One of the Most Stupid Decision in Cricket by Pakistan by not forcing the Follow-On today

Res1Pect

Minister (2k+ posts)
Having bowled Australia out cheaply in the first innings, Pakistan created huge chances for their win in this match. However, they made a horrendous decision of not forcing the follow-on which made their chances of winning the match go from Huge to slim, and even the fear of defeat may also creep in at some time if Pakistanis show a real poor performance in their second innings.

If they forced the follow-on, Australia would be under double pressure as they would be thinking of two targets, first to finish the deficit and second to post a reasonable total on the board. Under a bewildering pressure, they could easily crumble.

Pakistan has solved the Aussies problem of pressure by choosing to play their second innings. Now, Pakistan would be under pressure once they lose early wickets and if they are bowled out cheaply, then there would definitely be some chances for Aussies to win, and very bright chances to draw the test at least.

If Pakistan chose to force the follow-on, Aussies could have lost a few early wickets under pressure today in the last session of the game. This way, Pakistan had tremendously big chances to win the match.

I would simply term this decision of Pakistan as One of the Poorest Decisions made by any captain/management in cricketing history.

images

Last edited:

Res1Pect

Minister (2k+ posts)
Thank You, How many national teams have you led so far btw?

Your question shows that you're devoid of any brain in your skull.

I can simply smell a Noora around. My threads are not meant for Nooraz as after reading these posts NOORAZ put pressure on their 'empty vessels' which then' start making much noise'. So, just go and 'join the team of darbariz' that your KHIPIL sharif has made. The team that is running Pakistan, OH SORRY, the team that is RUINING Pakistan.

I can simply smell a Noora around.

Was it cricket?

Your question shows that you're devoid of any brain in your skull.

I can simply smell a Noora around. My threads are not meant for Nooraz as after reading these posts NOORAZ put pressure on their 'empty vessels' which then' start making much noise'. So, just go and 'join the team of darbariz' that your KHIPIL sharif has made. The team that is running Pakistan, OH SORRY, the team that is RUINING Pakistan.

I can simply smell a Noora around.

Abdul Allah

Minister (2k+ posts)
Keeping in view how un predictable pakistan is it good decision keeping in view that pakistan got chance to win series

msaeed89

Minister (2k+ posts)
I agree as Pakistani bowlers were not that tired also so a follow on should have been enforced and the momentum of picking up wickets in first innings would have definitely continued in the second innings, but having said that the team think tank is in better position of making any decision but it seems that Pakistanis were wary of batting on the fifth day if Australia by an chance manages to take any lead, a negative thinking though..

sadani

Minister (2k+ posts)
I also thought NOT TO make aussies follow on as with pakistanis batsmen previous history its always good to ensure that you will not lose the match n than go for win..... i think pak will make another 150 runs tomorrow m will declare before tea, thus giving a target of 500+ to aussies in around 130 overs......

Adeel

Founder
I personally feel it was a wise decision. This wicket is already helping spinners and will deteriorate even further in next two days. We need to get to 500 tomorrow and declare. From there we should be able to win this easily. InshAllah

Londonguy

Senator (1k+ posts)
This has to be one of the most stupid threads and observations on Cricket that I have seen

Eliminate ALL possibility of defeat and it leaves ONLY TWO possible results.

BOTH of which mean Pakistan win the series

Whether it is 1-0 or 2-0 does not matter

Pakistan batting last on the last day chasing even 125 plus after over 2 days of fielding

................... gives Aussie a chance

Now they have absolutely none whatsoever

Well done Misbah and Co You have done what NO Pak side has done in 20 years home and away against Aus

tz00007

Minister (2k+ posts)
i think the team made the right decision to bat 2nd innings

first, we all know pakistanis dont have a high fitness level and fielding two innings against australia would have cost them.. once these australians get into a batting stride they would have exhausted pakistani bowling and not only reach the target but give a good target

2nd, the 4th innings batting is tougher becoz of the pitch.. the foot marks play a vital role in spin and its difficult to at in the 4th innings.. if they had given pakistan a target around 200, it wouldve been very difficult for pakistan to chase..

not forcing the follow on, now pakistan can give them a target around 500 and then put them to bat.. the bowlers would be rested too and they have to face spin in 4th innings.. which would be very difficult to play

Res1Pect

Minister (2k+ posts)
I personally feel it was a wise decision. This wicket is already helping spinners and will deteriorate even further in next two days. We need to get to 500 tomorrow and declare. From there we should be able to win this easily. InshAllah

Australia was facing follow-on after 26 years. Forcing follow-on is snatching most of the confidence of your opponent. Secondly, going out for starting your innings, in the last session, the last hour of the game, doesn't make sense to me, by any means or manner. Pakistan have lost two early wickets, Aussies could have lost three or more, in the last hour of the play.

Anyway, I termed the decision of not forcing follow-on as poor one because by doing so Pakistan intentionally missed a chance to make History.....and History Favors the Brave.

escalations

MPA (400+ posts)
It was the correct decision knowing Pakistan team. As someone said above, our team can crumble chasing 125 on the last day. We will be better off defending 500, assuming we can score about 200.
For those of you who think all teams force follow on in all circumstances, lets examine the most watched and most celebrated Cricket Series, "The Ashes" and lets see what the most dominant cricket team in last 20 years has done.
2nd Test in last Ashes: http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013-14/engine/match/592398.html

miafridi

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
You are actually right. But they might have done so for their personal milestones. Younas khan will make new records(by scoring 4th consecutive hundred) while Misbah will score some runs to show that he is still a good candidate..

Or perhaps they couldn't take the chance of even having to chase a score of just over 100 if the Aussies had somehow got to such lead in their second innings, but instead they would pile up same 550 Plus score for Aussies to get their..

intekhab

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Nothing wrong with that decision........we can't bat under pressure and if we had to bat on the last day........any thing can happen.

Res1Pect

Minister (2k+ posts)
This has to be one of the most stupid threads and observations on Cricket that I have seen

Eliminate ALL possibility of defeat and it leaves ONLY TWO possible results.

BOTH of which mean Pakistan win the series

Whether it is 1-0 or 2-0 does not matter

Pakistan batting last on the last day chasing even 125 plus after over 2 days of fielding

................... gives Aussie a chance

Now they have absolutely none whatsoever

Well done Misbah and Co You have done what NO Pak side has done in 20 years home and away against Aus

You seem to belong to the clan of 'Aql e Kul' Talat Masood. Eliminate any possibility of defeat, as if this is a cake walk for Pakistan. Get life Mr. Aql e Kul, and read the comments given by experts of Cricket on Cricinfo and other websites regarding Pakistan's decision of not going to force the follow-on.

or You don't want to read 'all those stupid comments'???

Londonguy

Senator (1k+ posts)
You seem to belong to the clan of 'Aql e Kul' Talat Masood. Eliminate any possibility of defeat, as if this is a cake walk for Pakistan. Get life Mr. Aql e Kul, and read the comments given by experts of Cricket on Cricinfo and other websites regarding Pakistan's decision of not going to force the follow-on.

or You don't want to read 'all those stupid comments'???

Thanks but I could equally insult you and point you to "Experts" who would say that Misbah made the correct decision.

The whole reason was to do with how tired Pak bowlers were and to have to do it again straight away, would have let the Aussies in with a chance....

Grant Flower, Pakistan’s batting coach, was not privy to the decision, but suggested as much.
“Some of our bowlers were a bit tired, especially just the way it dragged on a little bit at the end. I think they just wanted the bowlers to come back and have a little breather.
“We’re trying to get to the stage where there is only one winner, especially being one-up in series. That is our thinking, if we can play them out of the game and set them something they can’t chase there can only be one winner.

Read more here

Despite only bowling 62 overs on the day, they were seen to be exhausted. Imran Khan bowled 11 overs on the day, Rahat Ali 9, Yasir Shah 14, and Zulfiqar Babar 24.4 overs in approximately in two sessions, as Australia were bowled out for 261. That, along with Pakistan's insecurity over batting second and chasing a target, probably prompted Misbah's conservativeness.

Cricinfo

But let me ask your expert opinion on what Pakistan would have achieved by forcing the follow on, that they cannot achieve by NOT doing to so ?

FINALLY show me a single "Expert" apart from your good self who has called this one of the most stupid decisions in the history of Pakistan cricket ?

Last edited:

Res1Pect

Minister (2k+ posts)
Thanks but I could equally insult you and point you to "Experts" who would say that Misbah made the correct decision.

The whole reason was to do with how tired Pak bowlers were and to have to do it again straight away, would have let the Aussies in with a chance....

Grant Flower, Pakistan’s batting coach, was not privy to the decision, but suggested as much.
“Some of our bowlers were a bit tired, especially just the way it dragged on a little bit at the end. I think they just wanted the bowlers to come back and have a little breather.
“We’re trying to get to the stage where there is only one winner, especially being one-up in series. That is our thinking, if we can play them out of the game and set them something they can’t chase there can only be one winner.

Read more here

But let me ask your expert opinion on what Pakistan would have achieved by forcing the follow on, that they cannot achieve by NOT doing to so ?

FINALLY show me a single "Expert" apart from your good self who has called this one of the most stupid decisions in the history of Pakistan cricket ?

So, as you believe "The whole reason was to do with how tired Pak bowlers were and to have to do it again straight away, would have let the Aussies in with a chance...."

It was only an hour's play left in the day, not even a complete session. Pakistani bowlers got the last two wickets in quick succession, though they were ready to bowl wholeheartedly for that complete session."

Anyone who is conversant with even the smatterings of cricket knows very well that '' every coach defends the decision taken by the captain or the management''. So, quoting G.Flower as an objective commentator is an abortive effort to prove your point."

Dean Jones, Ramiz Raja, Denny ... 9 out of 10 commentators of international elite panel were in favor of 'forcing the follow-on'...some said they were surprised by this decision, the others were simply baffled.

There are still pretty tangible chances that Pakistan would win the game, yet my point was not on winning and losing. My point was only on the manner of winning by writing it with eminent ink in the annals of history. Secondly, if it was the follow-on, Aussies would have lost some early wickets today in the last session. No sane captain would choose for his openers going out there to start their batting in the last hour of the day in a test match...it's too precarious, let alone call it prudent'...and the result of losing two early wickets proved this decision, too adventurous.

I stick to my guns by the dint of logic, show me a bit of it in yours.

Last edited: