Is it Market Correction or are we heading towards another recession

shamsheer

Senator (1k+ posts)
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/market-selloff-gathers-pace/article2122555/

[h=2]Market selloff gathers pace[/h]
North American markets plunged in the first full day of trading following the credit rating downgrade of the United States, as investors looked for safer bets at a time of extreme financial uncertainty.
By mid-afternoon, the Dow Jones industrial average,(DJIA-I11,033.19-411.42-3.59%)dropped 4.6 per cent, the S&P 500 (SPX-I1,145.52-53.86-4.49%) was down 5.8 per cent and the S&P/TSX Composite Index (TSX-I11,778.71-383.46-3.15%) slid 4 per cent, mirroring similar declines across Asia and Europe.

The significant declines, which follow what was already the most brutal week for global stock prices since the depths of the 2008 recession, indicate severe investor concern about the potential for a so-called double-dip recession. That concern was punctuated on Friday when credit rating agency S&P announced a downgrade of the U.S. rating from triple-A to double-A-plus the first time in modern history the U.S. has experienced such a downgrade.
The S&P decision unleashed an angry war of words between the agency and the White House, forcing both sides to take to the airwaves to defend their positions. Nonetheless, the reaction from investors seems to indicate the broader concern is with the global economic situation, rather than what is at least partially a symbolic ratings downgrade.
In an attempt to counter criticism, S&P held a teleconference Monday to further explain its decision. The agency sought to frame the downgrade as primarily related to what it sees as a polarized political environment and how it affects Washington's ability to make fiscal decisions. David Beers, S&Ps global head of sovereign ratings, specifically mentioned the extraordinary difficulty people are having in finding common ground, when it comes to U.S. fiscal policy. Indeed, S&Ps negative outlook over the next six to 24 months means the firm is not optimistic that the congressional committee charged with suggesting budget cuts will ultimately improve Washingtons situation.
According to S&P, in previous cases where a nation has lost its triple-A rating, the shortest time it took to regain that rating was nine years, and the longest was 18 years (although the firm cautioned that each case is unique).
However in terms of risk, the rating change is fairly symbolic. S&P has never seen an AA-plus nation default on its debt. As John Chambers, chairman of Standard & Poors sovereign debt committee, put it: Its like going from indigo to navy blue.
In fact, on a day when most global equity markets saw steep declines, U.S. treasuries actually rose a sign that investors are keen on safe bets during a time of uncertainty.
Despite losing its mint rating, the U.S. is extremely unlikely to default, given its enormous wealth and potential to raise tax revenue, said Sherry Cooper of BMO Capital Markets. The deep, liquid Treasury pool will still be the one investors dive into when the financial climate gets sticky.
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff took time in her speech at a signing ceremony Monday with Prime Minister Stephen Harper to criticize the downgrading of the United States' credit rating.
"We do not agree with the rush to valuation, I would even say incorrect evaluation by Standard and Poors, which reduced the credit rating of the U.S.," Ms. Rousseff said.
Mr. Harper, who is in Brazil to strengthen trade ties with the emerging global power, did not reference the downgrade, but said their discussion included the economic situation.
Around the globe, equity markets took a beating. Asian markets, including those in China, Australia, Hong Kong and Japan, all ended Monday trading down. Tokyos Nikkei average dropped more than 2 per cent on the day, while the Shanghai Composite dropped almost 4 per cent.
European markets were mixed in early Monday trading. After a brief morning rally, fears of a so-called double-dip recession sent the FTSE 100 skidding and it closed down 3.4 per cent in London.

Question: Does any body know who run the affairs of SAP rating organization?

A.Ali.T

Minister (2k+ posts)
Standard & Poor's is a division of McGraw-Hill Publishing Company. Hope this helps.

shamsheer

Senator (1k+ posts)
Standard & Poor's is a division of McGraw-Hill Publishing Company. Hope this helps.

Is it a private organization? Who can influence their work? Apparently US is not happy with their work, wondering how is it possible that they downgraded US rating.

A.Ali.T

Minister (2k+ posts)
Is it a private organization? Who can influence their work? Apparently US is not happy with their work, wondering how is it possible that they downgraded US rating.

It is a publically owned corporation, traded on NYSE. It is the most reputed rating company, they have to maintain their integrity. If they don't operate honestly no one is going to trust them in future.

asmpk

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Bro Biomat,

I could not understand why a person like you, is unable to grasp the reality behind the physical scences.

As per my understanding is:

It's almost 100 years back (the world war I i.e. 1914 - 1918) when British defeated Ottoman Empire; Pax Britannica ruled the world and Pound sterling was international currency. When Dajjal entered in its second stage; 'Pax Britannica' paved the way for 'Pax Americana' and US ruled the world with US Dollar as international currency.

Note: All these shifting of power from one country to another country took after massive human deaths i.e. World Wars I & II

Dajjal is about to enter in it's third stage. US try to save whatever she can do; but she must has to pave the way for 'Pax Judaica' so that Israel can rule the world with new international currency which would be 'CASHLESS ELECTRONIC TRANSACTIONS'.
And this would happen after US Dollar collapses and so big wars to take place near future.

It is then when Dajjal finish his 3rd stage; he will appear in human form; in Jerusalem; and will bring back Gold and Silver coins, giving world the message, that he is a Just ruler and he is the Saviour of humans.
So not only the whole wolrd will embrace him but many Muslims will fall in his trap thinking that this
is Hazrat Issa, as he has introduced Riba free economic system. Its is then when he will said I AM THE GOD...

I hope so undertand how and where the system is going.