A Brief History Of Hadith Collection And Criticism

Pakistani1947

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
A Brief History Of Hadith Collection And Criticism a Lecture by Dr.Jonathan Brown, a Muslim convert, one of current hadith scholars (Assistant Professor of Islamic Studies), he teaches at University of Washington in Seattle.

According to Dr. Brown, "I have never been more impressed with anybody in history in my life than with Muslim hadith scholars. I mean, when I first started studying hadith I was very skeptical, I though it was all made-up and bogus but the more you study it the more you just appreciate the intense brain power of these people."

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XulKyLhS694[/video]

For those who are interested heres a part of the CV of Dr Jonathan Brown:

CURRENT POSITIONS:

University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
Assistant Professor of Islamic Studies, Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations

Oxford Encyclopedia of the Islamic World
Advisory Editor, 2005-2008

EDUCATION:

University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
Ph.D. in Islamic Thought, Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations,
2001-August 2006 with honors
Minor: Modern Middle East History

Center for Arabic Study Abroad (CASA), Cairo, Egypt
Certificate in Arabic language, June 2000-June 2001

Georgetown University, Washington, DC
Bachelor of Arts in History, magna cum laude, May 2000
Minor in Russian Language
Phi Beta Kappa awarded junior year (May 1999)
Completed Certificate in Islam and Muslim-Christian Understanding

LANGUAGES:

Arabic (fluent Classical, Egyptian and Saudi Arabic)
Persian (advanced reading knowledge, fluent spoken)
Urdu (basic)
Epigraphic South Arabian (reading knowledge of Ma’inian, Sabaic and other dialects of ancient South Arabian)
French (fluent reading and speaking)
German (reading knowledge)
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION & COMPETENCE:

Specialization

History of Islam, Islamic Law, Qur'aan and Hadith, Sufism, Salafi and Wahhabi Islam, Islamic Historiography, Hermeneutic Traditions in Islam, Early Islamic History, Modern Islam.

Following is the same lecture with better picture and sound quality but the video is in four parts:

http://www.halaltube.com/jonathan-brown ... -criticism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Malik495

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Nice sharing Pakistan1947.. you are really a very worth member of this forum.... only few lakeer k faqeer called you copy paste internet molvi.... dont care those .. contiue your posts... you are doing such an outstanding job for all members of this forum with such an outstanding knowledge of Islam.. Jazakallah khair...