Lal Masjid: Rebuilding the legacy

Muhammad Tauseef A. Bajwa

Senator (1k+ posts)

Lal Masjid: Rebuilding the legacy
By Saba Imtiaz
Published: March 14, 2011

Lal-Masjid-640x480.jpg

Four years later, the impact of Lal Masjids siege keeps resonating through Pakistan. ILLUSTRATION: ANAM HALEEM

ISLAMABAD: Ive become fearless, Abaa* says, when asked about the impact of Operation Silence on her life. When people are scared before crossing a street, I tell them death is not written here.

The 25-year-old taught Arabic grammar and Quranic tafseer at Jamia Hafsa. Along with several students and teachers, she was inside the madrassa during the July 2007 operation.
Almost four years later, she says the events have become part of my identity.
Legacy hijacked
Lal Masjid has become a part of Pakistans identity as well. The impact of the operation became evident in a number of ways. Suicide bombings, not a new phenomenon to Pakistan, multiplied in 2007. The operation provided militant groups with a reason to attack the state and a string of suicide bombings targeting the army, police and citizens took place throughout the country. A few weeks after Operation Silence, 200 Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan fighters occupied Haji Sahib Turangzais shrine in Lakaro, Mohmand Agency and renamed it after Lal Masjid.
One of the groups that formed after the siege was the Ghazi Force, named after Lal Masjids Maulana Abdul Rasheed Ghazi, who was killed in the operation. It is reportedly led by a former student of Lal Masjid. The Associated Press reported last year that Ghazi Force was behind several attacks against security forces and a suicide bombing at the World Food Programme office.
A student of Jamia Faridia (which is run by Maulana Abdul Aziz), who was reportedly a commander of the Ghazi Force, was arrested outside Azizs house in 2009.
Aziz denies any involvement with such groups. This is not in our hands, he told The Express Tribune. These were young people from the tribal areas and they formed organisations using the name of Lal Masjid.
Instead, he says, people are disappointed. They are upset at us! he exclaimed. They ask if we have done a deal with the government and ask us to rise up.
Aziz appears to condone their acts when he says, where there is oppression and injustice, there will be a reaction.
He blames the government for sealing madrassas during the siege. We had told them that we will lose control over the students, he says. They did not listen.
Making headlines
Since 2007, Lal Masjids name has popped up repeatedly. According to the New York Times, Faisal Shahzad, the would-be suicide bomber who targeted New Yorks Times Square, was connected to the mosque and had met with the 17-year-old nephew of a Pakistani Taliban leader there.
Its naib khateeb says he is unaware of any connection Shahzad had with Lal Masjid.
Lal Masjid made headlines again last year when former Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) officer Khalid Khawaja was kidnapped and killed in North Waziristan. In a confession video, Khawaja spoke of his regret over the siege, and said he had worked with the ISI, the Central Intelligence Agency and religious and political leaders to implicate Lal Masjid. Khawaja confessed to telling Aziz to escape the mosque in a burqa, and claimed his wife had egged on Umme Hassan.
This was denied by Khawajas family, who said Azizs family had stayed with them for a month. Khawajas funeral prayers were offered at Lal Masjid.
The political casualty of the Lal Masjid saga was the then-president Pervez Musharraf. After Operation Silence, public opinion turned against Musharraf, who was already dealing with the judicial crisis.
While Musharraf says he has no regrets over the operation, the sentiment that drove the students of Lal Masjid and Jamia Hafsa to challenge the state is still prevalent.
Fearless, remorseless
Before the siege, Jamia Hafsas students illegally occupied a library and became self-styled moral guardians by kidnapping women they suspected of immorality.
My relatives told me to leave, says Bint Fareed, who also taught at Jamia Hafsa. So did Maulana Abdul Aziz and Umme Hassan. I was not scared inside the madrassa, even though we could hear the shells and bullets outside. I was scared when we left with the injured girls.
She describes feeling disoriented as she exited the madrassa. Even though we had been outside so many times before, I could not tell where we were or where we were going. I had no idea what state of curfew had been imposed or how many roadblocks there were. We somehow managed to find our way into the city.
It never occurred to her to pack her belongings. In a wistful tone, she muses, I never realised that it would be the last time we would see our home.
When asked if she would repeat any of the actions that led to Jamia Hafsas notoriety, Abaa replied, I would do the same again. We will do whatever we can.
Lal Masjids naib khateeb Maulana Amir Siddiq says he encourages students to excel in their fields and contribute to Pakistan.
However, Siddiq said, What message is the empty ground where Jamia Hafsa once stood giving to emotional young people?
*Not her real name

