Force Aziz met the commandant of the BSF while Safiullah met Capt Biljeet and Lt Col sinha of the Indian intelligence. The response, says safiullah, to his request was favourable. 2 East bengal was joined by three retired officers. Major Qazi Noor-uz-zaman (2nd IMA course), Captain Mati-ur-Rehman and Captain Abdul Mateen.Safiullah claims that he was able to organise of 3,000 with eight officers including Captain Sehgal who had defected from the army aviation squadron.
2 East Bengal began to ambush the Pakistani army around Mymensingh and in the vicinity of the Mahdopur forests which remained sanctuary for some time.They blew up bridges the most important being the Ranipur railway bridge across the river Ganges. The unit later moved across to India through Rajshahi, virtually intact.2 East Bengal had 4 West Pakistani officers and a few West Pakistani soldiers. All of them were killed by Safiullah's men".

It is quite evident from what General Kamal Matinuddin has written above that Ikram Sehgal's loyalty to Pakistan is very doubtful. He could not be a POW having defected.His alibi that he managed to escape from Indian captivity well before the surrender does not hold water.How he has managed to rehabilitate himself in Pakistan Army needs to be looked into.Major safiullah later on became the COAS of Bangladesh Army and retired as a Major General​

Skeptic

Siasat.pk - Blogger
I don't know about this story or Ikram Sehgal's link to it but apart from that I have felt strong anti Pakistan feeling even in the generation born after the fall of Dhaka in 1971.See the comments made by Bangladeshi guy Rizwan about Pakistan after the recent Bin Ladin incident.

bHVmt.jpg

Ahmad Hayat

I have served in East Pakistan and I have the following to state ---

1-This story has been fabricated by someone who is jealous of Ikram Sehgal.

2- I support my assertion with following facts ---

In the army companies are named after Shaheeds but in 4 Sindh (old 44 Punjab) a company is named after Major Sehgal.

Mr Ikram Sehgal is a regular speaker at National Defence University Islamabad and PAF War College.

He heads Pakistans biggest security company providing bread and butter to more than 10,000 retired soldiers and officers.

I suggest that we should not stoop to such low levels.

THE TRUTH ABOUT IKRAM SEHGAL

I beseech all group members to read.
Ikram Sehgal is an ex-army officer.His father was also a retired Colonel who had commanded 2 East Bengal Regiment that was raised prior to 1950.The mother of Ikram Sehgal was from Bogra where as his father was from Punjab.While I was watching a talk show, Ikram sehgal had claimed that he was the first Pakistani POW to have escaped from the Indian Camp.He is now running a well-entrenched security company SMS (probably joined now by Wackenhut), acquired a reputation of a Defence Analyst and is rubbing shoulders with the high and mighty in our land of the pure.The fact of the matter is that he was not a POW but had defected to India.This is what Lt Gen (R) Kamal Matinuddin has written on pages 251-252 in Chapter 5- Military Action of his book Tragedy of Errors while covering East Bengal Regiments Rebel.
"2 East Bengal Regiment
2 East Bengal Regiment at the old palace at Joydebpur had been split into companies and platoon.A company was at Tangail, another at Mymensingh, one platoon of the third company was at Rajenderpur, and one platoon at Ghazipur.Its task was to enforce law and order.
The battalion was commanded by Lt Col Masaudul Hussain Khan an officer hailing from East Pakistan.The second-in-command was Major K.M.Safiullah, also a Bengali officer.Safiullah, recalls with pride that after March 1, (when the national assembly session had been postponed) he no longer felt obliged to remain loyal to the West Pakistan officers.He decided to support the Awami League and awaited orders from Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rehman.He goes on to narrate that after that date 2 East Bengal began to secretly join the movement od non-cooperation.When the city hoisted black flags on Pakistan's national day Safiullah recalls that in his heart of hearts he was not opposed to the fluttering of black flags on a day when he used to proudly display the crescent and star on his housetop.
On March 27, Major Safiullah told his commanding officer "We intend to go over to Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rehman you may go away if you wish or you are most welcome to join us.We can even tie you and leave you in one room to give the impression that you were not part of the mutiny. Lt Col Raquib, who had taken over from Lt Col Masaudul hasan, left the unit quietly as disloyalty was not what he had trained for. He was heard of no more.
Safiullah concentrated 2 East Bengal in Mymensingh and took an oath of allegiance to Sheikh Mujib from his troops. He broadcast a message on his regimental frequency to all those who may have been listening. "I, major Safiullah of the East bengal Regiment, have taken up arms against the Pakistan Army. If you are a Bengali, wherever you sre, take up arms with whatever you have against the Pakistanis and begin an armed resistance to liberate your country from the colonial fetters of Pakistan'.He sent Captain Aziz-ur Rehman to haluaghat to establish contact with the Indian Border Security Force Aziz met the commandant of the BSF while Safiullah met Capt Biljeet and Lt Col sinha of the Indian intelligence. The response, says safiullah, to his request was favourable. 2 East bengal was joined by three retired officers. Major Qazi Noor-uz-zaman (2nd IMA course), Captain Mati-ur-Rehman and Captain Abdul Mateen.Safiullah claims that he was able to organise of 3,000 with eight officers including Captain Sehgal who had defected from the army aviation squadron.
2 East Bengal began to ambush the Pakistani army around Mymensingh and in the vicinity of the Mahdopur forests which remained sanctuary for some time.They blew up bridges the most important being the Ranipur railway bridge across the river Ganges. The unit later moved across to India through Rajshahi, virtually intact.2 East Bengal had 4 West Pakistani officers and a few West Pakistani soldiers. All of them were killed by Safiullah's men".

