Iran-US mukmuka in Syria?

M Ali Khan

Minister (2k+ posts)
[h=1]Iran: Managing U.S. Military Action in Syria[/h] Analysis

September 4, 2013 | 0630 Print Text Size

179400219.jpg

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in Tehran on Sept. 3. (BEHROUZ MEHRI/AFP/Getty Images)

[h=2]Summary[/h] Conventional wisdom says that a weakened Syria would undermine Iran's regional influence, but a U.S. military intervention in the country could actually benefit Tehran. The government there has devised a sophisticated strategy for responding to a U.S. attack. Of course, Tehran would activate its militant proxies in the region, including Hezbollah, in the event that the United States launches an attack, but it would also exploit Washington's visceral opposition to Sunni jihadist and Islamist groups to gain concessions elsewhere.

[h=2]Analysis[/h] Iran already has engaged diplomatically with many of those involved in the Syrian conflict. Over the past weekend, Alaeddin Boroujerdi, the foreign affairs and national security head for the Iranian parliament, led a delegation to Damascus, presumably to discuss the potential U.S. attack. Earlier on Aug. 29, Russian President Vladimir Putin spoke with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani over the phone. Their conversation followed U.N. Undersecretary-General for Political Affairs Jeffrey Feltman's visit to Tehran, where he and Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif likewise discussed Syria. Even the Omani sultan paid a rare visit to Iran, reportedly carrying with him positive messages from the Obama administration for Iran's new government.

Notably, the rhetoric from Tehran -- particularly from its military leadership -- has been relatively tame. Typically the government antagonizes Washington when U.S.-Iranian tensions heat up, and indeed the Syria situation has aggravated tensions. Syria is a critical Iranian ally, and the survival of the al Assad regime is a national security interest for Tehran. Iran cannot afford to directly retaliate against the United States, but it is widely expected to retaliate indirectly through militant proxies.

[h=3]Skillful Maneuvers[/h] Iran's strategy involves more than just activating these proxy groups. It entails the kind of skillful maneuvering it displayed as the United States sought regime change in Afghanistan and Iraq. Tehran cooperated with Washington, and it benefited greatly from the downfall of the Taliban and Saddam Hussein accordingly. The Iranian strategists who helped devise those approaches are once again in power. Zarif, for example, was Tehran's point of contact with the George W. Bush administration in the early days after 9/11.

However, the Syria situation differs from those of Afghanistan and Iraq. This time it is Washington's aversion to regime change that Tehran is trying to exploit. In fact, the only real reason the United States would want to replace al Assad is to curb Iran's regional influence, which grew considerably after Saddam's ouster. But Washington does not want to supplant al Assad only to see Damascus come under al Qaeda's control. This partly explains why Hossein Mousavian, a close associate of Rouhani, wrote an op-ed Aug. 29 that said regime change in Kabul is "a blueprint for new collaboration" between Washington and Tehran. Mousavian called for U.S.-Iranian cooperation to extend beyond Syria to better manage the crisis-ridden region.

While the potential exists for U.S.-Iranian cooperation on Syria, U.S. military action undoubtedly would weaken the country. This carries serious risks for Iranian interests. An unfriendly Syria could cut Tehran off from Hezbollah, its pre-eminent non-state Arab ally, and jeopardize the position of its Iraqi allies.

However, limited airstrikes on Syria that do not undermine the al Assad regime could actually work in Iran's favor. Such airstrikes could divide the rebellion between factions that oppose military intervention and those that favor it. Through their Syrian, Lebanese and Iraqi allies, the Iranians would then be able to better manage the rebellion, which includes radical Islamist elements.

Because these elements have been gaining more territory, the United States may need Iranian cooperation in forging a new Syrian polity. Washington is currently preparing to speak directly to Tehran over the controversial Iranian nuclear program. The Iranian government has already linked these two issues, and it believes it could use Syria to its advantage as it negotiates the nuclear problem.

[h=3]Welcoming Disruption[/h] Iran cannot rule out the possibility that even limited U.S. action will weaken the regime. Nor can it conclude that Washington does not intend to conduct a more extensive, less symbolic air campaign against al Assad. But it can, however, prepare for either outcome. Strategists in Tehran know that the Americans have air superiority, but they know Iran has the advantage on the ground in Syria, Lebanon and Iraq.

Iran is thus positioned to foment an insurgency. (And the U.S. invasion of Iraq enhanced Iran's experience in fomenting insurgencies.) Any insurgency would worsen sectarian tensions in Syria and throughout the region, in turn further radicalizing Sunni militias. Jihadists gaining ground would force the United States to work with Tehran to contain Sunni radicalism.

In the unlikely scenario that the United States becomes embroiled in another major war, extricating itself from that war would necessarily require Iran's cooperation. But what really gives Iran leverage is the fact that since 9/11, jihadists and Islamist groups have had the opportunity to gain power when Arab regimes collapse.

Unlike Syria's Arab neighbors, which want stability in the region, Iran welcomes disruption. It is reasonably secure internally, and it knows its spheres of influence may weaken but ultimately will not dissolve. Strategists also believe that having lived under sanctions for decades, Iran has grown accustomed to suffering. So while chaos in Syria would threaten inherently weak Arab states, it would not affect Iran quite as much. Tehran could then exploit Arab chaos to its advantage.

In light of these risks, it is unlikely that the United States would deliberately engage in a large-scale military intervention in Syria. But Iran can never be too sure about U.S. intentions, and it has to account for the unintended consequences of even minimal military action. It is for this reason that Tehran has planned for multiple contingencies.

A lot can go wrong when plans are executed, especially when the situation is as fluid as it is in Syria. For Iran, this fluidity offers some risks, but it also offers some opportunities. The commonly held belief that a post-al Assad Syria invariably would be bad for Iran is not a guarantee.

Read more: Iran: Managing U.S. Military Action in Syria | Stratfor
Follow us: @stratfor on Twitter | Stratfor on Facebook

M Ali Khan

Minister (2k+ posts)
details of secret US-Iran talks for Syria (just like how they did for Iraq)

[h=5]Conflict in Syria[/h]
[h=1]Drawing a Line on Syria, U.S. Keeps Eye on Iran Policy[/h] [h=6]By ROBERT F. WORTH Published: September 2, 2013[/h]
WASHINGTON — As the Obama administration makes a case for punitive airstrikes on the Syrian government, its strongest card in the view of some supporters of a military response may be the need to send a message to another country: Iran. If the United States does not enforce its self-imposed “red line” on Syria’s use of chemical weapons, this thinking goes, Iran will smell weakness and press ahead more boldly in its quest for nuclear weapons.

But that message may be clashing with a simultaneous effort by American officials to explore dialogue with Iran’s moderate new president, Hassan Rouhani, in the latest expression of Washington’s long struggle to balance toughness with diplomacy in its relations with a longtime adversary.

Two recent diplomatic ventures have raised speculation about a possible back channel between Washington and Tehran. Last week, Jeffrey Feltman, a high State Department official in President Obama’s first term who is now a senior envoy at the United Nations, visited Iran to meet with the new foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, and discussed possible reactions to an American airstrike in Syria.

At the same time, the sultan of Oman, who has often served as an intermediary between the United States and Iran, was in Tehran meeting with Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Neither Mr. Feltman nor Sultan Qaboos bin Said al Said of Oman has said anything about carrying messages between the two governments. Still, those overtures, along with some surprisingly mild noises from Iranian leaders, have raised hopes that Washington may be able to thread the needle — to strike Syria without compromising efforts toward an Iranian-American dtente before meetings at the United Nations General Assembly this month.

Those hopes may well be premature: even if Mr. Rouhani and his foreign minister are eager for a deal ending the dispute over the future of Iran’s nuclear program, it is far from clear that they would be able to deliver one. Negotiations have been stalled since last year, and final authority on foreign policy rests with Ayatollah Khamenei. The Iranian president’s hand, whatever his politics, is weakened further during national security crises, analysts say, and hard-liners are likely to be empowered.

Like Mr. Obama, Mr. Rouhani — who has declared his goal of resolving tensions with the West and bringing “more transparency” to nuclear talks — is vulnerable to domestic conservatives, who still blame him for having signed an agreement in 2003 opening Iran to United Nations inspectors.

“I am convinced that Rouhani and Zarif want to overcome the hostility between the U.S. and Iran, but a military strike on Syria could be a spoiler,” said Hossein Mousavian, a former nuclear negotiator for Iran who is now a visiting scholar at Princeton University.

Even as Secretary of State John Kerry worked to build support for a strike, his Iranian counterpart, Mr. Zarif, known as a moderate who hopes for dialogue, seemed to be working to avert one, declaring in an interview on Sunday that Iran warned the United States last year about chemical weapons getting into the hands of Syrian rebels. On Monday, he even tried to suggest that Mr. Obama was closer to his way of thinking, saying the American president was being pushed toward war by hard-liners in his own government.

Nuclear weapons aside, the debate over chemical weapons has raised questions about the strength of Iran’s commitment to the government of President Bashar al-Assad of Syria. Iran suffered terrible losses to chemical weapon strikes during its decade-long war with Iraq in the 1980s, and the issue is a delicate one for many Iranians. Mr. Rouhani aroused some controversy last week by strongly condemning the use of chemical weapons in Syria on his English-language Twitter feed, without saying who used them.

Mr. Zarif made similar comments on his Facebook page, and others went further, including a former Iranian diplomat who suggested that Iran should not put all its eggs in one basket. A former president of Iran, Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, was quoted in Iranian state media accusing Mr. Assad of using chemical weapons on his own people, though the government later disavowed those comments.

But Syria remains an essential ally for Iran, and a crucial link with Hezbollah, the Shiite movement based in Lebanon. There is no sign that Iran’s leaders are backing off; an Iranian delegation visited Mr. Assad in Damascus on Sunday to reaffirm its country’s commitment. But with the Iranian economy in tatters, the military support to Syria is costly.

“The question is, if things go badly for Assad on the battlefield, at what point would Iran let the rope go?” said Mehrzad Boroujerdi, the director of the Middle East studies program at Syracuse University.

If more evidence emerged that Mr. Assad’s military had used chemical weapons, that would raise the political cost of continuing to support him, Mr. Boroujerdi added.

One thing is clear: the statements by Iran’s leaders have shifted from earlier this year, when high-ranking Iranian officials said a foreign attack on Syria would be treated as an attack on Iran itself. There may even be some relief at the prospect of more direct American involvement in the Syrian conflict, which has occasionally been cast as “Iran’s Vietnam,” some analysts say.

“The reality is that Obama’s military action will make the Syrian tragedy his and not Iran’s,” wrote Farideh Farhi, an Iran scholar at the University of Hawaii, in an analysis published online at Lobelog.com. “And in Iran’s postelection environment, in which the country has moved toward national reconciliation — both among the elite and between the government and the population — nothing suits the Islamic Republic better than divesting itself from this issue quietly.”

For all their mutual antipathy, the United States and Iran may ultimately find common ground in Syria.

“The United States and Iran are fighting a zero-sum proxy war in Syria at the moment,” said Karim Sadjadpour, an Iran analyst at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. “If and when Assad falls, the two sides will have a mutual adversary in radical Sunni jihadists.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/03/w...ia-us-eyes-iran-talks.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

shassan655

Senator (1k+ posts)
I have read so many analysis, some Against & Pro Iran and some Against & Pro Saudia. At the end I have come to one conclusion, there is a Urdu saying .." Allah janay koon bashar haay"

molson4u

Senator (1k+ posts)
I SMELL SOMEONE SELLING GARBAGE...same fake story American are selling to its people and have told their SALFI friends to sell on muslim media. It's total wrong analysis of a white guy who don't know sh it.... they know it is easy to divide Muslims in sects. They want to feed this propaganda to Sunni public around the world that this war is about increased Shia influence via Tehran, even to the American people so people should stay away from support of Syria and approve the military action.

MIND YOU OWN BUSINESS SIR, ITS A DOMESTIC ISSUE OF A SOVEREIGN NATION, YOUR PRESENCE IS NOT REQUESTED. Follow the international law and charge Syria in international court. Bring resolution in the UN and let international community condemn Syrian government action if proved with "obvious" evidence from independent sources. if proven guilty, take the matter to security council and have sanction on Syria and if the action doesn't stop" full force of international law including the military force be used to comply. THIS IS THE LAW SIR AND YOU ARE NOT THE INTERNATIONAL POLICE.

Last edited:

karachiwala

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
I have read so many analysis, some Against & Pro Iran and some Against & Pro Saudia. At the end I have come to one conclusion, there is a Urdu saying .." Allah janay koon bashar haay"

Strange not seeing many of the member who love to hate arabs. No one coming out and saying that all Arabs are yahood or should be hanged. What happened cat got your tongue? or is that because it is against Iran being silent is the best option? Munfiqat nahin jaati

Last edited by a moderator:

ambroxo

Minister (2k+ posts)
This can be true and can not be
but Iran did actually manage a lot before US invasion in Afghanistan and ultimately in Saddam's Iraq
and only they are enjoying benefits of these wars

Last edited:

shassan655

Senator (1k+ posts)
Strange not seeing many of the member who love to hate arabs. No one coming out and saying that all Arabs are yahood or should be hanged. What happened cat got your tongue? or is that because it is against Iran being silent is the best option? Munfiqat nahin jaati

Karachiwala...is this the way to get your points across. What I said in my post is " Allah knows best". What wrong did I say. But you in return accusing me of Munafiqat...watch it please...

