Can someone tell me what was the total vote count in karachi for mqm in 2008 general elections?

Khurram.k

Senator (1k+ posts)
not for a particular constituency but the over all vote count in karachi for MQM ....anyone with this info ?

Aijazahmed

Minister (2k+ posts)
not for a particular constituency but the over all vote count in karachi for MQM ....anyone with this info ?
For NA, approximately 25 lakhs in total only for MQM. I think that includes Hyderabad also. But this is from only those constituencies where they won. I don't know how much they got where they lost the elections. They lost three in karachi and one in Hyderabad. I think they also lost every seat in enterior Sindh, but still they got votes there.

Khurram.k

Senator (1k+ posts)
no offence but how does MQM claim karachi to be only their city ( empower) with 250,000 votes when Karachi's population is over 180,00000 ? is it safe to say that besides couple hundred thousand other votes for other parties.... about 150,00000 people are either anti political parties or are scared to vote for anyone else besides MQM ? unless of course they are pathans or live in those areas where they don't feel threatened .If that's not the case and MQM has 95% of karachi's mandate , why such a low vote count ? and mind you as per info I counted all 250,000 votes towards Karachi to avoid any discrepancy on the only 3 lost seats.avor Hence counted all Hyderabad's vote in karachi's favor too . in reality though if we discounted Hyderabad's vote , say just 500,000. turn around of MQM votes come out to 200,000. why ?

YAHYA87

Senator (1k+ posts)
no offence but how does MQM claim karachi to be only their city ( empower) with 250,000 votes when Karachi's population is over 180,00000 ? is it safe to say that besides couple hundred thousand other votes for other parties.... about 150,00000 people are either anti political parties or are scared to vote for anyone else besides MQM ? unless of course they are pathans or live in those areas where they don't feel threatened .If that's not the case and MQM has 95% of karachi's mandate , why such a low vote count ? and mind you as per info I counted all 250,000 votes towards Karachi to avoid any discrepancy on the only 3 lost seats.avor Hence counted all Hyderabad's vote in karachi's favor too . in reality though if we discounted Hyderabad's vote , say just 500,000. turn around of MQM votes come out to 200,000. why ?

Lame efforts but this figure of 250000 votes or close to that were actually from one of Nazimabad seat which MQM won by record number of votes in whole election 2008 while actual votes of MQM cant be counted like that....to give you some clue of their election was that MQM increased their VOTE BANK UP TO 35% FROM PREVIOUS ELECTION HELD IN 2002....This is what I could say because this number of Votes which was mentioned by Aijaz were of ONLY ONE SEAT not from whole Karachi because MQM able to got near 100000 from all their confirmed seats...even 50000+ votes were of Khushbakht Shujaat as well and 70000+ votes of Farooq Sattar even Hyder Abbas Rizvi(from my own constituency) able to get more then 5-60000+ votes....So do me a favor instead of creating new reasons to bash MQM first go and check statistics yourself instead of relying on anyone here because no one would able to provide accurate answers then Election commission of Pakistan....

Spartacus

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)

MQM is very lucky ....because most of haters of MQM possesses poor political and statistical knowledge.... like Mr.Khurram.k

Khurram.k

Senator (1k+ posts)
Lame efforts but this figure of 250000 votes or close to that were actually from one of Nazimabad seat which MQM won by record number of votes in whole election 2008 while actual votes of MQM cant be counted like that....to give you some clue of their election was that MQM increased their VOTE BANK UP TO 35% FROM PREVIOUS ELECTION HELD IN 2002....This is what I could say because this number of Votes which was mentioned by Aijaz were of ONLY ONE SEAT not from whole Karachi because MQM able to got near 100000 from all their confirmed seats...even 50000+ votes were of Khushbakht Shujaat as well and 70000+ votes of Farooq Sattar even Hyder Abbas Rizvi(from my own constituency) able to get more then 5-60000+ votes....So do me a favor instead of creating new reasons to bash MQM first go and check statistics yourself instead of relying on anyone here because no one would able to provide accurate answers then Election commission of Pakistan....
Sir lame yahya , that's why I asked that question first and a fellow MQMer provided that info above.

Khurram.k

Senator (1k+ posts)
also why is it that you guys so offensive if anyone ask a question ? almost the attitude ,like "how dare you" ...what's all this about ?

YAHYA87

Senator (1k+ posts)
Sir lame yahya , that's why I asked that question first and a fellow MQMer provided that info above.
The lame try was that Aijaz Bhai said 25lakhs which makes 2,500,000 votes while you are quoting it 250,000 votes now tell me wasnt was the lamest part of bashing MQM???just a game of zero and you blew it up and BTW what is the Voters turnover in other parts of Pakistan from which you expect to get votes from???nothing more then 25-35% people vote so same thing here but that doesnt mean that those who dont vote dont support MQM as the matter of fact people in Karachi vote MQM because of their Middle Class, educated and good governance outlooks so in Karachi instead of MQM basher's percieved Ethnic outlooks so if someone take that advantage away from MQM then the story could be different but currently the reason behind MQM is their Middle Class, Education and sense of good governance...

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
The lame try was that Aijaz Bhai said 25lakhs which makes 2,500,000 votes while you are quoting it 250,000 votes now tell me wasnt was the lamest part of bashing MQM???just a game of zero and you blew it up and BTW what is the Voters turnover in other parts of Pakistan from which you expect to get votes from???nothing more then 25-35% people vote so same thing here but that doesnt mean that those who dont vote dont support MQM as the matter of fact people in Karachi vote MQM because of their Middle Class, educated and good governance outlooks so in Karachi instead of MQM basher's percieved Ethnic outlooks so if someone take that advantage away from MQM then the story could be different but currently the reason behind MQM is their Middle Class, Education and sense of good governance...

So what, he left out a zero or two? I make typo all the time.

Yahya beta! There is a better way to correct people

Khurram.k

Senator (1k+ posts)

Alright genious , here are the actual number. Total valid vote count in 2008 NA general elections in sindh was 8411541 and you are telling me 2500000 was from just Nazimabad in MQM's favor? you asked me to research .... I am sorry to disappoint you that I did just that . look for yourself ...others are welcome too. http://www.ecp.gov.pk/content/NA_turnout.pdf
Also this discussion was not about bashing MQM , I was just tryina make sense of what I see and hear from the MQMers in different talk shows. Unfortunately you made it an anti MQM discussion yourself. I didn't talk about any killings or PTI or I J I or PML ....was a general question that you turned into a different debate. Now according to your numbers about 35% of sindh votes came from Nazimabad ...does it really take a genius ?
Why everyone has this attitude of " I / we can never be wrong"?

Khurram.k

Senator (1k+ posts)

acha jee....zero ki ghalti ho gayee....if I was referring to someone above that obviously meant it was a typo . Common sense isn't very common I guess. also ...karachi's population is 18 karor. how does MQM has Karachi's mandate with 25 lakh votes ? now I am bashing . Answer please !

Aijazahmed

Minister (2k+ posts)
Khurram Dear:
I can understand the motive of your thread. You want to prove that MQM is not popular in that extent what is being portrayed by MQMers. Right?

First of all I have figured out that you and Yahya are struggling with the numbers. To remove this confusion, I have got the data for 2008 election results from Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) web site. ECP is the most authentic and official source for the numbers of elections results. All the political parties and the people of Pakistan accepted their numbers and based on those figures the current govt. was formed. In our discussion there shouldn’t be any issue regarding ECP results. Fair enough?

Now look at the following source where I got the data from.

sources:http://www2.ecp.gov.pk/vsite/ElectionResult/AllResults.aspx?assemblyid=NA

According to that in Karachi’s 20 NA seats MQM received around 23 lakhs votes. I did not include any Hyderabad seat results here. This is only of Karachi because you asked for it.

Now your argument is that out of 1.8 crore population, if MQM gets only appr. 23 lakhs votes then how come they can claim they are the most popular party in the city?

Answer to that, please consider the following:

1- You have provided me that the population of Karachi is 1.8 cror. I accept it. Now come to the point. This is the fact that about 20% of the population has no right to vote in Karachi. This 20% may be voters of another city, visitors, illegal immigrants etc.etc. We have to subtract this 20% from 1.8 crore , then we get the number about 1 crore 40 lakhs. So it is established now that the population of Karachi is 1.4 crore for election purposes.

2- In all over Pakistan the 40% population is under the age of 16 years and they can not vote. So does in Karachi. If we subtract this 40% out of 1.4 crore, the number would be 84 lakhs. Now we come up with the voting population of Karachi is 84 lakhs.

3- According to ECP, the total voters turn out in Sindh was 44%. If we apply this number on Karachi also then out of 84 lakhs only 37 lakhs voters casted their votes in Karachi.

4- Now come to MQM votes. Out of these 37 lakhs, MQM received 23 lakhs that is 62% of the total cast votes.

5- Did any other party receive votes more than 62% in Karachi? No. So MQM is the most popular party in Karachi, it is proven now.
6-Out of 20 NA seats, MQM won 17 seats (85%), this is another proof of MQM's popularity.

Please note, these are all facts and I did not distort any number. It is all available in ECP, and govt. of Pakistan web sites. They are doing all the planning based on these data. If these data is not accurate then nothing is accurate in Pakistan and MQM is not responsible for that. Please consult to ECP in this regard, until then we have to take their numbers authentic.

Any other concern? Please ask, I will try my best to satisfy your disturbed soul. LOL.
Thanks
God Bless you.

Last edited:

Star Gazer

Khurram Dear:
I can understand the motive of your thread. You want to prove that MQM is not popular in that extent what is being portrayed by MQMers. Right?

First of all I have figured out that you and Yahya are struggling with the numbers. To remove this confusion, I have got the data for 2008 election results from Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) web site. ECP is the most authentic and official source for the numbers of elections results. All the political parties and the people of Pakistan accepted their numbers and based on those figures the current govt. was formed. In our discussion there shouldn’t be any issue regarding ECP results. Fair enough?

Now look at the following source where I got the data from.

sources:http://www2.ecp.gov.pk/vsite/ElectionResult/AllResults.aspx?assemblyid=NA

According to that in Karachi’s 20 NA seats MQM received around 23 lakhs votes. I did not include any Hyderabad seat results here. This is only of Karachi because you asked for it.

Now your argument is that out of 1.8 crore population, if MQM gets only appr. 23 lakhs votes then how come they can claim they are the most popular party in the city?

Answer to that, please consider the following:

1- You have provided me that the population of Karachi is 1.8 cror. I accept it. Now come to the point. This is the fact that about 20% of the population has no right to vote in Karachi. This 20% may be voters of another city, visitors, illegal immigrants etc.etc. We have to subtract this 20% from 1.8 crore , then we get the number about 1 crore 40 lakhs. So it is established now that the population of Karachi is 1.4 crore for election purposes.

2- In all over Pakistan the 40% population is under the age of 16 years and they can not vote. So does in Karachi. If we subtract this 40% out of 1.4 crore, the number would be 84 lakhs. Now we come up with the voting population of Karachi is 84 lakhs.

3- According to ECP, the total voters turn out in Sindh was 44%. If we apply this number on Karachi also then out of 84 lakhs only 37 lakhs voters casted their votes in Karachi.

4- Now come to MQM votes. Out of these 37 lakhs, MQM received 23 lakhs that is 62% of the total cast votes.

5- Did any other party receive votes more than 62% in Karachi? No. So MQM is the most popular party in Karachi, it is proven now.
6-Out of 20 NA seats, MQM won 17 seats (85%), this is another proof of MQM's popularity.

Please note, these are all facts and I did not distort any number. It is all available in ECP, and govt. of Pakistan web sites. They are doing all the planning based on these data. If these data is not accurate then nothing is accurate in Pakistan and MQM is not responsible for that. Please consult to ECP in this regard, until then we have to take their numbers authentic.

Any other concern? Please ask, I will try my best to satisfy your disturbed soul. LOL.
Thanks
God Bless you.

The actual vote bank with reference to the population of Karachi is 25%, the subtractions are very statistical but if you are interested to know how many people follow mqm then you should count the total polpulation because whoever wins has to /should represent the total population.

mehwish_ali

خرم بھائی ایک اچھا پاک ستھرے ذہن کے مالک ہیں اور میں نے کبھی انہیں متحدہ کے خلاف زیادتی والی بات کرتے نہیں دیکھا۔

خرم بھائی، مجھے آپ کے سوال کے جواب کا تو علم نہیں کیونکہ میں نے اس کبھی تحقیق نہیں کی، مگر پھر بھی اس معاملے میں میں کہوں گی کہ:۔

۔۱۔ صرف متحدہ ہی کے نہیں، بلکہ ہر صورت آپ کراچی میں اے این پی، جماعت اسلامی اور پیپلز پارٹی کے ووٹوں کو بھی کاؤنٹ کیجئے۔

۔۲۔ الیکشنز میں ووٹرز کی شرح صرف پچاس فیصد تک رہتی ہے۔ بقیہ پچاس فیصد کے پاس وقت نہیں ہوتا، یا لمبی لمبی لائنوں میں کھڑا ہونے کی کوئی خواہش نہیں ہوتی، اور خاص طور پر ان علاقوں میں جہاں انہیں پہلے سے ہی علم ہو کہ متحدہ کو اتنی واضح اکثریت حاصل ہے کہ انہوں نے جیت ہی جانا ہے اور مخالفین کی ضمانتیں تک ضبط ہو ہی جانی ہیں۔

یہ وہ سوچ ہے جس کے بعد لوگ ووٹ ڈالنے نہیں نکلتے۔

سب سے زیادہ ووٹرز کا ٹرن آؤٹ ہوتا ہے ایسے حلقوں میں جہاں مقابلے کانٹے دار ہو اور ووٹر کو احساس ہو کہ اس کے ووٹ کی اہمیت ہے اور ذرا سی سستی و بداحتیاطی نتائج کو بدل سکتی ہے۔

۔۳۔ چنانچہ آپ کراچی میں صرف متحدہ کے ووٹ کی تعداد کو نہ دیکھیں، بلکہ اسکا موازنہ اے این پی، جماعت اور پیپلز پارٹی سے بھی کریں اور صرف اسکے بعد آپ کسی صحیح نتیجے پر پہنچ پائیں گے کیونکہ اے این پی اور جماعت اورر پیپلز پارٹی کو ملا کر بھی پچیس لاکھ کے مقابلے میں چار پانچ لاکھ ووٹ بھی نہیں ملے ہوں گے۔

چنانچہ جہاں تک صرف ووٹوں کی بات ہے، تو پچیس لاکھ کی نسبت تین یا چار یا پانچ لاکھ کے مجموعی ووٹوں کی کیا حیثیت ہے؟ اگر مخالفین کے مجموعی ووٹ مل کر بھی کہیں متحدہ کے پچیس لاکھ ووٹوں کے قریب پہنچ پاتے تو شاید پھر بھی کوئی بات کی جا سکتی تھی۔ مگر یہ حقیقت ہے کہ کراچی میں 80 فیصد تک ووٹرز کی تعداد متحدہ کی ہے اور وہ اس معاملے میں غلط نہیں کہتی۔

NO FEAR

Banned
Believe me ,If free and fare elections held in Karachi in which Ghunda Gardi and badmashi not allowed , then MQM can only take 8-9 seats out of 20 seats of Karachi.