Noam Chomsky:Pakistan Drifting Away from Science

atensari

(50k+ posts) بابائے فورم
There is a combined effort by Pakistani establishment not just by corrupt politicians. Most of the kids go to Madrassa where there is zero science and children are taught to hate science because it contradicts Quran. I was lucky that I was born in a privileged family and went to a private school where they taught about evolution or I would also be brainwashed like most of the unfortunate people.

Despite being one of the fortunate ones even I was brainwashed by the likes of Zakir Naik for some time believing in their stupidity. After I studied logic and reasoning (Its pre-requisite for Oxford University Under-Grad admissions) I realized how badly our government, media, society and education system has been fooling us and even our parents who then unwittingly pass on this information to us thinking that its for our best but they also had been lied to.
لبرل اسٹیبلشمنٹ اور سیکولر سیاست دانوں کی سرپرستی میں قائم درجنوں انگریزی مارکہ سکول، کالج اور یونیورسٹی کی سینکڑوں شاخوں سے فارغ تحصیل لاکھوں ممی ڈیڈی برگرز اور ان کے توہمات

Last edited:

waqqaskhan

Councller (250+ posts)
Iv been saying this for years, Zakir Naik type people who believe in flying donkeys with wings and other superstitious beliefs have poisoned the minds of Pakistani youth
Zakir Naik is not scientist, he is a religious scholar and he is doing what he is famous for, you say this to our low standard university professors and scientist

Sonya Khan

Minister (2k+ posts)
Iv been saying this for years, Zakir Naik type people who believe in flying donkeys with wings and other superstitious beliefs have poisoned the minds of Pakistani youth
Religion never stops you from science..... Corrupt leaders do ..... Stop peddling your propaganda in your anti Islamic animosity...... your rhetoric shows you a thorough ignorant person .....

blalbutt

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
*Long post alert*

I don't really agree with Chomsky. I think Pakistan is not only moving away from science but religion as well. How many people are actually following the deen of Allah taala? Rishwat, jooth, dhooka, corruption etc; are these part of Islam? There is wide spread hypocrisy which originates from our leaders. They respect norms of Islam but don't follow a single thing. On the other hand we have liberals who without using their brains follow western norms to the T without realizing its effects on society.
Islam doesn't stop you from science, people and our politicians do. We will only progress when each one of us is literate. And being literate doesn't mean unfollowing Deen and following logic blindly. Islam teaches us how to live our life and to know the purpose of our life.
There are certain points where science stops and have no answers i.e. when did time start? we can go back and trace the origin of big bang but what happened before that? Classical and contemporary scientists have been trying to find that answer but without any success. Read Stephen Hawkings, Neil Tyson and you will find out.
We need to rekindle the love between books and human beings instead of social media and tik tok BS.
Philosophy, Science, logic all direct towards Islam!

Vitamin_C

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Zakir Naik is not scientist, he is a religious scholar and he is doing what he is famous for, you say this to our low standard university professors and scientist

if he is not scientist then why is he brainwashing people with misinformation about science?

The Pakistani

Minister (2k+ posts)
At least Zakir Naik isnt a peer, allama or Sheikh Ul Hadees type person. Till day he call himself a research student.
The problem is multiple national curriculum. We are stuck between Madraasas, Govt amd private mode of studies. We dont invest in our childrens at all, never supported them in their ideas and influence them with their career choices.

Bubber Shair

لبرل اسٹیبلشمنٹ اور سیکولر سیاست دانوں کی سرپرستی میں قائم درجنوں انگریزی مارکہ سکول، کالج اور یونیورسٹی کی سینکڑوں شاخوں سے فارغ تحصیل لاکھوں ممی ڈیڈی برگرز اور ان کے توہمات

آج مدرسے کے طالبعلم تالی بجانا شروع ہوگئے ہیں کل امید ہے کہ چھنو کی آنکھ میں گانے پر ٹونگا ٹونگا ہلانا بھی سیکھ جائیں گے

atensari

(50k+ posts) بابائے فورم
آج مدرسے کے طالبعلم تالی بجانا شروع ہوگئے ہیں کل امید ہے کہ چھنو کی آنکھ میں گانے پر ٹونگا ٹونگا ہلانا بھی سیکھ جائیں گے
دیسی لبرل سائنس سمجھنے کے لئے چھنو کو بہت اہمیت دیتے ہے

Vitamin_C

He is human he can mistake, he never claimed whatever he claims is correct, even if someone thinks he can never make a mistake is also wrong.

Its not a mistake, he lies on purpose because he knows his audience are like sheep and will not verify what he is saying. He never debates scientists or athiest.

Here you can see him openly lying about scientific definition of theory. Anyone who has a laptop can search the actual definition and confirm that he is lying.

He is trying to show people that there is Science in Quran when there is none. He is advocating that instead of people looking at the natural world for answers to natural phenomena they should look in the Quran. He is misleading our youth in wrong directions and should be banned. No wonder why there is so much ignorance and misinformation about Science in Pakistan.

blalbutt

Its not a mistake, he lies on purpose because he knows his audience are like sheep and will not verify what he is saying. He never debates scientists or athiest.

Here you can see him openly lying about scientific definition of theory. Anyone who has a laptop can search the actual definition and confirm that he is lying.

He is trying to show people that there is Science in Quran when there is none. He is advocating that instead of people looking at the natural world for answers to natural phenomena they should look in the Quran. He is misleading our youth in wrong directions and should be banned. No wonder why there is so much ignorance and misinformation about Science in Pakistan.

"He is misleading our youth in the wrong directions and should be banned" is a very strong and judgemental statement. Who are you to decide if our youth is misled by him? If that's the criteria then:
- Is the culture of drugs, sex, and rock and roll leading them in to the right direction?
- There were more than 20000 journals and articles written by scientists on COVID but the majority of them were wrong? Even Dr. Fauci was proven to be wrong many times who spoke on TV? Did he misled the population and hence should be banned?
- Dr. Zakir naik is no scientist and its not his area of expertise but he has done enormous research in comparative religion and therefore we shouldn't compare apples to oranges. At least show some respect and be tolerant.

The majority of Pakistan doesn't even understand English and you're inferring that he misled them? Misinformation and ignorance is due to many factors and pointing to just one person in the whole world is preposterous.

waqqaskhan

Councller (250+ posts)

You have good point but it looks that you want to say Pakistan is behind in Science is because of Dr. Zakir. All the 3rd world countries are behind in Science because of lack of education and mismanagement.

Vitamin_C

You have good point but it looks that you want to say Pakistan is behind in Science is because of Dr. Zakir. All the 3rd world countries are behind in Science because of lack of education and mismanagement.

Not just Zakir Naik, I used him as an example as he is part of the problem. Throughout history organized religions have been connected to power, money and women. Most religions and Churches exist because there is money in play behind it. Its a business and in countries where there is ignorance like Pakistan its a very lucrative business. Do you think people like Khadim Rizvi who have no skills would get the the position of power like he did without religion?

Issue right now is that younger generation is leaving Islam in large numbers and Ill link a video below to explain this. There are major Scientific blunders in Quran and to save their businesses, conmen like Zakir Naik have 2 strategies they can adopt.

1: One is to manipulate translations and tafsirs of Quran. But in age of information technology its easy to search that Dhaha does not mean Ostrich Egg, and that bones are not formed before muscle in embryo they are both formed at same time etc. So this strategy was working in beginning and science on Quran became famous but now its not working due to easy access to information.

2. Second strategy after first one didn't work is to spread misinformation about science, that a theory is just a theory, evolution is not a fact, that theories keep changing, that we do not know everything about the universe therefore science is useless. This second strategy has done the most damage to Science education in Pakistan. Our education system is heavily influenced by religious parties and at-least half of the children go to madrassa where this nonsense is fed to them. Just read the person who replied to me before you and you will understand what I am talking about.

Its not just corruption, establishment played a big part in spreading religious extremism in Pakistan since 1970s, we had a very strong industrial and science base with world class institutions. They will never teach children topics like philosophy, logic and reasoning or critical thinking because they don't want children to learn how to think, they want to give them what to think instead in Islamiyat classes.

blalbutt

He is a kid who doesn't know what he is talking about. Even if the argument is true that doesn't mean that Islam is not haq.

Atheism hasn't been a new invention but rather been here for a long time.

waqqaskhan

Councller (250+ posts)
Not just Zakir Naik, I used him as an example as he is part of the problem. Throughout history organized religions have been connected to power, money and women. Most religions and Churches exist because there is money in play behind it. Its a business and in countries where there is ignorance like Pakistan its a very lucrative business. Do you think people like Khadim Rizvi who have no skills would get the the position of power like he did without religion?

Issue right now is that younger generation is leaving Islam in large numbers and Ill link a video below to explain this. There are major Scientific blunders in Quran and to save their businesses, conmen like Zakir Naik have 2 strategies they can adopt.

1: One is to manipulate translations and tafsirs of Quran. But in age of information technology its easy to search that Dhaha does not mean Ostrich Egg, and that bones are not formed before muscle in embryo they are both formed at same time etc. So this strategy was working in beginning and science on Quran became famous but now its not working due to easy access to information.

2. Second strategy after first one didn't work is to spread misinformation about science, that a theory is just a theory, evolution is not a fact, that theories keep changing, that we do not know everything about the universe therefore science is useless. This second strategy has done the most damage to Science education in Pakistan. Our education system is heavily influenced by religious parties and at-least half of the children go to madrassa where this nonsense is fed to them. Just read the person who replied to me before you and you will understand what I am talking about.

Its not just corruption, establishment played a big part in spreading religious extremism in Pakistan since 1970s, we had a very strong industrial and science base with world class institutions. They will never teach children topics like philosophy, logic and reasoning or critical thinking because they don't want children to learn how to think, they want to give them what to think instead in Islamiyat classes.

I will definitely not deny it specially that as I am in west and see it, but the history of Atheism is very old its not a new idea, the basic idea if you can not see or observe is not there. Highly educated people and normally rich society are attracted to this idea. In religion never invent a new thing but in Science always work hard to learn and invent new things, but un fortunately we do the opposite we invent things in religion and do not strive in Science. As I told Pakistan or Muslims are not the only one behind in Science but all the third world countries are in the same boat. Atheism is a big deception, it looks very attractive and science based and at times one look very learned and smart but in actual it is as if you stand and confront Allah SWT directly and this Allah SWT will never forgive (Kufr) but any other sin. May Allah SWT save us all and guide us to the right path.

Vitamin_C

the basic idea if you can not see or observe is not there.

Sir I think you are mistaken. Its not about seeing or observing but rather what we conclude after following the evidence.

We know that it takes Pluto 248 years to complete an orbit around the sun. Now no one has observed or seen Pluto complete a full orbit because we only discovered Pluto 90 years ago. Then how we know it takes exactly 248 years to complete it? Because we can observe and detect other evidence that support this claim.

Similarly you do not need to be at a crime scene to observe a murder you can study the evidence to reach the conclusion. We were not here 14 billion years ago to observe big bang but we know it happened because there is other evidence such as expansion of universe at accelerated rate, all galaxies moving away from each other and detection of cosmic background radiation. Many different facts independently confirming one theory.

That being said Atheists are not asking you to present God himself but at-least some evidence that can lead to God but everything we study in natural world tells us opposite story.

When you open yourself to the idea of believing something in absence of evidence or by using bad evidence, then you can believe in anything, Human beings can rationalize any reality in their mind in absence of evidence, whether it is Flat Earth, Shiva, Jesus, Allah or chopping people's heads off or starting a world war for blind faith in superiority of your race.

waqqaskhan

Councller (250+ posts)
Sir I think you are mistaken. Its not about seeing or observing but rather what we conclude after following the evidence.

We know that it takes Pluto 248 years to complete an orbit around the sun. Now no one has observed or seen Pluto complete a full orbit because we only discovered Pluto 90 years ago. Then how we know it takes exactly 248 years to complete it? Because we can observe and detect other evidence that support this claim.

Similarly you do not need to be at a crime scene to observe a murder you can study the evidence to reach the conclusion. We were not here 14 billion years ago to observe big bang but we know it happened because there is other evidence such as expansion of universe at accelerated rate, all galaxies moving away from each other and detection of cosmic background radiation. Many different facts independently confirming one theory.

That being said Atheists are not asking you to present God himself but at-least some evidence that can lead to God but everything we study in natural world tells us opposite story.

When you open yourself to the idea of believing something in absence of evidence or by using bad evidence, then you can believe in anything, Human beings can rationalize any reality in their mind in absence of evidence, whether it is Flat Earth, Shiva, Jesus, Allah or chopping people's heads off or starting a world war for blind faith in superiority of your race.
The harmony in the universe, human being so complicated that it is impossible to evolve in this form from a single cell, existence of earth at certain angle and distance from sun to have such a sustainable eco system are these not signs enough to think there is some one who has created all this. Some wise said "This much of knowledge is enough that you fear Allah"

Vitamin_C

The harmony in the universe, human being so complicated that it is impossible to evolve in this form from a single cell, existence of earth at certain angle and distance from sun to have such a sustainable eco system are these not signs enough to think there is some one who has created all this. Some wise said "This much of knowledge is enough that you fear Allah"
Thats a classic example of what we call in Philosophy, an argument from ignorance. You do not understand how evolution works or how this world came into existence, therefore God did it. Its a logical fallacy I have linked a video below so you can understand it more.

And if you have specific questions about how its completely possible from natural perspective for humans to evolve or for earth to be at a perfect distance from Sun etc, I can answer that too but first I want to see if you understand why that argument is not a logical argument. There is an explanation for all these things but the point I am making is that even if we did not understand these things and did not have an explanation, that still does not mean that God did it.