Be firm with Pakistan on extremism: British MP

gazoomartian

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Gazoo's Note:

Islamabad should install the full body scan, the ones US/UK had installed earlier in 2010, not that I am dying to see the short fuse in his pants.

Problems of terrorists in PakIndia can be rectified very easy. dont send your - CIA/MOSSAD/RAW - terrorists and see the peace return. Tehreek's killing is miniscule compared to the atrocities that Indian army committed in Kashmir. May be Obama needs a glasses or a visual lesson about the atrocities.

WASHINGTON: Western powers must be firm with Pakistan about its need to crack down on extremists, but there is no alternative to continuing to work directly with Islamabad, British lawmaker David Miliband said Friday.

Miliband, foreign secretary from 2007 until Britains Labour Party lost power last year, voiced alarm at the influence inside Pakistani society of Lashkar-e-Taiba, a militant group blamed for the deadly 2008 siege of Mumbai.

We should be engaging with Pakistan; on the other hand, I feel very comfortable speaking very plainly about the responsibilities that they have, Miliband said at the Council on Foreign Relations in Washington.

Pakistan needs to do more to hold assailants for the Mumbai attack accountable and if Lashkar-e-Taiba is expanding its reach, then we need to be even more insistent on the need to roll up that infrastructure, he said.

But Miliband, who said he would soon travel to Pakistan, called on the United States along with the South Asian nations neighbors to keep trying to engage both politically and economically.

One of the most chilling things Ive heard and read over the last few months is that America has a choice about whether or not to sever its links with Pakistan, Miliband said.

Because if you think it difficult, frustrating, enervating, dangerous dealing with Pakistan at the moment as a partner, try fulfilling your own interests in South Asia without Pakistan as a partner, he said.

Miliband welcomed a letter sent by President Barack Obama to his Pakistani counterpart Asif Ali Zardari in late 2009, in which the US leader offered expanded cooperation but demanded Islamabad do more against militants in India and Afghanistan.

It was a very important step, proposing a strategic relationship for the US and Pakistan to replace the unbalanced essentially military-only relationship, individual leader-based relationship of the past, he said.

I have criticized the Pakistani government for the way in which it failed adequately to respond to the significance of the outreach, he said.

Dawn

T

terex

@author :gazoon

i have not heard of any person dying in kashmir because of indian police mistakes this year!!
but in pakistan,we see taliban menace spreading daily!!

people in indian kashmir have more per capita income than pakistan!!
they have better infrastructure,industry and democratic gov than pakistan!!

recently they voted 80 % for village panchayat!!

Only 1000 stooges likes geelani who is pakistan agent ,creates trouble in valley!!

And shiya of valley,sunni people of kargil,drass;buddhists,hindus and muslims (dogras) of ladakh and jammu are with india completely!!

so dont keep writing kashmir for sake of it!!
but no one is ready to question growing influence of taliban support in pakistan but you all feel sad once americans attack those talibans homes !!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mansoor Khan

Senator (1k+ posts)
bro terex how u get all this information ? i think u should recheck ur sources. coz we live there and we know what is around. there isnt any increase or any change. just they do these stupid thing on small scale most of the time which are suspicious we have blackwaters and many other things. bro take care about naxalites the area of them is more than area of pakistan. u l lose a lot big part so waste ur time on ur issues. here ur comments are really jokes for us