New COAS Raheel Sharif profile and Family Background - Interesting Must See!!

AZulfi

MPA (400+ posts)
Re: Lt Gen Raheel Sharif profile and Family Background - Interesting Must See!!

A good choice for sure but I would argue that any of the top 4 lieutenant generals would have made a good COAS. Three of them have operational experience (Haroon Aslam, Rashad and Tariq). Spare a thought for Haroon Aslam who has a good cv and was the senior-most Lt. Gen. He led the operation rah-e-rast that succeeded in flushing out TTP miscreants from Swat and neighbouring areas in 2009. It almost seems that being the senior most lieutenant general is a curse in the army. Look at Haroon Aslam and Quli Khan. The latter was the senior most Lt. Gen. in 1998. The fact that Haroon Aslam was from Special Services Group (SSG) probably did not sit too well with NS who still cannot forget what Mushy did to him. In other words Musharraf's past doing could have cost Haroon Aslam the top job. Most importantly NS did not want a very powerful COAS.

One cannot help feeling that being the brother of Shabbir Sharif Shaheed greatly helped Raheel in getting the top job

Anyways congratulations to the new army chief. Wish him all the best in the fight against TTP and other enemies of the state.

AZulfi

MPA (400+ posts)

error wrong thread!

cornered_tig

Councller (250+ posts)

Hamid Hussain, an expert on Pakistan's army, said Raheel Sharif was "a below-average officer" not well suited to lead a country in the midst of a bloody war against militants.
"He's nice, a gentleman but not regarded very highly," he said. "Most people in the army think his professional ceiling is at the major general level."

The Guardian.

knower

Minister (2k+ posts)

who told you that he will retire in 1 year??? koi reason hai??? ager hai to plzz bata do mujhe...I think ye sirf hawai baatein hain, logon ke pass aajkal koi baat karne ko hoti nhi, khud hi apne aap se mirch masala laga detey hain... Plzz tell me if i'm wrong

gen haroon aslam was very tough and well respected in army......i think noora has not learnt any thing from his past again appointing jounior gen.now both the gen.he has appointed will retire in 1 or one and a half year..then again appointment of new gen.would become an issue

ammadk

Minister (2k+ posts)

who told you that he will retire in 1 year??? koi reason hai??? ager hai to plzz bata do mujhe...I think ye sirf hawai baatein hain, logon ke pass aajkal koi baat karne ko hoti nhi, khud hi apne aap se mirch masala laga detey hain... Plzz tell me if i'm wrong
gen haron's retirement was due in april 2014,and next 2 were to retire after half a year,it is true that coas and jcsc is for 3 years and the 4th one gen tariq has almost years left of his retirement....i stand by my words noora has learnt nothing from his previous experiences he superseded hard core fighting gen and appointed gen sharif but who's next in line gen tairiq former DGFC who looked after waziristan ops...

digitalzygot

Senator (1k+ posts)
Once again merit ignored, yes it's an honour that your elder brother was a 'shaheed' but imo merit shouldn't be ignored and I am sure there are plenty of generals with similar backgrounds. Fact of the matter is 'merit' was ignored, which is shame.

Imranpak

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
I have heard that this man is a proper Bharat hater! He is full of fierce venom towards our neighbours.