Need advice on land mafia in Rawalpindi

thedude

Councller (250+ posts)
so our property is rented out and the tenants are not paying rent and not leaving the place either ... they might not be armed thugs but they definitely wanna take over the place as owners (by creating fake legal documents etc)

my question: is there a way to preemptively avoid that? for example, I've heard of something called "stay order" ... can i get a stay order on our land so that even if they try to sell the place with fake documents they wouldn't be able to do it?

or should I stay in touch with the Patwari? do I need to pay him monthly bhatta or something to avoid such a thing?

any other advice?

a reply would be highly appreciated

NOTE: assume I don't have any powerful contacts (if I really need such a contact I might have to almost beg someone)

Last edited:

arifkhan

Citizen
A stay order essentially means that things will remain frozen the way they are at the time of issuance of the stay order. What that means is that if they are in the property, they will remain in the property and you will not be able to evict them until the court orders to do so. However, the stay order will ensure that the property will not be sold by the third party, but, the stay order must say that it cannot be sold.

A question needs to be asked though. Do you have a copy of rent agreement or not?

thedude

Councller (250+ posts)
Thanks for your reply arifkhan ...

i will have to ask my family whether they have rent agreement or not ...

but even if we got one the first time we let the tenants in, we did not renew and it has been many years ... (does it make my case stronger if I have at least one expired rent agreement from the past?)

that's why I'm not pushing too much for them to pay the rent (unless I make them renew the agreement)

I'm more worried about them creating fake ownership documents and then selling the property to an unsuspecting buyer

secondly I'm also one of those types who "prays for not having to deal with pakistani police and/or courts" ... so even if I have a very strong case I'm not sure I would have a very high expectation from courts and police

(the property is in a poor neighborhood of the city by the way ... the area is most probably rife with criminal elements not to mention corrupt police ... )

Last edited:

GraanG2

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Well Good luck...Pray a lot to Allah SWT in the month of ramadan...Do istekhara and inshaAllah things will be OK.

This is why we need to enforce justice in this country.Cos without justice it becomes Jungle ka Qanoon.

thedude

Councller (250+ posts)
to clarify further:

I'm out of Pakistan right now and can't return before 6 to 8 months ... what I'm looking for is some kind of freeze of the situation until then ... so that our property is not sold illegally by the time I return ...

maybe I'm overreacting ... nothing may happen during this time ... but I was just wondering if I wanna play it safe, what are my options?

(NOTE: my relatives are in pakistan so if there's any paperwork needed they will be able to do it)

aushami

MPA (400+ posts)
If I were you. I would call few lawyers in Pakistan. To discuss his fees and while talking I would try to scratch options that he may have.. Lawyers can give you good advice.