Anybody have some info about tasawwuf(sufi ism)

BroInIslam

Voter (50+ posts)
Opinion of the four Imams of Ahlus Sunnah in favour of Sufism(Tasawwuf):

Imam-e-Azam Abu Hanifa (rah) (85 H. - 150 H)
"If it were not for two years, I would have perished." He said, "For two years I accompanied Sayyidina Ja'far as-Sadiq and I acquired the spiritual knowledge that made me a gnostic in the Way." [Ad-Durr al-Mukhtar, vol 1. p. 43]

Imam Malik (rah) (95 H. - 179 H.)
"whoever studies Jurisprudence (tafaqaha) and didn't study Sufism [tasawwafa] will be corrupted; and whoever studied Sufism and didn't study Jurisprudence will become a heretic; and whoever combined both will reach the Truth." [the scholar 'Ali al-Adawi' , vol. 2, p 195.)

Imam Shafi'i (rah) (150 - 205 AH.)
"I accompanied the Sufi people and I received from them three knowledges: ... how to speak; .. how to treat people with leniency and a soft heart... and they... guided me in the ways of Sufism." [Kashf al-Khafa, 'Ajluni, vol. 1, p 341.]

Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal (rah) (164 - 241 AH.)
"O my son, you have to sit with the People of Sufism, because they are like a fountain of knowledge and they keep the remembrance of Allah in their hearts. They are the ascetics and they have the most spiritual power." [Tanwir al-Qulub p. 405]

hmaliks Wrote :-
Imam Abu Hanifa (85 H. - 150 H) said: "If it were not for two years, I would have perished." He said, "for two years I accompanied Sayyidina Ja'far as-Sadiq and I acquired the spiritual knowledge that made me a Sufi in the Way." [Ad-Durr al-Mukhtar, vol 1. p. 43]
====
Your quotation seems to be wrong i dont think its in Durr Al Mukhtar its a rifada saying.

hmaliks wrote:-
Imam Malik (95 H. - 179 H.) said: "Whoever studies Jurisprudence / Fiqh [tafaqaha] and didn't study Sufism [tasawwaf] will be corrupted; and whoever studied Sufism and didn't study Jurisprudence will become a heretic; and whoever combined both will reach the Truth." ['Ali al-Adawi , vol. 2, p 195]
================
This statement is denied and questioned because:
The term "Sufiaa" only appeared later on after the death of Imam Malik.
None of the Imam Malik books or his students who quoted his fatwa and statements ever mentioned it.
http://www.siasat.pk/forum/member.php?9413-hmaliks
hmaliks wrote
Imam Shafi'i (150 - 205 AH.) said: "I accompanied the Sufi people and I received from them three strands of knowledge: ...how to speak; how to treat people with leniency and a soft heart... and they... guided me in the ways of Sufism." [Kashf al-Khafa, 'Ajluni, vol. 1, p 341.]
==========
The quote is wrongly translated. This quote was said after the shafie read a so called hadith so he said:
And never mentioed company of sufi but he only said in the end: follow the way of people of taswauf.
this narration is weak. needless to add, this book that he quoted from is a book to show farication hadeeths.
If, Anyhow, the word was said, then know those of people taswauf were people like sufyaan, ibn almubarak and junaid who have nothing to with sufi today.

As for Imam Hanbal he was one most ardent critic of Sufism.

zubair.maalick

MPA (400+ posts)
Re: The Ease and Simplicity of Islam

I hope people could understand it ...
You are going to get fatwas on your last para .. get ready for it ;)

Knowledge Seeker

Senator (1k+ posts)
Need some input from the members,some one who can shed some light on this topic, what it is, how it started,is it necessary to follow it?????????

:alhamd:, other forum members have already provided very valuable information regarding the remarkable role of Ahle Tasawwuf to spread Islam around the world. In fact, A vast majority of people who belongs to Indo-Pak origion are Muslim today due to the fact that their ancestors had accepted Islam due to the extraordinary way of Dawah of Ahle Tasawwuf.

Try to read the work of great Imam Abu Hamid al-Ghazali[450-505 AH/1058-1111 AD] (May Allah Bless Him) specially Iḥya Ulum Id-dīn( The Revival of the Religious Sciences ) for more insight into this subject.