FlyHigh

Senator (1k+ posts)
"Lal Masjid has become a part of Pakistan’s identity as well. The impact of the operation became evident in a number of ways. Suicide bombings, not a new phenomenon to Pakistan, multiplied in 2007." The poor fellow are doing what they got education for, period. Illegal activities on a encroached land, and people are sympathyizing with them.

M

mimran301

So who co-operated with Mushy traitor in the Lal Masjid massacare?...A blast from the past......

Imam slams Lal Masjid over standoff

Imam of Makkah Shaikh Abdul Rahman Al Sudais yesterday criticised the Lal Masjid administration for taking the law into their own hands and said mosques should not be used for mischief and conflict.

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/pakistan/imam-slams-lal-masjid-over-standoff-1.182893

Lal masjid was made illegally on the land of Urdu board. I think mosque is sacred entity, it should not be built on encroached land. Urdu board's case is still pending in supreme court to claim its land back. This factor put the sacredness of mosque on stake.
Factor two, so to speak.....Mullah's role in society is to teach and preach......not judge and take things in hand, whom government is supposed to do. Lal masjid mullah did that....and was rightly punished and killed.
Lesson learnt : Never challenge government of Pakistan near Islamabad and in Punjab or sindh anywhere.
I support the action of Lal masjid.....after all Indian government did same kind of action on Golden temple in 1984......when fanatic sikhs were spreading hatred against Indian state.

Mr.Restless

Senator (1k+ posts)
lal masjid issue was raised by the musharaf to get F-16 from america.and i still remember one the same night when this bruital and un-ethical operation silence completed,F-16 were on the Sargodha air base almost after 20 years of payment to USA goverment.Means to say that you kill or you sell your own people, america will pay you..and this was exactly done by musharaf and his Q league..i dont support lal masjid ,but i do criticised the way this issue was mishandled and portraited..i mean those 1500 people could be arrested and sent to jail easily..and finally imam of makkah sheikh abdul rehman was shown only one sided picture.HE was in pakistan a few days before the final operation started but was not allowed to listen Ghazi brothers..Ghazi brothers insisted to met with imam but islamabad goverment kept denying...so imam dont know the real story and he should not be tag with this issue...and dont forget the conspiracy role of that time CDA chairman..He was the best friend of musharaf and more importantly he was Qadiyani..

PahariShikra

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)

[FONT=&quot]لال [/FONT][FONT=&quot]مسجد کا واقعہ پر تجسس ہے اور اس کے ذمّہ دار بہت سے عناصر ہیں۔ بہرحال، ماضی سے سبق سیکھنا چاہیے۔[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]شدت پسندی خاص طور پر مذہب کے لیے خطرہ ہے۔ ایسا لگتا ہے کہ لوگوں کے تعلقات اللہ سے تو نہیں بڑھ رہے ہیں بلکہ مذہب ملائیت کی لپیٹ میں آکرملاؤں کی سزا کا نشانہ بن گیا ہے۔[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]اس آرٹیکل کی رو سے طالبان اور دیگر شدت پسند تنظیموں کو موقع ملا کہ انھوں نے جامعہ حفظہ کا علم اٹھایا اور اپنے نام نہاد جہاد کو فروغ دیا جو سر اسر غیر اسلامی اور غیر آئینی ہے۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔۔ ان کا کیا کیا جائے؟؟؟؟؟[/FONT]