Pakistan has a silent suicide problem

knowledge88

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Between 15 to 35 people end their lives in Pakistan every day.

That's as high as one person every hour.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimated that in 2012, the rate of suicide in Pakistan was 7.5 per 100,000 people. In other words, around 13,000 people killed themselves that year.

In 2016, the estimate was 2.9 per 100,000 i.e. over 5,500 ended their lives. Experts say the number of people dying is likely somewhere between the two figures, but the truth remains hidden.

This project hopes to end the silence by giving those who have suffered space to share their stories; by providing expert commentary and by providing access to a few resources the country has to offer those seeking help.

Trigger warning: The content that follows contains stories of suicide and suicide attempts, which may trigger some readers. Please proceed with caution and contact your mental health advisor in case of a crisis.

Suicide survey
To better understand the trends and context surrounding suicide in Pakistan, Dawn.com published an online survey in December 2018, asking respondents to anonymously share their views and stories about suicide. The non-scientific survey was published on the website and shared on social media, reflecting views of a segment of Dawn.com's readership, as captured in the respondent demographics outlined below.

The responses — 5,157 in total — provide a unique starting point to exploring the issue.

A few findings include:

• 38% of respondents said they personally know someone who has taken their own life.
  • 43% said they personally know someone who has attempted suicide.
  • 45% said they have thought about suicide but never acted on it.
  • 9% said they have tried to end their lives.

1. RESPONDENT DEMOGRAPHICS
A majority of those who took the survey are between 18-40 years old, male (72%), and from the three major cities.

2. DO YOU PERSONALLY KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS TAKEN THEIR OWN LIFE?
38% of total respondents said they knew someone who has taken their own life.

3. DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS ATTEMPTED SUICIDE AND SURVIVED?
Over 40% said they knew someone who had survived a suicide attempt.

5cf0d3e0387d3.png

4. HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO END YOUR LIFE OR THOUGHT ABOUT ENDING YOUR LIFE?
Respondents were evenly divided between those who have tried or thought of suicide, and those who have not. An additional 9% said they have tried to take their life.

5cf0d5dd36e56.png

5. HAS SOMEONE EVER SPOKEN TO YOU ABOUT HAVING SUICIDAL THOUGHTS?
45% said they have had someone speak to them about feeling suicidal.

5cf0d70da58f3.png

6. TO WHAT DEGREE MIGHT THE BELOW CAUSES LEAD SOMEONE TO COMMIT SUICIDE?
Over half of respondents considered mental illness and financial troubles as 'high likelihood' reasons for suicide. Divorce was seen as having the lowest likelihood of resulting in suicide.

5d2d563cba936.png

7. WHICH OF THE BELOW DESCRIBE YOUR OPINION OF SUICIDE? SELECT ALL THAT APPLY.
A low 8% of respondents considered suicide an immoral act. However, almost a quarter considered it a sign of weakness. The most common opinion was that suicide is, 'A way to escape pain'.

5cf0e3753f346.png

8. WHAT BARRIERS PREVENT A SUICIDAL PERSON FROM SEEKING HELP? CHECK ALL THAT APPLY.
The two barriers to seeking help that ranked highest are, 'Feeling like nothing will help' and, 'Lack of social support', followed closely by, 'Embarrassment or social stigma'.

5cecd90abf8b8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
Unless there is a mental health issue I have no sympathy for any of these losers. Because majority of it because of some Indian movie inspired love story or some financial difficulty.

Zinda_Rood

Minister (2k+ posts)
Any person who commits suicide has mental health issues.
محترم۔۔ پہلے تو آپ یہ ثابت کریں کہ خودکشی کرنا کوئی غلط کام ہے۔۔۔ انسان اس دنیا میں اپنی مرضی سے نہیں آتا۔۔ مگر اس دنیا کو اپنی مرضی سے چھوڑنے کا اسے پورا حق ہے۔۔۔ کیا ضروری ہے کہ انسان تب تک انتظار کرتا رہے، جب تک کوئی بیماری، کوئی حادثہ یا پھر بڑھاپا اس کو ختم نہ کردے۔۔۔؟؟؟

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
Any person who commits suicide has mental health issues.
Lame argument, like that we can say any person who commits murder also has mental health issues, while to some extent that might even be true but does not mean everyone should be let go citing insanity.

There is only 1

کیا اہل دہریت کے نزدیک ، انسان پر اس کے خاندان وغیرہ کا کوئی حق نہیں ہوتا؟

محترم۔۔ پہلے تو آپ یہ ثابت کریں کہ خودکشی کرنا کوئی غلط کام ہے۔۔۔ انسان اس دنیا میں اپنی مرضی سے نہیں آتا۔۔ مگر اس دنیا کو اپنی مرضی سے چھوڑنے کا اسے پورا حق ہے۔۔۔ کیا ضروری ہے کہ انسان تب تک انتظار کرتا رہے، جب تک کوئی بیماری، کوئی حادثہ یا پھر بڑھاپا اس کو ختم نہ کردے۔۔۔؟؟؟

knowledge88

Lame argument, like that we can say any person who commits murder also has mental health issues, while to some extent that might even be true but does not mean everyone should be let go citing insanity.
Tell you the truth with the arguments you have given me, I am worried about you.

thinking

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
That's the issue in Pakistan.No body taking serious toward Thiers children mentle health...Peoples feels shy to be share thiers negative thoughts or suicidal thoughts..Pressure from the family..un healthy environment..no future.these leads to youths taking drugs or suicide.. Secondly..We are the Nation.. which is Hypocrite Spiritually.Morally becoz of Mafias ruled us since three decades...If you advise some body to seek mentle health support..he will reply you.that he is not a Pagal or mad..

knowledge88

A person doesn't come into this world by his choice but does bring person(s) to this world by his choice. Is it OK to stop providing shelter to them and leave them in pain ?

A person doesn't come into this world by his choice but leaving the world could create such excruciating pain to the love ones that every moment of their lives can become hell, Is it OK to provide such pain by that person to his love ones by leaving them ?

Lastly , how would you feel if God forbid a love ones of yours does so. Would you just say ,
He/she left with his own choice , so no problem ? I would like to know your answer to this question.

knowledge88

Well you are a phen di sirri mureed, so I already know you are suffering from stunted mental growth. Because no one sane can be his mureed.
God, the more I read your posts the more I am worried about you.
This is what I want you to do.
Please stay with your love ones.
Life is not useless, It can be beautiful.
You need to watch something which could make you laugh. Here is a suggestion.
Why don't you watch Faisal Vawda's speeches to bring smile to your face, that will take your mind off suicide for a few minutes.

ejunooni

MPA (400+ posts)
Unless there is a mental health issue I have no sympathy for any of these losers. Because majority of it because of some Indian movie inspired love story or some financial difficulty.

People struggle with a lot of situations in life be it love, finances, family or whatever. Not everyone is capable of coping with stressful situations. Nobody needs your sympathy. Keep it to yourself. Loser.

Citizen X

President (40k+ posts)
People struggle with a lot of situations in life be it love, finances, family or whatever. Not everyone is capable of coping with stressful situations. Nobody needs your sympathy. Keep it to yourself. Loser.
That is because they don't have faith in the Almighty. Tawakul Allah. Who doesn't have problems in his or her life. This life is a test and tests arn't meant to be easy. And Allah also says he does not burden anyone more than one can bear. Its only the losers who buckle and quit.

Iconoclast

God, the more I read your posts the more I am worried about you.
This is what I want you to do.
Please stay with your love ones.
Life is not useless, It can be beautiful.
You need to watch something which could make you laugh. Here is a suggestion.
Why don't you watch Faisal Vawda's speeches to bring smile to your face, that will take your mind off suicide for a few minutes.
Nawww man nothing is funnier than your moli's temper tantrums.