Then they came for us. (ISI intimidation tactics)

awan4ever

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
The writer is a lawyer based in Islamabad.

The pall of gloom, anger and despondency in Pakistan has deepened with Saleem Shahzads gruesome murder. If the past is any guide, we will neither discover verifiable facts about his murder, nor will his killers be brought to justice. But let us revisit what we do know. Saleem Shahzad was called in by the ISI in October last year to discuss a story that he had filed for Asia Times Online and felt that he had received a muffled threat. He shared the details with his family, employers and some friends, including Human Rights Watch. Shahzad had written the first part of a story this past week suggesting that Al-Qaeda/Taliban had infiltrated the navy and the attack on PNS Mehran was a consequence of efforts to weed them out. Shahzad was abducted from a high-security zone in Islamabad while he was on his way to participation in a TV talk show. He was tortured to death and his body dumped in the canal close to Rasool Barrage a couple of days later.

Who could have abducted a journalist from one of the most fortified areas of Islamabad? If all this was the handiwork of Al-Qaeda/Taliban, why did they not make demands in return for his release, as they often do? If they didnt abduct him for ransom or barter, why did they not claim credit for his assassination? Why did they not hold him out as an example for others they see as enemies or double agents, rather than silently dumping his tortured body, followed by an anonymous burial in Mandi Bahhauddin? Was the local representative of Human Rights Watch conspiring with Al-Qaeda and their foreign patrons when (according to reported conversations with interlocutors) he disclosed that Shahzad was being held by the ISI and would be released soon? Shahzad feared for his life and had pointed fingers. Should we simply disregard his account now that he is dead?

No terror group has claimed responsibility for Shahzads murder. But the ISI has denied involvement in his torture and killing, and resolved to leave no stone unturned in helping bring the perpetrators of this heinous crime to justice. Let us assume that the ISI is being truthful here. How did we come to this pass where our leading intelligence agency is the prime suspect in the brutal murder of a journalist and, conscious of such a perception, feels obliged to issue a contradiction? Was Umar Cheema of The News really tortured by spooks or did he just imagine security personnel shaving his head? Was Kamran Shafis house never attacked? Is there some bright line rule that people will be roughed up but not killed? Or are the countless reported episodes of intelligence personnel intimidating journalists all lies? Has the US-Indian-Israeli nexus successfully manipulated the minds of our media and intelligentsia? Is this the best explanation for the suspicion that segments of our national security apparatus arouse?

Back in January 2010, I wrote about reforming khakis. I had endeavoured to identify multiple facets of the khaki mindset, as I understood them. The first is an undaunted sense of righteousness, I had argued. This indoctrinates the military with the belief that its vision and definition of national security and national interest is the perennial manifestation of wisdom and truth. Any involvement of civilians with matters deemed to fall within the domain of national security is seen as unwarranted interference and an affront to its interests. This protective sense encourages the military to guard its proclaimed territory as a fief. The second facet of the khaki mindset is the militarys saviour instinct. Despite being a non-representative institution, the military has assigned to itself the role of deciphering aspirations of Pakistanis and protecting them. And the most insidious facet of this mindset is the unstated sense of being above the law that binds ordinary citizens.

Consequently, I was invited to the ISI headquarter to meet with a brigadier who looked after internal security. I was offered a tea break while being informed that people within the GHQ had taken offence at my article. The brigadier read out objectionable excerpts from my article back to me and read from hand scribbled notes that spread over half-a-dozen pages to educate me on how I was wrong. He spoke for about 45 minutes before I sought permission to interrupt his speech and engage in a dialogue. At some point in this conversation he told me quite categorically that the army was more patriotic than the rest of us!

I wasnt directly threatened at any point. However, I was informed, as a matter of historical record, that there was a time when the agency dealt with people only with the stick; but now things were different. During the meeting I felt obliged to reiterate my fidelity and loyalty to my country and was later ashamed and angry with myself for doing so.

I did not walk away from the ISI headquarters with a sense that this was another free exchange of ideas with a state official who disagreed with my opinion on how best to secure our national interest. In what is hard to describe accurately, I felt an eerie sense of anxiety and a need to protect my back. Not from the Taliban or terror groups but from the same security apparatus that is mandated by law to protect and defend my constitutional right to life, liberty and physical security.

The narration of this personal experience is important in Saleem Shahzads context because it is not an isolated one. Others within the media and civil society have had similar exchanges.

The ISI statement on Saleem Shahzads murder acknowledges his meeting with officials of the ISIs Information Management Wing and asserts that it is part of the Wings mandate to remain in touch with the journalist community...the main objective behind all such interactions is provision of accurate information on matters of national security. From where does the ISI derive this entitlement to summon journalists, seek details of their sources or question their views? Is viewpoint censorship a part of our national security doctrine that the ISI is mandated to enforce? Does Article 19A of our Constitution not declare that access to information is a fundamental human right? Does Article 19 not endow citizens with freedom of speech and expression? And does Article 9 not guarantee the right to life and liberty? Should access to information and the right to hold and express an opinion be curtailed through intimidation? What kind of Animal Farm have we reduced this country to where exercising ones right to free speech and information extinguishes the right to life?

Notwithstanding the legality or desirability of censorship, a shrinking world and superior technology have made it extremely hard to kill information or ideas, if not people. You cannot sell a terrible product on the back of a vigorous marketing campaign that relies largely on tyranny. More and more citizens are questioning Pakistans national security policy because they worry about the direction in which it is pushing this country. It is not allegiance to an enemy but the love for their homeland and concern for their future, and that of their kids, that motivates them to demand course correction.

There is one mother who spoils her kids rotten. And there is another who disciplines them, grooms them, and nurtures their character by teaching them to distinguish right from wrong. Both these mothers are acting out of love. But only the second is being constructive. This is time for all Pakistanis, and especially the more thoughtful ones within the security establishment, to engage in introspection instead of snapping at anyone holding the mirror to them.

http://thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=50758&Cat=9&dt=6/4/2011

Unicorn

Banned
If the propaganda of Army does not work to keep their subjects in line the will use stick, they have proven over and over.

Every country has an Army, Pakistani Army has a country.

I can't believe how many Indian agents there are in Pakistan, its nice.

victim

MPA (400+ posts)
No body is above law. It's high time a line should be drawn. Law should be changed so that every army personal could be prosecuted under the civil courts. Army budget should be discussed & passed in the parliment.

sam123

Banned
Another attempt to defame ISI. Your signature tells ur intentions.

Freedom of speech is right of every citizen..........according to your definition :90% of pakistanis will be made traitors..

we dont want our army to have pakistan,we want pakistan to have an army who only excels in combat battles,not in running business ,politics and foreign policy

Safarmai

MPA (400+ posts)
Pakistan and India desperately need to reduce population. They need WAR.
Its an opinion not prediction.
Last year 2010 pakistan try it with flood but it did not help, after flood few died no help. Earthquake no help.

During 2005 or 2006 i read a news in jang internet version. I don't remember was it FED or Punjab gov, but they put tender notice to deepen and clean the canals of pakistan. A chinese firm responded, but demanded to process sand to find gold and minerals for themselves. Pak or punjab gov did not allow it, so no one deepen or cleanse the rivers/canals. Pakistanis found out there is gold in river beds they did not allow, even to chinese.
I don't know the rest............. if someone know about cleaning project please write.

Last edited:

awan4ever

How dumb can a person be, agar ISI ko marna he tha tuu buhat se tarekay thay, they won't do such a thing, clearly work of anti-ISI and everyone knows who they are, so stop WASTING YOUR TIME.

Aik teer say kaafi shikaar.
Kill one and send a potent message to the rest.

I guess you never heard of that tactic before, but I assure you it exists.

rana14801

Senator (1k+ posts)
Freedom of speech is right of every citizen..........according to your definition :90% of pakistanis will be made traitors..

we dont want our army to have pakistan,we want pakistan to have an army who only excels in combat battles,not in running business ,politics and foreign policy
yes people working in ISI r as good patriots as any one else may be more bcos they know the facts more than common men.they r like any other country agecy working for the interest of Pakistan. u make ur parliament with absolute patriots which carries no tax CHORE,no drinkers,no fake degree holders,no hooligans,no ZANY and no immortals we shall trust the rule of parliament and salute them.i can assure u that Army will never interfare into country's affairs except defending its borders or acting on orders of the govt. u know well about the quality of parliamentarians. u after reading an article posted by a fool started criticizing our agency by whome all our enemies r afraid off.thus u r supporting our enemies indirectly.ask this idiot awan 4 ever who posted this, from where he got such evidence? why US is so interested in the case of Salim Shehzad? was he working for their interests? was he a super human than all other who get killed here? when it comes to freedom of speech or right to access the information,yes it is the right of every one but our right ends where there is clash with our national interest.it is duty of agencies to keep an eye on people who work against the interest of our Pak land. plz think what all i have said.

awan4ever

u make ur parliament with absolute patriots which carries no tax CHORE,no drinkers,no fake degree holders,no hooligans,no ZANY and no immortals we shall trust the rule of parliament and salute them

You make the Army generals that way and the Army will itself stop interfering in civil affairs.

u know well about the quality of parliamentarians.

We also know well the quality of our defenders now, after looking at the internal security situation of our land.

u after reading an article posted by a fool started criticizing our agency by whome all our enemies r afraid off.thus u r supporting our enemies indirectly.

Is the agency above criticism? Is it above accountability? Is it above the law?
How many times do you accuse the CIA/MOSSAD/RAW of doing something and bring conclusive proof to support your claims?
Why does asking for accountabilty of ANY tax payer funded institution make anyone 'an indirect supporter of the enemy'?

ask this idiot awan 4 ever who posted this, from where he got such evidence? why US is so interested in the case of Salim Shehzad? was he working for their interests? was he a super human than all other who get killed here?

If you were any more stupid you would be a potted plant. This is a news article and Saleem Shehzad had officially contacted HRW Pakistan after being called in by the ISI and threatened to stop investigating the PNS Mehran incident. HE told fellow reporters and media personnel who are agreeing with HRWs report. You should ask someone to read you the newspaper in the morning since you sadly have also been left illiterate due to the ever growing budget of the Army and shrinking of the education funds.

when it comes to freedom of speech or right to access the information,yes it is the right of every one but our right ends where there is clash with our national interest.it is duty of agencies to keep an eye on people who work against the interest of our Pak land. plz think what all i have said.

Keeping in mind your tragically low IQ I will ask a simple question. Define the term 'national interest'.
If you are by any miracle able to answer that then also enlighten us as to who decides what our national interest is?

crowbar

Senator (1k+ posts)
<LI class=email>دوست کو بھیجیں <LI class=print>پرِنٹ کریں کیاکوئی آئی ایس آئی کو قابو میں لا سکتا ہے؟

110531141952_saleem_shahzad_226x170_bbc_nocredit.jpg

پاکستان کی خفیہ ایجنسی آئی ایس آئی صحافی سلیم شہزاد کے قتل کے الزام کے بعد ایک بار پھر خبروں میں ہے۔ دہشت گردی کے خلاف جنگ کے آگے بڑھنے کے ساتھ ساتھ ایجنسی کا میڈیا کے ساتھ رویہ بھی تلخ ہوتا جا رہا ہے۔ بی بی سی اردو سروس کے مدیر عامر احمد خان نے سوال اٹھایا ہے کہ کیا کوئی آئی ایس آئی کو کنٹرول کر سکتا ہے؟
آئی ایس آئی کے اہلکاروں نے صحافی سلیم شہزاد کے قتل میں ملوث ہونے سے انکار کیا ہے۔ ایک اہلکار نے سلیم شہزاد سے رابطوں کی اطلاعات کے حوالے سے کہا ہے کہ اس میں کوئی بددیانتی نہیں تھی۔
اہلکار کے مطابق صحافیوں سے رابطوں میں رہنا ان کے استحقاق میں شامل ہے تاکہ ’ قومی سلامتی سے متعلق امور پر درست معلومات فراہم کی جا سکیں۔‘
کراچی سے شائع ہونے والے انگریزی میگرین ہیرالڈ کی ادارت کے دور میں آئی ایس آئی اور طالبان کے درمیان تعلقات کے حوالے سے خبر شائع کرنے کے بعد مجھے ایک بار ٹیلی فون کر کے یاد دلایا گیا میرا خاندان کتنا پیارا ہے۔ اس خبر نے واضح طور پر آئی ایس آئی میں سے کسی کو ناراض کر دیا تھا۔
گھبراہٹ میں گھر فون کیا تو اطمینان ہوا کہ سب ٹھیک ہے اور اس کے علاوہ میرے بااثر پبلشر کی جانب سے متعلقہ لوگوں کو بھی فون کیے گئے جن میں یقین دہانی کروائی گئی کہ اپنا تعارف کرنل طارق کے نام سے کروانے والا شخص دوبارہ فون نہیں کرے گا۔
لیکن مجھے بعد میں اسلام آباد میں واقع آئی ایس آئی دفتر میں جانا ہوا اور وہاں اندرون ملک سکیورٹی کے ذمہ دار لوگوں سے ملاقات ہوئی۔ لیکن میں اپنی ڈر کی کیفیت کو ختم نہیں کر سکا کیونکہ مجھے پتا تھا کہ اسی عمارت میں سے کسی نے میرے اہلخانہ پر نظر رکھنے اور ان کی نگرانی کرنے کا حکم دیا تھا۔
ملک کے کسی بھی پریس کلب میں ایک شام گزاریں اور جب آپ وہاں سے اٹھیں گے تو آپ کے پاس ایسی کئی کہانیاں ہوں گی جو آرام سے انڈر ورلڈ کی کہانیوں کی کتاب کی زینت بن سکتی ہیں۔ آپ کو ایسے صحافیوں کی کہانیاں بھی سننے کو ملتی ہیں جن سے بھارت کے سب سے مطلوبہ شخص کی کراچی میں مبینہ موجودگی کی رپورٹنگ کرنے کی پاداش میں خودکشی کرنے کا بیان لکھوایا گیا تھا۔ ایسے نمائندوں کی یادداشتیں بھی ملیں گی جنہوں نے انتخابی عمل میں بے قاعدگی میں ایجنسیوں کے ملوث ہونے کی نشاندہی کی اور اِس وجہ سے انہیں نامعلوم گاڑیاں ٹکر مار کر فرار ہوگئیں۔

ملک کے کسی بھی پریس کلب میں ایک شام گزاریں اور جب آپ وہاں سے اٹھیں گے تو آپ کے پاس ایسی کئی کہانیاں ہوں گی جو آرام سے انڈر ورلڈ کی کہانیوں کی کتاب کی زینت بن سکتی ہیں۔
آپ کو ایسے صحافیوں کی کہانیاں بھی سننے کو ملتی ہیں جن سے بھارت کے سب سے مطلوبہ شخص کی کراچی میں مبینہ موجودگی کی رپورٹنگ کرنے کی پاداش میں خودکشی کرنے کا بیان لکھوایا گیا تھا۔
ایسے نمائندوں کی یادداشتیں بھی ملیں گی جنہوں نے انتخابی عمل میں بے قاعدگی میں ایجنسیوں کے ملوث ہونے کی نشاندہی کی اور اِس وجہ سے انہیں نامعلوم گاڑیاں ٹکر مار کر فرار ہوگئیں۔
مجھے ابھی بھی وہ وقت یاد ہے جب ہمارے قبائلی علاقوں کے صحافی کو آئی ایس آئی نے اٹھا لیا تھا اور چھتیس گھنٹے کے بعد بری طرح تشدد کرنے کے بعد چھوڑا تھا۔
اس واقعے کے پہلے چند گھنٹوں کے اندر اندر ہم نے ہر پولیس افسر سے لے کر وزیر داخلہ تک ہر اس حکومتی اہلکار سے رابطہ کیا جس کو ہم جانتے تھے۔
اور اس کے بعد جب انھوں نے ہماری فون کالز کا جواب دینا ترک کر دیا تو اس وقت ہمیں سمجھ آئی کہ یہ کام بھائی لوگوں( آئی ایس آئی کے اہلکاروں) کا ہے۔
اسی دوران آئی ایس آئی کے قریب مجھے جانے والے ایک صحافی کا مجھے فون آیا، اس نے بتایا کہ ہمارے نامہ نگار کے حلیے سے ملتی جلتی ایک لاش ملی ہے اور اسے اسلام آباد کے جڑواں شہر راولپنڈی کے ایک ہسپتال میں منتقل کر دیا گیا ہے اور بہتر ہے کہ آپ اس لاش کو ایک دفعہ جا کر دیکھ کر لیں۔
مجھے ہسپتال پہنچے میں چالیس منٹ لگے اور میری زندگی میں صحافی کے طور پر یہ چالیس منٹ سب سے مشکل ترین لمحات تھے۔جب میں نے لاش دیکھی تو مجھے ایسا لگا کہ میں اس سے بغل گیر ہوسکتا ہوں۔ مجھے اطمینان ہوا کہ یہ لاش میرے ساتھی کی نہیں ہے اور جب اسے اگلی شام کو رہا کیا گیا تو میں نے خود کو ان کا ایک خاموش شکریہ ادا کرتا پایا، اسے اذیت دینے والوں نے اس کو زندہ چھوڑ دیا تھا۔
اس کے بعد میں نے سال دو ہزار چھ میں قبائلی صحافی حیات اللہ کی ہلاکت کے بعد قبائلی علاقے شمالی وزیرستان میں تین عجیب دن گزارے۔
حیات اللہ کو ایک مقامی کالج کے باہر سے اغواء کیا گیا تھا اور چھ مہینے تک پاس رکھنے کے لیے اس کے سر پر گولی مار دی گئی اور لاش کو سڑک کے کنارے پھینک دیا گیا۔
اس واقعہ کے بارے میں مجھے ایسا لگا کہ اس علاقے میں ہر کسی کو اغواکاروں کی اصل شناخت کے بارے میں معلوم ہے۔
بعض نے یہ یہاں تک ایک کا نام بھی بتا دیا، جو اس کے بارے میں بتایا گیا وہ آئی ایس آئی کا ایک میجر ہو سکتا تھا، جو اکثر حیات اللہ کے اہلخانہ کو فون کرتا تھا اور ان کو بتایا تھا کہ ابھی اس نے یہ ذہن نہیں بنایا کہ آیا حیات اللہ کو چھوڑ دیا جائے یا قتل کر دیا جائے۔
یہ بات بغیر وجہ کے نہیں ہے کہ صحافی سلیم شہزاد کے قتل کے فوری بعد آئی ایس آئی کے خلاف الزامات لگنا شروع ہو گئے۔
پاکستان میں تمام صحافی برادری اس بات سے بخوبی آگاہ ہیں کہ کس طرح ایجنسی میڈیا اور صحافیوں پر کتنی قریب سے نظر رکھتی ہے۔
پاکستان کے شورش زدہ صوبے بلوچستان میں گزشتہ دو سالوں کے دوران اپنے سیاسی حقوق کا مطالبے کرنے والے دو سو کے قریب سیاسی کارکنوں کو اغوا کیا گیا، ان پر تشدد اور قتل کیا گیا۔
ان کے اہلخانہ تقریباً متفتہ طور پر اس رائے پر قائم ہیں کہ اس میں آئی ایس آئی ملوث ہے، ابھی بھی یہ ہلاکتیں بلا تعطل جاری ہیں۔
یہاں تک کہ پاکستان کی سپریم کورٹ نے بھی اس معاملے میں مداخلت کی کہ لاپتہ ہونے والے ان افراد میں سے بعض کو بازیاب کروایا جا سکے لیکن کچھ حاصل نہیں ہوا۔ اس معاملے کو محض لاپتہ افراد کے کیس کے طور پر جانا جاتا ہے۔
آئی ایس آئی کے سابق اہلکار فخر سے یہ کہانیاں بیان کرتے ہیں کہ ’ قومی سلامتی کے مفادات‘ کی حفاظت کے مدنظر انھوں نے کس طرح سیاسی اتحاد تشکیل دیے اور منتخب حکومتوں کو گرایا۔
ابھی بھی عام انتخاب کے بعد تمام سیاسی جماعتوں کے سیاست دان کابینہ میں جگہ بنانے کی امید کے طور پر آئی ایس آئی کے ہیڈ کواٹرز سے رابطے میں رہتے ہیں۔
موجودہ حکومت نے گزشتہ سال ایک کمزور کوشش کی تھی کہ آئی ایس آئی کو وزارتِ داخلہ کے کنٹرول میں لایا جائے۔
090306171801_pasha_isi_226x170.jpg
اسامہ بن لادن کی ہلاکت کے بعد آئی ایس آئی کے سربراہ جنرل احمد شجاع پاشا نے مستعفی ہونے کی پیشکش کی

تاہم ایجنسی نے بڑی تیزی سے ردعمل کا اظہار کیا اور اس ضمن میں جاری ہونے والا نوٹیفیکشن چند گھنٹوں کے اندر واپس ہو گیا اور اس کے بعد یہ اسی طرح سے کام کر رہی ہے۔
اسامہ بن لادن کی ہلاکت کے بعد آئی ایس آئی کے موجودہ سربراہ جنرل احمد شجاع پاشا نے کھلے عام مکمل طور پر انٹیلیجنس کی ناکامی کا اعتراف کرنے کے بعد مستعفی ہونے کی پیشکش کی تھی۔
ان کی پیشکش کو نا صرف فوجی سربراہ جنرل اشفاق پرویز کیانی بلکہ تمام پارلیمان نے شائستگی سے مسترد کر دیا۔
ابھی بھی کچھ ایسے ہیں جو ناقابل اصلاح پذیر خوش امیدی کی توقع رکھے ہوئے ہیں کہ صحافی سلیم شہزاد کی موت کے بعد یہ سب تبدیل ہو جائے گا۔
یہ عوام کی ایجنسی پر بڑھتی ہوئی تنقید کی طرف اشارہ کرتے ہیں، اور اس کے مکمل طور پر احتساب نہ ہونے پر مستقل مزاجی سے متحرک میڈیا اس کو بڑھاوا دے رہا ہے۔
پاکستان کے ایک قابل عزت اور بااثر پبلشر حمید ہارون نے بی بی سی کو بتایا کہ صورتحال بریکنگ پوائنٹ تک پہنچ گئی ہے۔’ اس کو ختم ہونا ہو گا‘۔ وہ ہمارے صحافیوں اور اکابرین کے اثاثوں سے اس طرح کا برتاؤ نہیں کر سکتے۔‘
سوال یہ ہے کہ کون اس کو ختم کرنے جا رہا ہے؟

Freedod of speech is everyone right NO ARGUMENT! there but what are your statistice based on? When you say 90% of Pakistanis will be made traitors...Pakistani People and ISI/Army are united....

hans

Banned
Well if you speak openly and freely and trust in Democracy...,you are labeled more names .. even the Devil be ashamed.

If the propaganda of Army does not work to keep their subjects in line the will use stick, they have proven over and over.

Every country has an Army, Pakistani Army has a country.

I can't believe how many Indian agents there are in Pakistan, its nice.

Raheem

Banned
The writer is a lawyer based in Islamabad.

The pall of gloom, anger and despondency in Pakistan has deepened with Saleem Shahzad’s gruesome murder. If the past is any guide, we will neither discover verifiable facts about his murder, nor will his killers be brought to justice. But let us revisit what we do know. Saleem Shahzad was called in by the ISI in October last year to discuss a story that he had filed for Asia Times Online and felt that he had received a muffled threat. He shared the details with his family, employers and some friends, including Human Rights Watch. Shahzad had written the first part of a story this past week suggesting that Al-Qaeda/Taliban had infiltrated the navy and the attack on PNS Mehran was a consequence of efforts to weed them out. Shahzad was abducted from a high-security zone in Islamabad while he was on his way to participation in a TV talk show. He was tortured to death and his body dumped in the canal close to Rasool Barrage a couple of days later.

Who could have abducted a journalist from one of the most fortified areas of Islamabad? If all this was the handiwork of Al-Qaeda/Taliban, why did they not make demands in return for his release, as they often do? If they didn’t abduct him for ransom or barter, why did they not claim credit for his assassination? Why did they not hold him out as an example for others they see as enemies or double agents, rather than silently dumping his tortured body, followed by an anonymous burial in Mandi Bahhauddin? Was the local representative of Human Rights Watch conspiring with Al-Qaeda and their “foreign” patrons when (according to reported conversations with interlocutors) he disclosed that Shahzad was being held by the ISI and would be released soon? Shahzad feared for his life and had pointed fingers. Should we simply disregard his account now that he is dead?

No terror group has claimed responsibility for Shahzad’s murder. But the ISI has denied involvement in his torture and killing, and resolved “to leave no stone unturned in helping bring the perpetrators of this heinous crime to justice.” Let us assume that the ISI is being truthful here. How did we come to this pass where our leading intelligence agency is the prime suspect in the brutal murder of a journalist and, conscious of such a perception, feels obliged to issue a contradiction? Was Umar Cheema of The News really tortured by spooks or did he just imagine security personnel shaving his head? Was Kamran Shafi’s house never attacked? Is there some bright line rule that people will be roughed up but not killed? Or are the countless reported episodes of intelligence personnel intimidating journalists all lies? Has the US-Indian-Israeli nexus successfully manipulated the minds of our media and intelligentsia? Is this the best explanation for the suspicion that segments of our national security apparatus arouse?

Back in January 2010, I wrote about “reforming khakis.” I had endeavoured to identify multiple facets of the khaki mindset, as I understood them. “The first is an undaunted sense of righteousness,” I had argued. “This indoctrinates the military with the belief that its vision and definition of national security and national interest is the perennial manifestation of wisdom and truth. Any involvement of civilians with matters deemed to fall within the domain of national security is seen as unwarranted interference and an affront to its interests. This protective sense encourages the military to guard its proclaimed territory as a fief. The second facet of the khaki mindset is the military’s saviour instinct. Despite being a non-representative institution, the military has assigned to itself the role of deciphering aspirations of Pakistanis and protecting them. And the most insidious facet of this mindset is the unstated sense of being above the law that binds ordinary citizens.”

Consequently, I was “invited” to the ISI headquarter to meet with a brigadier who looked after internal security. I was offered a “tea break” while being informed that people within the GHQ had taken offence at my article. The brigadier read out “objectionable” excerpts from my article back to me and read from hand scribbled notes that spread over half-a-dozen pages to educate me on how I was wrong. He spoke for about 45 minutes before I sought permission to interrupt his speech and engage in a dialogue. At some point in this conversation he told me quite categorically that the army was more patriotic than the rest of us!

I wasn’t directly threatened at any point. However, I was informed, as a matter of historical record, that there was a time when the agency dealt with people only with the stick; but now things were different. During the meeting I felt obliged to reiterate my fidelity and loyalty to my country and was later ashamed and angry with myself for doing so.

I did not walk away from the ISI headquarters with a sense that this was another free exchange of ideas with a state official who disagreed with my opinion on how best to secure our national interest. In what is hard to describe accurately, I felt an eerie sense of anxiety and a need to protect my back. Not from the Taliban or terror groups but from the same security apparatus that is mandated by law to protect and defend my constitutional right to life, liberty and physical security.

The narration of this personal experience is important in Saleem Shahzad’s context because it is not an isolated one. Others within the media and civil society have had similar exchanges.

The ISI statement on Saleem Shahzad’s murder acknowledges his meeting with officials of the ISI’s Information Management Wing and asserts that “it is part of the Wing’s mandate to remain in touch with the journalist community...the main objective behind all such interactions is provision of accurate information on matters of national security.” From where does the ISI derive this entitlement to summon journalists, seek details of their sources or question their views? Is viewpoint censorship a part of our national security doctrine that the ISI is mandated to enforce? Does Article 19A of our Constitution not declare that access to information is a fundamental human right? Does Article 19 not endow citizens with freedom of speech and expression? And does Article 9 not guarantee the right to life and liberty? Should access to information and the right to hold and express an opinion be curtailed through intimidation? What kind of Animal Farm have we reduced this country to where exercising one’s right to free speech and information extinguishes the right to life?

Notwithstanding the legality or desirability of censorship, a shrinking world and superior technology have made it extremely hard to kill information or ideas, if not people. You cannot sell a terrible product on the back of a vigorous marketing campaign that relies largely on tyranny. More and more citizens are questioning Pakistan’s national security policy because they worry about the direction in which it is pushing this country. It is not allegiance to an enemy but the love for their homeland and concern for their future, and that of their kids, that motivates them to demand course correction.

There is one mother who spoils her kids rotten. And there is another who disciplines them, grooms them, and nurtures their character by teaching them to distinguish right from wrong. Both these mothers are acting out of love. But only the second is being constructive. This is time for all Pakistanis, and especially the more thoughtful ones within the security establishment, to engage in introspection instead of snapping at anyone holding the mirror to them.

http://thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=50758&Cat=9&dt=6/4/2011
As you have described that you are an under cover indian, all explain it self