Raaz

(50k+ posts) بابائے فورم
Karachiwala...is this the way to get your points across. What I said in my post is " Allah knows best". What wrong did I say. But you in return accusing me of Munafiqat...watch it please...
یہ بھائی صاحب آج کل ٹورنٹو والے ہیں اور ان کا دماغ خراب ہو گیا ہے ، آخر امریکہ کی قربت کا اثر ہے

ویسے ان کو خدا بھی خواب میں نظر اتا ہے کبھی کبھی ، ذرا بچ کے رہنا​

gaozaban

MPA (400+ posts)
" Allah janay koon bashar haay" . Jab Iran k khilaaf baat aati hai to ye jumla kaha jata hai. Jab Kisi aur musalman mulk ke khilaf baat aati hai to phir in logon ki gohar afshaaniyaan sunnay ke qabil hoti hain.

shassan655

Senator (1k+ posts)
" Allah janay koon bashar haay"...Now you guys ( Karachiwala & gaozaban) not sure how well understand Urdu. But let me explain as to when we use this.

When we cannot decide who is right or wrong then we say it's only Allah knows who is right or wrong. Now, in my previous posts I have mentioned it several times that " NO ONE IS SAINT". Both parties are culprit and innocent poor people are loosing their family members and livelihood. I will never defend Iran or Saudi-Arabia. Both have done alot of damage. This is a geo-political game and Allah knows how many more will be killed. But may Allah have mercy on us all.

Let's take an example of Pakistan. Saudia & Iran both are supporting the terrorist outfits and who is dying we the people praying in Masjid's and Imam Bargah's. So before you know what I stand for...stop your " Fatwa Factory" and calling other person " Munafiq". May Allah help and guide us otherwise we muslims have done enough damage to the Muslim nation, we don't need external enemies.

karachiwala

یہ بھائی صاحب آج کل ٹورنٹو والے ہیں اور ان کا دماغ خراب ہو گیا ہے ، آخر امریکہ کی قربت کا اثر ہے

ویسے ان کو خدا بھی خواب میں نظر اتا ہے کبھی کبھی ، ذرا بچ کے رہنا​

Even when writing Urdu you cannot get your message across. Get a life.

karachiwala

Read my post again. It is against those who are always out here calling names to Arabs and other Muslims. But when it comes to Iran you see none of them coming here. So if you read English which it seems you do then go ahead and read my post again.

zhohaq

Minister (2k+ posts)
Most of the analysis is correct, Iran has benefited alot from conflict in Syria at negligible cost.

Here is a noted Liberal MP from Iraq and Shia Cleric Ayad Jamal Adin

His analysis is sombre but accurate.

Either way the Muslim world is hurling towards the sectarian cliff.

Cant be stopped now.

muntazir

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)

اس تھریڈ میں ایسا کیا ہے جس پر بندا بولے ہاں جی کوئی بات ہے تم کو اتنا کچھ یہاں دکھایا ہے پر تماری عقل کے ساتھ ساتھ آنکھیں بھی بند ہیں اسس لے جب تک تعصب نہیں چھوڑو گے تم کو کچھ نہیں دکھائی دے گا اسس لے اپنا موہاسبا کرو

muntazir

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Most of the analysis is correct, Iran has benefited alot from conflict in Syria at negligible cost.

Cant be stopped now.

???? ?? ?? ??? ????? ??? ???? ???? ???? ?? ???? ???? ?? ?? ?? ?????? ?????? ?? ???? ??? ?? ?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???? ?? ???? ?????? ?? ????? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ????? ?? ????? ?? ?????? ????? ?????

shassan655

Senator (1k+ posts)

Cant be stopped now.

Thanks for sharing this Video clip...zhohaq...You have absolutely nailed it by saying we muslims are hurling towards the sectarian cliff. That's why I always say after Namaz we all should pray that this war should not turn into Sectarian killings otherwise alot of countries will be joining this mahem. Allah protect the muslim Ummah and have mercy on us.