Corporate and NGOs sector of Pakistan has teamed up to fool the nation AGAIN (Part 2)

mardankhan

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Note: This is part 2 of my earlier blogs:

Do read part 1 by clicking here, otherwise you will not get the whole story.

The event took place on the proposed date. I didn’t go because it had lost its credibility in my eyes; however, my other friend did go. His opinion: “it was a mess”. People gathered, received awards and brawled on the lunch as they usually do in marriages (You know what I mean…?).

As expected, I sighed and patted myself on the back (quietly) for saving my precious time by not attending the event.

Being a student on the subject matter, I got hurt from this experience and therefore, could not sit idle. Where is the problem? I whispered to myself. What can I do about it? Am I the only one who is getting uneasy due to such corrupt practices or is there any other my kind of INNOCENTS too who feels the same?

Phew…! I hope I am not alone…!

Hence, I decided to start writing about it and make the public more aware. That’s all I could do. Poor Me..!

CSR.jpg

For a start, I feel that there is a huge gap in the understanding of this notion among the common public of Pakistan. They confuse CSR with philanthropy – charitable giving – most of the time. However, the notion is much broader than just charity. In one of my earlier blogs, I gave some definitions of CSR. Among them, the most comprehensive of all is the definition ofInternational Labor Organization (ILO) which defines CSR as "a way in which enterprises give consideration to the impact of their operations on society and affirm their principles and values both in their own internal methods and processes and in their interaction with other actors. CSR is a voluntary, enterprise-driven initiative and refers to activities that are considered to exceed compliance with the law."(ILO website).

Now compare this definition with the current situation that I explained in part 1 of this article and use you own imaginations where are we heading? Don’t worry; I’ll help you explain if it is confusing.

In simple words, it says that organizations operate in a particular area for the purpose of making money. Now, this purpose is not bad at all, but, these organizations should behave responsibly by not only giving their due rights to all the stakeholders (shareholders, investors, employees, customers, environment, society etc.), but to go beyond their legal responsibilities and play its role in community development, environmental protection, outstanding customer care and employees’ well being.

Though some multinational and few local companies in Pakistan claim that they behave responsibly; however, there is no independent audit and verification system in the country to warrant/verify these claims. All we see are such kind of fake award ceremonies which tells you nothing but to puzzle you even more. Moreover, CSR are volunteer practices which mean that Government (SECP) only encourages organizations to adopt CSR practices. Under such circumstances, how can we convince these organizations to adopt genuine CSR practices and not just rely on green-wash techniques for claiming tax rebates and use it as a marketing tool etc.?

One solution is to raise awareness about the business case for CSR. Numerous studies in the developed and developing countries suggest that CSR is a source of competitive advantage. However, a serious gap in such studies is that they are not sure that what sort of CSR practices can give competitive advantage? I think this is the main reason that organization just rely on lip service and claim to be responsible but in reality, things are contradictory. For example, how many organizations in Pakistan offer customers a return policy with no questions asked?

I guess none, but if you know any, please enlighten me too. I will be grateful.

Recent studies suggest that if organizations use CSR for marketing and other instrumental purposes only such as tax rebates etc. then it will be considered as irresponsible behavior which may lead to negative reactions from different stakeholders including customers and employees. I recently conducted a research on the CSR activities of telecom sector of Pakistan and concluded that if employees attribute CSR practices to moral and responsible causes then it will have positive impact on their creative performance. Furthermore, if they attribute it to more instrumental purposes, then such performance will be reduced. More alarming is that the negative impacts are stronger than the positive ones. Therefore, more caution is needed in adaptation and selection of genuine CSR practices.

Secondly, public awareness campaigns need to be organized in order to raise awareness among stakeholders about their rights and responsibilities. More genuine, credible and transparent societal pressure groups (organizations) must be formed to raise voice for the equal rights of all the stakeholders as well as to provide policy guidelines to the authorities for more effective decision making.

CSR reporting must be made transparent which is audited and/or verified by some credible third party organizations which can also certify such claims. For this purpose, many international organizations have outlined some standards which can be consulted e.g.Global Reporting Initiatives (GRI) and ISO 26000 and The UnitedNations’ Global Goals for Sustainable Development to name a few. More important is the will of the organizations.They must walk the talk.

I can count numerous other suggestions however, I don’t want to make you guys tire out. Just one last suggestion though; please raise your voice and stand against such corrupt practices, will you…? I am sure you will.

Source

Last edited by a moderator: