Hillary Clinton says not pursuing top job at World Bank

simple_and_peacefull

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
LUSAKA: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Friday said she is not pursuing the top job at the World Bank after a media report that she was seeking to become the institutions next head.

With respect to the World Bank, I have had no discussions with anyone,Clinton said when asked about a Reuters news agency report that she was considering applying for the job after completing her term as top US diplomat next year.

I have evidenced no interest to anyone, I do not have any interest and I am not pursuing that position, Clinton said during a visit to Zambia.

But I am absolutely dedicated to my service as secretary of state, Clinton said during a press conference with Zambian President Rupiah Banda.

We have a lot of work ahead of us and we are doing all we can to implement the vision our improved and growing relationship around the world, including right here in Africa, on behalf of our country, she said.

Reuters said Clinton was in discussions with the White House to leave her job next year and take over as head of the World Bank, replacing Robert Zoellick, should he leave at the end of his term in mid-2012.

A source close to the global lender had earlier this week indicated to AFP that the United States was studying Clintons possible candidacy for head of the World Bank, where an American has traditionally held the top job.

But senior officials in President Barack Obamas administration have adamantly denied the Reuters report, with one close advisor to Clinton, Philippe Reines, calling it 100 percent untrue. She has expressed absolutely no interest in the job. She would not take it if offered, Reines told AFP when the story broke.

White House spokesman Jay Carney also said the report was completely untrue.

Clinton has publicly said on several occasions that she will step down as secretary of state at the end of the current administration, and speculation has swirled around her future plans.

The former first lady and New York senator has been a major figure in the Democratic Party since the 1990s and waged a months-long political war of attrition with Obama in the close-fought 2008 presidential primary.

The two former rivals swiftly mended fences after Obama won the nomination, however, and by all accounts have worked well together.

http://www.dawn.com/2011/06/11/clinton-says-not-pursuing-top-job-at-world-bank.html