It is quite evident from what General Kamal Matinuddin has written above that Ikram Sehgal's loyalty to Pakistan is very doubtful. He could not be a POW having defected.His alibi that he managed to escape from Indian captivity well before the surrender does not hold water.How he has managed to rehabilitate himself in Pakistan Army needs to be looked into.Major safiullah later on became the COAS of Bangladesh Army and retired as a Major General​

rakeem

Senator (1k+ posts)
Well Sehgal is one pro-US defense analyst, the info.about Ikram Sehgal that he is half Punjabi half Bengali is something I've known, but the rest is somewhat new info..

junaid.ahsn

Well, I have a very simple argument that after 3 decades the writer is able to dig out a story which seems to be baseless on the certain grounds, firslty, he challenged the integrity of an Army who named one of its company after this former Army officer (i.e. Mr Sehgal), while other companies were named after the Shaheed (like Shabbir Shaheed and others). it seems like a personal enmity or jealousy against Mr. Sehgal who is himself a wonderful human being. its very surprising that so called as the writer called him a 'traitor' has false intentions. my dear writer please answer that why is that many of former army generals, brigadiers and colonels and non-commissioned officers are serving under him for decades. Are they all traitors. I feel sorry and regrets for any such personal attacks. and advise the writer to get the otherside of the story and than draw his conclusions, i hope he will have a different perception than.

Ahmad Hayat

A man must be judged by what he has done and demonstrated.Major Sehgal has been a Pakistani patriot and well wisher.All his writngs prove this fact.

I see pure personal venom and irrational jealousy in al that is being spread here.Calumny is not the best policy.

There are far more serious issues which confront Pakistan today.

Habib Akbar

what about bank looted by a brigadier in east Pakistan,self inflicted wounds by macho officers in east pakistan to get evacuated, nurses abandoned by a major general who became secretary general defence.all this is in bad taste and siasat pk needs to be a forum above such unparliamentary mud slinging

Ifti.Awan

I am a retired major and I was involved in Balochistan operations in 1974.Never did I see a braver man with more dash than Major Ikramul Majeed Sehgal.I remember that our commanding officer gave examples of his brilliance in our after dinner discussions.Its time that we stop this dirty character assasination.We face far more serious problems today.I hope that sanity shall prevail.This is a top class forum and we expect it to be better than this discussion.

Jamil Ansari

Ikram Sehgals defence journal has gone a long way in improving our knowledge in defence matters.He is running a resposnible security business.I am sure he pays his taxes.The army invites him as guest speaker to the NDU etc.Why such below the belt attacks.Its time that we think about maing pakistan better.

Kafeel Rao

never thought that we still live in stone age.............a man comes on this political forum with old stories spun by a yarn maker.....in other words you are implying that a man who is universally respected in this country is no good......think my Lord......one day you have to answer to Allah........is it worth it....these outdated yarns ........learn to appreciate and be graceful whoever you are....i am inclined to think that you are a person I met in Lahore......may be

SyedAAli

I am surprised that we are stooping so luck in attacking a man who is respected in this country.We have to get out of this narrow mindset.Mr Abdul Hakeem may be having some personal issues with Mr Ikram Sehgal whivh he wants to settle.Certainly this forum is not the right place to do this.what a pathetic state we live in

Sajjad.G

I am surprised that people like mr abdul hakiim are here on this forum to discuss non issues.

There are people in this world who have nothing better than discussing such fabricated issues.what a shame

Straight thing that comes to my mind is that Abdul Hakeem or whoever he is is deeply jealous of Mr Ikram Sehgal.Some personal score to settle ,some professional rivalry.Why should a man who according to this yarn is so much against pakistan should come ond live here and who has never uttered one word against Pakistan in any of his countless articles.

I am deeply hurt because I am an avid reader of Mr Ikram Sehgals articles since 1992.I have never met him but I have tremendous intellectual respect for first rate thinkers and patriots like Mr Ikram Sehgal.I am deeply hurt with this spam campaign against a great man.

Status
Not open for further replies.