The oldest mosque of South Asia?? in India or in Pakistan?

Narcissist

Banned
The 'Cheraman Juma Masjid' in Kerala, India is believed to be built in 621 AD or 629 AD by a group of followers of Prophet of Islam, led by Malik bin Dinar. So probably it is the oldest mosque, as per the claims about this mosque that; it is 1400 years old, and it was built in the life of Prophet.

Somehow truth seems very little about the arrival of Malik bin Dinar in Kerala,as he was only 6 years old in 621 AD, so the stories related to his arrival in the court of Hindu raja of Chera dynasty seemed not very viable too. Because second Chera dynasty rule of Kerala started after 8th century A.D.

While historian consider that the arrival of Islam was made possible through the land of Sindh, with the arab army commanded by Ummaid General Muhammad bin Qasim in 712 AD, 80 years after the death of Prophet of Islam. And the ruins of 'Bhambore Mosque' which have huge resemblance with 'Mosque of Kufa' go back with the dates of 727 AD; 16 years after the conquest of 'Land of Deebal' or bhambore, which is the most famous for the folklore of true lovers 'Sassi Punnu'.

Somehow the archaeological evidence are favorable towards Pakistani site than Indian mosque.

1- Bhambore Mosque 2- Cheraman Juma Mosque

http://www.pakistanindependent.com/tag/bhambore-restoring-the-first-mosque-in-south-asia/

http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/kerala/article2142818.ece

Raaz

(50k+ posts) بابائے فورم
Random thoughts
By Dr A Q Khan

In one of my previous articles about Bhopal, I had written about its founding ruler, Raja Bhojpal and his sighting of the splitting of the moon, his sending of gifts, including betel leaves, to our Holy Prophet (PBUH).
My dear Bhopali friend, Tameezul Haq, has drawn my attention to another very important event that took place and has sent me a photocopy of an article published in the Kerala Magazine in 1948, based on Tareekh-e-Uzbekistan by Syed Kamaluddin Ahmad. Following is an excerpt from that article:

“Shaqqal qamar (splitting of the moon) miracle happened in the eighth year of Prophethood. The Holy Prophet (PBUH) was camping at Mina with his companions. There was a full moon. At that time, the non-believers challenged the Holy Prophet (PBUH) to split the moon into two if he were a true prophet. The non-believers (Quraish) present were Abu Jahl, Walid, Aas, Aswad and Nazar bin Haras.
“The Holy Prophet (PBUH) raised his hand, prayed to Allah to fulfil their demand and then pointed his finger at the moon as if cutting it into two. The moon was immediately split into two… Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Masood (RA) is reported to have proclaimed: “I swear by Allah Almighty that I saw the moon in two pieces and the mountain Hira was in between them.” This miracle has been described in the Holy Quran in Surah Qamar (paragraph 27).
“In southern India (Malabar), the Kerala state was ruled by a Hindu raja. The raja and his family were sitting on the roof of the palace. He saw the moon splitting into two and could not believe what he had seen so he asked his family members if they had seen the same thing, which they had. The raja then summoned all the learned people of the area, including astrologers. He asked them to look into the episode and tell him what they made of it. After thorough investigation, all scholars confirmed the occurrence and said it was a miracle by a Prophet who, according to their books, would be born in Arabia and would split the moon into two by moving his fingers. ‘We believe that the said Prophet (PBUH) has been born and the moon has been split at his command,’ ” they said.
“The raja…sent his son with gifts for the Prophet (PBUH) and 100 soldiers for security reasons. The raja told his son that if the man was in fact the Prophet and if the episode was found to be true, then he should present the gifts to the latter and pay his respects to him.
“On his journey, the prince met some Arabs who confirmed the splitting of the moon episode. He then expressed his desire to be taken to the Prophet (PBUH). Upon meeting the young prince, Rasulallah (SAWS) gave him a warm welcome and asked him about the purpose of his visit. The prince narrated the whole story, presented the gifts…and conveyed his father’s greetings. The Holy Prophet (PBUH) thanked him and prayed for the welfare of the raja. It is said that on the very same day, the raja stopped worshipping idols, accepted the Prophethood and, thus, Islam.
“The prince was so impressed by the Prophet (PBUH) that he embraced Islam and married the daughter of one of his companions. When he returned to Kerala, he learnt that the raja had passed away and people were waiting for him to come back. Initially, the prince did not tell anyone that he had accepted Islam. [After] he was crowned …[and] consolidated his hold on the government, brought peace and tranquillity to the kingdom and then announced that he and his colleagues had embraced Islam. …A large number of his subjects embraced Islam there and then.
The new raja decided to build a mosque which he named after his father. Today, it is known as Cheraman Mosque and is considered to be the first ever mosque of the Subcontinent. Located at Akrakalam, the Cheraman Mosque was constructed during the time of the Holy Prophet (PBUH). The area is known as Malabar and it is spread along the coast. Muslims are still in the majority in the area and are very religious.”
After the raja and his subjects embraced Islam, Arab traders’ frequent visits, long stays and local inter-marriages resulted in more and more people embracing Islam and the area soon had a Muslim majority. Today, South Indians are known to be hardworking, intelligent, friendly and educated people. India’s multi-billion-dollar IT industry is thriving in this area.
After partition, many people from Kerala/Malebar migrated to Pakistan, most of them settling down in Karachi. They usually wore a tehmad or a lungi of checked material, a shirt and white crocheted cap. When a baby boy is born in their community, he is immediately given the first name ‘Muhammad’. Similarly, girls are immediately given the first name of Ayesha or Fatima and a second name follows later. Many of the tea and pan shops in Karachi are owned and run by people from that area. During the 50s, whenever there was a cricket match going on, they would hang a blackboard outside their shops, keep the score updated and a large crowd always gathered around. Those were the days of the good old Pakistan.

Last edited:

Raaz

(50k+ posts) بابائے فورم
14-10-2009-1.gif

14-10-2009-2.gif

14-10-2009-3.gif

Bombaybuz

Minister (2k+ posts)
Masjid tu bana di shab bher mai'n ima'n ki hararet waloo'n ney
Man apna purana papi hey bersoo'n mai'n namazi ban na saka

kya fark parta hai meray bhai ... masjid ko tou india/pak k chaker main na dalo ... humara claim ho bhe gaya tou kya wahan bhambor mein us masjid main namazzi kitney milain gey woh bataoo

Narcissist

Banned
I don't believe in the miracle of moon breaking into two pieces. There are no scientific evidences, whatsoever that moon was ever broken into two pieces. Come up with some solid thing to prove this claim of moon miracle.

Narcissist

Banned
Strange !!! Dr. Qadeer is first doctor, who believes in such miracles. I wonder, what kind of scientist he might had been. Science acknowledge no such miracles.

hawk eyed

MPA (400+ posts)
I don't believe in the miracle of moon breaking into two pieces. There are no scientific evidences, whatsoever that moon was ever broken into two pieces. Come up with some solid thing to prove this claim of moon miracle.
oh come on dont talk about science it keeps on developing...
science didnt even know sun rotates around its own axis 40 years ago!Quran has metioned it 1400 years back
if you consider science as the most"intelligent"phenomenon of human brain,you should wait another 100 years for science to prove this miracle...good luck

Saboo

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
The very first mosque built in North Ameria was Al-Rashid mosque
built by muslims, most probabaly from lebanan, in this city ,Edmonton, Alberta Canada.
I don't know more details about it ( I can dig it up ) but have the honour to pray there many years.
As muslim population increased and needed a bigger mosque, the city gave us a huge piece of land
for a new musjid, still called Al-Rashid, and used the old lot to expand Royal Alex hospital near-by.
Instead of demolishing the old musjid due to it's historic value the city has moved the original building
to presrve it in a historical park.
Many visitors come to know of it go to see it.

Search indicates it was built in 1938, moved to Fort Edmonton Park at the cost of $75,000 and is open
for any one to see.

Last edited: