Election NA 55 - Count Down, Build up & Results Thread

A

Admin

Polling for NA-55 by-elections kicks off

RAWALPNDI: The polling for by-elections in NA-55 has commenced here at 8am, which will continue sans any break until 5pm at 250 polling stations with over 600 polling booths, Geo news reported on Wednesday morning.

The Punjab government has announced a local holiday today (Wednesday) here in connection with the by-elections.

Rawalpindi CPO Rao Iqbal told Geo news on Tuesday that Rangers and Elite Force commandoes were guarding Sheikh Rashid Ahmed and other candidates. He said one SSP, five SPs and 10 DSPs were deputed in this constituency containing eight police stations.

This is the third election in the constituency in two years, including the general elections in 2008 and one by-polls held in the same year.

In both elections, the PML-N candidates Javed Hashmi and Haji Pervaiz Khan emerged victorious.

Javed Hashmi had swept the general elections with a huge margin. He vacated the seat from NA-55 after being elected from four constituencies in the 2008 general elections.

The seat was again retained by Haji Pervaiz. However, his involvement in the examination scandal forced him to resign from the seat.

In the last by-polls, Sheikh Rashid did not contest from NA-55. With the seat of NA-55 falling vacant after the resignation of Haji Pervaiz, the Punjab government had postponed the polls time and again due to the poor law and order situation.

However, Sheikh Rashid had approached the Supreme Court in this connection, which ordered the Punjab government to hold by-polls in NA-55.

The main contest would be between Sheikh Rashid, Awami Muslim League president, and PML-Ns Malik Shakeel Awan. Nonetheless, vote bank of Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf (PTI) and Jamat-e-Islami (JI) will play an important role.

It is estimated that if PTIs Ijaz Khan Jazi grabs more than 10,000 votes, Sheikh Rashids victory is likely. Matter-of-factly, JIs around 5,000-7,000 voters are always found very obedient when it comes to elections anywhere in Pakistan.

In the past, these two parties had sympathies with PML N that proved helpful for the latters success at many a place. Now that they have their own candidates, the PML-N is going to go through hot waters.

On the basis of this triangle of confrontation in addition to support by the PML-Q and the PPP, it seems that Sheikh Rashid will benefit. Dissidents of PML-N will also strive to tip the scale in his favour.

A political analyst says this is a do-or-die situation for Sheikh Rashid. If he loses, it will be an end to his political career, he said.

Importance of this seat for the PML-N can be assessed by the fact that party chief Nawaz Sharif had to rush in the constituency to pull through a public meeting, collecting support for his candidate.

Defeat in this by-election, the experts think, will amount to beginning of a downfall of PML-N as a political party.

This is the reason that Malik Shakeel Awan is struggling hard with the help of his experienced party leaders to win. The public meeting of Nawaz Sharif has also encouraged Shakeel Awan a great deal.

Nawazish

Minister (2k+ posts)
Sheikh Rasheed Just cast his vote and he is claiming that he caught some people cheating.

Also crticized Hamid Mir on Yesterday's capital talk.

Eventhough I dont support Sheikh Rasheed but what Hamid Mir did yesterday was absolutely disgraceful [wall]

mehwish_ali

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Adeel said:

Nawaz Sharif said his party would try all dictators in the peoples court if elected to form a government at the centre. Without naming former president Musharraf, he said Ali Baba had fled the country but his 40 thieves were there.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/daw ... -320-rs-03" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What is Nawaz Sharif talking about Ali Baba and 40 thieves? This story has no resemblance to Musharraf.

Ali Baba was never a part or leader of 40 theives, and Ali Baba never fled etc.

Could any one please enlighten me upon this Story and usage of if by Nawaz Sharif?

sakayani

Senator (1k+ posts)
Shakeel Awan has won

LAHORE: Vote count started following the completion of polling for by-election in NA-55 constituency here amid cries of foul play by Chief of Awami Muslim League, Sheikh Rashid, Geo News reported Wednesday.

Unofficial results that have started pouring in show Pakistan Muslim League-N candidate Shakil Awan in clear lead over Sheikh Rashid in a neck-and-neck competition between the two.

FlyHigh

Senator (1k+ posts)
Re: Shakeel Awan has won

sakayani said:
LAHORE: Vote count started following the completion of polling for by-election in NA-55 constituency here amid cries of foul play by Chief of Awami Muslim League, Sheikh Rashid, Geo News reported Wednesday.

Unofficial results that have started pouring in show Pakistan Muslim League-N candidate Shakil Awan in clear lead over Sheikh Rashid in a neck-and-neck competition between the two.

My great city has voted for a change. Rasheed was the most powerful leader in Pindi but when he decided to side with the chors of PPP, people voted against him. Can other cities follow this examples, like the people a city who held hostage to a single party. They dare not vote against that urban wedera.

alihbkable

MPA (400+ posts)
sHEIKH GOES HOME CRYING!

gO 2 HELL mUSHARRAF AND HIS aLLIES. tHIS NATION WILL NEVER EVER FORGIVE U FOR ANYTHING U DID TO THIS NATION.

wE HATE U N WILL KEEP HATING U, NO MATTER WHAT MASKS U WEAR.

hELL TO U bASTARDS.

waleed1214

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
TRUST ME,shakeel awan is no better,he would be same as like ANJUM AQEEL KHAN,who is the MNA of my consituency never seen him in these two years,these people are the same people with different FACES.

I guess CHANGE WON'T come,because our nation doesn't supports new people.

We are the tresurars and believers of NEW RECIPE made by those same old CROOKS sorry i meant to say COOKS. :)

M

Murshad Jee

Poor Sheikh Rasheed.................... [hilar]
p5qeWko75sXBdFnkugUx1w.jpg

alihbkable

MPA (400+ posts)
waleed1214 said:
TRUST ME,shakeel awan is no better,he would be same as like ANJUM AQEEL KHAN,who is the MNA of my consituency never seen him in these two years,these people are the same people with different FACES.

We are the tresurars and believers of NEW RECIPE made by those same old CROOKS sorry i meant to say COOKS. :)

Yar! itni jaldi haar maanne wali kia baat hai? We all knew that this will happen. Tension kiun laita hai? jab hum kejhte hain k our leader has taken the longer route and no matter what it takes and how long it takes, we r with our leader that is none other than IK. Hum aakhri ball, blke akhri saans tk larne wale log hain.

Next election will b ours. Allah khair kerega. Dont worry.
Hail Imran...........We love Imran.....He is our Messiah

Councller (250+ posts)

PTI kidhar gi lagta hy moon chopae chopae phir ra hain. Ek ur zilat ameez sikhast - tuf hy. Chulo bhar pani main doop mar jana chaie. Ek seat jeet ni sakte baten PM ki karte hain.

Main ne phaly hi bola tha PTI sirf siasat.pk per hi jeet sakti hy. Bhai log harne ja jashan kab mana ray hoo. [hilar] [hilar]

waleed1214

Same old story,after one year people would also get tired of PML(N),and then ,then what??,Our people i think can even vote for PML(Q).

Is there ANY HOPE FOR CHANGE~~~???!!! :?: :?: [hmmm] [wall]

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)

FlyHigh said:
sakayani said:

My great city has voted for a change. Rasheed was the most powerful leader in Pindi but when he decided to side with the chors of PPP, people voted against him. Can other cities follow this examples, like the people a city who held hostage to a single party. They dare not vote against that urban wedera.

People have spoken. Loosers should greet the winner with open arms.

I suspect Rashid will claim 'rigging' in his press conference soon

Geo showed live pic of Rasheed with music in the background

Ja apni hasraton pe aansu baha key so ja

Funnys it may be, but it was terrible. TV is supposed to be neutral

alihbkable

MPA (400+ posts)

shuker hai. Sheeda chor ghar gayaa. Now this nation will b able to divert its mind tro ome better thing.

sakayani

Senator (1k+ posts)

I hoped Ejaz Jazi would have won but anyway, its not only a defeat for Shaikh but also for PPP and PMLQ + Maulana Diesel. So its a big defeat.

waleed1214

alihbkable said:
waleed1214 said:

Yar! itni jaldi haar maanne wali kia baat hai? We all knew that this will happen. Tension kiun laita hai? jab hum kejhte hain k our leader has taken the longer route and no matter what it takes and how long it takes, we r with our leader that is none other than IK. Hum aakhri ball, blke akhri saans tk larne wale log hain.

Next election will b ours. Allah khair kerega. Dont worry.
Hail Imran...........We love Imran.....He is our Messiah

Mein nay haar naee MANI laikin apnay logo ko dekh kay aisay DUKH hota hai,HOW THESE POLITICAL LEADERS EXPLOIT THEM,IS THIS SANITY!!

AB IS forum pay shoor mach jaee ga TANGA PARTY and stuff,i know i am right of supporting MY LEADER,but in ko convince anr bata bata kay MEIN THUK GYA HN!!!