Food imports drop 9.85pc in 10 months

A-Thinker

Minister (2k+ posts)
besiness-loan.jpg

ISLAMABAD: The country’s food imports dropped by 9.85pc to $4.7 billion in the first 10 months of the current fiscal year, as compared to the imports of $5.216 billion recorded during the same period of FY2017-18.

According to details, that import of palm oil witnessed a sharp decrease of 10.99pc during July-April 2018-19, as it went down to $1.54 billion from $1.73 billion in July-April 2017-18.

Similarly, import of pulses also fell to $432.54 million in the corresponding period of the current fiscal year, as against the import worth of $442.7 million in the same period of last year, showing a decrease of 2.3pc.

According to trade data released by the Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS) on Monday, the tea import recorded a nominal increase of 0.61pc, as the country imported $495.957 million worth of tea during the first 10 months of the current fiscal year as compared to the import of $492.966 million in the corresponding period of last year.

The import of milk, cream and milk food also witnessed a decline of 10pc to $199 million from $221.26 million in the same period of last year, whereas the import of dry fruits and nuts also plunged to $37.89 million in July-April 2018-19 against the import worth of $97.1 million in the same period of the preceding year.

Spices’ import during the period under review stood at $129.3 million, as against $136.8 million worth of import during the same period of last year, showing a decrease of 5.5pc.

Likewise, the import of soybean oil also declined sharply by 34.3pc to $79.12 million from $120.4 million, while the import of sugar decreased by 25.46pc to $3.24 million as compared to the import worth of $4.35 million in July-April 2017-18.

The import of other miscellaneous food commodities went down by 9.41pc to $1.786 billion in the first 10 months of the current fiscal year as compared to the import of $1.97 billion in the same period of last year.

On a yearly basis, the import of food commodities and products dropped to $441.088 million in April 2019 as compared to $485.86 million in the same month last year, showing a decrease of 9.22pc. On a monthly basis, imports grew by 12.3pc as they were recorded at $392.824 million.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

FreeCountry

MPA (400+ posts)
Drop in imported food is not good at all. All nicer restaurants need quality ingredients to cook quality meals.

They create tons of employments and drive up 17% sales tax revenue. Therefore food items imports should be allowed duty free so Pakistani cooks can experiment and serve quality international standard meals and drive up restaurant industry.

We need restaurant industry in near future for the promotion of tourism in Pakistan and without low-cost food imports it will not be possible.

First Strike

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Drop in imported food is not good at all. All nicer restaurants need quality ingredients to cook quality meals.

They create tons of employments and drive up 17% sales tax revenue. Therefore food items imports should be allowed duty free so Pakistani cooks can experiment and serve quality international standard meals and drive up restaurant industry.

We need restaurant industry in near future for the promotion of tourism in Pakistan and without low-cost food imports it will not be possible.

Pakistan is an agricultural country and produces high quality grains, fruits and vegetables. Only thing we need proper cold storage facilities and value addition.

stranger

so not agree with your opinion. Pakistan can focus on growing/producing agri/dairy products locally within couple of years. Where did you get that 17% sale tax figure and how do you know they all use imported food items? and how much is 17% sales tax revenue? please answer with facts and make us aware as well :)

stranger

اگر کھانے کے تیل کی درآمد میں اتنی کمی آئی ہے تو اسکا متبادل کیا یے؟ پاکستان میں پیدا ہونا شروع ہوا ہے یا کچھ اور وجہ؟
Pakistan should focus on dairy products and get rid of these processed oils and banaspati ghee once for ever. Our culture of desi ghee is not not only tasty but also better for health and well being.

BrotherKantu

پاکستان اک مقروض اور غریب ملک ہے.
اپنی اوقات میں رہنا چاہیے.

what_kind_of_idiot_are_you_4-f.jpg

BrotherKantu

فوڈ امپورٹ سو فی صد بند ہونی چاہیے.

دال روٹی پر گزارہ کرو
جو اوقات ہے ہماری.
ان چوروں نے ادھار کے پیسوں سے بہت عیاشی کروا دی ہے اس نکمی اور ڈنگر قوم کی اپنی لوٹ کی خاطر.

اپنی اوقات میں آؤ

FreeCountry

MPA (400+ posts)
so not agree with your opinion. Pakistan can focus on growing/producing agri/dairy products locally within couple of years. Where did you get that 17% sale tax figure and how do you know they all use imported food items? and how much is 17% sales tax revenue? please answer with facts and make us aware as well :)

- Sir, all fine dinning restaurants collect 17% sales tax and then report it to FBR.

-2ndly, Pakistan doesn't produce such high quality ingredients needed to introduce international standard culinary delights which can attract more tourist.

- For example, cheese that Pakistan produces is very low quality. Foreign visitors will not even feed it to their dog, let alone paying prices higher than other international destinations.

-Good quality cheese costs around 4000 per Kg after import duty in Pakistan when same cheese is being sold in Dubai for around 700 per KG. How do you expect Pakistani restaurant industry to compete with other international destinations like UAE who is well-known for offering cheap food for tourists.

- Also culinary industry is an art, Pakistan is barely starting on this path and imported foods are a must to develop international standard chefs.

- Pakistan local food manufacturing industry SAITH SAHIBS will never make quality ingredients until you open cheap imports and run them out of business. Only then they will realize and try to compete with international producers and hopefully will beat them some day.

- Biggest of all reasons is that even a small restaurant can create 25-50 and even 100 jobs as soon they open their door. Allow high quality and cheaper imports will help them open more doors and more economic activity and more employment.

- I think benefit of duty free imported food items are much more than collecting few crores in custom duties.

- Last but not the least, stunted growth and malnutrition in Pakistan is partly because food items are so damn expensive that people spend most of their earnings just on food. If there is cheaper food available outside Pakistan, we should allow it duty free so no kid go hungry in Pakistan.

I am sure eventually, our market and harmkhor food producers will correct their actions and food will become cheaper like many other countries around us.

Iconoclast

And Saudi Arabia, Venezuela and Iran need to start importing oil........ in an alternate universe perhaps.

Modest

Pakistan should not be importing any food items. We are an agriculture country & we can increase agricultural growth by the use of advance technology in the agriculture sector. Plus we urgently need to improve our storage capabilities, have more cold storage plants in every district. We can earn billions of dollars from the exports of vegetables, fruits, fish, chicken, meat, dairy products etc

FreeCountry

MPA (400+ posts)
And Saudi Arabia, Venezuela and Iran need to start importing oil........ in an alternate universe perhaps.

OK Smartman,
Here is the list of few cheeses I need to cook meals for tourists. Please produce it for me and provide to me at least same rate it's available in Dubai or Bangkok or Manila.

- Provolone Cheese
- Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Mediteranian Feta Cheese
- Dried Parmasan Cheese
- Blue Cheese
- Queso Fresco

You people can only do bakbak without any homework.

BrotherKantu

Daal Roti Khanee Kaun Beghairat Tourist Yahan Ayee Ga. Aur Daal Bhi Itnee Expenssive in Pakistan.

سچی بات تو یہ ہے کہ دنیا پاکستان کے خوبصورت نظارے ، بھوک ننگ اور جہالت دیکھنے اتی ہے.
جو اور ساری دنیا میں سے ختم ہوتی جا رہی ہے.

insouciant

Minister (2k+ posts)
Which desi dish uses any of these cheeses?? Do tourists come here to eat continental or Desi food?? ? ? Don't tell me their biggest food attraction in Pakistan is Italian food and hence we see their videos or vlogs filled with none!!

Bongi maar di hai.. it's ok to show a bigger heart and take your point back! As far as fine dining for elite is concerned, don't worry they can even afford to pay $100 for their meal. It won't hurt us to tripple or quadruple customs duties on food imports!!

OK Smartman,
Here is the list of few cheeses I need to cook meals for tourists. Please produce it for me and provide to me at least same rate it's available in Dubai or Bangkok or Manila.

- Provolone Cheese
- Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Dried Parmasan Cheese
- Blue Cheese
- Queso Fresco

Iconoclast

OK Smartman,

- Provolone Cheese
- Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Dried Parmasan Cheese
- Blue Cheese
- Queso Fresco

OOO I'm surprised you talk about quality cheese and forgot to mention Parmigiano Reggiano?
Anyways, those things are consumed by a very small portion and shouldn't have a drastic affect on things.
Those who want to dine fine wouldn't mind paying a few extra rupees. I wouldn't if I feel the need to have bouts of vanity of gastronomy.
We're a poor country and tourists are here for local cuisine, not to see the brown man trying out western delicacies. You can never make them feel like they're home. ;)

stranger

- Sir, all fine dinning restaurants collect 17% sales tax and then report it to FBR.

-2ndly, Pakistan doesn't produce such high quality ingredients needed to introduce international standard culinary delights which can attract more tourist.

- For example, cheese that Pakistan produces is very low quality. Foreign visitors will not even feed it to their dog, let alone paying prices higher than other international destinations.

-Good quality cheese costs around 4000 per Kg after import duty in Pakistan when same cheese is being sold in Dubai for around 700 per KG. How do you expect Pakistani restaurant industry to compete with other international destinations like UAE who is well-known for offering cheap food for tourists.

- Also culinary industry is an art, Pakistan is barely starting on this path and imported foods are a must to develop international standard chefs.

- Pakistan local food manufacturing industry SAITH SAHIBS will never make quality ingredients until you open cheap imports and run them out of business. Only then they will realize and try to compete with international producers and hopefully will beat them some day.

- Biggest of all reasons is that even a small restaurant can create 25-50 and even 100 jobs as soon they open their door. Allow high quality and cheaper imports will help them open more doors and more economic activity and more employment.

- I think benefit of duty free imported food items are much more than collecting few crores in custom duties.

- Last but not the least, stunted growth and malnutrition in Pakistan is partly because food items are so damn expensive that people spend most of their earnings just on food. If there is cheaper food available outside Pakistan, we should allow it duty free so no kid go hungry in Pakistan.

I am sure eventually, our market and harmkhor food producers will correct their actions and food will become cheaper like many other countries around us.

major food industry is local and they have local ingredients... if you include bigger fast food chains which are not healthy then story is different.... I asked how much is tax collected by those restaurants who use imported stuff???

My point is we should focus on production of local good quality products like Netherlands where the whole economy is dependent on dairy and agriculture despite havingfar less agri land as compare to Pakistan. If they can, why cant we????

Regarding tourists, usually tourists prefer to eat local food because they want to experiment local dishes..... secondly we dont have so many tourists for now... and currently there are many good restaurants where tourists can go and will increase with time...

Local industry will flourish only when imported items will become so expensive that one cannot afford them and people will look for their local alternates.

Regarding stunted growth issue, there are two reason, unavailability of food and unhealthy food (poor dont eat imported food)... most of the foreign food chains supply processed fast food which is unhealthy and is a reason for that stunted growth... malnutrition is also liked with processed foods which we import. only logical way to overcome these issues is to aggressively work on farming and agriculture and produce raw food in large quantities so that food become affordable to everyone. and the surplus food then can be processed to sell to other countries (the way they sell us unhealthy food)