Once upon a time in Afghanistan- A Photo Essay

moazzamniaz

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Once upon a time in Afghanistan- A Photo Essay

Given the images people see on TV, many conclude Afghanistan never made it out of the Middle Ages. But that is not the Afghanistan I remember. I grew up in Kabul in the 1950s and 60s. Stirred by the fact that news portrayals of the countrys history didnt mesh with my own memories, I wanted to discover the truth.
Remembering Afghanistans hopeful past only makes its present misery seem more tragic. But it is important to know that disorder, terrorism, and violence against schools that educate girls are not inevitable. I want to show Afghanistans youth of today how their parents and grandparents really lived.
- Mohammad Qayoumi

"A laboratory at the Vaccine Research Center."

"A villager welcomes visiting nurses to his compound."

"Biology class, Kabul University."

"Cabinet in session."

"Central control panel at Radio Kabul transmitter. Transmitter can be heard as far distant as South Africa and Indonesia."

"Fresh fruit bazaar."

"Furniture display room."

"Gulbahar Textile Plant is one of the most modern in Asia."

"Hundreds of Afghan youngsters take active part in Scout programs."

"In the absence of dependable international peace, national defense plays an important role in the affairs of the nation."

"Infant ward at feeding time."

"Kabul is served by an up-to-date transportation system."

"Kabul University students changing classes. Enrollment has doubled in last four years."

"Most hospitals give extensive post-natal care to young mothers."

"Mothers and children at a city playground."

"Park Cinema, like many others, provides the needed entertainment."

"Sarobi hydro-power plant on Kabul River is one of the country's foremost power stations."

"Student nurses at Maternity Hospital, Kabul."

"Textile store window display."

Thank you to Eric Stephan and Mohammad Rahim.

WatanDost

Bahi wo rang o sooror ki pictures nahi hain shah sahab kay door ki

This is a SLAP on FACE OF MARTYRS of AFGAN nation.

President Bush awarded Afghani MedalAfghan President Hamid Karzai gives the
Ghazi Amanullah Khan
Medal to U.S. President George W. Bush at the presidential palace in Kabul December 15, 2008.
The medal is the country's highest award. Ghazi Ammanullah Khan served as Afghanistan's king from 1919-29 and led the country to independence from the erstwhile British Empire.
REUTERS/Musadeq Sadeq/Pool (AFGHANISTAN

Bombaybuz

Minister (2k+ posts)
This at least shows that how crual the war is and 42 years of war in Afghanistan has not just bought the country to ashes but the social and cultural fabric is also shattered... how one can explain the last 2 generations what the peace is and how the normal day to day life is.

Gabagaba

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
British empire occupied the world but other side of the picture is that where every they went they did tremendous developments in the countries. These developments still exist and people benefit from it. e.g Pakistan railways,many universities and colleges like King Edward, Hospitals etc. We may not like it but it is reality.

anyie1

In 1972 -73 my father used to go to Kabul for shoping and he used to tell us the stories how advance and beautiful that country is,,,,,,,,,

SaadKnight

Senator (1k+ posts)
This is a SLAP on FACE OF MARTYRS of AFGAN nation.

President Bush awarded Afghani MedalAfghan President Hamid Karzai gives the
Ghazi Amanullah Khan
Medal to U.S. President George W. Bush at the presidential palace in Kabul December 15, 2008.
The medal is the country's highest award. Ghazi Ammanullah Khan served as Afghanistan's king from 1919-29 and led the country to independence from the erstwhile British Empire.
REUTERS/Musadeq Sadeq/Pool (AFGHANISTAN
Jahalat award to bursh