Imam Al-Ghazali's Posts

Imam Al GHazali

Knowledge Seeker

Senator (1k+ posts)
Opinion of the four Imams of Ahlus Sunnah in favour of Sufism(Tasawwuf):

Imam-e-Azam Abu Hanifa (rah) (85 H. - 150 H)
"If it were not for two years, I would have perished." He said, "For two years I accompanied Sayyidina Ja'far as-Sadiq and I acquired the spiritual knowledge that made me a gnostic in the Way." [Ad-Durr al-Mukhtar, vol 1. p. 43]

Imam Malik (rah) (95 H. - 179 H.)
"whoever studies Jurisprudence (tafaqaha) and didn't study Sufism [tasawwafa] will be corrupted; and whoever studied Sufism and didn't study Jurisprudence will become a heretic; and whoever combined both will reach the Truth." [the scholar 'Ali al-Adawi' , vol. 2, p 195.)

Imam Shafi'i (rah) (150 - 205 AH.)
"I accompanied the Sufi people and I received from them three knowledges: ... how to speak; .. how to treat people with leniency and a soft heart... and they... guided me in the ways of Sufism." [Kashf al-Khafa, 'Ajluni, vol. 1, p 341.]

Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal (rah) (164 - 241 AH.)
"O my son, you have to sit with the People of Sufism, because they are like a fountain of knowledge and they keep the remembrance of Allah in their hearts. They are the ascetics and they have the most spiritual power." [Tanwir al-Qulub p. 405]

Jazak Allah brother for very precise, and subject-oriented post furnished with reliable references.

babadeena

Minister (2k+ posts)
Both the terms Sufi and Sufism and Sufi beliefs have no basis from the traditional Islamic sources of the Qur'an and Sunnah, a fact even admitted by themselves. Rather, Sufism is in essence a conglomerate consisting of extracts from a multitude of other religions with which Sufi's interacted.

Then what is left in it? Allah's refugee is sought!

samar

Minister (2k+ posts)
Sufi Ism is the real Islam bcs Islam is not just a collection of dos and donts its not just a collection of rituals all thes rituals thes dos and donts must have an objective and a reason.
In Islam actions are justified on the bases of the intentions behind them.

aamal ka daromadaar niyatoo pe he.

Niyat is not some thing physical it cannot be judjed by some rituals or actions For pure niyat you need a pure inner self as there are teachers for all things you intend to learn same is the case with this.

For purifying your innerself you need a spritual teacher called a sufi ,Murshid ,Sheikh who refers you different Zikars to purify your heart (sirf Allah ki zikr se hi dillo ko sukoon milta he) wid Zikr of Allah your heat purifies and after that you can do TASDEEQ um BIL QALB after iqraar um billesaan.

Message of a Wali Allah is of love and path is of shariat. some fake people are using the name of such people to gain worldly benefits but such people are popular nowadays its a trend in the society that bad people get more popular as compared to good people.

In these days one needs to read books of great Awlia Allah so that he can figure out the true ones from the fake ones and most important thing is to understand the fact that there is no law that son of a Wali Allah would be a Wali Allah so stay away from Gaddi Nasheen Bcs 99% of them are only enjoying their life as a Pir bcs their grand grand father was a PIR.

Nobody can give you a short cut shariat is must and tasawwuf is something extra for people whose love for Allah is more than normal people its not something less or something new.

Last edited:

Siasat-pk

Voter (50+ posts)
Sufi Ism is the real Islam bcs Islam is not just a collection of dos and donts its not just a collection of rituals all thes rituals thes dos and donts must have an objective and a reason.
In Islam actions are justified on the bases of the intentions behind them.

aamal ka daromadaar niyatoo pe he.

Niyat is not some thing physical it cannot be judjed by some rituals or actions For pure niyat you need a pure inner self as there are teachers for all things you intend to learn same is the case with this.

For purifying your innerself you need a spritual teacher called a sufi ,Murshid ,Sheikh who refers you different Zikars to purify your heart (sirf Allah ki zikr se hi dillo ko sukoon milta he) wid Zikr of Allah your heat purifies and after that you can do TASDEEQ um BIL QALB after iqraar um billesaan.

Message of a Wali Allah is of love and path is of shariat. some fake people are using the name of such people to gain worldly benefits but such people are popular nowadays its a trend in the society that bad people get more popular as compared to good people.

In these days one needs to read books of great Awlia Allah so that he can figure out the true ones from the fake ones and most important thing is to understand the fact that there is no law that son of a Wali Allah would be a Wali Allah so stay away from Gaddi Nasheen Bcs 99% of them are only enjoying their life as a Pir bcs their grand grand father was a PIR.

Nobody can give you a short cut shariat is must and tasawwuf is something extra for people whose love for Allah is more than normal people its not something less or something new.

Samar, Do you think that you have more knowledge about Islam than Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)? Why didn't our beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUM) preached Sufism?

Could you please provide references from Quraan and Authentic Hadith (Sahih Sitta) to justify your above comments?

Last edited:

samar

Minister (2k+ posts)
Samar, Do you think that you have more knowledge about Islam than Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)? Why didn't our beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUM) preached Sufism?

Could you please provide references from Quraan and Authentic Hadith (Sahih Sitta) to justify your above comments?

Well Mr. i think you have zero knowledge about tassawaf to say that.

who says tasawwaf is something which is not preached by the Holy prophet s.a.w ??????????

give me some proofs for your point. one thing more dont try to be personal wid me and disrespectful to the Holy prophet if you have some argument go ahead with it otherwise you can get a good responce

hassam

MPA (400+ posts)

Bhai I request you to make a valid argument. There was nothing like Ijmah, Qayas or munazrah in the life of Holy Prophet (PBUH) all that came after him. The concept of welfare state put forward by Hazrat Umar also came after him. It is very typical of human nature that if they do not understand something they argue against it. If you are a mulsim and I am a muslim it is because of these Sufis that we are bent upon maligning. That one things speaks volumes about their achievements. There may be a few that went astray but majority of them were on the right path and may be their next generation made mistakes in interpretting their concepts. Look at the facts and not the theories. Try to focus on what is common than what is different and let Allah be the judge. What these Sufis has acheived in Asia outside the Arab peninsula is unprecedented. Extermeism is not good. Allah has said in Quran that "He has made us a Motadil ummat". I do not understand thier core concepts really well. I do not like Qabar parasti and is against going to the Mazar and stuff and introducing new concepts in Islam without a proper reference from Quran and Hadeeth, but I would think a 1000 times before saying anything against these Sofis becuase Me and my whole family and my ancestors are muslims becuase of them. Not becuase of any imam or Molana Abdul Wahab or ICNA or ISNA. Give them some credit and read history and try to undersand where things went wrong.

samar

Minister (2k+ posts)
A nice Explanation/Definition of tasawwuf (sufi ism)

Many people here have some family issues with Dr. Tahir Ul Qadri (due to which they divert the debate from argument to personality) so this time to spread the message i have chosen Professor Ahmad Rafiq Akhtar so that most of the people here can understand saufiism /Mysticism with an open mind rather than a pre calibrated mind.

The Language is also English and the audience in focus is educated people rather than ordinary people.

huss39

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Re: A nice Explanation/Definition of tasawwuf (sufi ism)

after listening to all of speech I still did not get what is sufism. what is it to do with Islam. Can I be a muslim without going through this procedure of tariqa, salook ,murakba,fana fiallah,following sheikh etc.
Please somebody guide me.

Siasat-pk

Voter (50+ posts)
Quraan and Hadeeth and innovatios in Islam

O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger, and those charged with authority among you. If ye differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to Allah and HisMessenger, if ye do believe in Allah and the Last Day: That is best, and most suitable for final determination.(Quraan, 4:59)
[FONT=&quot]: [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]اے ایمان والو الله کی فرمانبرداری کرو اور رسول کی فرمانبرداری کرو اور ان لوگوں کی جو تم میں سے حاکم ہوں پھراگر آپس میں کوئی چیز میں جھگڑا کرو تو اسے الله اور اس کے رسول کی طرف پھیرو اگر تم الله اور قیامت کے دن پر یقین رکھتے ہو یہی بات اچھی ہے اور انجام کے لحاظ سے بہت بہتر ہے[/FONT]​

A Muslim always refers back to the Quran and narrations of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) called the Sunnah, in matters of religion. Allah tells us in the Quran:
It is not for a believing man or a believing woman, when God and His Messenger have decided a matter, they should [thereafter] have any choice about their affair. And whoever disobeys God and His Messenger has certainly strayed into clear error.(Quran 33:36)

Prophet Muhammad (
pbuh) stressed the importance of following the Quran and Sunnah and the danger of introducing any innovations into Islam. It is known that the Prophet said: “Whoever does a deed which is not in accordance to my commands (i.e. the Islamic Law), it shall be rejected.” (Saheeh Muslim)

Ibn Mas’ood
(a companion of the prophet), may God be pleased with him, said: “The Messenger of God, may the blessing and mercy of God be upon him, made a straight line on the ground with his hand, then he said, “This is the straight path of God.” Then he made a (short) line on each side of the straight line; then he said, ‘These (short) lines, each one has a devil inviting people to it.” Then he recited the verse (of the Quran): “And this is My path straight. So follow it, and do not follow (other) ways, lest they lead you away from My path.” (Quran 6:153)
Saheeh: Reported by Ahmad and an-Nasaae’e.

A Muslim therefore is required to obey Allah and His Messenger (pbuh). This is the highest authority in Islam. One is not to blindly follow religious leaders; rather, we as humans are required to use the faculties given to us by Allah, to think and reason. Sufism, on the other hand, is a binding order that strips one of free thought and personal discretion and puts him at the mercy of the Sheikh of the order… as it has been said by some Sufi elders, ‘one must be with their Sheikh as a dead person is while being washed’, i.e. one should not argue, or oppose the opinion of the Sheikh and must display total obedience and submission to him.

Last edited:

samar

Minister (2k+ posts)

after listening to all of speech I still did not get what is sufism. what is it to do with Islam. Can I be a muslim without going through this procedure of tariqa, salook ,murakba,fana fiallah,following sheikh etc.

I am really surprised to know that.

I cannot believe what you say , I think if you listen to the first part only , you cannot say i do not know what is sufi ism.

can you plz clearly ask what you intend to ask bcs your question is very general.

Raaz

(50k+ posts) بابائے فورم

Momin is one step higher than Muslim.
the other name of momin is sufi.

And about Momin , as some one said, مسلمان الله کو مانتا ہے اور مومن الله کی مانتا ہے

Quran hum se monin hone ka taqaza karta hae-

Siasat-pk

Voter (50+ posts)

Momin is one step higher than Muslim.
the other name of momin is sufi.

And about Momin , as some one said, مسلمان الله کو مانتا ہے اور مومن الله کی مانتا ہے

Raaz, You are talking about the religion Islam and here you are not talking to stupid Mureeds who blindly follow their Peers.

Please give reference to Quraan and Hadeeth to support your above comments.

Make sure to give quotation from Quraan and Authentic Hadeeths (Sahih Sitta) only. Again, please quote only what Allah and HIS Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) has said on this topic.

Last edited:

samar

Minister (2k+ posts)

Raaz, You are talking about the religion Islam and here you are not talking to stupid Mureeds who blindly follow their Peers.

Please give reference to Quraan and Hadeeth to support your above comments.

Make sure to give quotation from Quraan and Authentic Hadeeths (Sahih Sitta) only. Again, please quote only what Allah and HIS Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) has said on this topic.

No one is stupid enough to follow someone blindly ?????

Do you follow Islam blindly ????

Don't present arguments that are against your own beliefs, they also say seeing is believing where would you place yourself beliefs on the basis of this assumption ????

You cannot call someone stupid on the basis on which your own belief stands. You are also a blind follower. Ask yourself why you believe in what you believe ???? you would get the answer who is blind follower.

You are blind enough to see when sufia karam came to subcontinent. why those who accepted their teachings are called muslims ?????????

why people left the religion of their fore fathers by blindly following a sufi ????????

And how they were impressed by this sufi who according to you has nothing to do with quran o hadyt ???????

If a person has no base of islam in his teachings then how people that follow him are called Muslims ?????????

Plz come up with a logical argument after answering my questions.

Last edited: