Was al-Khidr (خضر) an angel, a Messenger, a Prophet or a wali (saint)?

Pakistani1947

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Q: Was al-Khidr (خضر) an angel, a Messenger, a Prophet or a wali (saint)?

Ans: Praise be to Allaah.

The from the general meaning of the Quraanic verses it appears that he was a Prophet.​

Shaykh al-Shanqeeti (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his commentary on the aayah (interpretation of the meaning)​
Then they found one of Our slaves, on whom We had bestowed mercy from Us, and whom We had taught knowledge from Us​
[al-Kahf 18:65]​

But it may be understood from some aayahs that the mercy mentioned here was the mercy of Prophethood, and that this knowledge which came from Allaah was the knowledge of revelation (wahy) It is known that mercy and the bestowal of knowledge from Allaah is more general and comes in more ways than via Prophethood. The fact that something general exists does not necessarily imply that something more specific exists, as is well known. One of the indications that the mercy and knowledge with which Allaah blessed His slave al-Khidr came by way of Prophethood and revelation is the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):​
And I did them not of my own accord[al-Kahf 18:82]​

i.e., rather I did them by the command of Allaah, and the command of Allaah is only conveyed via wahy (revelation), because there is no way for the commands and prohibitions of Allaah to be known except through revelation from Allaah, especially with regard to the killing of an apparently innocent soul and damaging a ship by making a hole in it, because committing acts of aggression against peoples lives and wealth can only be validated via revelation from Allaah. Allaah has restricted the method of warning to revelation as He says (interpretation of the meaning):​
Say (O Muhammad): I warn you only by the Revelation
[al-Anbiya 21:45]​

the word innama (translated here as only) implies limitation or restriction.​
Adwaa al-Bayaan, 4/172, 173​

And he said:​
From all of this we know that al-Khidrs killing the boy and making a hole in the ship, and his saying,​

And I did them not of my own accord​
[al-Kahf 18:82 interpretation of the meaning]]​

clearly indicate that he was a Prophet. Al-Fakhr al-Raazi, in his tafseer, attributed the view that he was a Prophet to many scholars. Another factor that may indicate that he was a Prophet is the fact that Moosa (peace be upon him) humbled himself before him and said (interpretation of the meaning):​

May I follow you so that you teach me something of that knowledge (guidance and true path) which you have been taught (by Allaah)?[al-Kahf 18:66]​

If Allaah wills, you will find me patient, and I will not disobey you in aught[al-Kahf 18:69]​

even though al-Khidr said to him (interpretation of the meaning):​

And how can you have patience about a thing which you know not? [al-Kahf 18:68]​

Adwaa al-Bayaan, 3/326.

Source: IslamQA.com

Pakistani1947

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
IslamQA is not an authentic website .. this has nothing to do with the above text it may be correct.

If someone is presenting their point of view with reference to Quraan and and Hadeeth, either accept it or provide evidence if something is wrong the the text/translation of Quraan or criticize the authenticity of Hadeeth with evidence.

It is not enough just to say that it is not authentic website. You must provide evidence for this accusation.

I am waiting for your counter argument if you think that Hazrat Khizar (AS) was not a Prophet.

Last edited:

jahanzaibi

Senator (1k+ posts)
First i didn't comment on the point that he was a prophet or not ...

few argument ...
It is not mention that he was a prophet and everyone is slave of Allah.. and Allah Mercy is over everything.
as far as revelation is concern it is sent to Maryyam (A.S) and mother of Mosa (A.S) but they were not prophet because every prophet was a man.
also word wahy is used for Honey Bee..

Still i will not comment about Hazarat Khidar (A.S) i don't find any benefit getting out from this .. but the story has a power full message that we should understand.

I commented about the website IslamQA not the question and answer.. :)

“May I follow you so that you teach me something of that knowledge (guidance and true path) which you have been taught (by Allaah)?”[al-Kahf 18:66]

here the follow is not in the sense that he will follow him in sharia (guidance and true path) ..the follow here is to follow him in the journey to learn something from the specific Ilm which Allah gave to Khidar (A.S).. because Mosa(A.S) was a messenger with a Sharia and everyone from bani israel has to follow him. and he get all the instruction from Allah. which was written in torrah.

Last edited:

jahanzaibi

Senator (1k+ posts)
If someone is presenting their point of view with reference to Quraan and and Hadeeth, either accept it or provide evidence if something is wrong the the text/translation of Quraan or criticize the authenticity of Hadeeth with evidence.

It is not enough just to say that it is not authentic website. You must provide evidence for this accusation.

I am waiting for your counter argument if you think that Hazrat Khizar (AS) was not a Prophet.

First i didn't comment on the point that he was a prophet or not ...

few argument ...
It is not mention that he was a prophet and everyone is slave of Allah.. and Allah Mercy is over everything.
as far as revelation is concern it is sent to Maryyam (A.S) and mother of Mosa (A.S) but they were not prophet because every prophet was a man.
also word wahy is used for Honey Bee..

Still i will not comment about Hazarat Khidar (A.S) i don't find any benefit getting out from this .. but the story has a power full message that we should understand.

I commented about the website IslamQA not the question and answer.. :)

“May I follow you so that you teach me something of that knowledge (guidance and true path) which you have been taught (by Allaah)?”[al-Kahf 18:66]

here the follow is not in the sense that he will follow him in sharia (guidance and true path) ..the follow here is to follow him in the journey to learn something from the specific Ilm which Allah gave to Khidar (A.S).. because Mosa(A.S) was a messenger with a Sharia and everyone from bani israel has to follow him. and he get all the instruction from Allah. which was written in torrah.

molson4u

Senator (1k+ posts)
Pakistan1947... May I ask how old are you? If you don't know that hazarat Khizar was a prophet, angel or saint, I pity on your knowledge of Islam or maybe you are just trying to confuse people. Every Muslim know that hazarat Khazir(AS) was a prophet of Allah.

basim973

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Pakistan1947... May I ask how old are you? If you don't know that hazarat Khizar was a prophet, angel or saint, I pity on your knowledge of Islam or maybe you are just trying to confuse people. Every Muslim know that hazarat Khazir(AS) was a prophet of Allah.

Only Allah knows the true intensions in the heart of brother behind initiating this thread.
But one fact we all know that people from sufism try to present Hazrat Khizar (A.S.) as wali and then try to put forward their own interests etc.

May Allah guide us all to the right path to Junnah.

nauman

Senator (1k+ posts)
Brother I am not saying that you are wrong but their is big debate in different sects.all bralvi beleive that he was not nabi but wali

theexile

MPA (400+ posts)
Ok, Ask a barelvi alim, if a WALI has a dream in which he is commanded to slaughter his own son like sayyadna Ibrahim A.S., will he do it? Ibrahim A.S. was a prophet and a prophet's dream is a revelation..

Brother I am not saying that you are wrong but their is big debate in different sects.all bralvi beleive that he was not nabi but wali

Last edited:

Wadaich

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
Aren't Muhkamaat sufficient for U to be a perfect Muslim. Why are we debating on "Mutashaabihaat"? Few days ago we blackened the pages after pages over "Khudkhud's being a human or bird", and now we are on "Khazrat-e-Khizar (A.S)". It seems to me Ulama-e-Baghdaad are deciding whether or not a camel can cross through the whole of needle. What stunning and ironical resemblance the current situation has to the Baghdadi's.

babadeena

Minister (2k+ posts)
Please let me know the "Source" which confirms that the name of that
Slave was "al-Khidr". Leave aside if he was prophet, saint or wali.
Why the people are not content with what is in Quran?

Jaldikar

Banned
This thread is misleading because the reason given by Shanqeeti that God only communicates through revelations and so Khidr was a Prophet is utterly baseless and deviating. The Almighty Allah has communicated with Hadhrat Maryam via angels as well so does that mean she was a Prophet?

And [mention] when the angels said, "O Mary, indeed Allah has chosen you and purified you and chosen you above the women of the worlds (Quran - 3:42)

O Mary, be devoutly obedient to your Lord and prostrate and bow with those who bow [in prayer]." (3:43)

That is from the news of the unseen which We reveal to you, [O Muhammad]. And you were not with them when they cast their pens as to which of them should be responsible for Mary. Nor were you with them when they disputed (3:44)

[And mention] when the angels said, "O Mary, indeed Allah gives you good tidings of a word from Him, whose name will be the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary - distinguished in this world and the Hereafter and among those brought near [to Allah]. (3:45)

He will speak to the people in the cradle and in maturity and will be of the righteous." (3:46)

She said, "My Lord, how will I have a child when no man has touched me?" [The angel] said, "Such is Allah ; He creates what He wills. When He decrees a matter, He only says to it, 'Be,' and it is.(3:47)

babadeena

Minister (2k+ posts)
This is really very UNFORTUNATE for Muslims that they are never
content with what Allah(SWT) has said in Quran, they just resort to
other sources specially the Israeliyaat to supplement or augment the
information contained in Quran.
If Allah(SWT) has not given the name to that "slave" in Quran;
and has not declared him either as a Prophet, Rasool, Angel, Saint or
Wali, but mentioned that He was "our slave" to whom I have given
this, this, this, Why the people still feel the lust to dig the mountains
just for nothing.
Resorting to such practices may fetch more harm than
the benefit. Better to resist and be content what is in Quran.

Wadaich

Prime Minister (20k+ posts)
This is really very UNFORTUNATE for Muslims that they are never
content with what Allah(SWT) has said in Quran, they just resort to
other sources specially the Israeliyaat to supplement or augment the
information contained in Quran.
If Allah(SWT) has not given the name to that "slave" in Quran;
and has not declared him either as a Prophet, Rasool, Angel, Saint or
Wali, but mentioned that He was "our slave" to whom I have given
this, this, this, Why the people still feel the lust to dig the mountains
just for nothing.
Resorting to such practices may fetch more harm than
the benefit. Better to resist and be content what is in Quran.

And this attitude is the true cause of Fitna among the believers. The Trojan Horse Non-Muslims Qadiyani's start such threads on which different schools of thought among Muslims have different opinion, and our scholarly brothers start bashing each other. Now this thread seems to be a "Jawab aan Ghazal" by our respected senior brother, but unfortunately it supports the fitna desired by non muslims. May Allah (SWT) guide us all.