The dark side of CSR: A good read

mardankhan

Politcal Worker (100+ posts)
Source: http://www.csrcafe.com/2016/05/The-dangerous-of-greenwashing-for-CSR.html

CSR.jpg
source: oneplanet-sustainability.org
Introduction

The initiative of Toyota while recognizing the importance of nature i.e. the introduction of Prius, Ford's desire of joining the "Green Revolution" and the Facebook's friendship with the "Greenpeace", all are good efforts are such organizations really walk the talk? Today, I have decided to start a new series of my blogs about an important challenge for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) practitioners, researchers and other stakeholders which can make all their efforts of doing good go in vain. This challenge is the Green-washing.

Green-washing
Guy Pearse in his book Greenwash (2012) suggest that these are such business practices which are more concerned with enhancing profitability than with the ethical perspective. Stakeholders might see the CSR practices as green-wash if they see contradictions between an organization's contribution towards the people and environment etc. and their tall claims. My personal opinion is that CSR is probably the most widely misused notion in the current arena of corporations which need immediate attention of those stakeholders who cares for the environment, society and overall social performance.

Despite the widespread examples available throughout the world about green-washing, it always reminds me of the earthquake which struck different parts of Pakistan on October 08, 2005. With over 86,000 deaths, more than 69,000 injured and thousands of houses destroyed, organizations even then could not forget about their selfish behaviors of green-washing. Back then, I was among the many volunteers who were working for the rehabilitation of those affected people.

CSR%2Birresponsibility.jpg
source: examiner.com
I noticed that many organizations during that time use to come and donate various items (tents, clothing, medicine etc.) for the affected people. Many of them were genuinely contributing and donating, however, there were a large number of organizations who were involved in green-washing. For example, I remember quite a few companies who donated e.g. 100 tents but claimed on websites that they donated 5000. When the authorities investigated them, they simply got away with an excuse of "typographical error" etc.

Impact of Green-washing
Researchers and practitioners are warning against green-washing and suggest that it will have negative implications for the organizations. If stakeholders perceive an organization's efforts as green-washing, they think that organizations are selfish and they are exploiting a sacred cause for the self interest of increasing profitability only. Because of this, stakeholders' confidence in the company diminishes. Therefore, gaining their trust for mutual collaboration for other sacred causes will be a challenging task.

I have recently completed my PhD on this dimension of CSR which has been highlighted by many other leading researchers too such as Rupp & Mallory (2015) termed it as the "dark side". I will discuss my findings in some future blog, however, for the readers of this blog, I can only say that not all CSR practices may evoke positive results. The green-washing is the culprit in this. Therefore, whether organization must design such type of communication strategies which can avoid the (intentional or unintentional) green-washing trapdoor.

What do you think? Share your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator: